PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: NFL says Super Bowl in KC possible if Bi-State passes

tk13
10-29-2004, 01:34 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10041482.htm

Super thoughts for city

NFL: Big game could go to cold site; bistate foe questions timing

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

An NFL spokesman said Thursday that the league would consider playing a Super Bowl in a renovated Arrowhead Stadium. The renovations hinge on next week's Bistate II vote.

The sites for Super Bowls in 2011 and beyond were a topic of discussion at NFL meetings near Detroit this week. Kansas City was mentioned, as were Dallas and Los Angeles, who are pushing for new stadiums.

Super Bowl sites have been awarded through 2008 to, in order, Jacksonville, Fla.; Detroit; Miami; and Glendale, Ariz. Sites for the 2009 and 2010 games will be awarded at the league meetings in May.

“After those games are awarded and assuming the Chiefs are playing in a Super Bowl-quality stadium, then Kansas City would be a candidate for a future Super Bowl beginning with the game to be played in 2011,” said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

Area residents go to the polls next week to vote on, among other issues, a bistate tax that would provide for extensive renovations of Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums.

One bistate opponent, Wayne Flaherty, said the NFL stance was a blatant attempt to win votes for the issue.

“I don't think that will win any votes,” said Flaherty, the treasurer for Kansans Against Bi-State. “It's transparent, tantamount to blackmail.

“It tells me the teams, the big proponents and even the NFL know they're in deep trouble. It makes us all more determined to bring this thing down.”

Carl Peterson, the Chiefs' president and general manager, indicated the NFL initiated the possibility of a Kansas City Super Bowl without prompting from the team.

“But I don't know how serious a candidate we would be,” Peterson said. “You would have to ask the commissioner about that.”

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue deferred questions regarding future Super Bowl sites to Aiello. The league did not specify how many cities are being considered for sites beyond 2010 or when a site would be determined. The site is selected by a vote of team owners.

Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt did not return phone messages Thursday.

The NFL has never played a Super Bowl in an outdoor stadium outside Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona or California, though two Super Bowls were played in domed stadiums in Michigan and Minnesota.

There was a brief movement in 2001 to move the Super Bowl to Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., to aid in the economic recovery of the region following 9/11.

And while the league was thrilled at the prospect of playing the game so close to New York City, the idea never went far for weather reasons, among other issues.

The game is played in late January or early February.

This year on Feb. 1, the date of the Super Bowl in Houston, Kansas City had a high temperature of 32 degrees with almost a half-inch of freezing rain and ice.

On Jan. 26, 2003, the date of Super Bowl XXXVII in San Diego, Kansas City was dry but with a high temperature of 19 degrees.

No Super Bowl has ever been played in such conditions. But the Big 12 has played its championship game at Arrowhead twice, albeit in the typically milder climate of early December, and will bring its game to Kansas City again this year.

Aiello said the NFL has no formal policy against a cold-weather Super Bowl.

“That's up to the ownership,” he said. “The Super Bowls are awarded by a vote of the clubs. If a majority of the owners vote for a Super Bowl in Kansas City, it would happen.”

Another issue is the availability of hotel rooms. Aiello said the NFL requires about 35,000 hotel rooms within an hour's drive of a Super Bowl stadium.

The Kansas City area has about 30,000 hotel rooms.

ChiefJustice
10-29-2004, 01:51 AM
It will never happen...ever!

And,it makes me sick.

Fairplay
10-29-2004, 01:55 AM
I find that highly doubtful.

Ari Chi3fs
10-29-2004, 04:25 AM
SuperBowl XL is gonna be large.

Cochise
10-29-2004, 05:41 AM
I won't give a rip if we aren't playing in it.

Bob Dole
10-29-2004, 06:56 AM
What?

Evidently the proposal will fund a climate change, because Bob Dole sure hasn't seen a dome in the plans, and those are the only two elements that would ever allow a SB in KC.

VonneMarie
10-29-2004, 07:02 AM
I think it will happen... but they'll go to New York and Boston first.

the Talking Can
10-29-2004, 07:13 AM
they're pulling our leg

Brock
10-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Bullshit.

Skip Towne
10-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Bullshit.
Agreed.

