PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players or the like

Scaga
10-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't know the first thing about them. Looking to get something like this for my 13 year old daughter. Thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on the "latest and greatest", just something that she can keep her music on....
(you know...that crap they listen to know :banghead: )

What should I be looking for???

KC Jones
10-29-2004, 12:05 PM
www.epinions.com (http://www.epinions.com/mp3_digital_audio_players/_redir_att__~1)

I'd reccomend you get something that can play more file formats than just MP3. I suspect that with all of the greater fidelity and more compact formats around people will start using the other formats more. I hear good things about some of the iRiver players.

good luck

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2004, 12:07 PM
If cost is a factor, just get a personal mp3/CD player. You can fit over 100 tunes on 1 disc.

jspchief
10-29-2004, 12:10 PM
What do you consider a fortune? There's two levels of MP3 player, both in cost and storage space. The low cost ones will have 256 MB of storage, and go for around $100-150. 256 MB will hold about 75 songs. The next level will run you $250-350, but they have anywhere from 4-20 GB. They will hold 1000+ songs.

My recommendation would be the $250/4-5 GB range player. It's big enough that she won't outgrow it. But depending on her age and your budget, that may be too much.

I own the Rio Carbon. It's a 5GB player and cost me $250. It's very compact, holds a ton of music, and has a built in lithium ion battery with 20+ hours of playtime life.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the Apple IPod Mini. It has only 4GB of storage (one GB less than mine) for the same price, and is slightly larger. The reason I would buy this one is the Ipod's have more accessories, and has better functions on the actual player (on the fly playlists for example). IPod's are basically the standard that all other MP3 players strive to achieve. The mini also comes in some cool colors (something that might be important to a young girl).

If the larger ones are out of your range, I'd recommend Rio or Creative brands. Both should have several to choose from in that price range. Apple doesn't make one smaller than the Mini. I don't know if the smaller players have this option, but if they do, get one with a built in Lithium Ion battery. You just plug the player in to charge, much like a cell phone. If you buy one that runs off of regular alkaline batteries, you might as well buy stock in Duracell as well, because they eat batteries for breakfast.

Gaz
10-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Are you looking for a hard-drive player [stores TONS of tunes, but is costly] or a flash player [must be reloaded with tunes on a regular basis, but has a far lower up-front cost]?

If size is not an issue, a CD/MP3 player is a good option. The buffers are getting larger, so skipping is less likely for casual use. Flash player = small. Hard-drive player = bigger. CD/MP3 player = biggest. Another downside of a CD/MP3 player is carrying discs around with you. Of course, you can cram a whole lot of tunes in MP3 format on a CD.

PC World Magazine and CNET.com have reviews:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/browse/0,cat,1174,sortIdx,1,pg,1,00.asp
http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/2001-6450_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir

It does not sound like you want to spring for a hard drive player. As far as flash players are concerned, Creative and iRiver have reputations for good sound. I have an old Creative Nomad IIc that I have been very happy with. I also have a Creative MuVo that has pretty good sound.

xoxo~
Gaz
Somehow started accumulating MP3 players.

NewChief
10-29-2004, 12:20 PM
If you want a FREE iPod, just click on this link, sign up for a promotional offer and get five other people to do the same:
http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10066727

Actually, it's a pyramid scheme that does work. I let someone talk me into it, because I actually wanted one of the promotional offers (good coffee delivered to your door). I've had zero luck getting anyone else to sign up, though. I'm just not much of a salesman.

DaKCMan AP
10-29-2004, 12:23 PM
It does not sound like you want to spring for a hard drive player. As far as flash players are concerned, Creative and iRiver have reputations for good sound. I have an old Creative Nomad IIc that I have been very happy with. I also have a Creative MuVo that has pretty good sound.

I also have an old Creative Nomad II 64mb player. Still works great for me when I use it. Players come with much more than 64mb now. I can only fit around 15-20 songs on mine but since I use it sparingly thats fine.

Gaz
10-29-2004, 12:33 PM
For example:

Wal-Mart has a 64M Creative MuVo for $50 and a 128M Creative MuVo for $70.

