PDA

View Full Version : Major Applewhite

AustinChief
09-10-2000, 05:51 PM
Now don't misunderstand me...I am a HUGE fan of Grbac (funny but true)... but we NEED a decent YOUNG QB in our system. NO MORE LONGSHOTS! Ted White was never better than a longshot... at best. I say we pick up Major in next years draft...he is only a Jr. but he can't be happy splitting time with Chris Simms...

OK..fire away...but I'm serious.

--AustinChief<BR>

Fat Homer
09-10-2000, 05:55 PM
ROFLMAO!!! You're serious?! Oh, sorry http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

IMHO, Major isn't NFL material. Granted, I do not watch every game he plays, but I've seen enough to form that opinion. He's another one of those "don't screw it up" QBs... as opposed to a "playmaker".

AustinChief
09-10-2000, 06:03 PM
HC,

I'll excuse those comments BECAUSE you haven't seen him play enough. He is a solid QB and has GREAT intangibles. Last week,
he was 18 of 26 for 315 yards and 4 TDs. This was in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.. he played little of the 1st and 4th quarters.

He has a strong enough arm and AMAZING accuracy... and good mobility.

I'm not sure what else we could want.

--AustinChief

btw- He WAS the Big 12 offensive Player of the Year last year!

Fat Homer
09-10-2000, 06:09 PM
LOL -- well, you should also know that I'm a tad bit slanted against the Big12 South - especially Texas.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk baby! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif (yeah, yeah... SMU kicked our butts... still my team!)

AustinChief
09-10-2000, 06:12 PM
HC,

I shouldn't admit this... but I wear my KU hat when they play Texas in basketball.

--Kyle
'still a KC native..at heart'

htismaqe
09-10-2000, 06:13 PM
We should have drafted Tim Rattay this past draft and the "future" problem would have been solved.

Fat Homer
09-10-2000, 06:14 PM
Well, you're half OK then! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Should be interesting this year - Luke's finally ready!

Senator Dole - I concur!!

[This message has been edited by HC_Chief (edited 09-10-2000).]

Alphaman
09-11-2000, 09:40 AM
HC_Chief,

You're right...Applewhite doesn't screw up and throw multiple interceptions. However, I don't see how you can say he isn't a "playmaker". One of the only times he looked like a mortal quarterback was last years game against A&M, and that's because his mom can't cook Turkey (food poisoning from Thanksgiving dinner). He was Big12 offensive player of the year last year, and I don't think you get that status by playing it safe.

I think AustinChief is right in saying that KC would benefit by having such a "heads-up" QB. The only problem is that if Applewhite played for KC, I would have to become a KC fan.

Damn that would hurt!

shakesthecat
09-11-2000, 10:21 AM
Austin - What are his stats as far as size. It seems to me he is on the smallish size, and although he is a winner, the NFL and college are two different things. I remember about 10 or 12 years ago, the Cowboy took a kid named Sweeney from Fresno State, who was like 5 11. He had thrown for miles of yards there, but when they put him in, he just about got killed, and had a ton on interceptions, and knock downs. If I were CP, I would call our scouting department together before the Arena League starts, and tell them to personally witness every damn game. Of course, this is after the coaching purge in January.

redbrian
09-11-2000, 10:25 AM
I think Applewhite is a Danny Wuerffel (sp) type QB. He would be the total package except for that lame arm of his. He needs to seriously hit the weights and add arm strength. Until then he will be Grbac Jr. in the NFL.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

Mark M [BornChiefs]
09-11-2000, 10:34 AM
Isn't he coming off of an ACL injury in the bowl game last year?

I don't think I would want to start on a QBOF with a lame leg.

He does at least have an NFL QB name.

redbrian
09-11-2000, 10:50 AM
I don't know if I'd want a QB with a FRUIT in his last name! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Alphaman
09-11-2000, 11:38 AM
Keep in mind that Applewhite is only a junior. Yeah, he's coming off ACL repair, but he could be missing his leg entirely and surpass Grbac's stats.

Even with his "lame" arm he managed to pass for over 300 yards in 2 quarters of play last week.

Phobia
09-11-2000, 01:14 PM
How about K-State's Jonathen Beasley or Indiana's Antoin Randle-El? They're both mobile & strong armed. Heck, Beasley has one of the strongest arms I've ever seen.

Phobia
09-11-2000, 01:15 PM
I like Georgia's Quincy Carter as well.

redbrian
09-11-2000, 01:25 PM
Quincy Carter is a playmaker, but IMO Beasley is pretty awful. He's got good arm strength, but his accuracy is lacking. He's lucky to have Morgan and Lockett running under those lobs.

I don't know much about Randle-El, but everytime I catch a highlight of him, he's always making an amazing play...despite yet another loss by Indiana.

------------------

AustinChief
09-11-2000, 02:50 PM
kcred,

Applewhite is 6'1" and 200 pounds..not huge but big enough. He doesn't have a weak arm at all...but in comparison to Simms he isn't Texas' strongest QB. He is almost completely recovered from his ACL injury and it shouldn't be a factor since he rarely is forced to scramble.

--AustinChief

The Blessed Virgin Larry
09-11-2000, 05:41 PM
Austin Chief,
I totally agree that the Chiefs should draft The Major! All this kid does is WIN! He's much better than Simms and will replace him as the Horns starter. Applewhite doesn't have the major arm, but he can scramble, can throw ANY pass in the pocket or on the run, is very smart and above all, the Major is a LEADER! Like I said, all this kid does is win. Does he remind you of some lanky guy named Joe that once did the same thing for Notre Dame?

The Blessed Virgin Larry
09-11-2000, 05:46 PM
BTW,
There seems to be a common misconception here - The Major does NOT have a weak arm. It's just not a cannon. He can make every throw in the book and make them good. When he has to, he's got more than enough arm strength to air it out or throw the heat.

Alphaman
09-11-2000, 07:29 PM
AustinChief,

When you say that Applewhite isn't the stronger QB, you are strictly talking about phisically, right? Simms supposedly gained 20 lbs of muscle in the off season, but he definately is a lanky lad. He is a little bit taller than Applewhite and I'm not sure what Simms weight is, but I'm not sure he is physically stronger. I think anyone would agree that Applewhite is the stronger (not physically) overall QB. The only reason Simms started in game 1 was because Texas was expecting a blowout and wanted to give Simms some play-time.

I wonder why in the hell didn't they redshirt Simms last year. Then Simms would have 2 good seasons as a definate starter. I guess maybe they had to make some play time promises to get him to sign. He's only a sophomore, but frankly I'm not too impressed.

[This message has been edited by Dog Day (edited 09-11-2000).]