PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Coordinator for a Day...

Gaz
10-28-2004, 08:25 AM
Got a plan?

xoxo~
Gaz
Consulting the Planet OCs.

Skip Towne
10-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Run over dey azz.

HC_Chief
10-28-2004, 08:31 AM
I'd run 2/3 of the time. Playaction and screens would be the majority of the passes (you know, play to our team's STRENGTHS)

Chiefnj
10-28-2004, 08:31 AM
1. Run Priest.
2. Short pass to Priest.
3. Look for Gonzo on a LB.
4. Occassional deep play action.

ROYC75
10-28-2004, 08:36 AM
I would do all of what's been said in post # 2 ,3, and 4.

Sounds like a wining formula to me.

BigRedChief
10-28-2004, 08:36 AM
I know that Indy has the last rated passing defense in the NFL. But you dance with the one who brung ya. Priest is the man. Priest will be the reason the season gets turned around. Give the damn ball to Priest.

Iowanian
10-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Dwight Freeney is an undersized, speed rushing DE..........Willie Roaf Owned him in the playoff game.........I vote Run left, run left pass.....run right run left, PA pass..........

Find the weak link and beat it like a drum all day long.

Batter them, control the ball while getting passing yardage vs their weak secondary.........

40 runs 22 passes is a KC win.

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Ive allways one to break from tradition, so I would punt on first down.

Mark M
10-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Turn it into football pre-1930.

MM
~~:)

Iowanian
10-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Mark wants to run the Wishbone and Wing T all day?

CosmicPal
10-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Indy loses the game if they don't have the ball as much as you do. Therefore, establish the running game like we did against Atlanta and Baltimore.

The longer you keep their Defense on the field, the better your chances of winning. 1. It will keep Manning OFF the field, and 2. It will wear out their D which doesn't have much depth.

I'll be pissed if Saunders goes pass happy again. We will not be able to get into an air attack with Indy and expect to win...unless we can create turnovers in the process.

Mark M
Mark wants to run the Wishbone and Wing T all day?And that would be a problem because ... ?

;)

Seriously, though, the best way to beat Pay-me-ton is to keep his dorky ass on the bench.

If Priest gets fewer than 30 carries KC will lose. Hell, they may lose anyway, but KC MUST dominate time of possession.

MM
~~:arrow:

Gaz

I am a big proponent of Confusion to The Enemy, but something about that strategy troubles me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Trying to put his finger on the problem.

HC_Chief

"Die, you gravy-sucking pigs"
"Try to make a touchdown, you scumbags!"

2bikemike
10-28-2004, 08:47 AM
I would utilize big Jason Dunn more. Use that jumbo package to run Holmes down their throat. It would also open up the opportunity for him (Dunn) to be another check down reciever. I would play action that kind of stuff all day and then hit the big one every now and then.

I really think we need a game like Baltimore and Atlanta to win. Fought along the line of scrimmage.

Gaz
10-28-2004, 08:49 AM
What, no love for the D?

xoxo~
Gaz
Shocked, amazed and dismayed.

Mark M
10-28-2004, 08:54 AM
What, no love for the D?

xoxo~
Gaz
Shocked, amazed and dismayed.

Love? No.

Hope? Yes.

Prayer? Can't hurt ...

MM
~~:grovel:

KCTitus
10-28-2004, 08:58 AM
I am a big proponent of Confusion to The Enemy, but something about that strategy troubles me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Trying to put his finger on the problem.

Since you're an engineer...I have faith you'll figure it out.

BigRedChief
10-28-2004, 08:58 AM
yep, I agree with the majority here. Our best hope of winning is keeping Peyton and his boys on the bench and Priest and his homies out on the field.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Score more points than the Colts.

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Yeah, run to setup the PA pass/screen,

Cormac
10-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Set up basically the same plan as we utilised against the Falcons. That doesn't mean run, run and more run. That only arose because we had such a huge cushion on the scoreboard. Basically establish the run and hit them on the play-action. I like this approach better than the "attack their weak pass defense" approach. While their pass D might be weaker than their run D, we have the best rushing attack in the league and can run on anybody until proven otherwise. If for some reason the running game takes a long time to get on track, then we can always use plan B, and become pass happy.