They also have an RCA Lyra 64M player for $50. The upside to the Lyra is that it will accept a memory card, which expands the capability considerably.

1M of memory gives you about 1 minute of MP3 files or 2 minutes of WMA files.

xoxo~
Gaz
Looking at entry level stuff.

jspchief
10-29-2004, 12:45 PM
If you want a FREE iPod, just click on this link, sign up for a promotional offer and get five other people to do the same:
http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10066727

Actually, it's a pyramid scheme that does work. I let someone talk me into it, because I actually wanted one of the promotional offers (good coffee delivered to your door). I've had zero luck getting anyone else to sign up, though. I'm just not much of a salesman.

Don't bother with this. It's good way to get on a ton of mailing and spam lists and you'll never get your IPod. The company is legit in that they really are sending out Ipods, but it's based on the avalability. This scheme has been around for over a year, and I just heard that the company has only sent out 2500 Ipods...pretty miniscule considering they probably owe over a million.

irishjayhawk
10-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Don't bother with this. It's good way to get on a ton of mailing and spam lists and you'll never get your IPod. The company is legit in that they really are sending out Ipods, but it's based on the avalability. This scheme has been around for over a year, and I just heard that the company has only sent out 2500 Ipods...pretty miniscule considering they probably owe over a million.
Its harder than you think. So 2500 is reasonable. They will send you your ipod. I mean they are listed in BBB.

A better one though is my site: http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=3246

It has a no spam policy. Plus they are proven legit, just as freeipods.

Again, its not as easy as it sounds. many people wont' do it because they are skeptical. I have 2 ppl signed up and need 3 more, I am on a quest to get one to slience my dad's doubts and friends doubts. Then again, if it is true, that I dont' get one, its not like im out anything...

As far as on topic, Gaz pretty much summed it up.

Jmart
10-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I got a Rio Nitrus on Ebay for $100. It holds around 400 songs (1.5 Gigs) and I absolutely love it. It was a refurbished model but it looks and plays brand new and came with a 3 month warranty. There were a ton of them on there for around $100. I eventually want to upgrade to an Ipod but this was a great buy for the price. I listen to it every day.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2004, 02:46 PM
iPod.

David.
10-29-2004, 03:22 PM
iPod

20 gig

she'll love you forever

Scaga
10-29-2004, 03:26 PM
iPod

20 gig

she'll love you forever

Got her report card last night...
2-B
3-C
1-D

She'll be lucky if I buy her a cassette walkman :shake:

I'm thinking more in the Rio Nitrous range myself (if she's lucky)

David.
10-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Got her report card last night...
2-B
3-C
1-D

She'll be lucky if I buy her a cassette walkman :shake:

I'm thinking more in the Rio Nitrous range myself (if she's lucky)

haha, oh in that case. get her a nomad. You gotta load em up a lot. But they're pretty cool

jcroft
10-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Not that I'm recommending freeipods.com by any means, but I just wanted to say that I got my free on yesterday. It DOES work. Yes, you'll get more spam and yes it takes a while, but it DOES work.

That having been said, I would recommend an iPod. They are the de facto standard when it comes to digital music players, and all thing Apple are hot with the younger folks. If you girl told you she wanted an MP3 player, she was probably referring to an iPod. It's "what the cool kids have." Thankfully, this isn't the only reason to buy it -- it's by far the best player on the market. It's got the best hadware, the best user interface, the best software, and the most popular online music store to buy songs from.

If I were getting one for my daughter (who is 9), I'd be getting one of the iPod Minis. It's 4GB is enough to store plenty of songs (around 1000), they're cute as a button (and so is she), and they just work. $250 is pricley, but when you consider that the Flash based probably are probably going to cost you $150 to $225 and you're only going to get 256MB of memory, the iPod Mini is the way, way better deal.

David.
10-29-2004, 03:42 PM
the 20 gig is only 49 dollar more.

jcroft
10-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Yeah, but the 20 gig is twice the size, doesn't come in the cool colors, and is probably more than a 13 year old will ever need. You're right -- it's the better value (I have a 30GB myself, plus the Mini I got on freeipods.com), but for the 13 year old -- I bet the Mini is more what she'd want.

