~~:spock:

seclark
10-29-2004, 02:05 PM
wtf...pass that bad-boy over this way.
sec

Wrasse
10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Make a little birdhouse in your soul.

...and while your at it...keep the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul.

Mark M
10-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Particle man, particle man ...

:)

Sorry. Just listening to some songs on my computer and am in the "Ts."

I forgot how kooky yet great TMBG are.

MM
~~:D

Rausch
10-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Aaaaaaaah...the night light song...

Wrasse
10-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Just got their greatest hits the other day...still need to replace my Flood album as well. :(

Mark M
10-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Just got their greatest hits the other day...still need to replace my Flood album as well. :(

I need to replace a few of mine as well. I've got some of their songs here at work on the computer, but not at home (except for a mix tape with a few).

MM
~~:sulk:

KC Jones
10-29-2004, 02:16 PM
I met someone at the dog show, she was holding my left hand...

Bob Dole
10-29-2004, 04:12 PM
There's not one thing that you can say to make it right
Unless you say "I'm leavin"
And if you're not...then please tell me why

Sorry... Just listening to Sevendust and wanted to join in.

The Bad Guy
10-29-2004, 04:15 PM
They Might be Giants kick ass.

jcroft
10-29-2004, 04:18 PM
I can't stand here listening to you and your racist friend.

Ghostof
10-29-2004, 04:20 PM
They may be giants...lol

Did you know that Lin Elliot is related to the lead singer?

Ultra Peanut
10-29-2004, 04:22 PM
There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores
And kept the beaches shipwreck-free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off
And countless screaming argonauts

jcroft
10-29-2004, 04:27 PM
I returned as a bag of gracries, accidentially taken off the shelf before the expiration date...

Ultra Peanut
10-29-2004, 04:28 PM
I'll never know what you'll find when you open your letterbox tomorrow
Cause a little bird never tells me anything I wanna know she's my best friend she's a sparrow
And I'll never never know what you never never never wanna know when you know what you are-o

Ultra Peanut
10-29-2004, 04:31 PM
She thinks she's Edith Head
But you might know she's not
The accent in her speech
She didn't have growing up

She thinks she's Edith Head
Or Helen Gurley Brown
Or some other cultural figure
We don't know a lot about

KC Jones
10-29-2004, 05:04 PM
circa 1989 I picked up a TMBG cassette from someone for a roadtrip to Omaha. My buddy and I became instant fans after listening to that tape over and over on that trip. A year or two later they came to town and I went down to the Uptown to pick up tickets. I locked my keys in the car while it was still running. I was so incredibly embarassed, and to make it even worse it was my older brother who answered the phone and drove down with some extra keys to get my car unlocked for me. Anyway, as you might imagine they are more of a studio band. Two guys messing with electronics doesn't exactly make for such a great show. However, it was fun to sing along with the rest of the audience.

To this day, when I'm trying to think of songs to sing to my kids TMBG songs from that first album pop into my head. I have to censor myself all the time unless I sing something with inappropriate lyrics like "I hope I get old before I die". You might not think the lyrics are inappropriate, but once your 3 year old starts crying and says he doesn't want you to die you realize they were meant for a more mature audience.

Ultra Peanut
10-29-2004, 05:09 PM
In 1844, the Democrats were spliiiiiiiiiit
The three nominees for the presidential candidaaaaaate
Were Martin Van Buren, a former president and an abolitionist
James Buchanan, a moderate
Louis Cass, a general and expansioniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist
From Nashville came a dark horse riding uuuuuuuup
He was James K. Polk, Napoleon of the Stump

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 05:42 PM
say I'm the only bee in your bonnet.

MM
~~:spock:
Sweet! A TMBG thread.

Make a little birdhouse in your soul.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Aaaaaaaah...the night light song...
One of my favorite all-time TMBG lines comes with the discussion of the lighthouse ancestors... and he mentions that he would be fired if that were his job, "...after killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts"

I seriously laugh every time. That line never gets old for me.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 05:47 PM
There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores
And kept the beaches shipwreck-free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off
And countless screaming argonauts
ROFL

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Anyway, as you might imagine they are more of a studio band. Two guys messing with electronics doesn't exactly make for such a great show.

They tour and record with a full band now.

Ultra Peanut
10-29-2004, 05:50 PM
They tour and record with a full band now.I was actually looking for a link to a live bootleg site to respond to that post, but I gave up.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I've seen 'em live twice. Once in KC in HS, and once in StL during college.

They came to Tucson a few weeks back.. but, it was the same night Tech N9ne was supposed to be in town, and I had a couple buddies driving down to go to that show with me. Course, the f*cking Tech N9ne concert got cancelled... so, I did get to see jack.

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
I was actually looking for a link to a live bootleg site to respond to that post, but I gave up.
The live shows rock. Nothing like getting everyone in Memorial Hall in a conga line.

Ultra Peanut
10-29-2004, 05:59 PM
The live shows rock. Nothing like getting everyone in Memorial Hall in a conga line."Everybody conga! I'm not ****ing kidding!"

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 05:59 PM
To this day, when I'm trying to think of songs to sing to my kids TMBG songs from that first album pop into my head. I have to censor myself all the time unless I sing something with inappropriate lyrics like "I hope I get old before I die". You might not think the lyrics are inappropriate, but once your 3 year old starts crying and says he doesn't want you to die you realize they were meant for a more mature audience.

I intended to respond to this part as well... but, I must've gotten distracted by a shiny object or something.

A couple years ago TMBG released an album of children's songs (I shit you not) called "NO!" You should be able to find it on amazon.com if you can't at your local record store.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000068C97.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ENDelt260
10-29-2004, 06:03 PM
"Everybody conga! I'm not ****ing kidding!"
I don't recall that phrase being used at either of the shows I attended. People just knew to do it.

The first show I went to in KC... I believe they hadn't been doing it for awhile. I forget specifics... memory isn't all that great (damn you, beer). Anyway, it was some manner of triumphant return of the conga. I remember John (I don't remember which) saying on the mike, "Born in St. Louis.... killed in Kansas City" which left me thinking, "WTF?" I'm perplexed by that line to this day.