PDA

View Full Version : Rumor of Colts Rush Defense

ChiefGator
10-30-2004, 08:05 PM
Colts' rush defense is very skewed due to blowout games. There were some games where the opponent threw the ball four times more than passing in the second half. I took a look back at their games and just looked at the average per rush. In some cases I have included the teams starting RB, if his numbers were vastly different than the overall team.

9/9 - Loss to NE - 4.8 team avg ( Dillon = 5.7 ypc )

9/19 - Win over Titans - 5.1 team avg ( Brown = 5.8 )

9/26 - Win over Pack - 3.9 team avg

10/3 - Win over Jags - 3.1 team avg ( either good D this day, or Taylor ran badly )

10/10 - Win over Raiders - 4.1 team avg ( no Wheatley )

10/17 - BYE

10/24 - Loss to Jags - 4.7 team avg

I'm sure Al will look at these numbers and realize this is a weak defense, which we CAN run over easily. They don't deserve to be ranked high on rush defense.

HolmeZz
10-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Who's been bragging about their run D?

tk13
10-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Well I think that was kind of the Chiefs plan... that's how the 99 Rams defense ended up being really good. Their offense got leads and the opponents had to put it in the air and the Rams knew it.... and had a pretty successful season defensively, especially in run defense.

That said, I haven't looked at any injury updates today, but both of Indy's starting corners, Nick Harper and Joseph Jefferson, may not be able to play on Sunday. If not, Indy will be starting two rookie corners (or at best the normal starting CB's at less than 100%)... they are going to be very vulnerable all over the field.

FringeNC
10-30-2004, 08:17 PM
D overall gives up 390 yards a game. It's very Greg Robinson-esque.

Skip Towne
10-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I like the sound of this but I'd rather just line up and run over them. Slow, painful death.

alanm
10-30-2004, 08:59 PM
I like the sound of this but I'd rather just line up and run over them. Slow, painful death.I'm with you on this Skip. The Chiefs need to come out and ram the ball down their throats with a smattering of playaction thrown in for good measure. Eat up the clock and hope the same defense that was on the field last week shows up again this week.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm with you on this Skip. The Chiefs need to come out and ram the ball down their throats with a smattering of playaction thrown in for good measure. Eat up the clock and hope the same defense that was on the field last week shows up again this week.

We just need to be balanced. People look at 270 yards rushing last week but we threw the ball for 269 yards as well.

4th and Long
10-30-2004, 09:11 PM
We just need to be balanced. People look at 270 yards rushing last week but we threw the ball for 269 yards as well.
Uhhh ... when you can run the ball at will and set an NFL record for rushing TDs, one would naturally come to the conclusion that things like this can open up a passing attack.

DUH!

Thanks for the insight tho, Mr Green.

- 4th
Heard Trent say this same thing almost verbatim earlier in the week.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Uhhh ... when you can run the ball at will and set an NFL record for rushing TDs, one would naturally come to the conclusion that things like this can open up a passing attack.

DUH!

Thanks for the insight tho, Mr Green.

- 4th
Heard Trent say this same thing almost verbatim earlier in the week.

I am just saying there is no need to run the ball every play and be ultra-conservative.

Alphaman
10-30-2004, 09:14 PM

DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!DING!

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Balance is the key. If we line up and just try to ram it down their throats. We are more sucseptible to a holding call killing our drive. If we are balanced, a holding call will hurt, but they won't know whether we are going to run or pass to get the 20 yards. A balanced offense also gives Holmes a better chance for success on draw plays (where he gets large chunks of yards). Balance also helps Green out. Play action and screens are viable with a balanced approach.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-30-2004, 09:40 PM
I wanna beat the Colts by 80. Kill them.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2004, 09:54 PM
I wanna beat the Colts by 80. Kill them.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Unfortunately it's supposed to be 67 degrees tomorrow.

4th and Long
10-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Thank you again, Khan Noonien Singh.

- 4th
Watched way too many Star Trek movies.