View Full Version : Who should we get rid of....

jspchief
11-15-2004, 10:28 AM
On Offense?

It's come to my attention that this teams sucks this year because our offense is letting us down.

1. They are only scoring the second most points per game in the NFL.
2. They only have a top five rusher (in spite of missing a game and a half), a top five QB, and a TE that ranks 15th among WRs.
3. Our O line is arguably the best in the league, and certainly top 3.
4. They are top five in 3rd down percentage, and second in TOP.
5. They score the most points on opening drives in the NFL.

So since they are failing us, I think we need to make changes. Who do we need to cut? Obviously the week spot is WR. Our best WR is Morton, and he's only the 23rd best in the league. So after we replace him, who else? Our FB doesn't seem to score much, and he gets costly penalties, he could go. Our QB throws interceptions at very crucial moments, we could live without him. The O-line is certainly giving up sacks, those guys are dispensible. How good are our TEs at blocking when if our RBs can't break long runs? Certainly no one we'd miss. Finally we have a running game that is inconsistent and oft-injured.

I'm tired of this offense losing games for us. If these guys can't perform, we need to get rid of them and pound the FA market for better skill players.

HC_Chief
11-15-2004, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't cut anyone on O.... just ADD a <i>legit</i> #1 receiver!! (just imagine Joe Horn in this offense... wow). Morton and Kennison are good #s 2 & 3, respectively.

FAX
11-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Our team has been ill-prepared for practically every game this season. Turnovers & penalties are the product of poor preparation. Poor preparation is the product of poor coaching.

FAX THE REALIST

Rain Man
11-15-2004, 10:34 AM
I was really worried that this thread was about me at first.

jspchief
11-15-2004, 10:36 AM
I was really worried that this thread was about me at first.

Can you explain what the h*ll it is you've done for the offense?

2bikemike
11-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Well if you are talking offensive players I would say the defense is pretty offensive.

HC_Chief
11-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Our team has been ill-prepared for practically every game this season. Turnovers & penalties are the product of poor preparation. Poor preparation is the product of poor coaching.

FAX THE REALIST

Succinct, accurate..... ACCEPTABLE! :thumb:

Amnorix
11-15-2004, 10:44 AM
I do not understand the fixation on a WR. A team only has so many possessions per game, and can only score so many points.

Your offense is AWESOME, and your defense SUCKS. It is beyond clear where the offseason investment needs to be.

Not that a "legit" #1 WR wouldn't help you out, I'm sure it would, but honestly -- you're #2 in points scored. It simply cannot help THAT much.

Rain Man
11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
I do not understand the fixation on a WR. A team only has so many possessions per game, and can only score so many points.

Your offense is AWESOME, and your defense SUCKS. It is beyond clear where the offseason investment needs to be.

Not that a "legit" #1 WR wouldn't help you out, I'm sure it would, but honestly -- you're #2 in points scored. It simply cannot help THAT much.

Eh, if you watched the games, you'd understand our position. We're scoring despite our WRs, and that position has directly fumbled away a couple of games now. I was crying and whining to draft one with our #1 pick last year, and will do the same this year unless there's some sort of superstud MLB or CB available.

PastorMikH
11-15-2004, 10:49 AM
I think on offense we need 2 WRs and 1-2 Tackles. Morton/Kennison are not legit threats. Roaf is getting old and is getting beat too much - RT is a weak spot as well.

We are solid at TE, Center, Guard, QB (at least 1st and 2nd string), and RB.

Defense it's easier to pick who should stay.

HC_Chief
11-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Amnorix... try to pay attention next time. The question is "who would you get rid of on <b>OFFENSE</b>"?

This O has one glaring weakness: wide receiver. The OL is superb, the RBs superb, the TEs superb. WR.... errrrrrrrrrrrrr, well, not so superb. As a matter of fact, they're downright poor. Morton and Kennison are adequate second and third choices at wideout, but hardly go-to guys. In other words, if for some unknown reason our O depended on those two to win a game, more often than not they would fail.

FAX
11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
I would love to see Trent work the passing game with an absolute burner on the outside. A true deep threat would make the entire offense more dangerous. What a beautiful thought.

FAX THE DREAMER

MichaelH
11-15-2004, 10:52 AM

The Chiefs are #2 in points scored due to the running game, not the passing game. They need to score 8 TD's a game to win and a true#1 WR will give them that.

shaneo69
11-15-2004, 10:54 AM
On Offense?

It's come to my attention that this teams sucks this year because our offense is letting us down.

1. They are only scoring the second most points per game in the NFL.
2. They only have a top five rusher (in spite of missing a game and a half), a top five QB, and a TE that ranks 15th among WRs.
3. Our O line is arguably the best in the league, and certainly top 3.
4. They are top five in 3rd down percentage, and second in TOP.
5. They score the most points on opening drives in the NFL.

So since they are failing us, I think we need to make changes. Who do we need to cut? Obviously the week spot is WR. Our best WR is Morton, and he's only the 23rd best in the league. So after we replace him, who else? Our FB doesn't seem to score much, and he gets costly penalties, he could go. Our QB throws interceptions at very crucial moments, we could live without him. The O-line is certainly giving up sacks, those guys are dispensible. How good are our TEs at blocking when if our RBs can't break long runs? Certainly no one we'd miss. Finally we have a running game that is inconsistent and oft-injured.

I'm tired of this offense losing games for us. If these guys can't perform, we need to get rid of them and pound the FA market for better skill players.

I thought this thread was supposed to be poking fun at people who are complaining about the offense, but people are actually taking it seriously.

jspchief
11-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Good grief.

