Pants
10-28-2004, 10:50 PM
How do you think I'm doin...open bar aint it...give me 6 Schlitz'zz. - Farva

Hehe, don't remeber that part...

"I gotcha good, ****ER!"

Cochise
10-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Because it only cost $0.25 a six pack?

That wouldn't even pay for the case of Tums and Immodium AD I'm going to need to finish it.

Frazod
10-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Ahh, the good ole days - getting drunk on the cheapest and shittiest beer we could find.

Shaefers, Red White & Blue, Schiltz, Busch.... ahh, the memories.

:Lin:

We drew the line at Buckhorn, though. :ee:

Pants
10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Pabst Blue Ribbon anyone? ROFL

el borracho
10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I find that if you beer bong really crappy beer it doesn't taste as bad. If you don't have a beer bong, you can shotgun 'em.

:toast:

beavis
10-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Schmidt's?

Cochise
10-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Ahh, the good ole days - getting drunk on the cheapest and shittiest beer we could find.

Shaefers, Red White & Blue, Schiltz, Busch.... ahh, the memories.

:Lin:

I had some Shaefer's the other night.

Hamm's or Olympia is where the line needs to be drawn.

There is another really bad one that I have only had once, called Pearl. I guess it's the normal cheap beer in Texas. A guy I used to work with said that they made Pearl by filtering the urinals at Longhorn games.

beavis
10-28-2004, 11:12 PM
A guy I used to work with said that they made Pearl by filtering the urinals at Longhorn games.
...and here I thought that was your job in Lawrence. Interesting.

Frazod
10-28-2004, 11:13 PM

Oddly enough, PBR is going through something of a renaissance. It's apparently the trendy choice in yuppie watering holes.

:spock:

Miles
10-28-2004, 11:13 PM

There is another really bad one that I have only had once, called Pearl. I guess it's the normal cheap beer in Texas. A guy I used to work with said that they made Pearl by filtering the urinals at Longhorn games.

Yeah Pearl is f@cking aweful. Its not very popular unless you are in the country or in some small town. The other one they have is Lone Star which isnt quite as bad. That one shows up a little more at colleges. Mostly the cheap college beer in TX is Keystone lite or Natty.

el borracho
10-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Oddly enough, PBR is going through something of a renaissance. It's apparently the trendy choice in yuppie watering holes.

Here's a factoid you will appreciate: PBR is on tap pretty much everywhere in Denver these days.

Enjoy, Donkey fans!

Cochise
10-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah Pearl is f@cking aweful. Its not very popular unless you are in the country or in some small town. The other one they have is Lone Star which isnt quite as bad. That one shows up a little more at colleges. Mostly the cheap college beer in TX is Keystone lite or Natty.

I have seen Lone Star before.

Natty was the swill of choice where I went. I actually don't mind it, as cheap goes it's really not too bad. Not bad enough to pay twice as much for something else anyway.

Miles
10-28-2004, 11:16 PM

Yeah that makes no sense at all. I cant imagine people paying few buck for a pint of that shit.

Frazod
10-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Here's a factoid you will appreciate: PBR is on tap pretty much everywhere in Denver these days.

Enjoy, Donkey fans!

One more reason to hate Denver.

stumppy
10-28-2004, 11:40 PM
By the way, that swill you're drinking wasn't names after the brewer. It was named for what it gives you the next day.:D

ChiefFripp
10-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Natural Lite is the only choice if you're broke and need beer. Only two things will survive a nuclear holocaust, cockroaches and the men who drank enough Natty.

J Diddy
10-29-2004, 12:17 AM

I once had a beer called "Redneck", my buddy and I were broke had like $5 to our name so the choice was 6 pack of cans or a 6 pack of this bottled beer.

We chose the bottles thinking it can't be all that bad. Little did we know, this was a mixture of hamms, olympia, high life and cat urine dropped and a bottle. Not fit for human consumption, we both took one drink of our bottles and that was enough.

In a day where it was hot enough to make a nasty beer taste good, we opted to dispose of it and go for ice water.

Fairplay
10-29-2004, 12:22 AM

I actually bought a 12'er of PBR a couple months ago because i only had 6 bucks in my pocket at the time. I didn't think it was actually to bad, for cheap beer. Though i have no intentions of buying it again.

