PDA

View Full Version : After watching New England's D...

FringeNC
11-15-2004, 06:17 AM
with all of their injuries, a WR playing in the secondary, completely shutdown Buffalo, it made me think our D struggles are as much caused by mental errors of the players as physical talent limitations....

No matter what D scheme we try, these players cannot (or will not) execute it. Obviously, part of it is coaching, but part of it is players knowing there will be no accountability if they do screw up. In NE, it's either you learn to play team D or you're cut.

BigMeatballDave
11-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Actually, I think a Pee Wee league team could shut down Buffalo...

Count Zarth
11-15-2004, 08:05 AM
I think mental errors are the biggest problem.

ARROW2
11-15-2004, 08:08 AM
The psyche of the D is fragile. All it takes is a (questionable) flag against them on 3rd down.

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 08:12 AM
The psyche of the D is fragile. All it takes is a (questionable) flag against them on 3rd down.

At the beginning of the 3rd quarter, CBS flashed a graphic that showed first downs broken down by run/pass/flag and Atlanta at that point had 2 by run, 1 by pass and 5 by flag.

That, in a nutshell, was why this team lost.

I think my favorite was after the defensive stop that gave NO 4th and 9 on their own 35 Woods getting the personal foul and giving NO first down on the 50.

patteeu
11-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Last year they had the convenient excuse of GRob's whacky schemes. This year they have no excuse. Gunther may or may not be doing his job well, but the players on the team have had the chance to show us what they can do under two completely different systems. It IS time for some accountability.

Although I'll remain hopelessly optimistic until after the Chiefs are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I'm now in favor of benching as many high-dollar, underperformers as is reasonably possible.

I'm no football expert, but I could see Jerome Woods making at least a couple braindead plays. He needs to ride pine and be publicly humiliated by his coaches. I'm sure there are others who deserve the same treatment. Find them and sit them. If the salary cap isn't an obstacle then I'm not opposed to cutting some of them to make it clear that serious change is necessary. I don't believe the problem with our defense is a talent problem. It might be a coaching problem, but my prime suspect is the character of the players.

Phobia
11-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Actually, I think a Pee Wee league team could shut down Buffalo...

I'll bet they could beat our scrubs.

FringeNC
11-15-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm no football expert, but I could see Jerome Woods making at least a couple braindead plays. He needs to ride pine and be publicly humiliated by his coaches. I'm sure there are others who deserve the same treatment. Find them and sit them. If the salary cap isn't an obstacle then I'm not opposed to cutting some of them to make it clear that serious change is necessary. I don't believe the problem with our defense is a talent problem. It might be a coaching problem, but my prime suspect is the character of the players.

Agreed. There is more going on with our D than just lack of physical talent.

King_Chief_Fan
11-15-2004, 10:50 AM
talent with no brains = cut the bastards

King_Chief_Fan
11-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Last year they had the convenient excuse of GRob's whacky schemes. This year they have no excuse. Gunther may or may not be doing his job well, but the players on the team have had the chance to show us what they can do under two completely different systems. It IS time for some accountability.

Although I'll remain hopelessly optimistic until after the Chiefs are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I'm now in favor of benching as many high-dollar, underperformers as is reasonably possible.

I agree with you 100%.
But, that is not DV's style. He can't bruise their little egos.
After all , they have the character we are looking for:rolleyes:

shaneo69
11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
I found it funny last night on SNF when ESPN listed the 4 traits that Belichick requires for players on his team. One of the 4 was "intelligence." OTOH, it seems that Vermiel's preferred "profile" consists of players who are as dumb as rocks.

cadmonkey
11-15-2004, 11:07 AM
In NE, it's either you learn to play team D or you're cut.

In NE, the players will do whatever is asked of them to win. True, Brown was playing defense, but don't forget we have defensive guys play offense too. Vrabel plays tight end on goal line plays. Klecko, before he got hurt, played full back and tight end between the 20's. Seymour lines up at tightend and fullback when we get inside the 20.

The Patriots are just not a selfish team.

Mythjp
11-15-2004, 11:09 AM
I found it funny last night on SNF when ESPN listed the 4 traits that Belichick requires for players on his team. One of the 4 was "intelligence." OTOH, it seems that Vermiel's preferred "profile" consists of players who are as dumb as rocks. As a mater of fact a poll was taken last season as to players who got their College Degr. By a large % more members of the Patriots had completed College and gotten their degrs then any other team. it was at 92% This tells you again that they go after smart players not just raw talent.

cadmonkey
11-15-2004, 11:12 AM
As a mater of fact a poll was taken last season as to players who got their College Degr. By a large % more members of the Patriots had completed College and gotten their degrs then any other team. it was at 92% This tells you again that they go after smart players not just raw talent.

That is one of the things Belichek takes pride in and makes draft choices by. If you can graduate college, you can read a play book.

Brock
11-15-2004, 11:24 AM
I found it funny last night on SNF when ESPN listed the 4 traits that Belichick requires for players on his team. One of the 4 was "intelligence." OTOH, it seems that Vermiel's preferred "profile" consists of players who are as dumb as rocks.

Are you saying Eddie Kennison isn't smart? He gon put one on dey ass.