PDA

View Full Version : REPUBLICANS: Now that we have our "four more years", what do we want?

alnorth
11-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Its almost surreal, weve spent such a long time working and just hoping we dont lose, that I dont think many of us stopped to contemplate what a gigantic victory means. Never mind hanging on to the White House, we won in virtually every other important election and have now gained a strangle-hold on Congress, which nothing short of a filibuster could stop. I didnt even let myself fantasize that this could really happen.

So... now that the GOP has unquestioned power with only a little bit of a check from the opposition, what do we want them to do?

alnorth
11-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Foreign:

1) Hold elections in Iraq, get that country self-sufficient and phase out of there. I'm a bit more of a traditional conservative than a neo-con (but since were already in Iraq, we might as well go ahead and try to make it work, planting the seeds of democracy. If it works, great, if not, oh well, its their life), I'm very leery about any further wars, and I dont think Bush will have the support for another invasion unless there is a significantly bad development. Instead, I want diplomatic pressure on Iran. They dont want weapons? Fine, make them prove it, now that they know we are serious, I doubt well have any more adventures in the mid-east.

2) I want an ultimatum against North Korea. Not a military ultimatum, but an economic one. Cooperate or starve. China realizes that North Korea is a serious problem, and we need to convince them to help us. Help us with what? Can you say "Cuba"?

3) Aside from continuing the "War on Terror", I see no other hostile regimes in the world that merit intervention, leave everyone else alone unless they decide to threaten us.

4) I am STRONGLY for free trade. Do not impose tariffs except in cases of retribution, let the market go mostly unfettered, and force American companies and workers to compete rather than continually whine about "outsourcing". When Foreign nations improve economically, eventually we improve as well, minus short-term pain.

5) China is slowly inching its way to Democratic reforms, encourage that. We need to acknowledge that our best Pacific allies are Japan and Australia, but we should try to build ties with China so we can use those ties to ask for help with North Korea and encourage democratic/humanitarian reform.

Domestic

1) TORT REFORM!!!!

Tort reform tort reform TORT REFORM! Reign those damned lawyers in, with our stronger presence in the Senate, the roadblocks are now gone. The people are demanding that our constant idiotic lawsuits have reasonable caps, its a highly popular issue, we need to get this done now. I understand high rewards for malpractice cases that injure a patient, but I think most of us can do pretty well with a half million or two. The lack of any caps, allowing lawyers to shop for insane jury rewards of tens of millions of dollars is rediculous, it hurts companies faced with unreasonable liability judgements, and hurt doctors trying to practice their craft.

2) Make the tax cuts permenant, all of them. They must not expire, and while we are at it, a capital gains tax cut would be nice for the economy as well.

3) Dont be afraid of Social Security, our screwed up pyramid-scheme needs a serious look. Bush argued for privatisation and to everyone's surprise he didnt die for it at the polls, the congress should follow his lead, have the courage to enact reasonable reform to give us a measure of control over the money we are currently tossing away into a black hole via our social security taxes.

4) Immigration reform. We need to close the loophole that allows kids born in the US to automatically become American citizens, no one in Europe allows for this. Once thats done, then maybe we can look into increasing the quotas for more LEGAL immigration, but right now with a flood of illegal immigrants coming in and legally being able to stay every year, we must address that problem first.

5) Supreme Court Justices, I want that court jam-packed with Strict Constructionists. People automatically freak out and think that means conservative judges who will impose morality, but thats not true. A Strict constructionist reads the law and strictly interprets EXACTLY what it says. If we want to change the law, thats what congress is for, we shouldnt have these judges who magically create brand-new law out of the ether just for the hell of it.

Theres more, but thats the most important for me right now.

Stinger
11-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Foreign:

1) Hold elections in Iraq, get that country self-sufficient and phase out of there. I'm a bit more of a traditional conservative than a neo-con (but since were already in Iraq, we might as well go ahead and try to make it work, planting the seeds of democracy. If it works, great, if not, oh well, its their life), I'm very leery about any further wars, and I dont think Bush will have the support for another invasion unless there is a significantly bad development. Instead, I want diplomatic pressure on Iran. They dont want weapons? Fine, make them prove it, now that they know we are serious, I doubt well have any more adventures in the mid-east.