Chiefnj
10-29-2004, 07:59 AM
If NY didn't get it after 9-11 then KC won't get it.

Lightning Rod
10-29-2004, 08:04 AM
yeah right :rolleyes:

so I guess it will build a bunch of hotel rooms too?

Phobia
10-29-2004, 08:52 AM
yeah right :rolleyes:

so I guess it will build a bunch of hotel rooms too?
Lord knows there's enough money to build 5,000 rooms. You could build a giant hotel and let some ****ing artists do some fingerpainting in each room. There's your damn museum - right there....

and we STILL wouldn't get a SuperBowl.

KC Jones
10-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Maybe if we encapsulate the Plaza, Wesport, Downtown, and the stadium complex in one massive climate controlled clear dome, we could get a SB in KC. Otherwise - forget about it. The SB is a big show for incredibly wealthy people who do not want to go somewhere cold for winter.

Lightning Rod
10-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Lord knows there's enough money to build 5,000 rooms. You could build a giant hotel and let some ****ing artists do some fingerpainting in each room. There's your damn museum - right there....

and we STILL wouldn't get a SuperBowl.

LMAO :thumb:

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 10:06 AM
BS! I thought their was some kind of rule about the SuperBowl being played in Domes only.

Spott
10-29-2004, 10:15 AM
It won't happen because all the corporate big wigs and other rich schmucks that the Super Bowl is really for are too big of pu$$ies to watch a game in cold weather.

Now excuse me while I go take a stroll on the sunny Florida beach and try to recall what cold weather games were like. :)

Phobia
10-29-2004, 10:32 AM
BS! I thought their was some kind of rule about the SuperBowl being played in Domes only.

No. 2 out the last 4 SB's have been played in open air stadiums. Raymond James in Tampa and Qualcomm in San Diego.

There's an unwritten rule about cold weather domes, though.

Mr. Laz
10-29-2004, 10:58 AM
bull balls...

someone from the chiefs organization ask the league to float this rumor to try and bolster the vote for the Bi-state tax.

sad part is that some people will buy it ... good part is that most of the people that will buy into this crap have already bought into all the BS already. So it prolly wouldnt effect the vote too much

Thig Lyfe
10-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Football was meant to be played in the cold, not on a beach. The super bowl should be played during a massive snowstorm. Screw the corporate asshats. They can freeze to death for all I care.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Has the fact that this is BS been covered sufficiently?

Another factor to consider, aside from the game, is the "NFL Experience". A lot of other garbage goes on around a Super Bowl that generates revenue and requires good weather. As fans of the game, and not the hype, we may have a tendency to overlook such things. But, the folks counting dollar bills for the NFL most assuredly do not.

grandllama
10-29-2004, 11:32 AM

yeah that's one hell of a dome they've built in Jacksonville for this years SB

jspchief
10-29-2004, 12:04 PM
bull balls...

someone from the chiefs organization ask the league to float this rumor to try and bolster the vote for the Bi-state tax.

Exactly. This is an example of the NFL doing their part to get an Owner what he wants. They said the same sh*t last year to get the New Jersey Giants a new stadium.

I'm sure they will "consider" it. It will go something like this:

Paul Tagliabue: "Should we let KC have a Superbowl?
Greg Aiello: "Hmmm, interesting"
Other NFL exec: "Isn't it f*cking frigid in KC in Feb?"
Tagliabue: "Yea, f*ck that, how about Miami again?"

Even if the NFL ever did decide to start having cold weather Superbowls (which will never happen) We'd be about ten stadiums down the list, behind classic franchises like New York, Green Bay, and Chicago.

Hydrae
10-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Football was meant to be played in the cold, not on a beach. The super bowl should be played during a massive snowstorm. Screw the corporate asshats. They can freeze to death for all I care.

I think it should be played in the home stadium of the team with the better record just like the rest of the playoffs. Weather is a part of football and having it at neutral sites is disgusting.

At the same time, I know it is really more about the show and the money than the game. It is a shame though.