Rausch
10-29-2004, 12:28 AM

****ing communist! :cuss:

Miles
10-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Anyone ever have meister brau? I had a friend in college that drank it every now and then when he was broke and actually liked it. Definitly among the worst i have ever had.

go bowe
10-29-2004, 12:39 AM
By the way, that swill you're drinking wasn't names after the brewer. It was named for what it gives you the next day.:Dthat's right, we called it shits in the early 60's!

truly nasty stuff... [yuck smilie]

Fairplay
10-29-2004, 12:43 AM
Anyone ever tasted Aspen Edge? Ive heard from several people it was bad.
Ive never tried it.

stumppy
10-29-2004, 01:35 AM
By far, the worst tasting beer I have ever tried in all my 42 yrs of life is "Blackened VooDoo". Tasted like it was siphoned off the top of a septic tank. The only good thing about it was I used it to pay off a bet I lost to a Bronco loving coworker.

Miles
10-29-2004, 01:40 AM
By far, the worst tasting beer I have ever tried in all my 42 yrs of life is "Blackened VooDoo". Tasted like it was siphoned off the top of a septic tank. The only good thing about it was I used it to pay off a bet I lost to a Bronco loving coworker.

Hey easy on the New Orleans brew. ;) I actually think its a pretty solid dark beer but i havent had it in a while. Might have been skunky if you got it outside Louisiana.

The one thats really shitty is plain Dixie in a can. I think its made by the same brewery but its nasty.

Demonpenz
10-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Papst.com home of stroah and oldstyle

stumppy
10-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Hey easy on the New Orleans brew. ;) I actually think its a pretty solid dark beer but i havent had it in a while. The one thats really shitty is plain Dixie in a can. I think its made by the same brewery but its nasty.

I don't know what it's like now. Like you said it could be pretty good. I bought it about 10 years ago and I still remember it , if that tells you how bad it was.

NewChief
10-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Believe it or not, but Old Style is my everyday beer. I buy better shit on occasion, but 90% of the time, I've got Old Style in my fridge.

I, personally, think it tastes more like...beer...than Bud, Busch, and the other major breweries. I drink PBR on occasion as well. As for that whole PBR renaissance, it's a fact. It was funny when it happened, because there was a pretty big clique of indy rock/artsy/alternative types around here that had been drinking PBR and Old Style for the last 10 years or so. Every party you went to, that was the most common beer by far.

A year or two ago, we find some article in a magazine talking about the PBR revival.

What can I say, we're trendsetters down here in Arkansas. ROFL

Saulbadguy
10-29-2004, 06:03 AM
Milwaukee's Best was the first beer I ever drank. :Lin:

Bwana
10-29-2004, 06:11 AM
What posessed me to buy this stuff. :shake: :Lin:

Cochise, Cochise, Cochise. :shake: If you drank more than one or two of those things last night, I hope the grim reaper didn't pay you a visit in your sleep. :( That stuff will knock the hair off your ass and decrease your sperm count by 95%.

NewChief
10-29-2004, 06:16 AM
Here's the article about how hip PBR is:
http://sixmile.clemson.edu/pbr.htm

washingtonpost.com

Pabst Blue Ribbon: Another Winner
Retro Chic Suds Hit With Hip Young Adults

By Bret Schulte
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, April 20, 2003; Page F01

America has discovered a new beer, one that seems right for a country facing bad times.

Pabst Blue Ribbon, a forgotten if not forsaken brand, once the solace of the beleaguered working man, and, regrettably, a beer often associated with what people in polite company call "trash," has staged a surprising comeback. The resurgence is mostly among young adults, led by colleagues such as snowboarders and indie filmmakers.

Perhaps it's a sign of the times, or a remembrance of the way it was, or a toast to blue-collar virtue. However you pour it, PBR is America's new beer for a simple reason: It is not new at all.

Melissa Brown, a 28-year-old New York artist, recently served PBR at the opening of her art show at the Bellwether Gallery, located in the fashionable and hip Brooklyn neighborhood of Williamsburg. She explains her choice by saying that "it's time to get back to the basics." Others seem to agree. The owner of the gallery says that requests for PBR have become so common it's now "the official gallery beer."