I have confidence we can get a successful running game going, and with that, dominate in TOP. That could be the key. This is not the game to get into a shootout. We have shown that that might not work in the playoff game. Let's do what we do best, which is the safest and most logical approach.

I want to see Brian Waters flexing his muscles on the goal-line at the opposing D after a long drive again :D

Bearcat
10-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Run and pass. Play action and screens to confuse The Enemy

Establish the Priest game, with runs and screens to setup some big plays downfield... what others said...... mix it up, but lean towards the running game, and don't get pass happy. Keep Manning on the sideline.

Prayer? Can't hurt ...

Depends on who you're praying to :p

FAX
10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Mr. Gaz, my compliments to you on your poll. The options you have chosen are inciteful. I am particularly pleased that the "bite me" option has received no votes as yet.

My analysis is as follows:

I watched the second half of the Atlanta game last night and noticed that, almost without exception, Atlanta's defense was playing with only 4 to 5 men in the box. Indeed, often their linebackers were some 5 to 7 yards off the line of scrimmage even though the Chiefs had run through their 4/3 defense throughout the afternoon. Can it not be assumed that Tony Dungy and his staff have also seen this strategy and may consider this approach as the weakness in Atlanta's defensive scheme that led to 8 rushing touchdowns?

Therefore, one might assume that Dungy will stack the line, run blitz, and generally pin his fortunes on stopping the run. If this is indeed his strategy, and considering the general ineffectiveness of the Indy pass defense, Saunders & Co. may find that the short to intermediate passing game off the play action might result in clock control and field position which, in any event, will likely be the key to the game.

It would come as no surprise to me if Tony Richardson caught 15 balls in this game.

Best,

FAX

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Mr. Gaz, my compliments to you on your poll. The options you have chosen are inciteful. I am particularly pleased that the "bite me" option has received no votes as yet.

I watched the second half of the Atlanta game last night and noticed that, almost without exception, Atlanta's defense was playing with only 4 to 5 men in the box. Indeed, often their linebackers were some 5 to 7 yards off the line of scrimmage even though the Chiefs had run through their 4/3 defense throughout the afternoon. Can it not be assumed that Tony Dungy and his staff have also seen this strategy and may consider this approach as the weakness in Atlanta's defensive scheme that led to 8 rushing touchdowns?

Therefore, one might assume that Dungy will stack the line, run blitz, and generally pin his fortunes on stopping the run. If this is indeed his strategy, and considering the general ineffectiveness of the Indy pass defense, Saunders & Co. may find that the short to intermediate passing game off the play action might result in clock control and field position which, in any event, will likely be the key to the game.

It would come as no surprise to me if Tony Richardson caught 15 balls in this game.

Best,

FAX
So the Question becomes, how many colts does it take to tackle a Priest?

FAX
10-28-2004, 11:19 AM
Mr. Nightfyre, you raise an interesting point.

To wit: I also noticed that, in the Atlanta game, Priest was not "breaking" many tackles. Often he didn't have to. In fact (although I have no proof), it appeared that when Priest realized he had maximized the line of gain, he chose to go down, protect the ball, and live to run another down/day.

In my humble opinion, there are really two issues here; 1) Should we assume that the OL, TEs, and FB have the ability to continue to open seams for Priest when the DL is stacked or 2) Should we anticipate the Indy scheme and attack the weakness exposed by both their strategy and their inherent defensive weakness.

Best,

FAX

Bearcat
10-28-2004, 11:25 AM

I had touched on this in another thread... wondering where the chess match would begin. It'll be interesting to see if we try to force the running game, no matter the defense, or if AS is thinking Dungy will do this, and gets pass happy. If the O-Line plays like they did last week, it won't matter. If Dungy starts with this strategy -- like you said -- a few misdirection plays, screens, and play action passes will open up some room for Priest :thumb:

Coogs
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Run the ball and mix in the play action pass. :thumb:

kczoo
10-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Pass it once every 8 plays or so...We need clock control period!

CosmicPal
10-28-2004, 11:33 AM

It is almost a given Indy WILL stack the line to try to cut off our running game. Indy knows the best way to beat us is to keep the running game from chewing up the clock...they would much rather see this turn out to be a passing duel. They know if they can get any team in the league into a passing duel- they will win most of their games. To get there though, Indy has to strike early and often- once they do that, KC will be forced into a passing game.

