PDA

View Full Version : IMO, 3 of the reasons that Kerry lost....

Mosbonian
11-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Remember, this is just my opinion.....

1) John Edwards- I don't care how you spin this, but Edwards was a liabilty to the ticket. When he was picked I said he would be a liability based on his history......he was brought in to try and bring in the states in the SE (NC, SC, VA, GA) that had been Republican strongholds...as you can see, there wasn't any doubt at all as to where the SE stood.

2) Kerry's Service Record- While it was brought up to be a positive stroke for Kerry during the Dem Convention, it served to be one of his undoings....it painted a target on him. And many I have spoken with still remember the very silly "John Kerry reporting for duty" quip at the start of his acceptance speech.

3) Teresa Heinz Kerry- While America elects a President, they also elect a 1st Lady....there wasn't a Democrat I spoke with who saw Kerry's wife as a positive stroke for him....people see Laura Bush and see an elegant 1st Lady. When people spoke of Heinz-Kerry all they saw was a cold person...especially after the image of her going after the reporter. Plus she in no way connected with the average American....

These are just 3 of the reasons I see that Kerry was hurt....please feel free to pile on.

mmaddog

David.
11-03-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree

Cochise
11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Too liberal. Everything else branched off of that. He was the wrong choice to begin with because he was so liberal.

Being too liberal means you are out of touch with the average American.
Being too liberal means that you can't campaign as what you are.
Campaigning as something else means that you end up with a plurality of positions on many things.
Changing your mind on issues constantly means voters don't know what you're going to do, who's to say you aren't going to change your mind again?

People will take the guy who seems to have strong beliefs rather than only saying what he believes you want to hear.

In my opinion Kerry came off as rich, stuffy, fake, crooked, and will say anything to get elected and then go off and do what he wants. And I don't believe what he would really do was something most people want.

NewChief
11-03-2004, 01:45 PM
I agree more with Cochise. Maybe it's because I'm in the Bible Belt, but to me it seems to boil down to:

1. Abortion
2. Gay Marriage
3. Foreign Policy/War on Terror

Those aren't necessarily all Kerry-specific issues, but Kerry's inability to turn the first two into positives that appealed to the public was a weakness.

Stinger
11-03-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree more with Cochise. Maybe it's because I'm in the Bible Belt, but to me it seems to boil down to:

1. Abortion
2. Gay Marriage
3. Foreign Policy/War on Terror

Those aren't necessarily all Kerry-specific issues, but Kerry's inability to turn the first two into positives that appealed to the public was a weakness.

I agree with this post I believe you have to put his voting record in there as well.

NewChief
11-03-2004, 01:54 PM
I agree with this post I believe you have to put his voting record in there as well.

Yeah, I should have also said that those were the issues it boiled down to with swing voters. Obviously there are many, many ideological differences that true conservatives would have with Kerry. I think, though, that your average non-partisan/leaning voter was influenced by the above...as well as by the flipflop things as you pointed out. Public's perception was definitely that Kerry was not steadfast, in contrast to Bush.

redbrian
11-03-2004, 01:56 PM
I would agree with your three, the whole Vietnam thing was one big mess that he should never have brought up.
Edwards and the Heinz lady were huge anchors around his neck, only people like mememe and the mentaly hadicaped thought edwards was worth a crap.

If kerry had picked a strong minority vp, and actually ran on something instead of changing with the polls he might have pulled this off.

MadProphetMargin
11-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Naw. I don't think many people gave a shit about reasons 2 & 3.

It was the "moral issues" (Gay marriage). At least according to the exit polls.

redbrian
11-03-2004, 02:03 PM

Are those the same polls that showed Kerry winning?

Exit polls have been proven worthless in the past two elections, the folks who write them are lousy at their jobs, and are incapable of writing a worthwhile poll.

HC_Chief
11-03-2004, 02:16 PM
#3 is interesting.... hell, I actually thought about voting for Kerry just to have that crazy bitch in the limelight for 4 years. Dear lord, the insane stuff that lady spouts is a comedic goldmine!!! FFS, she actually had a "Let them eat cake" quip this year in regards to the hurricanes ("let them run naked") ROFL

MadProphetMargin
11-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Are those the same polls that showed Kerry winning?

:spock:

What exit polls were YOU looking at? CBS?

Mosbonian
11-03-2004, 07:46 PM

MPM:

I'm people and I "gave a shit".......

I didn't give a rat's ass about Kerry's war record until he and his camp decided to make it a lynchpin in the campaign.....then the fake salute at the acceptance speech....and just to add to your pain, there were a lot of people who thought that was a big mistake on Kerry's part.

Also, the more I saw of Teresa Heinz Kerry, the more I was scared "Marie Antoinette" would be inhabiting the White House....

mmaddog

mcan
11-03-2004, 07:58 PM
:spock:

What exit polls were YOU looking at? CBS?

Even Fox News was reporting an hour before the polls closed that the exit polls had Kerry up in nearly every region by a couple of points... Then the real #s started coming in and everybody stood slack jawed...

KCWolfman
11-03-2004, 08:03 PM
I honestly thought it was the attitude of him, his wife, and his supporters, not just on this board, but conducive of the majority of them. The idea that someone is "stupid" simply because they support a candidate doesn't work in an open society. The attempts at mental bullying and belligerence backfired horribly.

OldTownChief
11-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Even Fox News was reporting an hour before the polls closed that the exit polls had Kerry up in nearly every region by a couple of points... Then the real #s started coming in and everybody stood slack jawed...

Your right, it was all the exit polls in all the swing states.

Inspector
11-03-2004, 10:27 PM
My wife - who doesn't really get into politics - saw and heard John Edwards last night and asked if he was picked up off the special olympics squad.

Really cracked me up. And actually he did sorta come off like that last night. Probably was just tired.

OldTownChief
11-03-2004, 11:26 PM
My wife - who doesn't really get into politics - saw and heard John Edwards last night and asked if he was picked up off the special olympics squad.

Really cracked me up. And actually he did sorta come off like that last night. Probably was just tired.

He did, It looked like he didn't have any of his makeup on and his hair was messed up a lot. I took it as he was just damm pissed that Kerry made him go out there right before he filed for unemployment.