In Washington, the manager of Chief Ike's Mambo Room in Adams Morgan wasn't finding success with sub-premium beers such as Schlitz and Tecate. "We switched to Pabst a few months ago and it's going like hotcakes," he says. At Whitey's in Arlington, suited-up young Republicans, faux cowboys and dead-serious blue-collar drinkers line up faithfully for a weekly PBR special. On a recent Thursday they exhausted the supply by 10 p.m.

In Park City, Utah, a group of professional and semi-professional snowboarders -- the trendsetting type popular with fans and revered by marketing agents -- have discovered Pabst. For the past few years, they've congregated on Super Bowl Sunday and played their own game of tackle football in PBR hats and jackets. They call it the Pabst Bowl.

Nationwide, grocery store sales of Pabst Blue Ribbon climbed 12 percent in the 52-week period ending in late November. Total sales have increased five percent over the past year. "For us that's a really big deal," says Pabst brand manager Neal Stewart. "That's one of the best increases we've had since 1978."

The increase comes the way a populist trend should: from the ground up. Pabst is Consumer Lite, a refreshing blend of economy and Americana, without all the heavy marketing campaigns, the greasy reinvention, the paid celebrity endorsements. It represents simpler times -- how nice in a world of corporate scandals and missing persons, 24-hour news, terrorism and burst economies.

Pabst sells its image of plainness -- its look of regular-guy health, its artless presence among the racks of imports and million-dollar household names -- in part because Pabst has no other choice.

Its advertising budget is pocket change, its production volume historically low. Stewart says there has not been a PBR television campaign in at least 10 years. Radio spots are limited to local endorsements, and print ads are relegated to the bargain bin of weekly alternative papers.

All this is symptomatic of Pabst's decline since the late 1970s. Industry conglomeration and the introduction of light beers in the 1980s cut deep into Pabst's already deteriorating market share. In 1996, the Pabst Brewing Co. ended 153 years in Milwaukee and relocated to the tequila-loving town of San Antonio, where it occupied the aging Pearl Brewery for a few, final years. Pabst finally closed its remaining plants, pouring its last beer in 2001.

The Pabst product line, which includes almost the entire stable of retiring American front-runners -- Stroh's, Schlitz, Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Schaefer and Blatz -- is now produced under contract by Miller, the last of the big Milwaukee brewers (but owned by South African interests).

Today Pabst Brewing exists in little more than name only. It maintains executive offices in San Antonio but continues to print on its PBR cans and labels a post office box in Milwaukee -- perhaps misleadingly, perhaps nostalgically.

When asked about the surge in PBR sales, Benj Steinman, president of the industry journal Beer Marketer's Insights, immediately uttered the buzzwords popular among pop-culture observers: "retro chic," a phrase hung on a host of young adults who affect the style and attitude of the mythical good ol' days: real or imagined working-class values clothed in polyester button-downs, Chuck Taylor shoes, Levis and old T-shirts. Accordingly, PBR sales have been concentrated in areas popular among the throwback generation: the Pacific Northwest, New York and Midwestern urban centers like St. Louis.

"You can see it moving westward, through the mountain areas," Stewart says. "This is attributed to the fact that a lot of snowboarders have gotten into the brand. It's kind of the drink of choice among that crowd."

Pabst has introduced official stocking caps, jackets that read "PBR Snowboarding Team" and official high-end snowboards. In keeping with its grass-roots philosophy, Pabst has sponsored snowboarding videos and sells its PBR "wearables" at production cost.

While part of Pabst's appeal may be its low price, no more than $2.50 a can (or bottle, where available) in bars, most name-brand domestics are sold for not much more. Other sub-premium beers, such as Busch and Natural Light, are priced comparably. Pabst caught on among some elusive Gen-Xers for other reasons, namely because of what it isn't: mainstream.

The popularity of PBR is a lesson in reverse psychology. Young adults have taken to the beer because it wasn't forced down their throats. Like ugly clothes and extreme sports, Pabst's value lies in its expression of individuality and choice, a rejection of consumer society by those who feel manipulated by it. Pabst's selling point is its distinct unpopularity, its unself-conscious existence among beers that reinvent themselves as regularly as political candidates.

When sales started to increase among this demographic, Pabst marketers did something almost unprecedented. They stayed out of the way.

"We want people to discover it," Stewart says. "We allow them to find that it's on the premises, that it's making a comeback. Our marketing is that we really facilitate what the market wants."