Does anyone that responded to this thread realize that I was being sarcastic?

We've got the best offense in the league based on overall ranking in the various statistical categories. If we could keep this exact offense for the next fifty years I'd be tickled.

This was supposed to be a dig at the morons that think our offense is what's losing these games.

Rain Man
11-15-2004, 10:56 AM
I don't know about that, jsp. I'm sure that Priest will have lost his burst by the time he's 80.

jspchief
11-15-2004, 10:56 AM
I thought this thread was supposed to be poking fun at people who are complaining about the offense, but people are actually taking it seriously.

Congratulations, you are officially smarter than several members of the Planet. Your pulitzer is in the mail.

Rain Man
11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Congratulations, you are officially smarter than several members of the Planet. Your pulitzer is in the mail.

Why does he win the beer?

Amnorix
11-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Listen, it's your team, but I want you guys to be able to beat the Raiders and Broncos because i hate those bastards.

And I understand that watching a WR drop a pass can drive you nuts. I also understand that great WR can open things up all around the field for the offense. But look at this:

Offense:

28.6 points per game (3rd in NFL)
completion % - 67% (2nd in NFL)
passing yards/game 263.1 (4th in NFL)
yards per play (all offense) 6.1 (tied 3rd in NFL)

Defense:

26.4 points per game (4th worst in NFL)
4.8 yards per carry (tied 3rd worst in NFL)
235.9 yards per game (7th worst in NFL)

I'm cherry pickng a few stats here, but the gist is clear. Your offense is EXTREMELY well optimized.

Your defense sucks.

I really don't even care what your eyes tell you on Sundays. You are NOT losing games because of ANY component of your offense.

(seriously -- what would you think if, for example, a Colts fan were telling you that they'd really be a much better team if only they had a much better Tight End. That THAT position was killing them...)??

Also, remember, that a defense tends to only as good as its weakest link(s), while an offense can overcome weaknesses at some positions if it is strong at others. Your offense is clearly so good in some areas that your mediocre WRs hardly matter. Your defense, however...

HC_Chief
11-15-2004, 11:20 AM
No one will argue with you there, Amnorix.... it is blatently obvious _efense is the bane of the KC Chiefs; has been for three consecutive seasons.

The O, however, is not perfect. They crank out gaudy stats, but haven't been capable to overcoming the _efense. When the _efense kept games close, the O managed to screw it up. What the O lacks is a serious threat at receiver.... add that final component, and I believe they CAN overcome the _efense's shortcomings.

Which is easier: add a legit #1 wideout, or replace 2/3 (or more) of a defensive unit?

jspchief
11-15-2004, 11:57 AM
ROFL

This thread is hilarious.
It's a freaking abortion.

InChiefsHeaven
11-15-2004, 12:05 PM
It's a freaking abortion.

Based on the content of the first post (hilarious, btw) I can't believe anyone took it seriously...

...and you are right, there are plenty who blame the offense. It will be a looooooong time before this offense can be held responsible for a loss, or a losing season.

We need beter athletes on D, but I don't know how they are going to get them, or from where. The draft is a bad place to get immediate starters, but FA is expensive. I don't know... :shake:

Raiderhater
11-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Listen, it's your team, but I want you guys to be able to beat the Raiders and Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons) because i hate those bastards.

And I understand that watching a WR drop a pass can drive you nuts. I also understand that great WR can open things up all around the field for the offense. But look at this:

Offense:

28.6 points per game (3rd in NFL)
completion % - 67% (2nd in NFL)
passing yards/game 263.1 (4th in NFL)
yards per play (all offense) 6.1 (tied 3rd in NFL)

Defense:

26.4 points per game (4th worst in NFL)
4.8 yards per carry (tied 3rd worst in NFL)
235.9 yards per game (7th worst in NFL)

I'm cherry pickng a few stats here, but the gist is clear. Your offense is EXTREMELY well optimized.

Your defense sucks.

I really don't even care what your eyes tell you on Sundays. You are NOT losing games because of ANY component of your offense.

(seriously -- what would you think if, for example, a Colts fan were telling you that they'd really be a much better team if only they had a much better Tight End. That THAT position was killing them...)??

Also, remember, that a defense tends to only as good as its weakest link(s), while an offense can overcome weaknesses at some positions if it is strong at others. Your offense is clearly so good in some areas that your mediocre WRs hardly matter. Your defense, however...

I agree with what you are saying in regards to the WRs. Frankly, they look great compared to last year. Morton has finally turned it on (though I wanted to bitch slap the f#cker a couple of times yesterday) and Kennison seems to be more sure handed. Would a true #1 WR be great? Yes. Nececcary? No. So I completely agree with you there.

However, our offense has not done the job it is supposed with but a few exceptions. We get bogged down, we make stupid penalties, we do not execute when we absolutely need to, we do not put a game away.

Our defense is costing us games, but so is our offense and our special teams. These are team losses, pure and simple. The offense is as much to blame as anyone. Our stats look a little better than we have over the course of the season because of a couple of games (Atlanta and Indy).

This thread was obviously sarcastic, and I agree with that sarcasm to a point. Is there anyone I would get rid of? We could use a couple of people on the line, and losing Morton certainly would not cause me any grief, but overall, I'm happy with what we have. The problem is not a lack of talent, it is mental and coaching (play calling namely).

HC_Chief
11-15-2004, 12:13 PM
IHowever, our offense has not done the job it is supposed with but a few exceptions. We get bogged down, we make stupid penalties, we do not execute when we absolutely need to, we do not put a game away.

Nuh-uh, you're stupid... the offense is perfect... it's 100% the _efense's fault.