PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Bush

Infidel Goat
11-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I was travelling today (actually spent some time in little Johnny Edwards old high school which I found personally depressing, but the kids seemed oblivious) and don't really have the time or inclination to read everything that is one the board . . .

but I thought I'd pass along my congratulations to our president.

No doubt about it this time which is nice.

Not a mandate in my opinion (electoral college is all that matters--and Ohio would have flipped that).

The house seats aren't a "were sending you a message" loss imo because they were the result of gerrymandering.

The Senate seat losses were real, but perhaps not as catastophic because only one of them occurred in an anywhere moderate state.

Oh--and Karl Rove is evil genius. I didn't buy the theory that Christian conservatives had stayed home due to the DWI story in 2000. I sure do now, though.

And I'm guessing that democrats will once again fail to learn from their mistake and nominate a moderate southerner in 2008. (Please don't let it be Hillary!) Bush showed that Ohio (like Missouri) has really turned into a southern state.

I suspect that we'll see bruising Senate confirmation hearings on a couple of Supreme Court nominees--which will only further inflame Christian conservatives.

My early 2008 nominees: John Breaux, Mark Warner, Evan Bayh, or even my pick after Gore lost . . . John Edwards.

--Infidel Goat

RINGLEADER
11-03-2004, 06:47 PM
I could vote for Breaux, but there's no way he'd make it through the nominating process (he's not liberal enough).

Mark Warner is good, but he's tool old.

Evan Bayh would have the same problems that Breaux would have, plus he's creepy looking.

John Edwards was underwhelming as a candidate.

I'd vote for Biden or Nunn in a second though.

memyselfI
11-03-2004, 07:38 PM
I
My early 2008 nominees: John Breaux, Mark Warner, Evan Bayh, or even my pick after Gore lost . . . John Edwards.

--Infidel Goat

Edwards/Bayh...

I think it could work.

Earlier I thought that Edwards career might be dead but after a few hours of contemplation I think he really needs to stay active in the party and given the likely shakeup that is bound to happen they will find a place for him.

Another person who I think might make a stronger go the second time around is Wesley Clark. People like myself who were suspect because of his switch to the Dems won't have that suspicion any longer because we've seen him be a really effective spokesperson for Kerry and able to articulate positions rather effectively and not sound too intelligent to turn off the dummy down crowd.

2bikemike
11-03-2004, 07:39 PM
IMHO we won't be seeing John Edwards anytime soon in any political forums.

Mosbonian
11-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Edwards/Bayh...

I think it could work.

Earlier I thought that Edwards career might be dead but after a few hours of contemplation I think he really needs to stay active in the party and given the likely shakeup that is bound to happen they will find a place for him.

Will you ever learn you lesson about Edwards? He is no different than his fellow Tarheel native who can't win anything either...Erskine Bowles. Bowles has all the old Springs Industries money behind him and still couldn't beat either Libby Dole or Richard Burr, the latter being a political lightweight.....

Edwards had his moment in the sun....just like Gore, Lieberman, and Geraldine Ferraro.....I look for him to hang around a little on the lecture and "bash Bush" circuit and then drift off to obscurity when the Dems decide to nominate Hillary or even elevate Obama...

mmaddog