The flow of PBR has begun to spill over to the national scene. Kid Rock, the new embodiment of low-class style (to put it kindly), is a noted PBR man. He identifies with the beer in his self-adulating song "Forever" -- but gets paid to hawk Coors on nationally televised ads. In "The Accountant," the 2002 Academy Award winner for Best Short Film, Pabst Blue Ribbon is the emblem of authenticity for the title character, who's determined to save the Southern way of life. And, long before Gen-Xers were rejecting core bourgeois values, David Lynch in 1986 made PBR the beer of choice for the drug-addled, underworld boss Frank (Dennis Hopper) in "Blue Velvet." Frank's foil in the film, a clean-cut Kyle MacLachlan, drinks Heineken, a yuppie import that is famously disparaged by Frank with a phrase that is unrepeatable here.

Of course, no amount of hipster or counterculture endorsement is going to resurrect Pabst to its former glory, or even bring it to levels competitive with Coors, Miller and Anheuser-Busch.

Steinman classifies PBR as "sub-premium," a real category among beer producers but one that also reflects the attitude of many American beer drinkers, an attitude that is unlikely to change as the beer proliferates among Establishment dropouts. And nothing is so tenuous as a youth fad, particularly one embraced by the ever-vigilant American iconoclast, who is likely to bail once he suspects corporate America has found him out, not to mention the media. If PBR becomes too visible, too much of a commodity, then it will lose its newfound support. (Note the brief and swiftly exploited revival of swing music in the 1990s.)

As Steinman points out, a sprinkle of sales doesn't mean a watershed is soon at hand. "The Pabst Brewing Company as a whole is still declining at a substantial rate," he says. "Pabst Blue Ribbon is a small component at this time. It's not their biggest brand." That distinction belongs to Old Milwaukee, not exactly a contender either. And the ground Pabst has lost since its heyday near the end of the 19th century will never be recovered.

In the 1890s Pabst produced the best-selling and most widely distributed beer in the country. It was the first beer to be accepted by the moneyed elite; sales were so brisk that Pabst purchased its own forest and barrel factories just to meet the demand. Today, Pabst products constitute about 4.2 percent of the domestic beer market, while Anheuser- Busch commands about 48 percent.

For now, low-saturation marketing has paid off. Pabst projects an image of casual earnestness. Buy it or don't buy it. Whatever. It is an image shared with today's indie rock scene, indie film scene, skateboarding scene, art and literary scenes. It is the image that, ironically, sells.

While most young consumers buy clothes and cars to make themselves seem as affluent and desirable as possible, the materialism of many of today's counterculture youth is just the opposite. It is meant to reflect the economics of "reality," of working-class thriftiness, of the notion of America at its best, at its most optimistic, at its blue-collar prime. Of course, this is not America. This is Americana -- and an appetite for what was good when things are going bad.

2003 The Washington Post Company

Bwana
10-29-2004, 06:22 AM

washingtonpost.com

Poor bastards. :shake: One of the Foulest Tasting Liquids Known to Man! The only beer that has a ranker aftertaste than PBR is Mickey's Big Mouth. It's like being at ground zero on the wrong end of a skunk.

CosmicPal
10-29-2004, 06:32 AM

washingtonpost.com

This is a fact....I happen to live a few blocks from a University (lucky me). PBR is indeed the beer everyone is drinking in the bars in this area. I've been to a couple of parties in the neighborhood as well and PBR was the predominate choice of drink for the students.

I've learned to bring my own beer next time I'm invited to a party around here.

ptlyon
10-29-2004, 06:45 AM
HEINEKEN?

Bwana
10-29-2004, 07:26 AM
HEINEKEN?

What is another skunky tasting non-drinkable beverage for $1000 Alex. :)

CosmicPal
10-29-2004, 07:27 AM
HEINEKEN?

My name is Ken, would you like to see my heinie?

Pulled that on a chick one time when I was drinking a Heineken in a bar, she bowled over laughing and the rest was history...:D

MOhillbilly
10-29-2004, 07:30 AM
nothing wrong w/ shlitz,PBR....though im a High Life man.

