PDA

View Full Version : Why are there Red vs Blue Cultural Regions?

chris
11-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Look at the 2000, 2002, and 2004 election maps.

Would someone smarter than me please explain the demographics of how the Red vs. Blue cultural regions exist?

Did all the libs decide to move to these blue regions? Is there something in the water that makes the Reds vote con?

And please, lets keep this above the 4th grade level...no hate language of Bush or Kerry...that race is over.

thanks

Stinger
11-04-2004, 10:10 AM
A map for reference the 2004 election

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Chief%20Planet/2004countymap3.gif

Donger
11-04-2004, 10:10 AM

Would someone smarter than me please explain the demographics of how the Red vs. Blue cultural regions exist?

Did all the libs decide to move to these red regions? Is there something in the water that makes the Blues vote con?

And please, lets keep this above the 4th grade level...no hate language of Bush or Kerry...that race is over.

thanks

You got red and blue backwards, poo poo head.

chris
11-04-2004, 10:15 AM
You got red and blue backwards, poo poo head.

Oops. Good catch! Fixed.

Do you have an answer or opinion why?

Stinger
11-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Lets try this again the 2000 map didn't go through :mad:

2000 Election map

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Chief%20Planet/2000countymap.gif

The 2004 Election

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Chief%20Planet/2004countymap3.gif

Link (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/vote2004/countymap.htm)

KCTitus
11-04-2004, 10:30 AM

he says after saying:

Did all the libs decide to move to these blue regions? Is there something in the water that makes the Reds vote con?

Did you mean below the 4th grade level?

Garcia Bronco
11-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Chris...It hink in terms of an election.,...that whihc you ask about does not exist. I voted red...but I'm not conservative...al the time....nor am I liberal.

Duck Dog
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure but I would geuss it has to do with industrial and manufactoring jobs that are union. These jobs are typicaly in large urban areas. Plus, minorities that usually vote dem live primarily in these large urban and inner city areas.

The twin cities in Minnesota, for example rendered the rest of the state nil and void. They alone voted for sKerry and turned the whole state around.

chris
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
he says after saying:

Did you mean below the 4th grade level?

Look at 2004. OK, WY, UT, NE, MT, all red. NE didn't have a single blue district.

Why is RI and MA all blue??????

Donger
11-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Look at 2004. OK, WY, UT, NE, MT, all red. NE didn't have a single blue district.

Highly urbanized areas and manufacturing/union jobs tend to vote Democratic. Rural and suburban areas tend to vote Republican.

For instance, I live in a massive suburban area just outside a major city, yet it went 70% for Bush. It's also quite affluent. Such areas tend Republican.

That's a significant generalization, mind you. But I believe it's quite accurate.

Take a peek at some of the exit polling data.

KCTitus
11-04-2004, 10:45 AM

Urban vs. Rural -- that's my guess.

ck_IN
11-04-2004, 10:55 AM
I think Donger has the meat of it.

Minorities tend to live in urban areas. Look at the map of MO and Indiana. Both of these states went red but the areas within them that went blue center on St. Louis, KC, Indy and Gary. Also college towns tend to go blue. The blue dot on the Indiana map that's southwest of Indy is Bloomington, home of Indiana U.

Red areas tend to be non-urban. They tend to be more affluent and college educated but not to the point of advanced degrees. This means your typical white collar worker who drives his/her SUV and commutes from the suburbs every day.

Rural folks tend to be red because they live independantly anyway. If you live in the sticks you can't run down the street for milk. These folks tend to chafe at govt regs and the whole nanny state package the dems typically try and sell.

At least that's my take on it.

ck_IN
11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Hey Titus, I see the Peoples Republic of Maryland voted true to form. Hat's off to you dude. I couldn't live in that place. I spent a little time around Columbia MD and that was enough.

KCTitus
11-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Hey Titus, I see the Peoples Republic of Maryland voted true to form. Hat's off to you dude. I couldn't live in that place. I spent a little time around Columbia MD and that was enough.

Actually, Im in VA. I could never live in MD either. Their waterfront area downtown, however, is a great place to party.

Amnorix
11-04-2004, 01:12 PM
1. Cities, especially big cities, that aren't in the Deep South tend to vote Democrat.

2. Minorities in general tend to vote Democrat (and to a degree they are more concentrated in cities, so items 1 and 2 go hand in hand.

3. Union workers tend to vote Democrat (and to a degree they are more concetrated in cities, so again, items 1 and 3 go hand in hand).

The rest of the country tends to vote Republican.

As others have stated, it's at least partly an urban/rural thing, so on a map the country looks 95% Republican, but if you go by votes it's about 50/50 or whatever (51-48, if you adhere to the election results of the other day).

Amnorix
11-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Note there are exceptions to the rule. Vermont is entirely rural, but strongly Democrat. Texas has several massive cities, but the entire state is Republican except for certain border districts, etc.

Cochise
11-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Less oxygen in the northeast and major cities due to pollution, results in brain damage over time.

Pants
11-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Less oxygen in the northeast and major cities due to pollution, results in brain damage over time.

He said no 4th grade level posts, cheese.

PastorMikH
11-04-2004, 01:22 PM
Accross the North I think it is because the Democrat Liberals are migrating towards Canada. Say, maybe the east coast has been preparing to flee to France.

Cochise
11-04-2004, 01:35 PM
He said no 4th grade level posts, cheese.

When I want your opinion I'll come get you out of the gimp box.

HolyHandgernade
11-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Geographically it is mostly the rural vs urban thing. Urban areas need government to provide many of the services required for modern cities. Urban areas see their "tax dollars at work" more often than rural areas. Rural areas have more of the "frontier mentality" of hard work and "keep government off my back". Urban areas have more need for massive fire, police, and health services. Have more people below poverty levels/area than rural areas. Rural communities tend to "help out their own" rather than ask government for help.

Where you see red dominated urban areas you will also see the Bible Belt, where blue is seen as "anti-God". I remember seeing another map where they adjusted the size of the states based on population rather than area. There you can graphically see the United States per its citizens is evenly split red/blue.

-HH

Baby Lee
11-04-2004, 02:00 PM
In an urban area, you see the power of collectivity. Public works projects in your neighborhood, parks, stadiums, museums.
In a rural area, you see miles and miles of highway limited by the feds to 55 mph and television programs that either ignore you or lampoon you.

KC Jones
11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
In an urban area, you see the power of collectivity. Public works projects in your neighborhood, parks, stadiums, museums.
In a rural area, you see miles and miles of highway limited by the feds to 55 mph and television programs that either ignore you or lampoon you.

Hey! I really liked Petticoat Junction, Andy Griffith, and Green Acres.

:)

Calcountry
11-04-2004, 02:19 PM

thanks
I think that gays like to be arround lots and lots of people, thats all.