PDA

View Full Version : The Official drown your sorrows thread

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, itís officialÖ.

R&GHomer has seen the sharp end of the big corporate ax. So, I think it only appropriate to drown my sorrows in a five dollar bottle of Thunder Chicken :) ďall I can affordĒ Na seriously; Iíve been saving a bottle of 25 year old scotch for a special occasion, and although this isnít a special occasion; itís an occasion none the less.

So let me propose a toast. :toast:

To all you heartless big corporate bean counters and azz kissing middle managers. I hope you get trampled by a stampede of rabid hamsters, and your genitals infested by a swarm of demented Turkish crabs.

Frazod
10-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear that. Of course, you can take solace in the fact that some rich douche's stock went up a fraction of a point over it. He's probably drinking expensive scotch right now, too. :grr:

Spicy McHaggis
10-29-2004, 07:24 PM
My condolences man. Here's to everything working out and you being back on the up and up soon.

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 07:30 PM
I'll be alright "I hope" This is my first time being unemployed. Shown the door so they could bring in a part time person they don't have to give benefits. Big Blue sucks Big Blue balls

Hydrae
10-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear of this trouble. But with the election next week, whoever wins will get this fixed stat I am sure!

Sorry, I had to go there. Seriously, good luck. Hopefully this will work out well in the end. It is amazing sometimes how some of the worst things turn out to be the best in the long run.

KcMizzou
10-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear that. Of course, you can take solace in the fact that some rich douche's stock went up a fraction of a point over it. He's probably drinking expensive scotch right now, too. :grr: That's Fraz for ya... always looking for the silver lining. :p

Hang in there R&G. Sounds like you're not letting it get you too down. Hope you find something even better soon...

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 08:08 PM
I can't let it get me down to much. I really kind of saw it coming. As soon as they started talking about a force restructure and they adopted a hiring policy of no new full timersí only supplemental employees. I just hate they way they did it.

bogie
10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
R&G, what kind of work do you do?

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 08:51 PM
R&G, what kind of work do you do?

Truthfully, itís hard to explain. I worked for IBM providing DSS lead tech support for a local pharmaceutical and insurance company. But to just say DSS support isnít very accurate. It really encompassed most duties related to managing and supporting an entire IT department and everything that comes with it.

Deberg_1990
10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Truthfully, itís hard to explain. I worked for IBM providing DSS lead tech support for a local pharmaceutical and insurance company. But to just say DSS support isnít very accurate. It really encompassed most duties related to managing and supporting an entire IT department and everything that comes with it.

Wow....you sound a little like this guy:

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Wow....you sound a little like this guy:

:shrug: I don't get it.

Deberg_1990
10-29-2004, 09:27 PM
:shrug: I don't get it.

Never seen the movie Office Space??

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Never seen the movie Office Space??

ROFL Ok, remember I'm enjoying the 25 year old scotch.... little slow on the up take.

Bob Dole
10-29-2004, 09:45 PM
To all you heartless big corporate bean counters and azz kissing middle managers. I hope you get trampled by a stampede of rabid hamsters, and your genitals infested by a swarm of demented Turkish crabs.

How about apathetic, paper shuffling, government employed bureaucrats? Does Bob Dole need to watch his back, too?

NaptownChief
10-29-2004, 10:03 PM
How about apathetic, paper shuffling, government employed bureaucrats? Does Bob Dole need to watch his back, too?

If JFK were by slim chance to win on Tuesday I would say we all need to watch our backs....and wallets.

Ari Chi3fs
10-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Go Postal!! GO POSTAL!!! DO IT DO IT!!!

R&GHomer
10-29-2004, 10:14 PM

Sounds like the same insidious lot to me.

The sick thing is; Iíve always likened working for big blue to a large government. You're nothing more than a number to be washed aside when ever some peanut head decides it might save money, or at the very least, give the appearance of saving money.

Skip Towne
10-29-2004, 10:17 PM
If JFK were by slim chance to win on Tuesday I would say we all need to watch our backs....and wallets.
No screaming shit!

Bob Dole
10-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Sounds like the same insidious lot to me.

The sick thing is; Iíve always likened working for big blue to a large government. You're nothing more than a number to be washed aside when ever some peanut head decides it might save money, or at the very least, give the appearance of saving money.

Actually, working for the government typically means that common sense is abandoned and the peanut heads are ignored.

Case in point: Texas added a significant number of staff to address the Y2K "issue" that never materialized. After nothing happened and there were no issues with which to deal, instead of scaling back to the previous levels, they created a new agency.

So now all functional state agencies get to deal with an additional level of crap that does nothing but dream up reporting requirements that must be met, then analyze useless data to generate even more useless aggregate data.

For example, let's require that each state agency report the brand, memory, hard disk capacity and processor speed for every production server.

Now that Senator Phuqtard's staff knows that 47% of state angencies use Dell servers and 24% of those have less than 1 gig of memory, we can move forward to... Well, something.

Phobia
10-30-2004, 12:57 AM
My wife is making me move furniture around the living room at 1:00 AM and I've not been drinking. A customer robbed me of $12,000 this week. My computer shit itself last weekend.

Wanna trade places?

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2004, 01:01 AM
A customer robbed me of $12,000 this week.

Damn. 12 Gs of actual cash or some work you did?

Phobia
10-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Damn. 12 Gs of actual cash or some work you did?

She decided that she didn't like a couple of minor things we did and fired us (even though I could fix those things in about half a day). Project was 99% complete and about $8k overbudget due to changes the homeowner kept making. She feels like she doesn't owe us anything - I guess. I don't know WTF she's thinking actually. She won't return my email/voicemail. I guess I'll be seeing her in court and giving a large portion to a scumsucking lawyer.

I never saw it coming. Completely blindsided.

Brando
10-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Dude..that sucks! I think that you should post her name and phone number so that we can all call her and tell her that we're calling about the gang bang ad in The Pitch?

cheeeefs
10-30-2004, 01:50 AM
isn't everyone supposed to pitch in and drown your own sorrows instead of just drowning in R&G's? I mean group misery is where the therapy is IMO. Just not to be callous I'll add in real quick that even though I don't know you, and it means absolutely nothing coming from me. I'm sure you'll be orrite.

now for the official drowning my sorrows thread input.

umm, It's nothing as paramount as losing my job but I feel it's close.

I moved to Toronto to go to university because my girlfriend lives here (from Florida) We've been dating two years, had all these great aspirations... I put myself in a less then ideal financial situation for this person, and I had to go and dump her yesterday. Now I'm stuck in Toronto paying 13 grand in tuition for classes that probably won't even transfer back to the states when I could be going to college absolutely free in the states due to being in the military. In all honestly we'll get back together I think, but I had to show her that I'm not here to get jerked around with stupid shit like what's been happening... but still, rough week.

I don't have anything but this bottle of vodka left over from a party, and I can't get really trashed, but :cheers: mate

Brando
10-30-2004, 01:53 AM
Immediately go to the Labatt Blue factory and drink from the tap!!

Oxford
10-30-2004, 10:16 AM

You betcha Bob. By the way, give me directions to your office

R&GHomer
10-30-2004, 10:45 AM
isn't everyone supposed to pitch in and drown your own sorrows instead of just drowning in R&G's? I mean group misery is where the therapy is IMO. Just not to be callous I'll add in real quick that even though I don't know you, and it means absolutely nothing coming from me. I'm sure you'll be orrite.

now for the official drowning my sorrows thread input.

umm, It's nothing as paramount as losing my job but I feel it's close.

I moved to Toronto to go to university because my girlfriend lives here (from Florida) We've been dating two years, had all these great aspirations... I put myself in a less then ideal financial situation for this person, and I had to go and dump her yesterday. Now I'm stuck in Toronto paying 13 grand in tuition for classes that probably won't even transfer back to the states when I could be going to college absolutely free in the states due to being in the military. In all honestly we'll get back together I think, but I had to show her that I'm not here to get jerked around with stupid shit like what's been happening... but still, rough week.

I don't have anything but this bottle of vodka left over from a party, and I can't get really trashed, but :cheers: mate

:deevee: That's the spirit I was looking for. Misery loves company.

I still have half a bottle left for today. Time to get started ROFL Well, I should probably go get my hair cut, but then it's ON!

R&GHomer
10-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Immediately go to the Labatt Blue factory and drink from the tap!!

They won't let me back in. Something about I drink too much.

R&GHomer
10-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Actually, working for the government typically means that common sense is abandoned and the peanut heads are ignored.

Case in point: Texas added a significant number of staff to address the Y2K "issue" that never materialized. After nothing happened and there were no issues with which to deal, instead of scaling back to the previous levels, they created a new agency.

So now all functional state agencies get to deal with an additional level of crap that does nothing but dream up reporting requirements that must be met, then analyze useless data to generate even more useless aggregate data.

For example, let's require that each state agency report the brand, memory, hard disk capacity and processor speed for every production server.

Now that Senator Phuqtard's staff knows that 47% of state angencies use Dell servers and 24% of those have less than 1 gig of memory, we can move forward to... Well, something.

Typicall Government BS. But hey, are tax dollars are hard at work.

Bowser
10-30-2004, 10:52 AM
She decided that she didn't like a couple of minor things we did and fired us (even though I could fix those things in about half a day). Project was 99% complete and about $8k overbudget due to changes the homeowner kept making. She feels like she doesn't owe us anything - I guess. I don't know WTF she's thinking actually. She won't return my email/voicemail. I guess I'll be seeing her in court and giving a large portion to a scumsucking lawyer.

I never saw it coming. Completely blindsided.

That blows, Phil. Sorry to hear about all your trouble!

Bet you'll never take a basement job again, huh? :D