Dartgod
10-29-2004, 07:41 AM
What the hell is wrong with Buckhorn?

http://www.askuncleralph.com/buckhorn_beer_can.jpg :thumb:

Cochise
10-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Heineken... skunk beer at a premium price :shake:

MichaelH
10-29-2004, 07:47 AM

It must be taking the place of Rolling Rock. Where I grew up Rolling Rock was right down there with PBR. I've seen upscale bars serving it elsewhere for imported prices.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2004, 07:49 AM
GoBob just cyber-dissed you, Cochise.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=19402&highlight=Shlitz

MonicaLewinski
10-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Schlitz? Cheap bastards get what they deserve....when it comes to BEER anyway. :harumph:

Braincase
10-29-2004, 08:12 AM
What happened? Run out of Vietnamese Scotch?

John_Wayne
10-29-2004, 08:25 AM
My Grandpa drank Schlitz for decades because it was cheap. Then he died.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-29-2004, 08:29 AM
My favorite beer... :thumb:

siberian khatru

Heh, I like that stuff. It's great how some folks' tastes can be so wildly divergent.

Oh, BTW, you're dead wrong. :p :p

gblowfish
What the hell is wrong with Buckhorn?

http://www.askuncleralph.com/buckhorn_beer_can.jpg :thumb:
In the 1950's Schlitz was considered a premium lager, right up there with Bud and Miller. They sponsored the Chiefs and KC Athletics in the 1960's.

The brand name got bought out by another brewery...I think Miller eventually bought it, but not sure. Lots of old beer brand names have been bought by mega breweries and are still brewed under the original brand name, although in some cases the ingredients have been cheapened: Strohs (Fire Brewed in Detroit), Hamm's (Minneapolis), Old Style (LaCrosse, WI), Falstaff (St. Louis), Lone Star (San Antonio) are all still brewed, but are made by mega breweries.

When I was in college in late 70's, there were lots of really dirt dog cheap beers where you could buy a buttload of beer for less than $10. Cheapest were:
Schaefer's, Schmidt's, Carling Black Label, Weideman's, Grain Belt, Busch or Busch Natural Light, and the ultimate cheapest beer was a St. Louis generic beer made for the "905" Liquor store chain. It was god awful and dirt cheap....like $5 for a case.

ChiefGator
10-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Hmm... Personally, I like Pabst as a good cheap beer. Didn' realize it had made a comeback.. Guess that's why the price has gone up about $1.50 a twelve pack.

Molitoth
10-29-2004, 08:51 AM
I have the 1985 Royals world series game 7 on vhs tape and its amazing how many comercials you see for "Strohs".

"Now your talking good times, now your talkin beer"
something like that.

After watching the game last summer with all my buddies we decided to call every store in St. Joseph and try and find some Strohs but nobody had it. But then my friend found it in Chicago and brought back 2- 18 packs! :thumb:

siberian khatru
10-29-2004, 08:58 AM
I have the 1985 Royals world series game 7 on vhs tape

Mine's on Beta. :deevee: :banghead:

shakesthecat
10-29-2004, 09:08 AM
"Alex, bring me a Stroh's"

Cochise
10-29-2004, 09:11 AM
You know, some of my friends had Stroh neon signs or those mirrors hanging in their apartments during college, items that had been handed down to them, but I've never actually seen a can or bottle of the stuff.

ptlyon
10-29-2004, 09:11 AM
"Mike, bring me an Oly"

shakesthecat
10-29-2004, 09:14 AM
"Mike, bring me an Oly"

I bet you drink those cute little 8 ouncers, don't ya.

ptlyon
10-29-2004, 09:15 AM

Of course! That way I can drink more than you! :)

gblowfish
10-29-2004, 09:54 AM
"Alex, bring me a Stroh's"
Here's a 1999 story from "The Real Beer" webpage about how regional beer brands (including Stroh's) got swallowed up by the mega breweries:

Stroh Sells Out: Pabst, Miller Pick Up Brands

150-year-old company to sell or close breweries
April, 1999

In the "brews on first" world of American mega-brewing, another strikeout was recorded on February 8. Stroh Brewing Company of Detroit, MI, the nation's fourth-largest brewer, announced that it was getting out of the beer business. The 150-year old company ended months of speculation about its future with the sale of its major brands to rivals Pabst and Miller. The wave of Stroh's demise struck the Northwest hard as major regional brands here changed hands.

Under the new agreement, Seattle's Rainier Beer went to Pabst, which also produces Olympia. Portland's Blitz-Weinhard brands were acquired by Miller (itself a division of tobacco giant Philip Morris), including Henry's, Mickey's, Olde English 800, and Hamm's.

