PDA

View Full Version : defensive scapegoat.

stevieray
11-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Two years ago, when everyone was calling for GR's head, we retained him.

At that moment, the players had their scapegoat. They had their out for the 2003 season.

This is reinforced by his firing, and subsequent contracts for all free agents on the D.

gun gets hired, with no personell changes. Boom. Once again, they have their out, it, like gr, is all put on the coaches shoulders. reinforced by DV's loyalty to his players.

They, like last year, started strong, and then skated.

:shake:

Saulbadguy
11-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Unfortunately they look alot worst than last year.

stevieray
11-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately they look alot worst than last year.

Fat contracts can do that to a player. They are hoping that the fingers continues to go the Dc.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Fat contracts can do that to a player. They are hoping that the fingers continues to go the Dc.
I don't see how they can. It appears the correct defenses are being called, but excecution is terrible. We call a blitz, but we get no pressure. The corners and safeties make NO plays at the ball..they wait until well after the receiver catches the ball, and then goes for the tackle. This is very remedial stuff....

It just irks me we have had the same exact problem for 3 seasons now and have done little to correct it.

BigChiefFan
11-15-2004, 07:32 AM
I think the safeties are what are killing us. The safety is SUPPOSED to be the last line of defense, yet we still keep giving up big plays, EVERY game. That falls on Woods and Wesley. Woods has sucked ass for too long to keep giving him a free pass, but unfortuanately Carl's SIX year deal will dictate who starts. The defense can pass the buck all they want, but they aren't fooling anybody. They suck... they know it, I know it, and you should know it, too, but I really believe the majority of the defenses problem is the LBers and safetys.

stevieray
11-15-2004, 07:34 AM
I think the safeties are what are killing us. The safety is SUPPOSED to be the last line of defense, yet we still keep giving up big plays, EVERY game. That falls on Woods and Wesley. Woods has sucked ass for too long to keep giving him a free pass, but unfortuanately Carl's SIX year deal will dictate who starts. The defense can pass the buck all they want, but they are fooling anybody. They suck... they know it, I know it, and you should know it, too.

know what? I am blaming the players.

How Woods and Wesley can regress under Gun is beyond me.

Chiefnj
11-15-2004, 07:39 AM
The weak link the past few weeks has been safety. I don't think it is completely unrealistic for CP, DV or GC to have thought prior to the season that Wesley and Woods would regain their old form under Gunther and make big plays and hits. It sucks that they aren't playing well, but keeping them didn't seem like a completely bad move in the offseason.

BigChiefFan
11-15-2004, 07:42 AM
The weak link the past few weeks has been safety. I don't think it is completely unrealistic for CP, DV or GC to have thought prior to the season that Wesley and Woods would regain their old form under Gunther and make big plays and hits. It sucks that they aren't playing well, but keeping them didn't seem like a completely bad move in the offseason.
I would agree with that, although I thought re-signing Woods to a 6 year deal was FOOLISH. I thought the money could be better spent elsewhere. I can see your point, though.

TEX
11-15-2004, 07:42 AM
I think the safeties are what are killing us. The safety is SUPPOSED to be the last line of defense, yet we still keep giving up big plays, EVERY game. That falls on Woods and Wesley. Woods has sucked ass for too long to keep giving him a free pass, but unfortuanately Carl's SIX year deal will dictate who starts. The defense can pass the buck all they want, but they aren't fooling anybody. They suck... they know it, I know it, and you should know it, too, but I really believe the majority of the defenses problem is the LBers and safetys.

You're exactly right with your take on the Safeites as they're clearly the weak links on a very weak defensive unit. When your supposed "strength" is a major weakness, you have issues - the Chiefs do. And having very weak LB's doesn't help matters. But it didn't have to be this way, the CHIEFS front office chose this course...:shake:

Lzen
11-15-2004, 07:50 AM
I don't know about the linebackers being weak. I mean, they have been injured and in and out of the lineup all year. That doesn't help a defense trying to become consistent. But I will agree that the safeties have not played well at all. I'm really disappointed in Woods and Wesley. I thought for sure that these guys would play well under Gun's aggressive scheme. :shake:

First Down Elvis,
Hey dude, I've sent you a couple PMs but you never replied. I guess you have that turned off?

Anyway, what I wanted was to ask if you would send me (or post it) that pic that your wife took of my wife and I with you before the Texans game. Thanks.

stevieray
11-15-2004, 07:52 AM
I don't know about the linebackers being weak. I mean, they have been injured and in and out of the lineup all year. That doesn't help a defense trying to become consistent. But I will agree that the safeties have not played well at all. I'm really disappointed in Woods and Wesley. I thought for sure that these guys would play well under Gun's aggressive scheme. :shake:

First Down Elvis,
Hey dude, I've sent you a couple PMs but you never replied. I guess you have that turned off?

Anyway, what I wanted was to ask if you would send me (or post it) that pic that your wife took of my wife and I with you before the Texans game. Thanks.

I sent it last week to your email.....

?

Lzen
11-15-2004, 08:05 AM
I sent it last week to your email.....

?

Really? Hmmm, I didn't receive anything. I wonder if my gmail is filtering out stuff. Unless you sent it to hotmail. I don't use that hotmail account anymore. Got tired of the constant spam. How about a PM here on the Planet? Could ya send it again, please?

ROYC75
11-15-2004, 08:12 AM
We lack at least 6 good players on defense, out of those 6, at least 4 of them need to be playmakers.

Othet than that, the players we have now are either to slow on the field or in the head to do what we need to do.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-15-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't see how they can. It appears the correct defenses are being called, but excecution is terrible. We call a blitz, but we get no pressure. The corners and safeties make NO plays at the ball..they wait until well after the receiver catches the ball, and then goes for the tackle. This is very remedial stuff....

It just irks me we have had the same exact problem for 3 seasons now and have done little to correct it.
I'm baffled how Woods and Wesly just watch as Joe Horn runs right between them for a wide open touchdown. I was baffled last week when Warfield looked to the TE in Tampa before the play started and didn't react to him until it was too late for his wide open TD. I'm just generally baffled as to what ours guys are thinking out there. Apparently they're not thinking at all.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
11-15-2004, 08:33 AM
We should have started turning over the roster of this defense last year. Now we're a year behind where we could have been next year.
But who knows Carl will probably retain everybody for next year to.