PDA

View Full Version : Trend to watch

Braincase
11-03-2004, 08:54 AM
OK, this is not me being anything more than an observer...

For the Dems to succeed in 2006 and 2008, they will have to move closer to the center. My perception is that the Republican party is moving further to the right, and that is going to cause moderate Republicans, such as myself, to feel a bit disenfranchised. If the Dems do make that move, look for a shift of influence starting in another 2 years. As the Dems assert more power and influence, and eventually regain a majority, they'll start moving further to the left again, and the Republicans will once again find themselves moving back towards the center to regain what was lost in 2006, 2008 and 2010.

All things move in trends.

SBK
11-03-2004, 08:57 AM
OK, this is not me being anything more than an observer...

For the Dems to succeed in 2006 and 2008, they will have to move closer to the center. My perception is that the Republican party is moving further to the right, and that is going to cause moderate Republicans, such as myself, to feel a bit disenfranchised. If the Dems do make that move, look for a shift of influence starting in another 2 years. As the Dems assert more power and influence, and eventually regain a majority, they'll start moving further to the left again, and the Republicans will once again find themselves moving back towards the center to regain what was lost in 2006, 2008 and 2010.

All things move in trends.

For this to happen the dems have to realize they have left the mainstream. That should've happened a long time ago. So I'll have to disagree.

Baby Lee
11-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Maybe I'm a hopeless idealist, but my sense is that, now that Bush has secured a 2nd term, he will have a strong drive to prove his 'uniter' cred.

Only time will tell if he goes in the direction he did early on, like getting Kennedy on board for the education bill, or as he did later, like throwing simply money at things like senior prescriptions.

Braincase
11-03-2004, 09:50 AM
For this to happen the dems have to realize they have left the mainstream. That should've happened a long time ago. So I'll have to disagree.

If my powers of observation are correct, 48% isn't too far off the mainstream. A 3% shift isn't a difficult one. That said, I agree with Baby Lee, I'd like to see Bush do a little uniting. There are some issues that some of us consider to be conservative issues that aren't being addressed adequately, and Bush needs to do what is best for the party and get on the right track on that front.

Baby Lee
11-03-2004, 09:59 AM
If my powers of observation are correct, 48% isn't too far off the mainstream. A 3% shift isn't a difficult one. That said, I agree with Baby Lee, I'd like to see Bush do a little uniting. There are some issues that some of us consider to be conservative issues that aren't being addressed adequately, and Bush needs to do what is best for the party and get on the right track on that front.
People have been ragging on Bush for being stubborn. But I couldn't see how he could be anything other in the shadow of a close election. Do you really think that if Bush had shown remorse or second thoughts on anything, the opposition would have applauded his ability to reason? F@ck no. They'd have been screaming "we were right, even he admits he's a TOTAL FAILURE!!!!!! Yeeaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!"
Let's see now if he can, freed of the re-election albatross, show conciliation.

KCTitus
11-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Bush got more votes than any other President in history...even more than Reagan. He's also the first President since 1988 to actually receive more than 50% of the vote.

Those are the trends Im watching.