PDA

View Full Version : Virus (I think) E-Mail problem. Need some help fom the gurus.

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 01:16 PM
I just got an e-mail that got kicked back to me because where it was sent wasn't valid. I didn't write it and now that I think of it this has happened before. Something hasn't gotten into my system and is sending crap e-mails...

What do I need to do to take care of this? Thanks for your help folks.

go bowe
10-30-2004, 01:20 PM
what's the e-mail say? :D

go bowe
10-30-2004, 01:21 PM
i'm no expert, but have you run spybot, adaware or other similar spyware programs yet?

and have you done an antivirus scan yet?

Saulbadguy
10-30-2004, 01:22 PM
I doubt it is something local on your computer, but rather someone spoofing your address to spam/virus people. What email service are you using, and what does the email say?

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 01:23 PM
what's the e-mail say? :D
Well it is an electronic message to my new friend thetoddster@freaknbitches.com ROFL

Hello,
What version of windows you are using?
This last document I received from you came out weird.
Please see the attached word file and resend the file to me.
Many thanks,
User

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 01:24 PM
I doubt it is something local on your computer, but rather someone spoofing your address to spam/virus people. What email service are you using, and what does the email say?
It is my main account through ZachIsHere.com which is hoested by Wbws. Just a POP3 account.

Saulbadguy
10-30-2004, 01:28 PM
It is my main account through ZachIsHere.com which is hoested by Wbws. Just a POP3 account.
I'd say its probably just spam.

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 01:29 PM
I'd say its probably just spam.
But shouldnt I be concerned if something is able to send emails from my account. Isnt there something wrong?

Saulbadguy
10-30-2004, 01:30 PM
But shouldnt I be concerned if something is able to send emails from my account. Isnt there something wrong?
Its not actually sending emails from your account. Its "spoofing" the address. I wouldn't be too concerned..

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Its not actually sending emails from your account. Its "spoofing" the address. I wouldn't be too concerned..
gotcha...ok thanks man

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Aside from this spoofing thing. I have been using Outlook Express but I want to change it up. I just don't trust it that much. Any reccomendations? I really don't like web based interfaces and would like an actual program....

Saulbadguy
10-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Aside from this spoofing thing. I have been using Outlook Express but I want to change it up. I just don't trust it that much. Any reccomendations? I really don't like web based interfaces and would like an actual program....
Thunderbird, from the makers of firefox. http://www.mozilla.org

No comparison.

Phobia
10-30-2004, 02:07 PM
I get this all the time. I wouldn't sweat it.

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 02:29 PM
I get this all the time. I wouldn't sweat it.
I think the thing that sucks the most is that I will not be able to get to know thetoddster@freaknbitches.com

Sounds like my loss.