PDA

View Full Version : The best Gretz article ever...

shaneo69
11-15-2004, 11:16 AM
GRETZ: Dumb and Dumber
Nov 15, 2004, 5:59:07 AM by Bob Gretz

NEW ORLEANS – It’s a constant with Dick Vermeil: a team must play smart football to win. In Vermeil’s football dictionary, smart means no turnovers and few penalties, and he preached it on a daily basis.

Well, if the opposite of smart is dumb then meet the 2004 Chiefs, the dumbest of Vermeil’s four teams in Kansas City. They showed that again at the Superdome against the Saints, losing 27-20 and driving a stake through any playoffs dreams that were still left.

We’ve railed in this space before about the tendency of fans never to credit the opponent when the Chiefs lose. The other guys get paid as well and even the worst NFL teams have some good players.

But right now, the Chiefs toughest opponent is … themselves. There’s no other way to explain back-to-back losses to Tampa Bay and New Orleans, teams that are a combined 2-0 against the Chiefs and 5-11 against the rest of the NFL.

Smart football does not include:

-Four turnovers, with two fumbles and a pair of interceptions. On the season, the Chiefs are minus-five in the takeaway-giveaway ratio.

-A dozen penalties walked off against them, and three more either declined or wiped out by offsetting penalties. They racked up 94 yards in penalties. On the season, they now have been hit with 73 penalties for 629 yards. How bad is that? In 16 games last season, they had 79 penalties for 698 yards.

The turnovers and penalties were not the limit of dumb plays; not by a long shot. There was the situation at the end of the first half, with no timeouts and the Chiefs trying to get themselves in field goal position, where Johnnie Morton caught a pass and did not get himself out of bounds to stop the clock. Add that to Morton’s first quarter fumble and a third quarter interception where he simply fell down, allowing Saints CB Mike McKenzie to catch the Trent Green pass like he was the intended receiver.

The mistakes that are killing the Chiefs are not being made by young or inexperienced players. Oh, guys like Jared Allen, Kawika Mitchell, William Bartee and Julian Battle are making their share of mistakes.

The Chiefs season has been ruined by mistakes being made by veteran players, guys that should know better. The Chiefs stopped the Saints well short of a first down on a 3rd-and-23 play, but Jerome Woods was flagged for a personal foul. Result: first down, New Orleans. At the end of an offensive play in the first half, Jason Dunn was flagged for a personal foul for a hit that had nothing to do with the play that was unfolding behind him.

So virulent has this penalty thing become that the two smartest players on the roster – based on sheepskins on the wall – Tony Richardson and Scott Fujita, were each flagged for two penalties.

New Orleans WR Joe Horn caught passes for 57, 42 and 40 yards. On the 42-yarder, Horn got deep behind both Woods and Greg Wesley. How does that happen? Get past one safety maybe, but both. He split the field between them and both were so completely out of position that there was little they could do as Horn tumbled into the end zone with the ball.

On the 40-yard completion, both Woods and Eric Warfield could have intercepted the pass, had they known where the ball was; a defensive player who doesn’t know the location of the ball is not doing his job. In this case, neither player was aware of the ball, its flight and relationship with Horn.

These are just a few of the mistakes that compromised the Chiefs chances for victory, wasting a magnificent fill-in performance by Derrick Blaylock. He ran for 186 yards and caught passes for another 38 yards, as Priest Holmes watched from the sidelines. The game also showed the true feelings the coaching staff has for last year’s No. 1 draft choice, Larry Johnson. Despite the fact Blaylock is not a big back, and the fact he was coming off an injury that caused him to miss last week’s game in Tampa, Johnson never stepped on the field. Not a single play. Quite obviously, Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders do not trust this young man.

The loss leaves the Chiefs 3-6 on the season. There are seven games to play. They need to win seven in a row to have a chance and even that may not be good enough. But the idea of a seven-game winning streak is simply laughable given the dumb football they currently produce on the field.

ptlyon
11-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Wow.

Deberg_1990
11-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Way to go Gretz!!! Your finally getting some balls man! Actually, ive noticed that he was been alot more vocal this year on the radio calling out players and such. I hope Carl doesnt become a pussy and fire Gretz after this year because of that.

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
That game yesterday was by far the worst game Ive seen in the entire DV tenure. The last game that comes close is the loss to 2-13 Atlanta in 2000 to end the Gunther era. Absolutely ugly.

Brock
11-15-2004, 11:25 AM
That game yesterday was by far the worst game Ive seen in the entire DV tenure. The last game that comes close is the loss to 2-13 Atlanta in 2000 to end the Gunther era. Absolutely ugly.

It was like that, except instead of being glad the season is over, I merely wish it was.

