PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts....

|Zach|
11-03-2004, 03:16 PM
I had computer\internet problems for a few days and have not been able to view or post in a few days. I wish I could have seen more of the voard at the time but I thought I would lay some thoughts down between a few of my classes here at school.

Anyone who has read some of my posts knows I am pretty middle of the raod but lean to the left. Of course if you are partisan and have no sense of persepctive or context then you have called me a liberal before.

I don't blame the exit polls as much for the false sense of confidence from the Kerry supporters as much as I blame people the spread the word like it was the gospel. There was nothing wrong with those exit polls. They were within the margin of error. People took them and ran with them to much.

I didn't vote for Bush but I will support him because he is my President. I hope that this works out for the best for our country but I am not convinced yet. With Bush in office I have some questions. Why should I feel that the situation in Iraq will be any better than what the CIA projected which was basically "more of the same at best" Should I be worried about the line between church and state being blurred? How worried should I be as someone who is pro choice? Will the economy pick up now that it hasn't been inherited? If what the right has been saying is correct then we should see a turn around. Right? Does the fact that the congress is Republican lead the way for more conservtivie minded judges?I am not convinced that Bush is the best but like I said I will support him and I hope everything works out for the best for our country.

Even though it was a bvad loss I have never been a Daschle fan and it will be interesting to see who fills that leadership position. I thought Kerry held a lot of class in his concession speech and I am glad the process worked the way it should. I believe everything was dealt with very well by both sides. Reading this board is interesting. Alot of things flying around. I have enjoyed learning alot from folks on the other side of the coin than I am...KCW, Cochice, Ringleader etc...Alot of smart folks on this board that I disagree with on alot of things but had some good discussions with. I with the respectable conservitives on this board did more to speak out against the classes right on the board. CMH, GF...it just seems like more people would go out of thier way to speak out against dipshits representing thier party. Hopefully thier can be more bipartisanship with Daschle out has Dem leader. I would like to see someone in thier more willing to work with the other side. It will be interesting to see how things pan out...

Mr. Kotter
11-03-2004, 03:45 PM

Why should I feel that the situation in Iraq will be any better than what the CIA projected which was basically "more of the same at best" Should I be worried about the line between church and state being blurred? How worried should I be as someone who is pro choice? Will the economy pick up now that it hasn't been inherited? If what the right has been saying is correct then we should see a turn around. Right? Does the fact that the congress is Republican lead the way for more conservtivie minded judges?I am not convinced that Bush is the best but like I said I will support him and I hope everything works out for the best for our country.

JBauer@mail.sparta.k12.mo.us

Iraq: will get worse before it gets better; they are going to crack some heads now that the election is over....and once Iraqis are "trained" for their own security, and they have their own elections, AND we begin to withdraw our troops.....things there will improve. And Iraq & Afghanistan will inspire other democratic movement in the ME.

Religion: in addition to the "separation of church and state" the First Amendment also guarantees freedom OF religion (as opposed to freedom FROM religion.) Much of this issue is rhetoric and leadership, not so much dramatic policy shifts or dogma--just ones that a large majority of Americans are united on. A balance has to be maintained, but establishment clause concerns will, and should IMHO, be counterbalanced by free exercise clause concerns.

ProChoice: reasonable restrictions on the procedure ought not concern anyone except those in the "abortion on demand" camp. I'd suggest there could be some restrictions, but nothing Draconian.

The Economy: no worries; it will pick up, and is already on its way. Now the right guy will get credit.

Judges: will be more conservative, more strict constructionist types. Some will hate that as much as some of us have hated seeing judicial activist judges trash the Constitution during the 1960s and 1970s. What comes around, goes around.

You may not be convinced, and it may not be pretty...but America "won" big with this election. As long as the Republicans don't go "crazy" or off the "deep-end"--which IS possible. I'm hopin they won't, because I've seen what extremism can do....because of what it has done to my party.

MadProphetMargin
11-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Iraq: will get worse before it gets better; they are going to crack some heads now that the election is over....and once Iraqis are "trained" for their own security, and they have their own elections, AND we begin to withdraw our troops.....things there will improve. And Iraq & Afghanistan will inspire other democratic movement in the ME.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Optimist.

Mr. Kotter
11-03-2004, 03:48 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Optimist.

Yup. It won't happen over night....but watch....and be in awe.

The power of democracy and freedom is awesome. :thumb:

Saulbadguy
11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Nothing about Bush really worries me right now. I'm just hoping for a "lame duck" last 4 years. Can't do much damage if he doesn't do anything. :D

Calcountry
11-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Nothing about Bush really worries me right now. I'm just hoping for a "lame duck" last 4 years. Can't do much damage if he doesn't do anything. :D
The Dems only hope of slowing him down is the fillibuster in the Senate.

Alas, Senators are easy to buy off.

At least 6 of them will be running for reelection in 2006.

Saulbadguy
11-03-2004, 03:54 PM

I think he just threw his "Veto" pen out the window of the White House.

Stinger
11-03-2004, 03:57 PM
The Economy: no worries; it will pick up, and is already on its way. Now the right guy will get credit.

The market at 3:45 :)

Mr. Kotter
11-03-2004, 03:58 PM
The market at 3:45 :)

:thumb:

MadProphetMargin
11-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Yup. It won't happen over night....but watch....and be in awe.

The power of democracy and freedom is awesome. :thumb:

Iraq will get worse. It will then proceed to get even worse.

Then it will fail entirely, and become another Iran.

MadProphetMargin
11-03-2004, 04:02 PM

He did that 4 years ago.

Bush has never vetoed a bill.

Fat Elvis
11-03-2004, 04:03 PM

He threw that out four years ago.

Mr. Kotter
11-03-2004, 04:05 PM

I like my version better. :p

A bit of a pessimist, eh? :shake:

MadProphetMargin
11-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I like my version better. :p

A bit of a pessimist, eh? :shake:

Just a student of insurgencies.

Iraq is already lost. We won all the battles, but lost the war, for some very clear cut reasons.

We just haven't lost enough troops to admit it, yet.

OldTownChief
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM

yep

Mr. Kotter
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Just a student of insurgencies.

Iraq is already lost. We won all the battles, but lost the war, for some very clear cut reasons.

We just haven't lost enough troops to admit it, yet.

Insurgencies suck. I understand it won't be easy, but I'm sayin' they'll eventually succeed.

Chiefnj
11-03-2004, 04:12 PM
The entire nation should wish Bush a happy and healthy 4 years; imagine something happened and Cheney was President- yikes!!

MadProphetMargin
11-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Insurgencies suck. I understand it won't be easy, but I'm sayin' they'll eventually succeed.

Insurgencies suck, when you refuse to deal with them as insurgencies, and instead label them "a few dead enders", and just hope they'll go away.

Biggest mistake of Bush's first term: Allowing the insurgency to get out of hand, for political reasons.

Bowser
11-03-2004, 04:42 PM
The entire nation should wish Bush a happy and healthy 4 years; imagine something happened and Cheney was President- yikes!!

I'll second that!

|Zach|
11-04-2004, 02:22 PM
The entire nation should wish Bush a happy and healthy 4 years; imagine something happened and Cheney was President- yikes!!There would be alot of smugness. ROFL

Calcountry
11-04-2004, 02:58 PM

Tell me, you are hoping for this right? What for, so that you could say "I told you so"?

How can someone wish such a horrible thing on a country that they love?

You are not going to regain a majority status in this country by hating it my friend. It is time to let your hate go and be constructive.