What we do on offense at first is really irrelevant- We WILL win this game IF our defense can stop Indy from scoring too early, too often....If our D can clamp Indy on 3 out of their first 5 drives for instance- it will be the responsibility of our offense to then make things happen- particularly with the running game.

FAX
10-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Mr. Coogs. With all respect, I am not suggesting that anything is "broken". Far from it.

I am suggesting, however, that it is an open question as to whether or not the impressive dominance of the Chiefs run blocking last Sunday will be attributed (by Dungy and staff) at least in part to the defensive scheme run by Atlanta. If that is the case, one might reasonably assume that when Dungy attempts to take "something" away from the Chief's Offense, he will choose the run. Were I preparing for the Chiefs this week, I would focus on taking away (or at least limiting) the Chiefs run game as much as possible. Who wouldn't?

Given that assumption, the short and intermediate passing game to Richardson, Gonzales, and Dunn emerges as a very interesting counter since the opposing linebackers may well be preoccupied with the line of scrimmage.

Best,

FAX

Coogs
10-28-2004, 11:39 AM
FAX,

Sorry! I wasn't responding to your post. In fact, I haven't had time to read any of the responses. I was just responding to Gaz's original question.

Hydrae
10-28-2004, 11:40 AM

Best,

FAX

If they start stacking the box and run blitzing then we need to be finding Tony G down the seam. I also think we finally saw that there are still some screen passes in the scheme, we need to get back to that as well. Basically, if they want to stack the box, we invite them into the backfield and then use the short passing game in lieu of the running game. Once we get them back off the line, we go back to the running game we all saw last week.

And of course, the occasional deep ball to Kennison to keep the safeties honest! :D

gblowfish
10-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Colts first play from scrimmage...all 11 Chiefs defenders jump on Peyton and twist limbs, leg whip, chop block, bite fingers and gough eyes. They go up 7- zip, but so what? Peyton's in the whirlpool. Who's the Colts backup QB these days?

Uh oh...I'm thinking like a Donks fan now! Bad sportmanship...bad!!

Listen for the standing ovation the first time the Colts have to punt.
Go get em' Gun!!! I can't wait. Halloween at Arrowhead...should be kooky!

Calcountry
10-28-2004, 11:45 AM
I would run, draw or screen when they expect pass.

I would pass on first down, every other time. Run the rest of the time.

FAX
10-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Mr. Hydrae. I completly agree with your analysis. Although I can't help but envision Tony Richardson also slipping off linebackers on play action into the middle and the flat for consistent gains of 8 to 12 yards due to the respect Indy must now pay to the run.

Best,

FAX

Straight, No Chaser
10-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Mr. Coogs. With all respect, I am not suggesting that anything is "broken". Far from it.

I am suggesting, however, that it is an open question as to whether or not the impressive dominance of the Chiefs run blocking last Sunday will be attributed (by Dungy and staff) at least in part to the defensive scheme run by Atlanta. If that is the case, one might reasonably assume that when Dungy attempts to take "something" away from the Chief's Offense, he will choose the run. Were I preparing for the Chiefs this week, I would focus on taking away (or at least limiting) the Chiefs run game as much as possible. Who wouldn't?

Given that assumption, the short and intermediate passing game to Richardson, Gonzales, and Dunn emerges as a very interesting counter since the opposing linebackers may well be preoccupied with the line of scrimmage.

Best,

FAX

It's not reasonable to ASSume you know Dungy's strategy unless your his monkey (that little dude on his shoulder). You're better off just saying what you mean.
Why not the obvious? Run the ball. Run over Waters, Roaf, Shields, Weigman and Welbourne. From this all else is possible. I would stick with the run even if the Colts stack the line with success early. This team needs an identity to emerge. That would be a dominant running game that says to the other team "Stop Us". Enough of this over-scheming crap. Jam It Down Their Throats First. If we can't do that in our own house then go to the passing game --as a last resort.

--->

FAX
10-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Mr. Straight, No Chaser. Any offense you have taken from my analysis was unintentional, I assure you.

Perhaps this will help. Based on Mr. Gaz's question, "Got a plan?", I suggested one. It is an approach to countering what "one might reasonably assume" will be the opponent's scheme to address the rushing dominance displayed in last week's game. Can you not agree that any opponent would now be concerned with our running attack? Are you aware of any methods that remain unmentioned for accomplishing this objective?

I actually agree with you that the Chiefs need an identity and I would like to believe that that identity could be our OL and Priest coming with an unstoppable run game each and every week.

This is, nonetheless, the NFL and strategy has always been a part of the game. Mr. Gaz posed the question, "Got a plan?". I "got" one.

And, to your point, allow me to respectfully submit that I am no one's "monkey". My words are thoughtfully chosen and carefully considered. Perhaps you should display similar restraint when proffering cross-species insults.

Best,

FAX

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Mr. Nightfyre, you raise an interesting point.

To wit: I also noticed that, in the Atlanta game, Priest was not "breaking" many tackles. Often he didn't have to. In fact (although I have no proof), it appeared that when Priest realized he had maximized the line of gain, he chose to go down, protect the ball, and live to run another down/day.

In my humble opinion, there are really two issues here; 1) Should we assume that the OL, TEs, and FB have the ability to continue to open seams for Priest when the DL is stacked or 2) Should we anticipate the Indy scheme and attack the weakness exposed by both their strategy and their inherent defensive weakness.

Best,

FAX
First 15 plays as scripted by me:
1) The bomb to Kennison/Hall
2) Dive (2 Hole) (sets up sweep)
3) Sweep (left side) (Indy loads box)
4) Dive (left side)
5) PA Screen to Holmes in middle (we could run this play over and over and nobody could stop it last year)
6) Sweep (Right Side, keep em honest)
7) PA Outside Post to Gonzo
8) Flea flicker deep...
9) Sideline route to Morton
10) Dive (4 Hole)
11) Dive (4 Hole)
12) Sweep (Right Side)
13) Sweep (Left Side)
14) PA pass to Richardson
15) Dive (3 Hole)

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Perhaps you should display similar restraint when proffering cross-species insults.

ROFL rep...

MOhillbilly
10-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Pound it out.

ROFL

Coogs
10-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Best,

FAX

If TR catches 15 balls in Sundays game, this place would probably melt down. Considering we should only throw it about 25-28 times, most of those throws should be aimed at Gonzo, Priest, and Morton.

Coogs
10-28-2004, 12:24 PM

I am suggesting, however, that it is an open question as to whether or not the impressive dominance of the Chiefs run blocking last Sunday will be attributed (by Dungy and staff) at least in part to the defensive scheme run by Atlanta.

Comming into the game last Sunday, Atlanta was the #1 RUN DEFENSE in the entire NFL. I doubt they abandoned their scheme for the Chiefs and our less than pro bowl quality WR corp. I don't watch Falcon games, so I don't know what they usually do.

What I do know is that the Chiefs O-line dominated the Ravens and the Falcons. And since they are supposed to be two of the top defenses in the league, I would suggest we use the same approach until someone (team) proves they have the formula to stop it.

So far the only one I have seen capiable of stopping our offense has been AS.

FAX
10-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Mr Coogs. No doubt you are correct. 15 catches for TR is a great number.

However, perhaps you will be kind enough to consider that, 1) If the offensive scheme I am proposing comes to fruition, TR can get open early and often by brushing linebackers and finding open space, 2) Who would have thought we would score 8 rushing touchdowns on Atlanta's vaunted rushing D?, 3) Are we convinced in Morton and Kennison's ability to make a difference in a win?, and 4) My expectation is that it is likely that TG will see quite a bit of double coverage.

Yet, your point is well taken. Perhaps I am a lowly "homer"?

Best,

FH

Gaz
10-28-2004, 12:32 PM
A vote for the Defense!

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy for the boys.

Mark M
10-28-2004, 12:33 PM
A vote for the Defense!

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy for the boys.

Looks like someone got their crack pipe fixed ... ;)

Seriously, though, I think losing Beisel will be hurt more than we think. The guy isn't the next Butkus, but losing him will make a difference.

