PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't Voting Day A National Holiday?

Amnorix
11-02-2004, 11:43 AM
As I hear more and more about trouble in polling places, provisional ballots and what might happen after work when the crowds really hit, I wonder why we don't declare Voting Day a national holiday. Although maybe it should be once every 2 years for the House/Senate votes, I'd be okay with it being only for the Presidential election.

It would mean:

1. more people could volunteer to work as poll workers, and we wouldn't have a bunch of (sorry to say it) incredibly old geezers running polling places; and

2. less lines, less confusion and less stress.

I realize the business of America IS business, as Coolidge once said, but honestly -- we hold elections in the middle of the workweek and don't give anyone time off. Silly. Does anyone disagree?

BigMeatballDave
11-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey, as long as its paid time off, I'm all for it.

dirk digler
11-02-2004, 11:50 AM
As I hear more and more about trouble in polling places, provisional ballots and what might happen after work when the crowds really hit, I wonder why we don't declare Voting Day a national holiday. Although maybe it should be once every 2 years for the House/Senate votes, I'd be okay with it being only for the Presidential election.

It would mean:

1. more people could volunteer to work as poll workers, and we wouldn't have a bunch of (sorry to say it) incredibly old geezers running polling places; and

I realize the business of America IS business, as Coolidge once said, but honestly -- we hold elections in the middle of the workweek and don't give anyone time off. Silly. Does anyone disagree?

I agree totally and maybe that is why some states have an early voting period so you don't have to fight the crowds on Election day. I think they should make it either a National Holiday or do it on weekend from Friday through Sunday.

Amnorix
11-02-2004, 11:52 AM
I agree totally and maybe that is why some states have an early voting period so you don't have to fight the crowds on Election day. I think they should make it either a National Holiday or do it on weekend from Friday through Sunday.

I'm fine with (c) all of the above.

Early voting by mail ballot for 2 weeks or something (pick up at Town Hall and mail back to the town/city hall taht you live in).

Voting for a weekend plus one workday which is a national holiday.

We treat our elections like an afterthought.

penchief
11-02-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm fine with (c) all of the above.

Early voting by mail ballot for 2 weeks or something (pick up at Town Hall and mail back to the town/city hall taht you live in).

Voting for a weekend plus one workday which is a national holiday.

We treat our elections like an afterthought.

Excellent question.

We have all kinds of patriotic gestures in this country, including the 4th of July holiday. What is more patriotic than the democratic tradition of "one man, one vote?"

It almost seems like it makes too much sense. We celebrate being Americans but don't celebrate the one day that allows us to exercise the most sacred of those rights which we cherish as Americans. When one really thinks about it, there exists an irony in that scenario that might make a person wonder.

mlyonsd
11-02-2004, 12:50 PM
It's called capitalism.

Back to work you slackers.

Lightning Rod
11-02-2004, 12:55 PM
one man, one vote?"

You must not live in KC or St. Louis It is more like one man vote all day.

Garcia Bronco
11-02-2004, 01:11 PM
I saw numerous people leave the polls today without voting .. ..usually throwing their hands up in the air about having to get to work.

Lightning Rod
11-02-2004, 01:17 PM
I saw numerous people leave the polls today without voting .. ..usually throwing their hands up in the air about having to get to work.

Yeah, it kinda makes me embarrassed when I see people in foreign countries lined up for days waiting for their chance to vote.

el borracho
11-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Absentee voter ballots are a solution for those who can't take the time away from work. Voting absentee also allows one to research information on local issues as one is voting as you can sit in front of the computer and google away until you decide an issue. Plus you can have margaritas while you vote. :toast:

Garcia Bronco
11-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah, it kinda makes me embarrassed when I see people in foreign countries lined up for days waiting for their chance to vote.

They were all women too.

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:33 PM
I don't really think it takes a day off to do the election. We have functioned for 200+ years fine under the current system.

Plus, it doesn't say anything in the constitution about a holliday. So it would have to be inserted into the constitution to change things.

Amnorix
11-02-2004, 01:34 PM
I don't really think it takes a day off to do the election. We have functioned for 200+ years fine under the current system.

Good point. Forget how fast the population is growing and how much moving around people do these days...

Plus, it doesn't say anything in the constitution about a holliday. So it would have to be inserted into the constitution to change things.

Really? So President's Day is in the Constitution? :spock:

Saulbadguy
11-02-2004, 01:34 PM
There are state laws that will allow you a certain amount of time off after work to go vote, depending on your hours of work.

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Good point. Forget how fast the population is growing and how much moving around people do these days...

Really? So President's Day is in the Constitution? :spock:
No, but the constitution speaks to federal elections and when and how they are to be held. That is all. I am sure that it is open to interpretation though. :)

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2004, 01:39 PM

It would mean:

I'd be okay with this. :)

John_Wayne
11-02-2004, 01:44 PM
I agree with Stupid.

Hydrae
11-02-2004, 02:16 PM
I voted last week here in Texas. I appreciated getting to take care of it more on my schedule. Obviously it also helps take some of the pressure off for today.

As to making it a holiday, it would help some people but far from all. Do you really think Burger King or Wal Mart are going to close up for voting day? Radio and television people also work everyday regardless of any holiday. So although a holiday sounds good, it really does not solve the whole problem.

WilliamTheIrish
11-02-2004, 02:17 PM
I don't think there is a need for a holiday.

Although I'm certain that the Founding fathers had no idea how stupid some Americans would be or how apathetic some would be 240 years later.

There are numerous ways to get your vote cast prior to the actual day. If you can't you're not trying. Especially if it really means something to you.

KCTitus
11-02-2004, 02:20 PM
As to making it a holiday, it would help some people but far from all. Do you really think Burger King or Wal Mart are going to close up for voting day? Radio and television people also work everyday regardless of any holiday.

Well...it does give all the state and local govt employees the opportunity to make sure they vote to keep their jobs safe.

Hydrae
11-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Well...it does give all the state and local govt employees the opportunity to make sure they vote to keep their jobs safe.

Are you trying to say that government workers might work late and not be able to get to the polls? ROFL

KCTitus
11-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Are you trying to say that government workers might work late and not be able to get to the polls? ROFL

Are you kidding me? govt workers are experts at not letting the door hit them in the a$$ on the way out.

Duck Dog
11-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Absentee voter ballots are a solution for those who can't take the time away from work. Voting absentee also allows one to research information on local issues as one is voting as you can sit in front of the computer and google away until you decide an issue. Plus you can have margaritas while you vote. :toast:

On the rocks, no salt. :thumb:

Earthling
11-02-2004, 03:03 PM
I would vote to make it a national holiday and Veterans day as well. I NEVER work on Veterans day as I feel its more important than about any other day of the year..

Hel'n
11-02-2004, 03:05 PM

It would mean:

I'm totally for this. We could have parades, celebrations, fireworks...

...and every four-letter cuss word would be mandated speech!

;)

tiptap
11-02-2004, 03:14 PM
I voted last week here in Texas. I appreciated getting to take care of it more on my schedule. Obviously it also helps take some of the pressure off for today.

As to making it a holiday, it would help some people but far from all. Do you really think Burger King or Wal Mart are going to close up for voting day? Radio and television people also work everyday regardless of any holiday. So although a holiday sounds good, it really does not solve the whole problem.

Federal Law only emergency workers until 7:00. For years Blue Laws made it unlawful for commerce on Sundays.