Since both Rainier and Blitz-Weinhard were contract brewing other beers in the Northwest under Stroh , notably Pete's (Seattle) and Samuel Adams (Portland), the future of these arrangements was also thrown into doubt by the deal. The Boston Beer Co., however, owners of Samuel Adams, has indicated that Pabst will honor the former contract relationship it has with Stroh's.

The biggest question, however, lies in the future of the Rainier and Blitz-Weinhard breweries themselves. Stroh has already sold its Lehigh Valley, PA brewery to Pabst, and has announced that the Northwest breweries will be sold or closed within 90 days. Even though the company has maintained in a press releases that it will retain "a significant number" of its 2,800 employees nationwide during its nine-month downsizing "transition", it is not known how workers in the Northwest will be affected. The Rainier Brewery alone, a Seattle landmark since 1916, has some 230 employees. Neither brewery would comment to Beer Notes about the situation.

Speculation in the industry is rampant that the Gambrinus Corporation of San Antonio, TX, which bought Pete's Ales last year and owns BridgePort Brewing Company in Portland, may be a potential buyer for one or both breweries. Gambrinus is riding high with its distribution rights to Corona, the number one U.S. import. BridgePort also reported a 36% increase in its IPA sales last year.

In the Midwest, the future of Stroh's LaCrosse brewery is in doubt. The former Heilemann plant is a large, modern facility with a capacity of up to 10 million barrels per year. Speculation on the street is that the LaCrosse brewery will be closed by the end of 1999. No likely buyers appear to be on the horizon, although Gambrinus has come up here as well. An outside possibility is a foreign brewer with an eye on entering the U.S. market, although most industry observers think this is unlikely.

The current scorecard of major beer brands reads as follows: Pabst now produces Olympia, Rainier. Falstaff, Ballantine, Lucky Lager, Pearl, Stroh's, Schlitz, Schaefer, Schmidt, Old Style, Lone Star, Special Export. Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Colt 45, Country Club Malt Liquor, and Schlitz Malt Liquor. Miller now makes Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Light, Henry Weinhard's, Mickey's Malt Liquor, Olde English 800, Hamm's, and other brands.

Dartgod
10-29-2004, 10:13 AM
This is my favorite....

http://www.40ouncebeer.com/misc/generic.jpg

:thumb: :BLVD: :toast:

Spott
10-29-2004, 10:26 AM
I didn't even know they made that stuff any more. Are Pabst Blue Ribbon and Hamms still around?

shakesthecat
10-29-2004, 10:28 AM
This is my favorite....

In an effort to curb the theft of beer from their basement fridge, my folks resorted to buying both "Beer" and "Light Beer"

Almost worked too, as I nearly gave up drinkin after spray painting the siding, outside my bedroom window one night.

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Ahhh, Good Oll Shitz.

A true American Wife Beater Beer!

NewChief
10-29-2004, 10:51 AM

Those are great. They have those word picture puzzle on the bottle caps.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Blasphemer! Schlitz is tasty stuff. And, it's cheap, too!

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Because it only cost $0.25 a six pack?
5 bucks and some change for a twelver last time I grabbed some.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Schlitz is better.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Are you sure it wasn't Schmidt's?
Haha.

Cohise is gay.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:40 AM

They still make Pearl?

Never had it. Only heard it referenced in a David Allen Coe song... and occasionally see old Pearl signs in bars.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:40 AM

A can of PBR completes the ensemble you started with your $30 trucker hat.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Natural Lite is the only choice if you're broke and need beer. Only two things will survive a nuclear holocaust, cockroaches and the men who drank enough Natty.
While I've had more than my fair share of Natty Lite, High Life and Schlitz have much more flavor, and are generally the same price.

Natty Lite and Coors seem like lightly beer flavored carbonated water to me.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Milwaukee's Best was the first beer I ever drank. :Lin:
I knew a dipstick in college who always drank Beast heavy.

I've had a Beast Light or two on occassion, but I don't think I've ever bought it. High Life is better, and costs the same.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:46 AM
decrease your sperm count by 95%.

Awesome. I'm buying a case of it right away.

No more of those "I'm late" phone calls.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:47 AM
nothing wrong w/ shlitz,PBR....though im a High Life man.
Hell yes!

