PDA

View Full Version : Ashcroft Likely to Leave AG Post

Lightning Rod
11-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Aides: Ashcroft Likely to Leave AG Post

12 minutes ago White House - AP Cabinet & State

By CURT ANDERSON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) is likely to leave his post before the start of President Bush (news - web sites)'s second term, senior aides said Thursday.

Ashcroft, 62, is described as exhausted from leading the Justice Department (news - web sites) in fighting the domestic war on terrorism since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Stress was a factor in Ashcroft's health problems earlier this year that resulted in removal of his gall bladder.

Ashcroft is expected to resign before Bush's Jan. 20 inauguration, said aides who spoke only on condition of anonymity. They said there is a small chance he would stay on, at least for a short time, if Bush asked him.

The attorney general has not officially informed his staff of his future plans, spokesman Mark Corallo said.

At a news conference, Bush said he hasn't made any decisions about his Cabinet.

Ashcroft, a former two-term governor and senator from Missouri, has long been a favorite among Bush's base of religious conservatives. He also is a lightning rod for Democrats and other critics on issues ranging from the anti-terrorism Patriot Act, which expanded rules for eavesdropping, to abortion rights and gun control.

Names that have been floated in recent weeks as a possible replacement include Ashcroft's former deputy, Larry Thompson, who would become the first black attorney general. Others include Marc Racicot, who was Bush's campaign manager, and White House general counsel Alberto Gonzalez, who would give Bush a notable Hispanic appointment.

Garcia Bronco
11-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Awesome!

Mark M
11-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks to all that is holy ...

MM
~~:clap:

KCTitus
11-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Bad news for the libs...one less whipping boy sticking around.

Lightning Rod
11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Much like my thoughts on Arafat please forgive me if I donít cry too much.

NewChief
11-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Excellent.:thumb:

el borracho
11-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Good riddance, Asshat!

penchief
11-04-2004, 12:00 PM
That's ok with me.

Amnorix
11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
cya. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Worst AG since Meese...

Amnorix
11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Bad news for the libs...one less whipping boy sticking around.

Don't be retarded. His leaving is good news for EVERYONE.

KCTitus
11-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Don't be retarded. His leaving is good news for EVERYONE.

Well, at least until the next AG gets confirmed...

penchief
11-04-2004, 12:43 PM
cya. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Worst AG since Meese...

Just when I thought I had permanently erased the memory of Edwin Meese from my mind............

Baby Lee
11-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Classy of Bush not to use an ouster of Ashcroft as a pre-election chit.

MarcBulger
11-04-2004, 12:53 PM
I have a name for you Janet Reno nuff said.

MOhillbilly
11-04-2004, 01:33 PM
one of the things i found strange is JA went after bong makers/sales all over the country,yet didnt target his home town.
My cousin said you cant buy a pipe or bong in KC but the headshops around here keep on.

Edit: there are other things going on around the country that took hard hits, but his *home area* hasnt seen a thing.

and ill take the 5th.

Mark M
11-04-2004, 01:35 PM
one of the things i found strange is JH went after bong makers/sales all over the country,yet didnt target his home town.
My cousin said you cant buy a pipe or bong in KC but the headshops around here keep on.
Actually, they nailed 7th Heaven not too long ago -- they no longer sell "tobacco smoking accessories" from what I've heard.

There is, however, a place close to my house that still sells one hitters, zeppelins, and other assorted smoking supplies ...

or so I hear.

MM
~~o:-)

Amnorix
11-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Just when I thought I had permanently erased the memory of Edwin Meese from my mind............

Mind you, he's not quite AS bad as Meese, but I'm not sure that's even remotely possible...

Amnorix
11-04-2004, 01:58 PM
I have a name for you Janet Reno nuff said.

OTHER than Waco, Reno was fine. And you can't lay 100% of Waco at Reno's feet. That was a screwup across the entire administration, really.

I realize Waco is a flashpoint, but seriously -- she was AG for longer than nearly anybody else, and while seriously FUGLY, she was a perfectly competent AG. Not awesome, but competent.

Cochise
11-04-2004, 02:00 PM
waco, ruby ridge, elian... who's counting all that stuff?

John_Wayne
11-04-2004, 02:01 PM
I heard today that Rudy Gulliani might replace Ashcroft. It's too bad. I really liked Ashcroft. I hope the next AG is even tougher than he was. I think Rudy would be a good choice.

DaKCMan AP
11-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Good.

Lightning Rod
11-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Iím sure he will cover the naked statues on his way out.

