PDA

View Full Version : Road geeks

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
I had no idea such a thing existed until yesterday.

See, I was reading an article about Prop 400 (http://www.maricopa2020.com), and there was not only a reference to the Superstition Freeway, but also the Piestewa Freeway. I'm not sure how widespread this practice is throughout the country, but for some reason all the freeways in Phoenix have a name. Now, that in and of itself isn't that big a deal... but, every once in awhile f*ckers will refer to them by the name. This irritates the shit out of me. There's a perfectly good number on every f*cking one of those things. I know what the 202 is... I know where 60 is. I don't have a f*cking clue where the Maricopa Freeway is. Quit saying it!

Anyway.... I was pretty sure the Superstition Freeway was 60... but, I had no clue what the Piestewa Freeway was. A couple of google searches later, I found myself at this site (http://www.arizonaroads.com). I was amazed at the amount of time this dude had put into such tasks as mapping out every exit on every Arizona freeway. Then, I started clicking his links. And found out there were more out there like him. Amazing.

Who knew there were people out there who have trouble sleeping at night due to the existence of I-238 (http://www.ihoz.com/I238.html)?

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Who knew there were people out there that lose sleep because other people use a name instead of a number when refering to a road?

AZORChiefFan
10-28-2004, 12:12 PM
I know what you mean. Hell some of the highways are named diffrently depending on the area of the valley they are in. The 101 is called Pima on the east side and Agua Fria North and West and in the southeast it's called Price Freeway.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Who knew there were people out there that lose sleep because other people use a name instead of a number when refering to a road?
I could go off on a tangential rant about Phoenix residents' tendency to place 'the' in front of number.

It's I-10... not The 10.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:14 PM
I know what you mean. Hell some of the highways are named diffrently depending on the area of the valley they are in. The 101 is called Pima on the east side and Agua Fria North and West and in the southeast it's called Price Freeway.
Oh yeah... I forgot to include the changing name thing.

The point was to make people waste their day looking at road geek sites like I did yesterday.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:16 PM
http://www.arizonaroads.com/wrong/crash.jpg

Plane crash scene, to your right.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:22 PM
http://www.arizonaroads.com/pics/az789.jpg

Can't imagine why AZ quit using these signs.

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 12:29 PM
The Hassayampa River is "the river that runs upside-down". Except for rare floods, the water never breaks the surface of the sand, making fishing from the bridge a real waste of time. I don't think the fishing would be great during a flood anyway. Since we're banning impossible activities, some wiseacre added a sign to also ban ice fishing. Maybe they should ban walrus hunting as well. (US 60, Wickenburg)

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 12:30 PM
thats a good sign for 7 ate nine

Phobia
10-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Why do Missouri people say 40 Highway instead of Highway 40? It just doesn't make sense.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:36 PM
The Hassayampa River is "the river that runs upside-down". Except for rare floods, the water never breaks the surface of the sand, making fishing from the bridge a real waste of time. I don't think the fishing would be great during a flood anyway. Since we're banning impossible activities, some wiseacre added a sign to also ban ice fishing. Maybe they should ban walrus hunting as well. (US 60, Wickenburg)
The bridge is on the way to/from Vegas.

Boozer and I always toyed with the idea of picking up a couple fishing poles and sitting on the bridge until the sheriff showed up.

I don't know when the ice fishing sign got added. I never noticed it.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Why do Missouri people say 40 Highway instead of Highway 40? It just doesn't make sense.
Sure it does.

My way is always right, damnit.

nmt1
10-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Here in the Capital of the South we refer to our interstate highways only by their number 95, 64, 295, 85. We do have several roads that have propper names though. Several examples: The Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highway = Interstate 295, Pocohontas Parkway = Interstate 895 and Jefferson Davis Highway = State Route One. I suspect there aren't many other Jeff Davis Highways in the US.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Here in the Capital of the South we refer to our interstate highways only by their number 95, 64, 295, 85. We do have several roads that have propper names though. Several examples: The Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highway = Interstate 295, Pocohontas Parkway = Interstate 895 and Jefferson Davis Highway = State Route One. I suspect there aren't many other Jeff Davis Highways in the US.
When you're giving directions somewhere, do you say, "And then you get on the Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highwayl..." Do radio commercials announce, "We're located just off the Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highway."?

On a side not, I've noticed on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix a sign proclaiming that I'm on the Pearl Harbor Memorial Highway. I wonder how it is that particular stretch of road won that title.

http://www.arizonaroads.com/pics/i10pearlharbor.jpg

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 12:45 PM
http://www.arizonaroads.com/pics/az789.jpg

Can't imagine why AZ quit using these signs.

Still in use at the KiMo Theater.

http://www.cabq.gov/kimo/images/pix/skullcloseup.jpg

nmt1
10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
When you're giving directions somewhere, do you say, "And then you get on the Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highwayl..." Do radio commercials announce, "We're located just off the Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highway."?