2) I want an ultimatum against North Korea. Not a military ultimatum, but an economic one. Cooperate or starve. China realizes that North Korea is a serious problem, and we need to convince them to help us. Help us with what? Can you say "Cuba"?

3) Aside from continuing the "War on Terror", I see no other hostile regimes in the world that merit intervention, leave everyone else alone unless they decide to threaten us.

4) I am STRONGLY for free trade. Do not impose tariffs except in cases of retribution, let the market go mostly unfettered, and force American companies and workers to compete rather than continually whine about "outsourcing". When Foreign nations improve economically, eventually we improve as well, minus short-term pain.

5) China is slowly inching its way to Democratic reforms, encourage that. We need to acknowledge that our best Pacific allies are Japan and Australia, but we should try to build ties with China so we can use those ties to ask for help with North Korea and encourage democratic/humanitarian reform.

Domestic

1) TORT REFORM!!!!

Tort reform tort reform TORT REFORM! Reign those damned lawyers in, with our stronger presence in the Senate, the roadblocks are now gone. The people are demanding that our constant idiotic lawsuits have reasonable caps, its a highly popular issue, we need to get this done now. I understand high rewards for malpractice cases that injure a patient, but I think most of us can do pretty well with a half million or two. The lack of any caps, allowing lawyers to shop for insane jury rewards of tens of millions of dollars is rediculous, it hurts companies faced with unreasonable liability judgements, and hurt doctors trying to practice their craft.

2) Make the tax cuts permenant, all of them. They must not expire, and while we are at it, a capital gains tax cut would be nice for the economy as well.

3) Dont be afraid of Social Security, our screwed up pyramid-scheme needs a serious look. Bush argued for privatisation and to everyone's surprise he didnt die for it at the polls, the congress should follow his lead, have the courage to enact reasonable reform to give us a measure of control over the money we are currently tossing away into a black hole via our social security taxes.

4) Immigration reform. We need to close the loophole that allows kids born in the US to automatically become American citizens, no one in Europe allows for this. Once thats done, then maybe we can look into increasing the quotas for more LEGAL immigration, but right now with a flood of illegal immigrants coming in and legally being able to stay every year, we must address that problem first.

5) Supreme Court Justices, I want that court jam-packed with Strict Constructionists. People automatically freak out and think that means conservative judges who will impose morality, but thats not true. A Strict constructionist reads the law and strictly interprets EXACTLY what it says. If we want to change the law, thats what congress is for, we shouldnt have these judges who magically create brand-new law out of the ether just for the hell of it.

Theres more, but thats the most important for me right now.

What Alnorth said just in a different order on the domestic

Make the tax cuts permenant Supreme Court Justices Privatize Social Security TORT REFORM Immigration reform

jiveturkey
11-03-2004, 04:23 PM
I'll be interested to see what you guys can accomplish over the next 2-4 years.

It will also be nice to see what the Dems can do now that a lot of the retarded people running the show are gone. They aren't in a position to do much but I'm hoping that there will be some changes in philosophy.

And congrats on a major ass kicking.

Phobia
11-03-2004, 04:26 PM
I want to make Twinkies illegal and I want Mexicans to speak English as well as Taco John. Oh, and I'd like toilet reform. There's far too many toilets that can't flush a man sized terd.

Cochise
11-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Just be content to be Anybody But Kerry. :p

Bowser
11-03-2004, 04:27 PM
I want to make Twinkies illegal and I want Mexicans to speak English as well as Taco John. Oh, and I'd like toilet reform. There's far too many toilets that can't flush a man sized terd.

If you weren't so full of shit.............

