PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bob Gretz article....

SNR
11-17-2004, 11:11 PM
This first and third parts I agree on. The 2nd part, no. Notice I said interesting, not exactly good.

GRETZ: The Answer Man Returns
Nov 17, 2004, 5:59:36 AM by Bob Gretz

Welcome to KRAP-AM and KRAP-FM, the semi-official voice of the entire Chiefs Kingdom. Itís now time for Answer Man, the most listened to sports call in show in all of the red states. Now, hereís your host Ö the Answer Man.

Good afternoon, the lines are jammed with disgruntled Chiefs fans, so letís go right to the phones. Hereís Jack in the Plaza. What say you Jack?

Carl Peterson is responsible for all of this mess and Iím tired of you and his other lackeys protecting him. He sat and did nothing in the off-season to improve this team and now we are paying the price.

Well Jack, thereís no doubt that Carl Peterson has to take responsibility for the poor Chiefs season. Thatís something heís done since heís took over the franchise back in 1989. In tough times before, itís something heís never run away from and thatís not going to happen now.

But given the disappointment of the 3-6 record, thereís plenty of blame to go around. Donít stop at Peterson. The personnel staff, the coaching staff and the players get to share in this blame as well. To date, the 2004 Chiefs have been a major underachiever and blame for that starts at the top and rolls right through to the bottom of the roster.

Letís go to Kevin out in JoCo Land. Whatís your comment?

I agree with Jack. The Chiefs should have been out there spending money in free agency to help their defense. Itís a lack of talent thatís killing them.

OK Kevin, name me a defensive free agent the Chiefs could have signed that would have come in and made a difference?

Ah, ah Ö how about Troy Vincent.

Is that the same Troy Vincent who has been injured most of the season up in Buffalo, where the Bills also have a 3-6 record. Obviously heís not made much of an impact.

Ok, how about Warren Sapp.

Oh, heís made such a big difference in the Oakland defense! Come on! If anything, the Chiefs defensive line has done a good job this season, without a loudmouth like Sapp.

What about Antonio Winfield?

Now, that would have been a nice addition, but it would have cost the Chiefs a lot of money and have you seen the Vikings defensive statistics? Thatís 30th in yards allowed and 29th against the pass. Those numbers are worse than the Chiefs (26th in yards and against the pass.)

They still should have done something in free agency.

How about this Kevin, if anything I would say the Chiefs were too active in free agency last year with defensive players. Donít forget, free agency includes signing your own players who are about to become, or are unrestricted free agents. For some reason, nobody wants to count that as part of free agency. Itís the avenue of the free agency system that is traveled the most by NFL teams: keeping their own.

The Chiefs signed five of their own free agents on the defensive side of the ball: Eric Hicks, John Browning, William Bartee, Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley. In light of whatís happened with this defense, I think you can question whether that was a good decision. Right now Hicks and Browning are standing up and playing like they were good investments. Bartee, Woods and Wesley are not.

Letís go back to the phones and bring in Joe from Midtown. What say you Joe?

The problem this defense has is that Woods and Wesley are too slow. They canít keep up with wide receivers in this league. How could the Chiefs not see that?

First of all Joe, Woods and Wesley are too slow to be covering wide receivers. So are 98 percent of the other safeties in the league. Safeties donít often cover the wideouts and when they do, thatís a mismatch for any offense.

But Woods and Wesley are not too slow to play the position. Joe, name the best safety in the last 20 years to wear a Chiefs uniform.

Ah, ah Ö well I used to think it was Jerome Woods.

Well itís not and never was. It was Deron Cherry (1981-91.) He played there with great skill and made great contributions to the Chiefs defense and was selected to six Pro Bowls. He wasnít fast of foot. Remember, Cherryís appearance as an undrafted rookie in the Chiefs 1981 training camp was as a punter.

Cherry made up for his lack of speed with an incredible work ethic when it came to understanding what the opponent was going to do. He spent hours studying film of opponents. He kept detailed logs of what they did and how they went about implementing their offense. Cherry became a starter in 1983 and in a few years, he accumulated enough knowledge and information about the other teams in the AFC West that half the time he knew what they were going to do on offense, before the quarterback ever got the play from the sidelines.

Thatís how all great safeties play the position: they recognize keys, study tendencies and put themselves in the right position to make plays. Itís about taking the correct angle when the ball is in the air. Itís about not letting a receiver get behind you, as both Woods and Wesley did on the same play last Sunday in New Orleans. Itís about knowing where the ball is when itís been thrown. Itís about not letting a receiver go uncovered on 1st-and-goal at the three-yard line.

The play of Woods and Wesley has not been good enough. But, itís not because of their legs.