Baby Lee
11-04-2004, 02:33 PM
one of the things i found strange is JA went after bong makers/sales all over the country,yet didnt target his home town.

Edit: there are other things going on around the country that took hard hits, but his *home area* hasnt seen a thing.

and ill take the 5th.
I always thought it a little weird, but I had a head shop and another semi-sort of head shop within a block of my old apartment on the U-City Loop. The guy who ran the out and out head shop was my neighbor. That shop was NOTHING but bowls and pipes. Looked like a bizarro version of "Just Vases," glassware from floor to roof.
The other one had more of a head shop legacy than anything else. It's called HSB Tobacconists, and had a most impressive collection of cigarette brands, cigars [3 separate walk-in humidors], unique ashtrays and lighters [probably 200 different types of Zippos, some as much as $300]. The scuttlebutt was that it started as a head shop in the late sixties.

jiveturkey
11-04-2004, 03:36 PM
What if he gets replaced by Jerry Falwell? :fire:

ChiefsCountry
11-04-2004, 04:27 PM
My family knows the Ashcrofts and they are very good people. I hate to see that he is leaving.

MadProphetMargin
11-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Aides: Ashcroft Likely to Leave AG Post

12 minutes ago White House - AP Cabinet & State

If a religious freak like Ashcroft is what W put up for the post when he still had to worry about being re-elected, I wonder who the hell he'll nominate, now that he doesn't.

HolyHandgernade
11-04-2004, 06:55 PM
I'm glad to see him leaving. Of all the Bush appointments, he was the one I disliked the most. Actually, outside of Cheney, I really didn't mind any of the apointees that much.

I heard Rudy Gulliani was not interested in such a post, maybe bucking for something higher. I don't think you can go too much worse than Ashcroft, though. The next appointment has to be considered an improvement. I think Rudy would have been a good choice though.

-HH

Frazod
11-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Adios, Asscroft. 4321

Inspector
11-04-2004, 07:42 PM
I fuggin HATE Asscroft.

Goes waaay back.

Good riddance.

P.S. - you don't deserve any retirement you POS.

Bowser
11-04-2004, 07:44 PM
In a word:

GOOD!

Baby Lee
11-04-2004, 08:06 PM
I think Ashcroft is a quality person, just not a very likeable one. When I was an intern in Jeff City in 92, we were set up to meet with all the major players one by one. Gov, Veep, Speaker, AG, SecySt, etc.
Most personable was VP Carnahan. I took that to be an outgrowth of his background as a teacher. Our session with him was like a small graduate level class, Socratic discussion, etc.
Most boisterous was Speaker Griffin. 'Course he was a partier. Now he's in [finally out?? I think finally out] of jail. Still a decent little discussion period.
Ashcroft? We lined up like cattle and each took a turn to take a picture shaking hands with him. THAT'S IT.

siberian khatru
11-04-2004, 08:30 PM
I think Ashcroft is a quality person, just not a very likeable one. When I was an intern in Jeff City in 92, we were set up to meet with all the major players one by one. Gov, Veep, Speaker, AG, SecySt, etc.
Most personable was VP Carnahan. I took that to be an outgrowth of his background as a teacher. Our session with him was like a small graduate level class, Socratic discussion, etc.
Most boisterous was Speaker Griffin. 'Course he was a partier. Now he's in [finally out?? I think finally out] of jail. Still a decent little discussion period.
Ashcroft? We lined up like cattle and each took a turn to take a picture shaking hands with him. THAT'S IT.

When I was covering MU football in 1987, Ashcroft, then the governor, showed up at the end of practice one day in uniform. He did some punting, ran some pass routes, basic silly photo op stuff. Afterward, I and some other reporters went up to him and asked him a few questions, most of them tongue-in-cheek befitting the light moment. Or so we thought: At one point he snapped at us that we were asking him stupid questions. This from a middle-age governor wearing a football uniform (shoulder pads and everything). :rolleyes:

ChiefsCountry
11-04-2004, 08:40 PM
When I was covering MU football in 1987, Ashcroft, then the governor, showed up at the end of practice one day in uniform. He did some punting, ran some pass routes, basic silly photo op stuff. Afterward, I and some other reporters went up to him and asked him a few questions, most of them tongue-in-cheek befitting the light moment. Or so we thought: At one point he snapped at us that we were asking him stupid questions. This from a middle-age governor wearing a football uniform (shoulder pads and everything). :rolleyes:

Sad thing is he was probally better than the football players Mizzou had at the time.