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 11:27 AM
It was like that, except instead of being glad the season is over, I merely wish it was.

Yep.

ROYC75
11-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Good read, to the point.

They are what they are..... Dumb ! :thumb:

shaneo69
11-15-2004, 11:44 AM

Actually, I'm glad it's not over yet. We'll either get to see some of the younger players get some experience, or we'll get even more evidence for this stubborn coaching staff that Woods, Wesley, Bartee, Warfield, McCleon, Holliday, Hicks, etc. need to be replaced.

Either way, I will be watching with anticipation for the coaching staff to admit (without coming out and saying it) that these guys need to be sent packing.

stevieray
11-15-2004, 11:49 AM
They are beating themselves, and it hurts worse than just getting beaten.

siberian khatru
11-15-2004, 11:57 AM
On the season, they now have been hit with 73 penalties for 629 yards. How bad is that? In 16 games last season, they had 79 penalties for 698 yards.

:eek: :Lin:

Incredible.

Swanman
11-15-2004, 11:58 AM

I agree completely. I'd rather they get beat by 30 than watch them lose by 7 when they should have won by a couple touchdowns. Nothing's quite as bad as wasted potential.

Chief Henry
11-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Any one of us could have wrote that article.
Only thing is, we would have sprinkled some
CUSS words into it......

Aints 27
Chiefs 20

Mr. Laz
11-15-2004, 02:00 PM
i agree ... it's pretty painful to watch the chiefs 'beat themselves' every sunday.

sorry ... couldn't help it :fire:

the Talking Can
11-15-2004, 02:03 PM

that's exactly what I thought but was afraid to admit publicly...it looked exactly like Gunther's last meltdown in Atlanta....no spirit at all, they looked like prisoners being forced to work...

ptlyon
11-15-2004, 02:04 PM
that's exactly what I thought but was afraid to admit publicly...it looked exactly like Gunther's last meltdown in Atlanta....no spirit at all, they looked like prisoners being forced to work...

Then get a new job - we pay your wages

ENDelt260
11-15-2004, 02:08 PM
He's clearly classless and deranged.

BigRedChief
11-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Holy crap anyone check the sky for pigs? Two "real" articles in a row for the greatest as@ kisser of all time.

BigChiefFan
11-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Wow. I never thought I'd see the day where Gretz has been negative towards the Chiefs, two weeks in a row. Looks like Carl's memo is to deflect all the crap to the players now.

Spicy McHaggis
11-15-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm not going to give Gretz props for an article long overdue. If he writes a "Fire Carl" article then we'll see.

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Wow. I never thought I'd see the day where Gretz has been negative towards the Chiefs, two weeks in a row. Looks like Carl's memo is to deflect all the crap to the players now.

Well, they were the ones on the field...getting called for 15 penalties

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:37 PM
turning the ball over 4 times...

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:38 PM
wasting time outs...

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:38 PM
letting NO's best receiver get behind both safties several times...

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Failing to score from the 5 after 6 tries

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah, come to think of it...the blame shouldnt be put on the players. This is all Carl.

siberian khatru
11-15-2004, 02:42 PM
POST WHORE!!

:p

BigChiefFan
11-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Hmmmm. I seem to recall Carl being the one RESPONSIBLE for signing these players in the first place. I also seem to recall the coaches having responsibilities to TEACH fundamentals and discipline, but that shouldn't count, right?

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Hmmmm. I seem to recall Carl being the one RESPONSIBLE for signing these players in the first place. I also seem to recall the coaches having responsibilities to TEACH fundamentals and discipline, but that shouldn't count, right?

The game is played on the field...at least that's the way I understood it and this is the NFL where 'any given Sunday' any team can beat another team. Typically, 'busts' and failures never make it on the field of play.

This is the same ball club that demolished the NFL's pretty boy and out ran the NFL's favorite son, right? They've shown flashes, they just havent been consistent about it.

mikey23545
11-15-2004, 02:49 PM

You can't lead the unwilling....

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 02:50 PM

LOL...

BigChiefFan
11-15-2004, 03:02 PM
No, but you can certainly choose to not re-sign those same guys who have been unwilling for 4 straight years, no?

BigChiefFan
11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
The game is played on the field...at least that's the way I understood it and this is the NFL where 'any given Sunday' any team can beat another team. Typically, 'busts' and failures never make it on the field of play.

This is the same ball club that demolished the NFL's pretty boy and out ran the NFL's favorite son, right? They've shown flashes, they just havent been consistent about it.Believe me I'm NOT giving the players a free pass. They are struggling mightily, however it starts at the top and Carl is in charge, which IMO means he should be held the most accountable. Shit flows downhill.