PDA

View Full Version : Scotch Recommendations Sought

Boozer
10-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, I've accepted a summer job with a great firm down in Phoenix. To celebrate, I'd like to treat myself to a fantastic single malt. So far, I've yet to encounter one I didn't like, with my most recent two bottles being Glenlivet 12 and Laphroaig 10. I know Frazod is going to pimp the MacCallan 18, any other suggestions?

|Zach|
10-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Congratulations buddy.

Phobia
10-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Congrats.

Anything with "Glen" in the name is likely to be pretty good. You gotta pay $30+ for a decent bottle of Scotch, IMO.

Boozer
10-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks. The nice thing about this job is that it'll pay me way more than I deserve. So, to treat myself, I'm not afraid to spend a little on some hooch. However, the shitty thing about this job is that it doesn't start paying me until this summer, so let's try and keep it below the super-premium scotches (i.e., no Macallan 25).

el borracho
10-30-2004, 02:11 PM
If you want something REALLY peaty try "Ardbeg"
If you want something a bit tamer try "Bowmore"

I also remember liking "Lagavulin" although it's been years since I had it so I can't remember which direction it leans.

Saulbadguy
10-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Chivas.

heh.

Boozer
10-30-2004, 02:13 PM
If you want something REALLY peaty try "Ardbeg"
If you want something a bit tamer try "Bowmore"

I also remember liking "Lagavulin" although it's been years since I had it so I can't remember which direction it leans.

Funny thing, I had a glass of Lagavullin (sp?) at the dinner following the interview for the job I'm taking...It's fairly peaty, but I honestly don't remember much else.

Boozer
10-30-2004, 02:15 PM
let's try and keep it below the super-premium scotches (i.e., no Macallan 25).

Or Macallan 50... (http://www.themacallan.com/range/50yo.html)

Boozer
10-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Too much patting me on the back for actually getting a job, not enough recommending....

BigRedChief
10-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Congrats. Since you are out in Arizona and ENDElt260 is the resident expert in drinking I think he would be a good resource.

Frazod
10-30-2004, 04:44 PM
If you feel like spending around $40, get 12-year-old Macallan.

If you feel like spending around $90, get 18-year-old Macallan.

Frazod
10-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Chivas.

heh.

Heathen. :harumph:

Sydd
10-30-2004, 04:48 PM
My personal favorite - Glenmorangie

http://www.glenmorangie.com/default_flash.asp

Frazod
10-30-2004, 04:50 PM
My personal favorite - Glenmorangie

http://www.glenmorangie.com/default_flash.asp

Glenmorangie's good. I have some in my liquor cabinet. I serve it to guests so they won't drink my Macallan. :D

FloridaChief
10-30-2004, 04:51 PM
If you feel like spending around $40, get 12-year-old Macallan.

If you feel like spending around $90, get 18-year-old Macallan.

Or split the difference: 18-year old Glenlivet for around $55...

Otter
10-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Don't forget to buy yourself a good cigar to go with that scotch.

Hell, while you're at it get one of those $400 dollar an hour "oh my god I died and went to heaven" call girls to give you a blow job while your smoking a Havana and drinking your scotch.

Damn, I might just pick up a bottle of scotch and stay in tonight.

Bwana
10-30-2004, 05:00 PM
I have an 18 year old bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold that has been sitting around in the box for 3 years. Is that worth a damn?

the Talking Can
10-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Well, I've accepted a summer job with a great firm down in Phoenix. To celebrate, I'd like to treat myself to a fantastic single malt. So far, I've yet to encounter one I didn't like, with my most recent two bottles being Glenlivet 12 and Laphroaig 10. I know Frazod is going to pimp the MacCallan 18, any other suggestions?

heres a list from some site called "RateiItAll"...I know nothing of Scotch

ITEM NAME
(Click on item to see comments & links)
1. Balvenie Doublewood (12 year) (5.00)
2. Bruichladdich (10 year) (5.00)
3. Lagavulin Scotch (16 year) (5.00)
4. Bunnahabhain (12 year) (5.00)
5. Caol Ila (18 year) (5.00)
6. Macallan (18 year) (4.89)
7. Haig Dimple (4.80)
8. Highland Park (12 year) (4.80)
9. Ardbeg (10 year) (4.67)
10. Laphraoig (10 year) (4.58)
11. Macallan (12 year) (4.40)
12. Bowmore (4.33)
13. Oban (4.33)
14. Glenlivet (4.20)
15. Johnnie Walker Black (4.19)
16. Talisker (10 year) (4.00)
17. Glen Deveron (4.00)
18. Aberlour (10 year) (4.00)
19. Aberlour Sherry Finish (15 year) (4.00)
20. Burberry's (4.00)

Bwana
10-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Don't forget to buy yourself a good cigar to go with that scotch.

Hell, while you're at it get one of those $400 dollar an hour "oh my god I died and went to heaven" call girls to give you a blow job while your smoking a Havana and drinking your scotch.

Damn, I might just pick up a bottle of scotch and stay in tonight.

ROFL That sounds like the complete package.

Bwana
10-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Mix it up with a little ice and pepsi and it shouldn't be too bad!

Baaaa, bullchit. :shake: If it isn't worth a crap, I can always use it as mouth wash. :)

Otter
10-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Baaaa, bullchit. :shake: If it isn't worth a crap, I can always use it as mouth wash. :)

I had to delete it, I couldn't say that about good scotch. I was just being a smart ass.

