PDA

View Full Version : Is McNabb still "overrated?"

Pitt Gorilla
11-15-2004, 08:54 PM
To those who have claimed that he is, what does he have to do to lose that reputation? He looks pretty good to me (now that he has a real WR).

Phobia
11-15-2004, 08:55 PM
It would help if he would get white.

tk13
11-15-2004, 08:56 PM
I almost posted this thread after he made the one play where he scrambled around and hit Pinkston on the fly 50-60 yards downfield....

Rausch
11-15-2004, 08:56 PM

Trent Green looked like he was blind his first year here. People thought he stunk too...

Now, Vick...he sucks.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2004, 08:57 PM
He is pretty good. Silence the haters.

Oh yeah, my turn to interject with something stupid. KSU has eternal scoreboard over Donovan McNabb.

Deberg_1990
11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
He will always have haters until he wins an NFC Championship game at least.

ChiTown
11-15-2004, 09:05 PM

Sincerely,

Rush Limbaugh

Pitt Gorilla
11-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Trent Green looked like he was blind his first year here. People thought he stunk too...

Now, Vick...he sucks.I assume those were people who either didn't understand that those rejects we had weren't actually receivers or don't understand fundamental football.

Deberg_1990
11-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Sincerely,

Rush Limbaugh

hahaha.....that fat, drug addict needs to get a grip.

big nasty kcnut
11-15-2004, 09:20 PM
mcnabb is overrated not because he black it's because he sucks.

Pitt Gorilla
11-15-2004, 09:34 PM
mcnabb is overrated not because he black it's because he sucks.Uh, ok, can you provide some evidence?!?

Jenson71
11-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Uh, ok, can you provide some evidence?!?

Yeah. What's up with that avator though, mang? I know you've always had it, but it just occured to me it looks like an evil Tapenga.

KCWolfman
11-15-2004, 09:39 PM
mcnabb is overrated not because he black it's because he sucks.
Hell, I said he was overrated last season. Only a fool would say he sucks now.

Look at his rating. Give him a decent defense that keeps him off the field, a good Oline, an adequate RB, and a stellar WR and he is damned good.

Of course, he stays more in the pocket than he has in the past and he doesn't take the unnecessary shots like he used to.

With all of the above he has turned from a dangerous scrambling but barely adequate QB to one of the best in the league today.

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, Pitt. It isn't just a WR and the same QB from a year ago.

Pitt Gorilla
11-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Yeah. What's up with that avator though, mang? I know you've always had it, but it just occured to me it looks like an evil Tapenga.It is Tapenga (sp?). Well, Tapenga and Yoda. She's curvy...

Claynus
11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
McNabb is the closest thing to John Elway in this league.

Pitt Gorilla
11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Hell, I said he was overrated last season. Only a fool would say he sucks now.

Look at his rating. Give him a decent defense that keeps him off the field, a good Oline, an adequate RB, and a stellar WR and he is damned good.

Of course, he stays more in the pocket than he has in the past and he doesn't take the unnecessary shots like he used to.

With all of the above he has turned from a dangerous scrambling but barely adequate QB to one of the best in the league today.

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, Pitt. It isn't just a WR and the same QB from a year ago.A good WR has made all the difference. Of course, neither one of us can prove our assertions, but the D, the backs, and the line look to be a push from last year. TO has given McNab a real target and DMac has made the most of the opportunity.

tk13
11-15-2004, 09:47 PM
I'd agree with that. That's exactly who he reminded me of on that scrambling 60 yard pass. I don't think he quite has Elway's arm or accuracy, but who does. Everybody looks at him and thinks "Vick", but his passing skills are underrated.

Rausch
11-15-2004, 09:53 PM
I'd agree with that. That's exactly who he reminded me of on that scrambling 60 yard pass. I don't think he quite has Elway's arm or accuracy, but who does. Everybody looks at him and thinks "Vick", but his passing skills are underrated.

He needs to lose 4 super bowls before he can even compare to Horseface...

tk13
11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
He needs to lose 4 super bowls before he can even compare to Horseface...
Well I don't think he's nearly that good, but really there aren't very many great QB's anymore....

KcMizzou
11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Well I don't think he's nearly that good, but really there aren't very many great QB's anymore.... Well, there's Eli Manning...

morphius
11-15-2004, 10:05 PM
He was always a good scrambler, I don't think anyone every questioned that. It was more his intermediate passes that people questioned, those 8-20 yard passes that he has always been inconsistant on. Sure one game he will look like a god, but other games he looked like a 3rd string QB with his throw in that range. He is throwing a hell of a long ball this year, and his players have had some nice jump ball catches. But I have heard that the Eagles don't have many drives, but lots of pretty big plays, don't know how true that is, but I haven't seen him drive down the field much. We will have to see if he can keep it up, but he appears to finally be living up to his billing.

Demonpenz
11-16-2004, 01:14 AM
mcnabb is a great quarter black

Fairplay
11-16-2004, 03:08 AM

Michael Jackson can help him out with that issue.

Infidel Goat
11-16-2004, 07:00 AM
It is Tapenga (sp?). Well, Tapenga and Yoda. She's curvy...

FWIW, I've met the guy who played Minkus.

Through me, you are now two degrees of separation from Topanga.

