PDA

View Full Version : Hungary Pulling Troops Out of Iraq (AP)

HC_Chief
11-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsany (search) said Hungary's troops will leave by March 31, after elections in Iraq slated for the end of January.

"We are obliged to stay there until the elections. To stay longer is an impossibility," Gyurcsany said at a ceremony to mark the end of mandatory military service in Hungary.

"The threat to Hungary is no longer at its borders but often far away," Gyurcsany said. "One of the most important conditions for creating order in Iraq lies ahead of us: the elections at the end of January. After that, the conditions for democratic order, peace and security can be created."

"Therefore, by March 31, 2005, we will bring our troops back from Iraq. From then on, the existence of a stable democratic and safe Iraq has to be created by different means, above all political means. If Iraq is not safe, Hungary [is] not safe," he said.

Parliament last year authorized Hungary's military mission until Dec. 31. The government will ask parliament on Monday to extend the mandate of the Hungarian troops by three months, Defense Ministry spokesman Peter Matyuc said.

<a href="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137478,00.html">Link</a>

Saulbadguy
11-03-2004, 02:53 PM
If they are that hungry, why don't we give them some of our food?

Iowanian
11-03-2004, 02:55 PM
They should be thanked for their contribution.

BIG_DADDY
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM

I agree, good to see someone who still has balls in their pants.

HC_Chief
11-03-2004, 02:57 PM

I agree. I would also like to interject a bit of my own opinion on the subject: we should seriously start contemplating following their lead. We need an exit strategy to be clearly defined; as their PM just has.

Post-election, how long do we plan on staying in Iraq? When can we start bringing troops home for a much needed rest? (May be needed soon to hit Iran and Syria).

Iowanian
11-03-2004, 03:06 PM
I don't disagree whatsoever.......

I know the 3rd ID is going in Dec/Jan and has been told to expect 18 months for their 2nd tour in Iraq.

Hopefully in that time, after the impending storm thats heading towards Fallujah(its going down soon) and a couple of other hot pockets.............I'm hoping that Iraqi troops continue to be recruited, trained, and deployed to do their own fighting, with US troops in support.

It is my hope, that within 18 months, they've had successful elections, have built security(police and Military) strength to acceptable levels and have begun to rebuild and have their economy get on its feet.

Maybe Bush should call Kerry and ask him exactly which countries were going to be sending troops tomorrow, and how much it would cost us..........and ask him to put in a call on the US' behalf..........

HC_Chief
11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
BTW, anyone take the time to read the full article I linked? The interjected BS from the AP author is astounding. Funny how the tone in which data is <i>reported</i> can make such a difference in how it is interpretted by the reader, no?

As for Fallujah, I'm still steaming that we didn't finish the job when we first had the chance. Rumsfeld should lose his frigging job for that FUBAR. :grr:

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2004, 06:15 PM
As for Fallujah, I'm still steaming that we didn't finish the job when we first had the chance. Rumsfeld should lose his frigging job for that FUBAR. :grr:

Trouble in Iraq is, we could go in and destroy everything there and end this little squirmish. But we are rebuilding the country too and we don't want to rebuild stuff we don't have to.

memyselfI
11-03-2004, 07:44 PM
<a href="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137478,00.html">Link</a>

Not Kerry's problem... ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pants
11-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I agree, good to see someone who still has balls in their pants.

It wasn't the balls, they wanted to get on USA's good side to be eligible for those loans they are gonna get in the near future.