:(

Bwana
10-30-2004, 05:10 PM
I had to delete it, I couldn't say that about good scotch. I was just being a smart ass.

:(

I don't know that much about it, so if it's good, I'll drink it, if not, I'll give it to cousin Tony for Christmas. :evil:

Otter
10-30-2004, 05:44 PM
I don't know that much about it, so if it's good, I'll drink it, if not, I'll give it to cousin Tony for Christmas. :evil:

Classic! ROFL

redbrian
10-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Pulled out my Fall issue of Market Watch (trade journal of Market Intelligence on wine spirits and beer), and they are talking up,
Two new Single Malts;

Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Finished Single Malt
from Brown-Foreman
Aged in both used Bourbon and used Burgundy casks, and has flavors of summer berries.
43 percent abv and retails for $55 a 750 ml bottle

The Peat Monster
from Compass Box Whiskies LTD
A vatted malt whiskey with 46 percent abv with smokey peat flavors, retails for $50 a 750 ml bottle.

BigOlChiefsfan
10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Bwana, that JW Gold is excellent blended Scotch. I certainly like it, your cousin Tony could do worse.

Michael Michigan
10-30-2004, 07:00 PM
A summer job in Phoenix?

Bwana
10-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Bwana, that JW Gold is excellent blended Scotch. I certainly like it, your cousin Tony could do worse.

Thanks BOCF. :thumb: Looks like I will be enjoying it and cousin Tony will be getting a card. :) I have talked to others who claim it is good scotch, as it should be for what it cost. I still wanted to hear it from someone else though.

Boozer
10-30-2004, 07:23 PM
A summer job in Phoenix?

Yeah. I hear the weather is great that time of year.

Boozer
10-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Pulled out my Fall issue of Market Watch (trade journal of Market Intelligence on wine spirits and beer), and they are talking up,
Two new Single Malts;

Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Finished Single Malt
from Brown-Foreman
Aged in both used Bourbon and used Burgundy casks, and has flavors of summer berries.
43 percent abv and retails for $55 a 750 ml bottle

The Peat Monster
from Compass Box Whiskies LTD
A vatted malt whiskey with 46 percent abv with smokey peat flavors, retails for $50 a 750 ml bottle.

Hmmm...a little nontraditional, but interesting.

Bowser
10-30-2004, 07:37 PM
I am so uncultured. My knowledge of scotch stops at Bud Light. :shake:

BigOlChiefsfan
10-30-2004, 08:58 PM
One more tip re: Scotch. If y'all ever buy a bottle of Scotch that you don't really like...buy a bottle of Drambuie as well & use the two to make Rusty Nails. Mighty tasty cocktail, Humphrey Bogart's favorite, or so they say. This makes a double serving (or one man-sized end-of-day drink).

2 jiggers of Scotch + a jigger of Drambuie (add a twist of lemon peel if ya got it). Traditional post-birdhunt drink around here.

chief52
10-30-2004, 10:24 PM
One more tip re: Scotch. If y'all ever buy a bottle of Scotch that you don't really like...buy a bottle of Drambuie as well & use the two to make Rusty Nails. Mighty tasty cocktail, Humphrey Bogart's favorite, or so they say. This makes a double serving (or one man-sized end-of-day drink).

2 jiggers of Scotch + a jigger of Drambuie (add a twist of lemon peel if ya got it). Traditional post-birdhunt drink around here.

I never knew what a Rusty Nail was, although I can remember my dad having them rarely. A kid never forgets a drink name like that. Sounds like a hell of a night cap.

Boozer
10-30-2004, 10:34 PM

I'll have to give that a try sometime. My dad is a big Rusty Nail fan, and an even bigger Drambuie-straight fan. I like Drambuie straight-up as an after-dinner liqueur, but I'm not sure I've ever had a Rusty Nail.

Phobia
10-30-2004, 11:32 PM

Kick ass. I've had more than one bottle of Scotch I've given away because I didn't like it. Plus, I like Drambuie. Don't recall drinking a Rusty Nail, though.

BigOl - I'm serious, if I ever get the gay, I'm looking you up. You'd make a damn fine wife.

BigOlChiefsfan
10-31-2004, 06:45 AM
Kick ass. I've had more than one bottle of Scotch I've given away because I didn't like it. Plus, I like Drambuie. Don't recall drinking a Rusty Nail, though.

BigOl - I'm serious, if I ever get the gay, I'm looking you up. You'd make a damn fine wife.

Phil, I hate to ruin a mans fantasy life (NTTAWWT) but don't get the gay (NTTAWWT). Stay with Pink and consider me your wise old (heterosexual, well armed) bartender from now on. Good barkeeps are full of useful advice, recipes, mafia contacts. etc...sometimes almost as important as wives. A whole lot cheaper to keep happy, too.

Meanwhile y'all try making a couple of Rusty Nails. Damned fine cocktail.

Cormac
10-31-2004, 07:20 AM
Without reading the replies.....if you like Laphroaig, you'll like Talisker. Both are favourites of mine. Can't say I'm a fan of Glenlivet though.

Phobia
10-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Phil, I hate to ruin a mans fantasy life (NTTAWWT) but don't get the gay (NTTAWWT).

Yeah - this little crush is starting to scare me, too. I gotta get it under control. Jeesh.