NewChief
10-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but the 20 gig is twice the size, doesn't come in the cool colors, and is probably more than a 13 year old will ever need. You're right -- it's the better value (I have a 30GB myself, plus the Mini I got on freeipods.com), but for the 13 year old -- I bet the Mini is more what she'd want.

See! See! So do yourself a favor, and click on my referral link (practicing up on his pushy sales routine).

That's cool that you got yours jcroft. I let the tech guy at my work talk me into trying it. I sent out a bunch of emails to folks about it, but I think that yahoo filtered them all into the bulk folder since I haven't gotten a single referral yet.

It's actually pretty easy and painless to do; trying to convince people of that fact is the hard part.

Here's a question, though: the guy that referred me said that he was able to sign up for a netflix type account with blockbuster that cost him nothing. He's just going to cancel it in a month. I couldn't find any of the promotionals that were truly free, though. I ended up opting for the boca java coffee delivery service. Were you able to find a promotional that was actually free?

Finally, if people are worried about spam, create a spam account from some free email service. Use it to sign up for all the promotional crap online.

jcroft
10-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I did the AOL one, and it was truly free. Just had to cancel within 30 days. Are they still offering it?

If ChiefsPlanet got organized on it, everyone here could have a free iPod in no time. We did it over at NewBeetle.org -- just set up a thread where people can post their referer links and then one person moderated it and told people which one to click on to get all the referrals for everyone. probably 30 people got all five. 10 or so have recieved their iPods, the rest are waiting on them.

Yeah, I have serpeate spam accounts like that. Works pretty well to keep the spam out of my main e-mail.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2004, 04:22 PM
I did the AOL one, and it was truly free. Just had to cancel within 30 days. Are they still offering it?

If ChiefsPlanet got organized on it, everyone here could have a free iPod in no time. We did it over at NewBeetle.org -- just set up a thread where people can post their referer links and then one person moderated it and told people which one to click on to get all the referrals for everyone. probably 30 people got all five. 10 or so have recieved their iPods, the rest are waiting on them.

Yeah, I have serpeate spam accounts like that. Works pretty well to keep the spam out of my main e-mail.
There is a thread like that here, somewhere. Search iPod.

jcroft
10-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Ahh, my bad then. :)

ChiefsFanatic
10-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Are you looking for a hard-drive player [stores TONS of tunes, but is costly] or a flash player [must be reloaded with tunes on a regular basis, but has a far lower up-front cost]?

If size is not an issue, a CD/MP3 player is a good option. The buffers are getting larger, so skipping is less likely for casual use. Flash player = small. Hard-drive player = bigger. CD/MP3 player = biggest. Another downside of a CD/MP3 player is carrying discs around with you. Of course, you can cram a whole lot of tunes in MP3 format on a CD.

PC World Magazine and CNET.com have reviews:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/browse/0,cat,1174,sortIdx,1,pg,1,00.asp
http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/2001-6450_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir

xoxo~
Gaz
Somehow started accumulating MP3 players.

I have an iRiver mp3 cd player, and it doesn't skip at all. Ever.

Edit: When playing an mp3 disc.

KC Jones
10-31-2004, 11:04 AM
thought the thread author might find this interesting...

mp3newswire.net has released a 4 part series about "ipod killers" - i.e devices most likely good enough to break ipods dominate position.

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2004/xmasplayers.html
http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2004/xmasplayers2.html
http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2004/xmasplayers3.html
http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2004/xmasplayers4.html

KCWolfman
10-31-2004, 11:12 AM
70 bucks - Memorex mp3 Player. Internal memory 64Mb. Card for additional memory (additional 30 bucks) 256Mb. That's about 100 songs. Since I keep my files on my pc and keep the arranged backed up and in order, the player is not as important as the database. 100 songs is more than enough and I can change up according to genre, artist, years of release, title, alubum, or my own personal rating.

100 bucks seems reasonable - 250 or more seem extreme as it is just another PC at that point, and I have plenty of those already.