KC Jones
11-03-2004, 04:30 PM
If a dem may intervene:

1) Please reduce the power China holds over us by balancing the budget. They hvae become bar none the largest buyer of American debt. They could crush us economically if they dumped it all on the market. If you want tax cuts fine, but cut spending waaaaaaay back.

2) Encourage competition in our own markets by eliminating or reducing the terms granted for software patents, copyrights, etc. Get rid of that ridiculous DCMA.

3) Protect our civil liberties - don't just let the CIA and FBI get carte blanche in these Patriot Acts. As I see it, the war on terror is a continuance down a dangerous path started in the war on drugs. People can be detained for no reason, have their posessions taken, and there is no recourse.

Phobia
11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Besides toilet reform, there is one other teeny-tiny request.

Seize all microsoft and Halliburton affiliated assets to pay off the national debt. Either squash the companies or make them into an official government entity - Department of Thieves.

Velvet_Jones
11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I want to figure out how to make the poor and elderly into a renewable fuel source.

Velvet

HC_Chief
11-03-2004, 04:34 PM
1) Get Iraq on its feet; self-governing, capable of securing itself.

2) Find OBL, alZarqawi and al Sadr... try them for terrorism, convict them and throw them in a tiny cell with no windows to rot for, hopefully, a very long time.

3) Permanent tax cuts

4) Partially-privatized Social Security

5) CUT FEDERAL SPENDING

Donger
We need to close the loophole that allows kids born in the US to automatically become American citizens, no one in Europe allows for this.

How do they become citizens then?

Phobia
I want to figure out how to make the poor and elderly into a renewable fuel source.

Velvet

When I was growing up, we used to burn them for heat in the winter. I don't know if that's what you had in mind....

Phobia
11-03-2004, 04:35 PM

I think he means minority children and girls, only. At least, that's what I hope he means.

alpha_omega
11-03-2004, 04:36 PM

Velvet

ROFL

Velvet_Jones
11-03-2004, 04:43 PM
When I was growing up, we used to burn them for heat in the winter. I don't know if that's what you had in mind....
I'm thinking something much fancier like maybe the flux-capacitor technology of the eighties. You know the French are kinda greasy so we may want to look into a human squeegee and catch bucket mechanism.

Velvet

alnorth
11-03-2004, 04:51 PM

Legally, through immigration and naturalisation.

Currently, if an illegal family crosses the line and then has a child, that kid is a US citizen and we wont deport the family. No one in Europe allows for that silliness, theyll deport the whole family.

Pitt Gorilla
11-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Supreme Court Justices, I want that court jam-packed with Strict Constructionists. People automatically freak out and think that means conservative judges who will impose morality, but thats not true. A Strict constructionist reads the law and strictly interprets EXACTLY what it says. If we want to change the law, thats what congress is for, we shouldnt have these judges who magically create brand-new law out of the ether just for the hell of it.

Theres more, but thats the most important for me right now.I agree with the strict constructionists. However, I don't think conservative judges fit that description as well as moderate judges. If you're conservative enough to warrant that label, I'd worry about conflicts of interest, just as I would with liberal judges. You claim it's not true, but the Bush v. Gore case seems to imply differently.

Pitt Gorilla
11-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I think he means minority children and girls, only. At least, that's what I hope he means.That is probably what he meant.

Baby Lee
11-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Practical progress. A more efficient and effective accomplishment of the things a federal government does well, defense, intelligence, immigration, large scale endeavors. And a pruning of things federal government isn't well equipped to do well, micromanagement, pork, oversight of state issues.

alnorth
11-03-2004, 05:10 PM
I agree with the strict constructionists. However, I don't think conservative judges fit that description as well as moderate judges. If you're conservative enough to warrant that label, I'd worry about conflicts of interest, just as I would with liberal judges. You claim it's not true, but the Bush v. Gore case seems to imply differently.

Politics is irrelevant. You are either a strict constructionist, or you are not, period. We just happen to have a lot of Liberal activist judges in this country, but I'd also oppose conservative activist judges. Hell for that matter, you could even have a moderate activist judge who creates law based on his "moderate" view of what he thinks the people want.