Mark M
10-29-2004, 12:58 PM
bull balls...

sad part is that some people will buy it ... good part is that most of the people that will buy into this crap have already bought into all the BS already. So it prolly wouldnt effect the vote too much

Yeah ... it's all a conspiracy by that mastermind Carl Peterson. :rolleyes: ;)

While I think the game should rotate (football is an all-weather game, dammit!), the chances of the SB coming to KC are about as good as me starting at MLB for the Ravens this week.

MM
~~:shake:

memyselfI
10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10041482.htm

Super thoughts for city

I guess given King Carl's record that might be the ONLY way to get KC in a Superbowl.... :hmmm:

other than that, it's bull shit. And it's too bad anyway...because I already voted no and would again.

morphius
10-29-2004, 01:25 PM
If the superbowl was for the fan's it could be played anywhere, but its not, so KC will not get one until we build a dome, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Thig Lyfe
02-04-2007, 05:12 PM

Or in the rain.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Todays game will be all the more reason for the NFL to go "Climate controlled" exclusively

Thig Lyfe
02-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Todays game will be all the more reason for the NFL to go "Climate controlled" exclusively

Bah. This game has been great.

Demonpenz
02-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I would like it in the dome where weather can't be a factor. It's easier to bet on the games.

Valiant
02-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Bah. This game has been great.

I agree, a game in the elements make it ten times more enjoyable...

opraider
02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
And then Carl can raise ticket prices again, claiming Kansas city was rewarded the Super Bowl!

DomerNKC
02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
And then Carl can raise ticket prices again, claiming Kansas city was rewarded the Super Bowl!he will raise ticket prices anyway.

meStevo
02-04-2007, 10:10 PM
On 2/5 in the last 28 years it has rained 28 times. Why not just go with a cold game in a different venue, so what if you get snow, the game wont look like ass with fogged, smudged and raindrop spattered cameras.

The whole time tonight my friends were saying 'why won't they play in the cold if they'll play a game in the rain?'

Stupid

TinyEvel
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
POLL: What will we see first?

A SuperBowl in KC
or
KC in the SuperBowl?
:shrug:

Frazod
02-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm not a fan of this roof thing, but it sure would be nice to see all the parasites from Kansas pay their far share for a change. It is grossly unfair for local Missouri residents to shoulder the burden for a team the entire region claims.

RedThat
02-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Im tired of hearing this crap.

I think we should just concentrate on trying to build a SB team instead of hosting it.

I wouldn't want to see KC as one of those teams hosting the SB, and not playing in it! Lets try to build a team and have them go to the SB through our house, not other teams playing in our own backyard, and having us watch.

*What is wrong with this organization?

Are they the kind of people that would prepare a nice beautiful BBQ on a nice Sunday afternoon, invite a bunch of bullies over their house, watch them eat all their food, and have them make a mess and leave?

Joe Seahawk
02-05-2007, 01:07 AM
I froze my ass off in Detroit last year.. I would have much rather been in KC..

Arrowhead would be much better than Ford field..

Kerberos
02-05-2007, 06:51 AM
I'm not a fan of this roof thing, but it sure would be nice to see all the parasites from Kansas pay their far share for a change. It is grossly unfair for local Missouri residents to shoulder the burden for a team the entire region claims.

As I think this statement is extremely unfair I see your point.

But with that thought in mind I would want to have first crack at game tickets just like Jackson County residents. There are not enough seats in the stadium to open it up to everyone.

Don't like it ??? Vote it down and its a done deal. That is pretty easy.

morphius
02-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Well, Kansas would probably pay their fair share if they had any control over the money instead of it being controlled by the already proven inept Jackson County Sports Authority. Oddly, I doubt you would be handing over your tax dollars happily to that group if you were in the same situation.

UL Washington
02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Im tired of hearing this crap.

I think we should just concentrate on trying to build a SB team instead of hosting it.

I wouldn't want to see KC as one of those teams hosting the SB, and not playing in it! Lets try to build a team and have them go to the SB through our house, not other teams playing in our own backyard, and having us watch.

*What is wrong with this organization?

Are they the kind of people that would prepare a nice beautiful BBQ on a nice Sunday afternoon, invite a bunch of bullies over their house, watch them eat all their food, and have them make a mess and leave?

All the while charging them inflated prices on everything and giving the local economy a huge shot in the arm.

What a stupid thing to do!