PDA

View Full Version : North and South

Frazod
10-28-2004, 06:22 PM
For those who are too young or don't remember, North and South was a three part miniseries that aired on network TV back in the 80s. The first part was about the years leading up to the Civil War, the second part was the Civil War, and the third part (which I never saw) covers the Reconstruction Era. The most notable main stars are Patrick Swayze and Kirstie Alley, although there were lots of other big names in supporting roles, like Robert Mitchum and Elizabeth Taylor. David Carradine also has a supporting role as a evile plantation owner.

Anyway, the complete set came out on DVD a couple of weeks ago, and I picked it up a few days ago. As DVDs go, this is pretty much no frills at all - there aren't any "making-of" featurettes or any other bonus features, and no surround sound. Still, I'm enjoying watching it again. It intermixes fictional characters with real historical people and settings. A bit cheesy and overly melodramatic at times, but it was well done.

If you go for this sort of thing or have an interest in U.S. history, you might want to give it a look. The DVD set goes for around $50, but the viewing time is the equivalent of several movies.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 06:30 PM
They dont make miniseries like they used to! I remember that when i was a kid. MY mom would sit down and watch all seven nights of that melodramatic crap. It was 'Must see TV" back in the day. I guess people dont have the patience to watch that stuff anymore..I also remember Shogun, Winds of War and War and Remeberance from the same era...

Count Zarth
10-28-2004, 06:42 PM
In before the Skip Towne joke.

alanm
10-28-2004, 06:52 PM
They dont make miniseries like they used to! I remember that when i was a kid. MY mom would sit down and watch all seven nights of that melodramatic crap. It was 'Must see TV" back in the day. I guess people dont have the patience to watch that stuff anymore..I also remember Shogun, Winds of War and War and Remeberance from the same era...I've got Shogun on DVD. That was a great miniseries. They show it every once in awhile on the History channel.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I've got Shogun on DVD. That was a great miniseries. They show it every once in awhile on the History channel.

Yea....id like to watch it again..i remember really liking it when i was a kid.

AZORChiefFan
10-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Roots. Was the first miniseries shown on consecutive nights. All before then were shown on say sunday then the following sunday and so on so a 4 part miniseries took a month to watch. I was rather young when rootsfirst aired. Some cable channel aired it a couple years ago and I'd have to say it is another great miniseries.

Amnorix
10-28-2004, 07:51 PM
They dont make miniseries like they used to! I remember that when i was a kid. MY mom would sit down and watch all seven nights of that melodramatic crap. It was 'Must see TV" back in the day. I guess people dont have the patience to watch that stuff anymore..I also remember Shogun, Winds of War and War and Remeberance from the same era...

Shogun was both a very good miniseries and a terrific book (although long).

Fugging Richard Chamberlain though. My mother was in love with that dude. She must have seen Thorn Birds like a million times. :rolleyes: Broke her heart when she found out he was gay. ROFL

Amnorix
10-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Yea....id like to watch it again..i remember really liking it when i was a kid.

The book is as good or better, but it's also like 1,000 pages, so...

Amnorix
10-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Anyone remember a terrific miniseries (also with the King of Miniseries -- Richard Chamberlain) called "Masada"? I think it was about Jews resisting being conquered by the Romans. They hid on a mountaintop in the desert (the mountaintop's name was Masada). Richard O'Toole played the leader of the Romans, and Chamberlain was the leader of the Jews.

I remember it being very good, but I was prolly about 12 years old then, and I haven't seen it since. :shrug:

Demonpenz
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
my grandpa loved north and south!

Priest_Tony
10-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I loved North and South. I didn't get to watch it every night so my aunt taped 1 & 2 for me, but I read Love and War, which is part 3. I didn't like the fact that Madeline and George got married after Constance and Orry died. :cuss: Just didn't like that at all.

I didn't know the DVD set came out. I will definitely get it as my old VHS tapes are worn and I haven't watched the movie in years. It even included the commercials where she forgot to hit 'pause.' ROFL

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Anyone remember a terrific miniseries (also with the King of Miniseries -- Richard Chamberlain) called "Masada"? I think it was about Jews resisting being conquered by the Romans. They hid on a mountaintop in the desert (the mountaintop's name was Masada). Richard O'Toole played the leader of the Romans, and Chamberlain was the leader of the Jews.

I remember it being very good, but I was prolly about 12 years old then, and I haven't seen it since. :shrug:

I remember that one when i was a kid. Id like to see it again as the Masada is a really great story. It wasnt Chamberlain though, it was Peter Strauss in that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081900/

Ultra Peanut
10-28-2004, 10:12 PM
David Carradine also has a supporting role as a evile plantation owner.An "evile plantation owner" who knows kung fu, right?

Frazod
10-28-2004, 10:14 PM
An "evile plantation owner" who knows kung fu, right?

He doesn't appear to. He's good at slapping the womenfolk, though. :D

Deberg_1990
10-28-2004, 10:17 PM
He doesn't appear to. He's good at slapping the womenfolk, though. :D

Did he learn that technique from Pai Mei? LOL

Frazod
10-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Did he learn that technique from Pai Mei? LOL

Naw, they still had both eyes intact post-slappage. :)

Rausch
10-28-2004, 10:21 PM
An "evile plantation owner" who knows kung fu, right?

He also plays an arrogant b@st@rd who refuses to pay his $200 bar tab in an Atlanta sports bar...

Frazod
10-28-2004, 10:27 PM
He also plays an arrogant b@st@rd who refuses to pay his $200 bar tab in an Atlanta sports bar...

What?

Rausch
10-28-2004, 10:35 PM
What?

The weekend me and MisplacedChiefsfan were in Atlanta he got $#itty drunk in a sportsbar and refused to pay his tab. He threw the "Do you know who I am?" line around.

They knew who he was, and soon security did. He was "escourted" back upstairs to pay his tab. The next night (the night I was in that bar) he had the sack to show back up and ask to run a tab. The waitress said no, and I asked her "Is that who I think it is?"

He looked rough, I wasn't sure. She then explained the above story...

Cochise
10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
I am in the younger set but I have seen this too, actually, we watched it in my junior high social studies class.

Frazod
10-28-2004, 10:40 PM
The weekend me and MisplacedChiefsfan were in Atlanta he got $#itty drunk in a sportsbar and refused to pay his tab. He threw the "Do you know who I am?" line around.

They knew who he was, and soon security did. He was "escourted" back upstairs to pay his tab. The next night (the night I was in that bar) he had the sack to show back up and ask to run a tab. The waitress said no, and I asked her "Is that who I think it is?"

He looked rough, I wasn't sure. She then explained the above story...

That's sad.

I guess my answer would be "I know who you are, and I know you can afford to pay your tab, douche."

F#cking divas. :shake:

Count Zarth
10-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Damn, no Skip jokes?

I mean he was part of the inspiration for the documentary, right? :D

Rausch
10-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Damn, no Skip jokes?

I mean he was part of the inspiration for the documentary, right? :D

No, but it was based on his diary...

KCWolfman
10-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Damn, Tim. This is the first entertainment we agree upon. The original mini-series of the 70s and 80s ruled. This is the best of the best.

ChiefJustice
10-29-2004, 02:09 AM
Where is the love for "The Blue and the Gray"?

Stacey Keach,sans arm,Gregory Peck as Lincoln.

A true classic....for television.