If your a strict constructionist, then you could be a communist for all I care, because if your REALLY a strict constructionist, we wont be able to tell what your politics actually are from your decisions.

Donger
11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Legally, through immigration and naturalisation.

Currently, if an illegal family crosses the line and then has a child, that kid is a US citizen and we wont deport the family. No one in Europe allows for that silliness, theyll deport the whole family.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the children of US citizens.

Rausch
11-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I want as much welfare to go bye-bye as possible.

Raises for the military, across the board.

Protect the damned border...

Ugly Duck
11-03-2004, 05:27 PM
So... now that the GOP has unquestioned power with only a little bit of a check from the opposition, what do we want them to do?

1) Expand the record national debt into the stratosphere.

2) Transfer all that "free money" to large corporations under the "Privatization" label.

3) Once the debt is overwhelming, announce that SS, welfare, and Medi-Scam must be "reformed" because the country cannot pay for them.

4) Protect corporations from being sued by individuals to protect their profit margins.

5) Chip away at labor laws to protect corporate profit margins.

6) Water down environmental protection laws to protect corporate profit margins.

7) Legislate Christian ideas of morality into people's lives.

alnorth
11-03-2004, 05:39 PM

2) Transfer all that "free money" to large corporations under the "Privatization" label.

3) Once the debt is overwhelming, announce that SS, welfare, and Medi-Scam must be "reformed" because the country cannot pay for them.

4) Protect corporations from being sued by individuals to protect their profit margins.

6) Water down environmental protection laws to protect corporate profit margins.

Sounds good, well get to work on it, and give you regular progress reports.

Baby Lee
11-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Sounds good, well get to work on it, and give you regular progress reports.
On 100% Bond, Halliburton paper. ;)

Phobia
11-03-2004, 05:44 PM
My apologies for my frequent outbursts on this thread. I'm going to go eat some dinner and when I come back, your wife will arrive home shortly thereafter.

Rausch
11-03-2004, 05:50 PM

I love how it's always the Dems who scream "It's the economy, stupid" but somehow the Reps that are the greedy ones. The rich did not make Bush president, the midwest did.

I agree, and think it's a ligitimate concern...

Braincase
11-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Do those of you that want the tax cuts permanent also want to cut back on the deficit spending? I want the party of fiscal responsibility to be fiscally responsible.

Rausch
11-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Do those of you that want the tax cuts permanent also want to cut back on the deficit spending? I want the party of fiscal responsibility to be fiscally responsible.

Sure.

Cut welfare, end Social Security, quit giving 3rd world nations that hate us billions in aid, and secure the borders.

Problem solved.

KCWolfman
11-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Sure, but I am not as worried about it as many of you have painted it.

The same scary stories were used during the Reagan era and I still survived quite well.

Ugly Duck
11-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Sounds good, well get to work on it, and give you regular progress reports.Hey.... I nailed it pretty good, eh? And you guys thought I was dumb..... Check this out - Its only Nov 3 and BushCo is already getting to work on my Item #1:

Wed Nov 3,12:54 PM ET
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration announced Wednesday that it will run out of maneuvering room to manage the government's massive borrowing needs in two weeks, putting more pressure on Congress to raise the debt ceiling when it convenes for a special post-election session.

Braincase
11-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Sure.

Cut welfare, end Social Security, quit giving 3rd world nations that hate us billions in aid, and secure the borders.

Problem solved.

AARP is just gonna love you.

How about closing all foreign US military bases, and making the companies in those countries that depend on free security from soldiers pay for their own private security, rather than gettig a freebie from the government?

Frazod
11-03-2004, 07:07 PM
I keep thinking of the old saying - Be careful what you wish for; you may get it.

Well, you got it. Four more years of it (assuming the 22nd Amendment doesn't find its way into the presidential gunsights). We'll see what happens. Hopefully it will be better than what I think it will be. What I fear it will be.

Drastically better.

:shake: