PDA

View Full Version : Concerning great white sharks. . .

Ghostof
11-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Wasnt there a great white shark down at Bass Pro Shops in the early 1990's that was claimed to be the largest shark caught on rod and reel? I have been trying to look for that story again as I only remember pieces of it. I thought the guy was fishing with his buddies near Australia and they seen some mass floating in the water. When they pulled the boats up to it, the mass was a whale that had died and sharks were still in the area. I think the guy used some whale meat and had caught the smaller shark, which happened to be like 1700+ pounds or something like that. It took awhile for them to land it and two boats to bring it in to shore.

Does anyone remember this? I think they mady have also had the shark at the sport show that year as well.

jcroft
11-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I don't remember this, but I do have an interest in sharks (and therefore probably know more about them the the average dude), and I can say that this story totally jives -- it sounds true. Austrailia is one of four places on Earth that is a real haven for White sharks, and Whites would certainly feed on a dead whale in the water.

htismaqe
11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
The world record great white (rod and reel) was caught in 1959...

http://www.schoolofflyfishing.com/resources/worldsaltrecords.htm

jcroft
11-17-2004, 02:15 PM
The world record great white (rod and reel) was caught in 1959...

http://www.schoolofflyfishing.com/resources/worldsaltrecords.htm

I <em>really</em> wouldn't have wanted to be the guy who caught the nearly 1800 pound Tiger shark. I bet that thing was <em>pissed</em>.

htismaqe
11-17-2004, 02:16 PM
I <em>really</em> wouldn't have wanted to be the guy who caught the nearly 1800 pound Tiger shark. I bet that thing was <em>pissed</em>.

Imagine how the dude's arms and back felt after hauling in a ONE-AND-A-QUARTER TON great white shark...

jcroft
11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Imagine how the dude's arms and back felt after hauling in a ONE-AND-A-QUARTER TON great white shark...

No doubt. That's a crazy big fish. But -- I'd imagine the Great White was much less agressive once he got it on board then the Tiger, which is still damn big...

Smoke
11-17-2004, 02:27 PM
IF I remember right Bass Pro had a fiberglass copy of it in the old wildlife museum.

Ghostof
11-17-2004, 02:48 PM
IF I remember right Bass Pro had a fiberglass copy of it in the old wildlife museum.

Aye, and the time I seen it the shark was hoisted between two boats, that looked like the boats from the movie Jaws.

Ari Chi3fs
11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
"Sharks patrol these waters." is a good lesson in business as well as off the coast of Africa.

jcroft
11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
"Sharks patrol these waters." is a good lesson in business as well as off the coast of Africa.

South Africa is one of the other White shark heavens. Between the mainland and seal island (about a kilometer offshore) is just crazy with Whites. This is probably the best place to cage dive.

The other places really well known for Whites are California, Austraila/New Zealand, and Guadalupe Island (Mexico).

htismaqe
11-17-2004, 03:41 PM
South Africa is one of the other White shark heavens. Between the mainland and seal island (about a kilometer offshore) is just crazy with Whites. This is probably the best place to cage dive.

The other places really well known for Whites are California, Austraila/New Zealand, and Guadalupe Island (Mexico).

The Mediterranean is also Great White habitat, but they are having to make a very difficult comeback from being nearly wiped out...

jcroft
11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
The Mediterranean is also Great White habitat, but they are having to make a very difficult comeback from being nearly wiped out...

That sucks...

Ghostof
11-17-2004, 04:02 PM
For some great white shark shots:

http://www.apexpredators.com

Go to the "prints for sale" section at the top left corner of the screen and check out pictures like these:

http://www.apexpredators.com/store/showCategoriesProducts.asp?categoryID=8

jcroft
11-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Isn't that Chris Fallows site? He's a famous shark photographer from South Africa (seal island) -- he was one of the first to discover their breaching behavior.

KC Kings
11-17-2004, 05:17 PM
I haven't been there for a few years, but they did have the largest shark ever caught on rod and reel, in the basement auditorium where you can watch the diver jump in the water and feed the fish by hand. Whether it was the real thing or just a replica, I don't remember.

Chiefnj
11-17-2004, 05:36 PM
I thought Frank Mundus had the world record great white. Then again, he was a controversial figure and the IGFA may not have "approved" of his shark.

He was the inspiration for Quint and it pisses him off he was never given official credit for it.

Here is his website. He is a "colorful" guy to say the least. I'm pretty sure he caught the big Great White feeding under a whale and that he actually hopped off the boat and onto the whale carcuss at some point.

http://www.fmundus.com/

stumppy
11-17-2004, 06:43 PM
That's about the way I remember it. And KC is right. It was down where you could watch them feed the fish.