*high fives MOHillbilly*

Finally a man who knows what he's talking about.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:51 AM
This is my favorite....

Someday... I will wander into a truck stop selling that. And when that day comes, I will be a happy man indeed.

stumppy
10-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Natty Lite and Coors seem like lightly beer flavored carbonated water to me.

I always considered Coors Light to be about the same as making love in a canoe.

Fuggin near water!!

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Schlitz is responsible for my presence on the Planet. My earliest posts were made while consuming excessive quantities of the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=43991&highlight=ENDelt260

MOhillbilly
10-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Schlitz is responsible for my presence on the Planet. My earliest posts were made while consuming excessive quantities of the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

Jerry Lee had a hit song about guys like you.

Cochise
10-29-2004, 12:08 PM

Just the kiss of the hops...

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Jerry Lee had a hit song about guys like you.
While they are impressive, my balls are not made of fire.

MOhillbilly
10-29-2004, 12:23 PM
While they are impressive, my balls are not made of fire.

pssss........ that song is about women.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 12:42 PM
*singing to Schlitz can*

Got to tell the world that you're mine mine mine mine!!

bogie
10-29-2004, 12:47 PM
HEINEKEN?

yes! Heineken! The first time I ever got drunk was on Schlitz Malt Liquor 16 oz. cans. Do they still have generic beer? All it said on the can was Beer.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 12:49 PM
When I was a kid I used to have a Schlitz Malt Liquor hat with bull horns on it.

Never had a drop of the stuff, tho.

Chiefnj
10-29-2004, 12:59 PM
For the money you can't beat Natty Light.

CosmicPal
10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I usually go for the mixed drinks when I'm at the bar.

But, if I do drink beer at the bars, it's usually one of the following:

Fat Tire

Red Stripe

Staropranen (some fantastic Czech beer)

Samuel Adams Oatmeal Stout

Guinness; and sometimes, I'll order a black & tan with Harp

Heineken

Or some cheap azz beer called Leinenkugle should I be low on cash and in a foul mood.

Otherwise, you'll never catch me drinking PBR or Schlitz or roughly anything thing that leaves a foul aftertaste and possibly tastes like piss.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 01:08 PM
For the money you can't beat Natty Light.
Yes you can.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Or some cheap azz beer called Leinenkugle

I think that's the first time I've ever heard that described as "cheap ass beer".

CosmicPal
10-29-2004, 01:11 PM
I think that's the first time I've ever heard that described as "cheap ass beer".

Compared to the other stuff I'm drinking it is....

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 01:41 PM
I've honestly never bought it. I think somebody might've given me on at a party once or something.

I've always thought it fell under the classification "Premium Domestic" with Sam Adams and the like. Is there really a significant price difference between Leinekwhatever and Red Stripe or Fat Tire?

MOhillbilly
10-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Meh. I dont see what the big deal is. Cheap beer gets you just as drunk.
MWB,High Life,natty,PBR all work for me and i doubt if id ever turn one down.Id even gag a Cooks down if i was desprate enough.

Edit:

As a matter of fact last night i drank half a 40 that i left out for 3 days,then sat in the fridge for a month.:thumb:hardcore.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Hardcore, indeed. If I'm ever over for a visit, MO, I'll be more than happy to partake of the ice cold, fresh, Schlitz from the fridge. The half-empty 3 day old warm ML is all yours.

Molitoth
10-29-2004, 01:50 PM
My fav beers are

1) Spaten - Optimator
2) Newcastle
3) Pete's Wicked Ale

MOhillbilly
10-29-2004, 01:52 PM
3) Pete's Wicked Ale

didnt think that was still around.

ZepSinger
10-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Ahhh, yes, the days of cheap beer..

Back in the early band days, we did a 4 week tour of northern Minnesota(Duluth, Eveleth, etc.); in January. Our booking agent was apparently a moron.

Anyway, on this tour we bought case after case of 'Black Label' beer. Tasted similar to Bud, about 1/2 the price. Wasn't too bad, if I remember right..
:hmmm:

MOhillbilly
10-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Ahhh, yes, the days of cheap beer..

Back in the early band days, we did a 4 week tour of northern Minnesota(Duluth, Eveleth, etc.); in January. Our booking agent was apparently a moron.

