PDA

View Full Version : Synergy? My favorite retailer and least favorite merge

Baby Lee
11-17-2004, 11:29 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041117/D86DNDHO0.html

Here's hoping KMart doesn't drag down the Sears brand.

KCTitus
11-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Long as they dont mess with Craftsman...Im good.

Brock
11-17-2004, 11:34 AM
No kidding. I love Sears. This doesn't sound good to me.

morphius
11-17-2004, 11:50 AM
It is always weird when companies merge with a company that was trying everything it could to fall on its face.

As Titus said, if they don't mess with Craftsman then who really cares?

JimNasium
11-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Does this mean a Bob Villa clothing line is in the works?
http://www.joeyjet.com/Aviation/Passenger_List/Bob_Vila/villa.jpg

KCWolfman
11-17-2004, 12:51 PM
GO K-MART!!!!!

That stock will skyrocket. I bought in closer to 10 points than 20 and now it will soar over 100.

KCWolfman
11-17-2004, 12:52 PM
No kidding. I love Sears. This doesn't sound good to me.
Why? neither the quality of Coca Cola or Columbia pictures changed when they merged.

Brock
11-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Why? neither the quality of Coca Cola or Columbia pictures changed when they merged.

Ha. Hope you didn't separate your shoulder. :p

WilliamTheIrish
11-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Craftsman tools (and maybe license plates?) will now be available in the "Martha Stewart Collection."

Two failed business models combine to form one great big, monstrous failed business model?

All they need is Capt Smith at the helm of this iceberg breaker..

WilliamTheIrish
11-17-2004, 08:45 PM
OTOH, if Sears can make stand alone stores work, I'll shop there long before I drop $ in Wally.

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 08:52 PM
This is an odd marriage. K-Mart sells cheap shit cheap while Sears sells quality stuff for a reasonable price. We got our first TV in 1957 and the other day I asked my 90 year old mother where we got it. She said "If we had it in 1957, it came from Sears".

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 09:00 PM
OTOH, if Sears can make stand alone stores work, I'll shop there long before I drop $ in Wally.

Two things:

1) Sears couldn't cut it with the Sear's Great Outdoor store, I doubt that they are going to be successful with the Great Indoor's concept....

2) Do any of you who bag on Wal mart realize that Target is just as bad , if not worse, than Wal mart?

mmaddog

dtebbe
11-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Anyone remember when sears had "catalog affiliates". Basically a local store when you could place an order for sears stuff and then pick it up? When I was a kid the sears wish book was my bible, and that's where my xmas came from every year. As a matter of fact I had a sears branded Atari 2600. It will be interested to see what comes of this merger. Here in the south Kmart is on the ropes big time, all of thier stores in my area have closed. The only places where Kmart stores are open in the Atlanta area are usually pretty rough parts of town.

DT

Michael Michigan
11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
GO K-MART!!!!!

That stock will skyrocket. I bought in closer to 10 points than 20 and now it will soar over 100.

What does Martha's insider say?

KCWolfman
11-17-2004, 10:55 PM
What does Martha's insider say?
Hell, I am hoping she releases a tell all afterward- that will temporarily boost the stock at least another 7-10 points

Michael Michigan
11-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Hell, I am hoping she releases a tell all afterward- that will temporarily boost the stock at least another 7-10 points

I'm certain she's working on it.

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 11:02 PM
This deal really puzzles me. It looks like two failing companies trying to stay afloat by merging. Oh, good, let's take two bad managers and merge them and KC Wolfman will then buy our stock. Yeah, that's the ticket.

KCWolfman
11-17-2004, 11:04 PM
This deal really puzzles me. It looks like two failing companies trying to stay afloat by merging. Oh, good, let's take two bad managers and merge them and KC Wolfman will then buy our stock. Yeah, that's the ticket.
KCWolfman bought the stock a long long time ago. When it reaches 120, KCWolfman will sell and make 100 per share profit AFTER expenses.

What is Direct TV currently selling on the market?

Brando
11-17-2004, 11:39 PM

Ed Lampert owns 53% of K-Farts stock and was buying up Sears stock. It looks like he's trying to make a run at Wal Mart and Target.

Swanman
11-18-2004, 08:03 AM

The deal surprised me, but I think it could work if (big if) they can do a good job of merging the successful product lines of the two stores. For years, Sears has been kept afloat by their "hard line" merchandise (tools, appliances, electronics, car stuff, etc.) while their "soft line" merchandise (clothes and everything else) nearly brought the store down. KMart does have a few good brands like the Martha Stewart collection so if they could merge those together they could see some decent results. I still don't see them ever catching WalMart but they can always dream.

Swanman
11-18-2004, 08:05 AM
2) Do any of you who bag on Wal mart realize that Target is just as bad , if not worse, than Wal mart?

mmaddog

Up here in the suburbs of Chicago, Target is far and away better than WalMart. The WalMarts up here are downright scary to shop in while the Targets are all extremely nice and most of them are less than a few years old. However, I have been to a Target in Chicago in a not-so-good neighborhood and it was pretty frightening so I guess it could be different depending where you live.

MichaelH
11-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Up here in the suburbs of Chicago, Target is far and away better than WalMart. The WalMarts up here are downright scary to shop in while the Targets are all extremely nice and most of them are less than a few years old. However, I have been to a Target in Chicago in a not-so-good neighborhood and it was pretty frightening so I guess it could be different depending where you live.

Good point! We have two Super Wally Worlds where I live. One is in the good section of town and very nice. The other is in the ghetto and is a dump. Target borderlines on the ghetto but it ia a nice new store. I suppose if the ghetto grows, Target will go downhill with Wally World.

Fat Elvis
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
Ed Lampert owns 53% of K-Farts stock and was buying up Sears stock. It looks like he's trying to make a run at Wal Mart and Target.

Lampert is trying to turn K-mart into the next Berkshire-Hathaway.

Fat Elvis
11-18-2004, 09:44 AM
GO K-MART!!!!!

Kmart is over $100....

KCWolfman
11-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Kmart is over $100....
Waiting for 120

NewChief
11-18-2004, 10:09 AM

mmaddog

Define "bad"?

KCWolfman
11-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Define "bad"?
None of them are "bad" in my opinion. They all offer discount retail services. I save a bunch of money at all three. As it is now, I save the most at K-Mart due to my Mother In Law's discount.

As the stores age, they tend not to renovate, which makes them look poorly. However, that doesn't affect the merchandise at all.