PDA

View Full Version : KCchiefs.com: Q&A with Dick Vermeil 10/27

NewChief
10-28-2004, 07:52 AM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2004/10/27/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

Q&A with Dick Vermeil
Oct 27, 2004, 4:34:29 PM

INDIANAPOLIS CONFERENCE CALL

Q: Can you continue your momentum this week against Indianapolis after last week’s 56-point output?

VERMEIL: “We’re not going to (score 56 points) again, but hopefully we can play well again. You coach very few times in your whole career where everything goes like that did, but we know who we’re up against this week. We just have to continue to play well. We haven’t played well enough to win two in a row, so that’s why we only have two wins.”

Q: Is revenge in the Chiefs vocabulary this week?

VERMEIL: “All of those things to me are artificial. I think the motivation to play well is a process that takes place when you’re putting a roster together with the kind of kids who have the passion to play the game, but regardless of who it is, or where it is, or what time it is. And you work that way, you prepare that way. I don’t believe in revenge. I don’t believe in grudges and those kinds of things. I never have. If the players want to look at it as a revenge, that’s fine with me. But to me, it’s a very important football game and we have to play well.”

Q: How is QB Trent Green is playing?

VERMEIL: “Very well. Sometimes, he gets overlooked in a game like last week, but he was 20-for-27 with three drops. Between when he took over starter here and Peyton there, Peyton’s the only one who’s thrown for more yards in the National Football League than Trent Green. So, he’s doing well.”

Q: With the attention QBs such as Peyton Manning and Steve McNair get, does Trent Green go unnoticed sometimes?

VERMEIL: “I think he may go unnoticed, but not unappreciated, especially here in Kansas City. He has started more consecutive games now, I think, than any quarterback in the history of the Chiefs. He’s played well. We just have to keep him healthy. The offensive line has to keep him protected, better than we did in Jacksonville. I think he’ll continue to play well.”

Q: Was he able to enjoy last year’s playoff game, being in that spotlight?

VERMEIL: “I think we all have to, in this business, appreciate certain things that aren’t as tasteful as others, or as easy to swallow, but I thought the fans were treated to an outstanding football game. They were deeply involved in it. I have so much respect for the job (Head Coach) Tony (Dungy) did with his offense and his quarterback and how they handled all of that noise. So, from that standpoint, there’s a level of respect that makes you appreciate a game like that, along with the disappointment.”

Q: Are you able to follow your own leadership style?

VERMEIL: “I think number one, that’s true. But like I say to my coaches, leadership is a never-ending process. We, in leadership positions, we, as teachers, ought to always be increasing or improving our leadership skills, just as we try to improve our technical skills and our knowledge skills, our own individual leadership skills and our communication skills. It’s a process.”

Q: What are your impressions of Peyton Manning and Daunte Culpepper’s numbers so far this season?

VERMEIL: “I think that’s the one reflection of the rules. I think that helps a lot, and Peyton Manning is extremely accurate. The rules that they are today, you aren’t going to be in the face of receivers downfield… you’re going to be close. And a lot of times close is all you need, but with Peyton Manning, you have to be closer than close. You either have to knock it down or the receiver catches it, because he isn’t going to miss many. You look at him throwing in the red zone as he does, and the receiving corps that he has, and an extremely well-coached, veteran offensive line providing him protection in their scheme, it makes it very, very difficult.”

Q: What are your overall thoughts on the Colts?

VERMEIL: “When I think of the Colts, I think of efficiency. I think of great definition of purpose, especially within the offense. I think the coaches there do a great job of defining how they’re going to try to win the football game, and then they stick with that plan. I don’t think they try to re-invent the world each week. They take advantage of their talent people. They execute extremely well, and I think it’s a great thing if you give a football team its definition, and it’s ‘how to win.’ Defensively, I see kids scrapping (hard), playing as hard as they can play. They are a little short on talent in some spots, like a lot of defensive teams are. I know we started out struggling and we’re gradually getting better. But, (the Colts) get you in the red zone. They get after you. I think it’s a tremendous tribute to their coaches.”