Anyway, on this tour we bought case after case of 'Black Label' beer. Tasted similar to Bud, about 1/2 the price. Wasn't too bad, if I remember right..
:hmmm:

Black label is good stuff. When the local kids had a DIY club it was the top shelf drink of choice.

CosmicPal
10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
I've honestly never bought it. I think somebody might've given me on at a party once or something.

I've always thought it fell under the classification "Premium Domestic" with Sam Adams and the like. Is there really a significant price difference between Leinekwhatever and Red Stripe or Fat Tire?

To be honest, Brian- I'm not sure how you would classify it. A friend of mine turned me onto it at a dive bar once. I was getting low on cash and wanted a beer- he suggested Leinenkugle. It was at least a dollar cheaper than the domestic stuff, may even have been $1.50...to be honest I don't recall for it's been awhile since I've actually had one.

I'm usually into the mixed drinks when I'm at the bar, but when things get a little hazy and I'm not driving home- I'll change to beer. It's not bad beer...but, then again, by the time I'm drinking that stuff all the fat ugly women are looking pretty good.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, whaddya know... maybe that bar just has it on special. Or, perhaps I've just always had a mistaken perception about that beer.

I may need to do some research. Step one... figure out how to correctly spell the ****ing name.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Meh. I dont see what the big deal is. Cheap beer gets you just as drunk.
MWB,High Life,natty,PBR all work for me and i doubt if id ever turn one down.Id even gag a Cooks down if i was desprate enough.

Edit:

As a matter of fact last night i drank half a 40 that i left out for 3 days,then sat in the fridge for a month.:thumb:hardcore.
I have a few dozen half empty cans of Schlitz sitting around the apartment. Some of them have cigarette butts in em.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2004, 02:13 PM
To be honest, Brian- I'm not sure how you would classify it. A friend of mine turned me onto it at a dive bar once. I was getting low on cash and wanted a beer- he suggested Leinenkugle. It was at least a dollar cheaper than the domestic stuff, may even have been $1.50...to be honest I don't recall for it's been awhile since I've actually had one.

I'm usually into the mixed drinks when I'm at the bar, but when things get a little hazy and I'm not driving home- I'll change to beer. It's not bad beer...but, then again, by the time I'm drinking that stuff all the fat ugly women are looking pretty good.
Leine is pretty good stuff IMO. I don't think its "cheap".

Demonpenz
10-29-2004, 02:17 PM
i ususally had a warm natty lite in my car just in case i have a hang over and want to keep the party going

MOhillbilly
10-29-2004, 02:20 PM
I have a few dozen half empty cans of Schlitz sitting around the apartment. Some of them have cigarette butts in em.

Nothing funnier than the dude who cant keep track of whick one is his and spits out a cig.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 02:23 PM
One day I cracked open a fresh can of beer. I think I maybe got one sip out of it.... then Boozer put a cigarette in it.

I still haven't forgiven him.

Jenny Gump
10-29-2004, 09:17 PM
My theory on beer (and I know you are all on the edge of your seats for this) is that if you're going to buy it, you might as well buy the good stuff that you enjoy drinking. So what if it's a few extra bucks. Big deal. You only live once...

Skip Towne
10-29-2004, 09:24 PM
My theory on beer (and I know you are all on the edge of your seats for this) is that if you're going to buy it, you might as well buy the good stuff that you enjoy drinking. So what if it's a few extra bucks. Big deal. You only live once...
So you put down the pipe for now? No more Megatronics or Hydroplanetary? Are you Forrest's wife? You're just as goofy.

Jenny Gump
10-29-2004, 09:26 PM
So you put down the pipe for now? No more Megatronics or Hydroplanetary? Are you Forrest's wife? You're just as goofy.

No pipe for me. There is a story behind the megatron etc, but you wouldn't find it amusing.

Carry on.

Skip Towne
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Well, whaddya know... maybe that bar just has it on special. Or, perhaps I've just always had a mistaken perception about that beer.

I may need to do some research. Step one... figure out how to correctly spell the ****ing name.
Hey, while you are at it learn to spell seperate......it's separate.

Skip Towne
10-29-2004, 09:34 PM
No pipe for me. There is a story behind the megatron etc, but you wouldn't find it amusing.

Carry on.
Oh, Ok, you're probably right. Yes, Dear. What else am I supposed to say?