On a side not, I've noticed on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix a sign proclaiming that I'm on the Pearl Harbor Memorial Highway. I wonder how it is that particular stretch of road won that title.

http://www.arizonaroads.com/pics/i10pearlharbor.jpg

Nah, we say take 295 north and get on 95 north, something like that. The propper names are basically ceremonial with the exception of Jefferson Davis Highway. That road actually has several different names and they all mean the same road but in a different part of the city. Example, it's referred to as Jeff Davis Highway on the south side of the city, oddly enough, and it's referred to as Brook Road or Route One on the North side. People do give directions using the propper names in the case of that road.

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
When you're giving directions somewhere, do you say, "And then you get on the Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highwayl..."

Nope.

But Bob Dole has heard there was stuff "right next to the Platte City water tower."

el borracho
10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
33? I don't think it works as well as the original.

[33] in the sunshine
Where the days are longer
The nights are stronger than moonshine
You're gonna go I know

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Nah, we say take 295 north and get on 95 north, something like that. The propper names are basically ceremonial

As it should be.

You wanna hang a little sign under the US 60 shield that says Superstition Freeway? Be my guest. But, if you want me to know where your business is... say the number.

Iowanian
10-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Nope.

But Bob Dole has heard there was stuff "right next to the Platte City water tower."

Platte City women have been historically proven to be untrustworthy ruts. Never trust anything within view of that water tower.....there's some kind of witchy woman voodoo in that water.

nmt1
10-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Another not terribly interesting tidbit is we have a bridge over one point of the Korean War Veteran's Memorial Freeway call The Kenneth Eugene Cloddfelter Memorial Bridge. Not sure why I remember that other than the name Cloddfelter.

[:Elvis:]Heh heh heh Clod...felt...her...heh heh heh [/:Elvis:]

Dartgod
10-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Careful ENDelt, you're starting to sound like a road geek yourself. Before long you'll start your own highway discussion forum, www.the202planet.com, or something like that.

Earthling
10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Damn...I had something witty to add but as I got ready to post it I realized it was pretty lame so I won't...Hope thats not a 'sign' of dementia or something...

StcChief
10-28-2004, 01:20 PM
That's a KC thing. On the east side of the state. It's Highway 40 (I-64 thru STL)

CosmicPal
10-28-2004, 01:25 PM
We actually have a highway in SW Colorado called The Million Dollar Highway.

It was named the Million Dollar Highway years ago when some rich gal said she "...wouldn't pay a million dollars to go over that...."

I don't blame her- it's considered one of the most dangerous highways in North America- it's an awesome ride. I can assure you if you try to drive it drunk- you'll be as good as dead.

It's also called Red Mountain Pass.

But, it's really Hwy 550, but nobody ever calls it that.

Bob Dole
10-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Oh yeah. Bob Dole had forgotten all about Highway 550.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Careful ENDelt, you're starting to sound like a road geek yourself. Before long you'll start your own highway discussion forum, www.the202planet.com, or something like that.
I did find those websites rather fascinating.

Who here besides Skip knew stop signs used to be yellow?

Calcountry
10-28-2004, 02:26 PM
I could go off on a tangential rant about Phoenix residents' tendency to place 'the' in front of number.

It's I-10... not The 10.
In LA, they say, "The San Bernadino", or "The Golden State Highway", or "The Santa Monica".

They leave that number chit up to the tourists.

Calcountry
10-28-2004, 02:27 PM
It was simpler when it was just Route 66.

Swanman
10-28-2004, 02:35 PM
In Chicago, every single highway is named - Eisenhower, Dan Ryan, Kennedy, Lake Shore Drive, Stevenson, Elgin O'Hare (although it goes nowhere near either Elgin or O'Hare). Our tollways are also named with genious names like the Tri-State tollway, East-West Tollway and the Northwest Tollway.

Even worse, up in Wisconsin, the state routes are named with both letters and numbers, so directions are always like "you take 94 to highway C, then get off on state highway CR and catch 50". With the amount of beer consumed in that state, folks tend to get lost.

ENDelt260
10-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Even worse, up in Wisconsin, the state routes are named with both letters and numbers, so directions are always like "you take 94 to highway C, then get off on state highway CR and catch 50". With the amount of beer consumed in that state, folks tend to get lost.

There's some lettered routes in Missouri. I can remember driving around on C, Z and ZZ.

yunghungwell
10-29-2004, 12:54 PM
There's some lettered routes in Missouri. I can remember driving around on C, Z and ZZ.

My absolute favorites are "Jct Y" and "Jct YY" (Double your pleasure!)

I laugh when I see them, and my wife thinks that I am sooo childish.

Ghostof
10-29-2004, 01:00 PM

Take the backroads around Butler, Passaic, Rich Hill, and Foster....and you'll see damn near the whole alphabet.

STAY AWAY FROM SCHELL CITY, that town is bad news. A friend of mine from Foster drove over to pick up some hay and feed. He was stopped by some of the yokels on the outskirts of their town. They wanted to know who he was and what he was doing in town.

Rain Man
10-29-2004, 01:00 PM
I bet every region of every state has a Deadman's Curve and some takeoff on "Bloody Highway."

Back when I lived in St. Louis, I had to chuckle when a coworker said that St. Louis was in "Tornado Alley." St. Louis is in Kansas? I've heard a couple of people say the same thing about Denver, and I just want to rap my knuckles on their little pea brains.