Exciting stuff . . .

--Infidel Goat

KCTitus
11-16-2004, 07:04 AM
(now that he has a real WR).

I think that answers the question.

Brock
11-16-2004, 07:14 AM
Funny how this didn't get posted last week.

Lzen
11-16-2004, 07:16 AM
I believe when that comment was made last year, McNabb looked like total crap in his first 3 games. I even remember seeing them break down several of his plays and saw him miss wide open receivers. Perhaps the guy was just struggling. Obviously, having TO sure has helped his confidence and his overall game. He is definitely playing like a top tier QB this season. No argument there.

jAZ
11-16-2004, 07:38 AM
This thread RULES!

If only I had that stupid search function I could wet myself by posting links to all my McNabb-haters are fools threads.

:p

jAZ
11-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Funny how this didn't get posted last week.
I've been wanting to post a similar thread for weeks now, but I decided to wait until after he plays in the playoffs.

Either way, he certain doesn't appear overrated to me right now.

:shrug:

jAZ
11-16-2004, 07:44 AM
Uh, ok, can you provide some evidence?!?
I will.

He throws too many TD's to Terrell Owens when I'm going against TO in Fantasy Football.

He sucks.

Stupid 0.23 points!

jspchief
11-16-2004, 08:09 AM
He was over-rated. He got a lot of hype in previous years for mediocre QB play. Spectacular at times, but as a consistent QB he was average.

Now he's living up to the hype. Amazing how having one of the top WRs of our time does that. TO makes some sick catches to make McNabb look good in the stats column. He's good. I'll even go to great if he can win a NFC championship game.

Brock
11-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia look good too.

Pitt Gorilla
11-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Funny how this didn't get posted last week.I posted something like this a few weeks ago concerning the top QBs in the league. It was an old thread that I brought back to the top. Funny how you didn't notice it. :)

KCWolfman
11-16-2004, 09:01 AM
He was over-rated. He got a lot of hype in previous years for mediocre QB play. Spectacular at times, but as a consistent QB he was average.

Now he's living up to the hype. Amazing how having one of the top WRs of our time does that. TO makes some sick catches to make McNabb look good in the stats column. He's good. I'll even go to great if he can win a NFC championship game.
There it is in a nutshell.

KCWolfman
11-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia look good too.
So according to jAZ and others here, Garcia is underrated?

With Owens - 94.8 and 97.6 QB rating
Without Owens - 77.9 rating

Logical
11-16-2004, 09:25 AM
This year he is finally not over-rated and earning that ridiculous salary he has been sucking up undeservedly in the past. Congrats to him.

nmt1
11-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Lets look at all the data here before we brand anyone. Take a look at McNabb's passer rating over his entire career and you'll see he has been middle of the pack up until this year.
McNabbs Career Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133361)
He is having a great season and it's no doubt helped him having a great receiver to throw to. As of right now there is more data supporting him being a mediocre passer so it's probably not a good idea to make a decision on how good McNabb is without seeing him play a few more years.

cdcox
11-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Up to now, he had some people who thought he was great, and some who thought he was average. So overall, people considered him an above average QB. Which I would say is about right.

Now people are slobbering all over themselves when they talk about him.

So before, he was not overrated, but now he is.

KCTitus
11-16-2004, 10:00 AM
I'll tell you one thing with the move of TO to Philly, you can definately get a good sense of the east coast media bias in sport. TO did stupid stuff in SF, but he didnt get the 24x7 wall to wall media coverage he gets today.

There's story about TO every day on every sportscenter. Sure, he's made quite an impact on Philly, but damn, there's 31 other teams in the NFL.

ENDelt260
11-16-2004, 10:03 AM
You ain't kiddin'. I even saw him throw a pass after passing the LOS last night.

Claynus
11-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Of course McNabb was little more than average without Owens so...meh.

The Chiefs should have signed Owens. Green would break the single-season record for completion percentage.

Rausch
11-16-2004, 10:11 AM
You ain't kiddin'. I even saw him throw a pass after passing the LOS last night.

It's than unwriten QB clause.

McNab is allowed to throw past the LOS and Gannon is allowed to intentionally ground the ball when pressured. Vick is also excluded from ever being down by "in the grasp."

ENDelt260
11-16-2004, 10:13 AM
McNab is allowed to throw past the LOS

He actually got flagged for it on the play I'm thinking of.

Rausch
11-16-2004, 10:15 AM
He actually got flagged for it on the play I'm thinking of.

No official is perfect...

NewChief
11-16-2004, 10:16 AM
He was always a good scrambler, I don't think anyone every questioned that. It was more his intermediate passes that people questioned, those 8-20 yard passes that he has always been inconsistant on.

This I completely agree with. I think there was quite a bit of evidence of this problem last night as well. I only watched the first half, but I saw two easy throws where he threw it at the receiver's feet. The first TD to TO was actually a short throw that he tossed to TO's knees, but TO made an awesome catch, an incredible move, and then ran for the TD.

That being said, his scramble and throw downfield to Pinkston last night was one of the most athletic plays by a QB I've seen in a long time. The scrambling was great, but it was the throw that really knocked my socks off. He threw that thing like 50 yards in the air, across his body, without truly planting. Broke about every rule in the book, but made the play. Pure athleticism.