PDA

View Full Version : The Times That the Polls Close By State

RINGLEADER
11-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Thought this might be helpful to those following the returns tonight:

<B>6 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in Indiana and Kentucky.

<B>7 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in Georgia, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and the east side of Florida and New Hampshire, sort of (in New Hampshire, state law permits its 13 cities to keep their polls open until 8 P.M.)

<B>7:30 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in Ohio, West Virginia, and most of North Carolina (like New Hampshire, the Tarheel State allows its County Boards of Elections to decide whether to keep polls open until 8:30 P.M. EST. Outside of metropolitan areas, this local option is not often utilized and so the networks usually call the state around 7:30 P.M., even though the polls are still open.)

<B>8 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, the rest of New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and the west side of Florida.

<B>8:30 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in Arkansas and the rest of North Carolina.

<B>9 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

<B>10 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in North Dakota, Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Iowa.

<B>11 P.M. EST</B>: Polls close in California, Washington, Hawaii, and Oregon.

<B>12 A.M. EST</B>: Polls close in Alaska.

Hope this helps!

KingPriest2
11-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks! :thumb:

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I got it all mapped out By EV and poll closing time to see if it is Par, behind par etc.

Thanks. :)

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2004, 12:36 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many polls stay open late and how late if there are still long lines at closing time.

chiefqueen
11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
So technically that can't project either candidate until after midnight CST, that'll put the loser's speech between 12:30 & 12:45 and the victory speech @ 1:15.

Assuming there's a clear winner of course.

Kerry won't concede b/f AK closes b/c that Senate seat is projected to be a Dem takeover.

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Bump

Taco John
11-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Polls just closed in Indiana and Kentucky...

OldTownChief
11-02-2004, 05:14 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/

Cool map showing declared winner is each state, so far IN,KY, GA all Bush with 35 votes

RINGLEADER
11-02-2004, 05:17 PM
It'll be interesting to see how many polls stay open late and how late if there are still long lines at closing time.

I can guarantee you that sometime this evening the Democrats will find a judge in St. Louis to hold the polls open longer and that it will be appealed 15 minutes later.

Happens every year.

RINGLEADER
11-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the link OTC...BTW, there's another caveat on the calling of states that could allow for some weirdness...all four (or is it five?) of the major networks must be in agreement before a state is called under the new rules. So if CBS wants to keep KY from being called for Bush they alone can make it that way. Same for Fox with any Kerry state (for those that think the partisan leanings of the media would influence such things).

Anyway, I just heard about that and I'm passing it on!

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 05:26 PM
That might explain why they haven't called Indiana and Kentucky yet. They don't want to do ANYTHING that would disturb voting in the swing states where the polls are still open.

RINGLEADER
11-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, Michael Barone on Fox just said that each network can make their own call whenever they want...that's directly opposite of what I was told, but maybe he's right. Dunno.

OldTownChief
11-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Fox had IN, KY, and GA, called for Bush but now the map showes "not called" :shrug: