PDA

View Full Version : Kerry concedes the election

alnorth
11-03-2004, 10:15 AM
The AP, NBC, and ABC have just reported that John Kerry has conceded the election to George W. Bush. He called the president this morning, and will give his concession speech to the nation in two hours.

HC_Chief
11-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Good.

alnorth
11-03-2004, 10:23 AM
AP: Kerry Calls Bush to Concede

Sen. John Kerry has called President Bush to concede the 2004 race for the White House, The Associated Press has reported.

News of the phone call came at 11:10 a.m. EDT Wednesday. Earlier in the morning, the Bush campaign declared victory, despite claims by Kerry's campaign that the fight is not yet over in Ohio.

Democrats insisted Kerry was still in contention for Ohio's decisive cache of 20 electoral votes. At issue were the more than 100,000 provisional ballots that still had to be counted.

Republican Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell has released provisional vote numbers for 78 of Ohio's 88 counties, showing a total of 135,149 provisional ballots, according to Blackwell's Web site. It appeared that the difference in the number of votes for the two candidates was greater than the number of outstanding ballots.

Disheartened Kerry aides met to evaluate his options, with concession the talk of the campaign.

Nothing was settled or conceded in the first light of day, but Kerry faced a daunting task trying to deny Bush an electoral majority that was almost within reach. The Democrat's campaign planned a statement by midday, advisers said.

Bush himself planned to declare victory before long. Republican Party Chairman Marc Racicot said the president put it off temporarily as a courtesy to Kerry, "to allow the opportunity to look at the situation in the cold hard light of day."

Before both sides retired for an hour or two of sleep, one top Kerry adviser said the Democrat's chances of winning Ohio, and with it the White House, were difficult at best. Advisers planned one last look for uncounted ballots that might close the gap before meeting with the candidate Wednesday to determine whether he should concede or fight on.

Kerry's team met first thing Wednesday and planned at least one other session before taking their recommendation to the senator, said several officials involved in the deliberations.

One senior Democrat familiar with the discussions said Kerry's running mate, Sen. John Edwards, was suggesting to Kerry that he shouldn't concede.

The official said Edwards, a trial lawyer, wanted to make sure that all options were explored and Democrats pursued them as thoroughly as Republicans would if the positions were reversed.

MOhillbilly
11-03-2004, 10:32 AM
GOOD.
start the round up.:evil:

Warrior5
11-03-2004, 10:36 AM
I wonder who's on the suicide watch list in Hollywood?

Sideburn
11-03-2004, 10:39 AM
I'll give it up to Kerry for this. He should have done it earlier when it was obvious that he lost, but he's doing the right thing. He's actually putting the country ahead of himself...I'm looking at you Al Gore!

BigOlChiefsfan
11-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Senator.

Now, let's all get back to work.

King_Chief_Fan
11-03-2004, 10:42 AM
I give props when they are due no matter who they are.
Kerry - you did the right thing!

Kraut
11-03-2004, 10:43 AM
The AP, NBC, and ABC have just reported that John Kerry has conceded the election to George W. Bush. He called the president this morning, and will give his concession speech to the nation in two hours.
PBJ

siberian khatru
11-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Oooopsie poopsie whoopsie hack cough kee-YAAAACK doh! DEVASTATING

HC_Chief
11-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Looking forward to the new jibjab :D

Bwana
11-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I give props when they are due no matter who they are.
Kerry - you did the right thing!

Indeed, he could have pulled a Gore. This is a standup move for our great country. :thumb:

Cochise
11-03-2004, 10:45 AM
*chamber choir "Hallelujah" chorus*

Baby Lee
11-03-2004, 10:46 AM
D@mnit, just when I bought a overstock railcar of "Commander in Thief" and "resident Bush" bumper stickers.

Couldn't Kerry have at least given me a week to unload some of them?

Warrior5
11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
I'll give it up to Kerry for this. He should have done it earlier when it was obvious that he lost, but he's doing the right thing. He's actually putting the country ahead of himself...I'm looking at you Al Gore!

Agreed...rep for him not being a Gore clone.

Cochise
11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Ooops!

Chief Henry
11-03-2004, 10:57 AM
John Kerry did the right thing. But it didn't take a
rocket scientist to figure out that you can't score a
40 point touch down...

Devin Vierth
11-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Props to Kerry for not dragging this out. I am extremely thankful that he is doing this. He just went up several degrees in my estimation.

It was the humble and gracious thing for him to do.