Hopefully Bartee's performance last week wasn't a fluke.

MM
~~:grovel:

el borracho
10-28-2004, 12:34 PM

Ah, winning the battle of field position. Pretty sneaky.

Coogs
10-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Mr Coogs. No doubt you are correct. 15 catches for TR is a great number.

However, perhaps you will be kind enough to consider that, 1) If the offensive scheme I am proposing comes to fruition, TR can get open early and often by brushing linebackers and finding open space, 2) Who would have thought we would score 8 rushing touchdowns on Atlanta's vaunted rushing D?, 3) Are we convinced in Morton and Kennison's ability to make a difference in a win?, and 4) My expectation is that it is likely that TG will see quite a bit of double coverage.

Yet, your point is well taken. Perhaps I am a lowly "homer"?

Best,

FH

On #1. If we pass, I would think TR would be better served to help protect Green. Even in the play action. When we passed against the Jags, Roaf was having a bit of a hard time against a lesser opponent than Freeney.

On #2. Since it was an NFL record, I would say nobody.

On #3. Morton is proving himself as a possession WR this year. Could be a huge factor Sunday.

On #4. Yep. Priest, Morton, Dunn, and maybe even Horn might be better alternatives than TR though.

Straight, No Chaser
10-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Mr. Straight, No Chaser. Any offense you have taken from my analysis was unintentional, I assure you.

My comments were directed at your thoughtfully chosen and carefully considered plan. Of course, I did not take offense... Indeed Sir, I must humbly apologize for the monkey comment. How careless of me. I did not intend it to be misconstrued. I did not mean to suggest you were anything but Homo Sapiens. I wanted to call in question your ability to "get inside Tony's head", to engage in understanding and hypothesizing about his strategy to contain the Chiefs running game. Maybe referring to a "fly on the wall" would have been a better analogy. To this point he has offered few details about returning to Arrowhead. Indeed, Mister JAX before I proffer, offer, hint, propose, suggest, tender or volunteer my opinions, I should STFU and :hmmm: eh?

As noted here in another thread, it's better to first exhaust the strength of your side before countering the strategy of the opposing team. That must start by riding the wave of last weeks OL domination. Consider that LJ will likely be suited up this week. I don't think it will matter who gets the carries. The way the O grinded out those 12, 13, and 14 play drives against a tough Raven's defense could add up to a lot of sideline time for Pay-Me-A-Ton. The less we see of him, the less we see of him.

---->

FAX
10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Mr Coogs. Allow me to compliment you. Your comments are astute and knowledgeable. May your children graduate with honors and may the muse of excellent sex visit you often.

Although it is, of course, unknowable how many balls TR will catch in Sunday's game, I believe that the "opportunity" exists to get him the ball with consistency due to Indy's anticipated attention to the run and the effect of play action on same. Ergo, my statement was, "I would not be surprised if ...".

Certainly, your point regarding pass protection is both excellent and well stated.

For my part, I remain unconvinced that Morton is a "difference-maker". Although your comment regarding his improvement as a possession receiver is well taken.

I will defer to your judgement on the issue of Dunn and Horn. Two additional threats in the short to intermediate passing game which may well be used to our advantage.

Indy 17
Chiefs 28

By the way, as a "newbie" (sp?) ... I lack the knowledge and understanding of how one includes portions of the previous post (to which one is responding) in their own as you have done. Would you be inclined to share this technique?

Best,

FAX

Coogs
10-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Mr Coogs. Allow me to compliment you. Your comments are astute and knowledgeable. May your children graduate with honors and may the muse of excellent sex visit you often.

By the way, as a "newbie" (sp?) ... I lack the knowledge and understanding of how one includes portions of the previous post (to which one is responding) in their own as you have done. Would you be inclined to share this technique?

Best,

FAX

I usually am known as the Chiefs Planet "genious", so astute and knowledgeable would be a new one for me! I'll take it! The 2nd part....

:thumb:

As far as your last question, click on the "quote" button at the bottom right of the post you want to use.

28-17 would be fantastic.

SPchief
10-28-2004, 02:05 PM
I say on our first play why not run a flea flicker :shrug:

Coogs
10-28-2004, 02:10 PM
I say on our first play why not run a flea flicker :shrug:

:shake: Think time of possession. Keep the defense fresh and Manning with nothing to do besides argue with Wayne.

mcan
10-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Offense:

The line is going to have to have another great day. I have no doubt that they will. Freeney is the man... But we should run the ball right at him. Roaf will eat him up, and that should keep us working to our strength and them working to their weaknesses. Stay to the left... Stay to the left... Stay to left... Get those safeties up, and hit them with crossing patterns and deep outs... Tony Gonzalez should have close to 10 catches if they keep with that game plan. Expect a lot of 2 TE sets and unbalanced lines... HEAVY left. Johnnie Morton is coming off his best two week stretch since he was a Chief. He ran two GREAT routes last week. Expect him to keep that up and get a couple a big plays. One thing to be VERY aware of is pass blocking our play action. There will be a lot of stunting and linebackers filling gaps to limit Priest. If we rely too much on play action Trent will be running for his life early, and that could put our defense on the field more than we would like....

Defense:

Edge is running 4 1/2 yards per carry. Harrison leads the team in receptions and has five TDs. Worst yet, Peyton has a 112+ quarterback rating and reads defenses extremely well... So, don't get cute. Don't try to disquise your blitzes or trick Peyton... He won't be fooled. All you can hope to do is execute better and beat people off the line of scrimmage. Vonnie Holliday will have to step up. The Colts have a read on this guy from last year. They know when he's going inside the tackle and they will audible to pitch to the left whenever he goes inside. That spells disaster for the Chiefs. It is crucial that our RE (even if it's Jarod Allen) stays outside. Trust Barber and Beisel to fill their proper gaps and don't let them sucker you in... One thing I would throw out right now is the corner blitz. The first time William Bartee crowds the line, Payton will start pumping his fist and we'll be screwed... They have a plan for that, rest assured. I WOULD however, blitz the occasional linebacker. Peyton can be pressured into making a bad throw to a route that he thinks "should" be open because that's where the blitz is coming from. Jerome Woods could come away with a pick or two if our linebackers can get pressure. Again, this means that our defensive tackles are going to have to get upfield... That's HARD to do against these guys, and Peyton gets his throws off quick. Eric Warfield needs to play aggressive. Yeah, you're going to get beat a couple times, no big whoop. But if you play too far off Marvin Harrison, they will slant you to death. Finally... And I say this to everybody who plays the Colts... Take advantage of Jeff Saturday's nasty little habit.

Jeff Saturday will stare at the football in his hand until just before he snaps the ball, at which point he quickly looks up at the man that he intends to block. He does this about 75% of the time. The Chiefs' defensive line should be coming out of their stances right when Jeff makes his move. If they can get the timing right, they should be moving forward BEFORE the ball is snapped, and beat their blocks regularly...

Special Teams:

Dante got a TD against these guys last time, so I would try that reverse on the opening kick. Get somebody like Kennison or Morton to run it, and we could start out with great field position, or a quick 6 points. I would also make a point to go ahead and punt in those fourth and short opportunities. We've been going for it a bit more often, but right now our punter is having a great last couple of weeks, and we need to make sure that the Colts have to drive the length of the field every time they have the ball. If it's too long for an easy 3 points, then put them inside the 5 and trust this improving defense. Putting the defense on the field when they have the best of it can only help to swing the momentum in their favor.

Tuckdaddy
10-28-2004, 02:42 PM
If one particular play kept working I'd run it over and over until they stopped it.

Straight, No Chaser
10-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Defense:

Edge is running 4 1/2 yards per carry. Harrison leads the team in receptions and has five TDs. Worst yet, Peyton has a 112+ quarterback rating and reads defenses extremely well... So, don't get cute. Don't try to disquise your blitzes or trick Peyton... He won't be fooled. All you can hope to do is execute better and beat people off the line of scrimmage. Vonnie Holliday will have to step up. The Colts have a read on this guy from last year. They know when he's going inside the tackle and they will audible to pitch to the left whenever he goes inside. That spells disaster for the Chiefs. It is crucial that our RE (even if it's Jarod Allen) stays outside. Trust Barber and Beisel to fill their proper gaps and don't let them sucker you in... One thing I would throw out right now is the corner blitz. The first time William Bartee crowds the line, Payton will start pumping his fist and we'll be screwed... They have a plan for that, rest assured. I WOULD however, blitz the occasional linebacker. Peyton can be pressured into making a bad throw to a route that he thinks "should" be open because that's where the blitz is coming from. Jerome Woods could come away with a pick or two if our linebackers can get pressure. Again, this means that our defensive tackles are going to have to get upfield... That's HARD to do against these guys, and Peyton gets his throws off quick. Eric Warfield needs to play aggressive. Yeah, you're going to get beat a couple times, no big whoop. But if you play too far off Marvin Harrison, they will slant you to death. Finally... And I say this to everybody who plays the Colts... Take advantage of Jeff Saturday's nasty little habit...

Check this from today's Chiefs Injury Notes (KC Star):

Priest Holmes, Monty Beisel, Dexter McCleon, Junior Siavii, Omar Easy and Kris Wilson did not practice Wednesday. Vermeil thought that only Holmes would be available to play against the Colts.

Beisel will be replaced at starting middle linebacker by Kawika Mitchell. The injury to McCleon might hurt the most. If he doesn't play, it would force the Chiefs to use rookie Benny Sapp or Julian Battle as the nickel back against one of the league's most potent passing attacks

===============

Kawika in the middle? Missing McCleon a bad?
Mo' better to grip the ToP and hold on. Would like nothing more than the Chiefs churning out a long touchdown drive that ends with :00 left.

--->

mcan
10-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Nobody wants to dip into my analysis? Or is it just too damned long? Oh well, I guess I need to quit putting effort into things like this...

Do me a favor though, you members of the Planet...

When Sunday rolls around. Go back and read this. Notice what I said about Vonnie Holliday and about Jeff Saturday. These two things could make or break the game... Yet, they go unnoticed by most.

Count Zarth
10-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Nobody wants to dip into my analysis? Or is it just too damned long? Oh well, I guess I need to quit putting effort into things like this...

Do me a favor though, you members of the Planet...

When Sunday rolls around. Go back and read this. Notice what I said about Vonnie Holliday and about Jeff Saturday. These two things could make or break the game... Yet, they go unnoticed by most.

I read it all. Interesting points. We might run that reverse on our first kick return.

The Saturday thing is interesting. I hope Goonther is taking notes.

Nightfyre
10-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Check this from today's Chiefs Injury Notes (KC Star):

Priest Holmes, Monty Beisel, Dexter McCleon, Junior Siavii, Omar Easy and Kris Wilson did not practice Wednesday. Vermeil thought that only Holmes would be available to play against the Colts.

Beisel will be replaced at starting middle linebacker by Kawika Mitchell. The injury to McCleon might hurt the most. If he doesn't play, it would force the Chiefs to use rookie Benny Sapp or Julian Battle as the nickel back against one of the league's most potent passing attacks

===============

Kawika in the middle? Missing McCleon a bad?
Mo' better to grip the ToP and hold on. Would like nothing more than the Chiefs churning out a long touchdown drive that ends with :00 left.

--->
I think it will be good to give these rookies a shot. They may just toast McCleon and that would make me happy. I can see it now... Sapp with 3 INTs on the game as a nickelback...

Coogs
11-01-2004, 12:24 PM
42 rushing plays and 34 passing plays.... mostly screens and play action! TOP advantage to the Chiefs to the tune of 37:33 to 22:27.

AS and Gun did a terrific job of game planning yesterday. Game wasn't as close as score indicated IMO. Fumbles by Holmes and Cheeks cost us at least 6 points. Gift PI on Warfield on 3rd down resulted in a gift TD on next play when Warfield fell down. Should have been at least 34-7 at the half.

Do it again next Sunday vs the Buc's!!! :toast:

FAX
11-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Mr. Coogs, I completely agree with your assessment. Although I haven't seen the game tape as yet, it appears that AS & Co. handled Indy's effort to stop the run very effectively. The screens and PA must have been executed very well indeed.

Morton greatly exceeded my expectations. I'm becomming more confident in both his ability and his commitment to the team.

You are quite correct that the final score could have easily been 55 to 35 or less.

Best,

FAX