OldTownChief
11-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Well Jack, thereís no doubt that Carl Peterson has to take responsibility for the poor Chiefs season. Thatís something heís done since heís took over the franchise back in 1989. In tough times before, itís something heís never run away from and thatís not going to happen now.

Taking responsibalty for your mistakes and learning from your mistakes is two different things.

Douche Baggins
11-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Gretz is dead-on with most of this stuff.

OldTownChief
11-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Gretz is dead-on with most of this stuff.

yea, but will he write about the obvious solution? A total organizational anima.

1adam1238
11-18-2004, 04:34 AM
yea, but will he write about the obvious solution? A total organizational anima.

Good point, because the underachieving, its time to restructure the entire organization.........

siberian khatru
11-18-2004, 05:57 AM
It's real easy to "take responsibility" for your mistakes if there are no consequences for making them.

the Talking Can
11-18-2004, 06:27 AM
"I'm Carl Peterson and I take responsibility for our 12th straight season without a playoff victory........see you next year, suckers."

KC Jones
11-18-2004, 06:33 AM

I think you mean a total organization anime - you know where we have Japanese cartoonists come in and give all the players special powers, bulging eyes, and round mouths. It just might work.

OTOH, an enema might be good for cleaning all the crap out.

As for anima, I'm not so sure organizations have souls - at least not in the Jungian concept of the unconcsious true inner self. However, if the chiefs do have an unconscious true inner self, it sure needs a kick in the rear.

Chief Henry
11-18-2004, 06:41 AM
The chiefs front office has turned our club into a
dam soft football team. James Hasty would have
Slobberknocked Joe Horn into next week.

Rausch
11-18-2004, 06:41 AM
I think you mean a total organization anime - you know where we have Japanese cartoonists come in and give all the players special powers, bulging eyes, and round mouths. It just might work.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Main Entry: an∑i∑ma
Pronunciation: 'a-n&-m&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, soul
: an individual's true inner self that in the analytic psychology of C. G. Jung reflects archetypal ideals of conduct;

KC Jones
11-18-2004, 06:42 AM
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

heh - I just went back and edited that post to include anima :p

Rausch
11-18-2004, 06:46 AM
As for anima, I'm not so sure organizations have souls - at least not in the Jungian concept of the unconcsious true inner self. However, if the chiefs do have an unconscious true inner self, it sure needs a kick in the rear.

I belive this team does have a "true inner self," and it is the straying from that which has lead to our 3 & $#it record...

Gaz
11-18-2004, 07:06 AM
Gretz makes very clear and reasoned points.

Too bad it is wasted effort.

xoxo~
Gaz
Doubts clear and reasoned points matter anymore.

ptlyon
11-18-2004, 07:10 AM
That's it, get Deron Cherry back here

ROYC75
11-18-2004, 07:14 AM
No excusses here, just another way of looking at this.....

I do believe that alot of fans are forgetting the 5 yard rule enforcement. Years ago, Hasty, Cherry, any CB or Safety could bump recievers, slow them down, cause them to change route before a pass was thrown.

These guys we have now dohave to play by a different set of rules. With this being said, I know other teams have to play by these same rules, maybe it's going to have to take some time to adjust , change their style of play within the scheme ?

Food for thought ......

Baby Lee
11-18-2004, 07:19 AM
Is that the same Troy Vincent who has been injured most of the season up in Buffalo, where the Bills also have a 3-6 record. Obviously heís not made much of an impact.
Yeah, they're 3-6 because their D sucks, while their O is all-world. :rolleyes:

chiefqueen
11-18-2004, 12:07 PM
What I want to know is whether Jack Harry or Kevin Keitzman have commented on the column.

For those who don't know (or haven't figure it out) Jack from the Plaza was intended to be Jack Harry (KSHB is on the Plaza & he's hated Peterson since 1990), Kevin from OP was Kevin Keitzman (who lives in OP).

I haven't figure out Joe from Waldo. When reading the column I thought one of his callers would be Jason from Blue Springs.

Sig Kauffman
11-18-2004, 12:14 PM
What I want to know is whether Jack Harry or Kevin Keitzman have commented on the column.

For those who don't know (or haven't figure it out) Jack from the Plaza was intended to be Jack Harry (KSHB is on the Plaza & he's hated Peterson since 1990), Kevin from OP was Kevin Keitzman (who lives in OP).

I haven't figure out Joe from Waldo. When reading the column I thought one of his callers would be Jason from Blue Springs.

I'm thinking maybe Joe Posnanski of the KC Star, which surprises me, because Posnanski is a major kiss-ass, just like Gretz.

jspchief
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
What the organization needs is some freaking accountability. There are no consequences for failing at your job. Carl Peterson has repeatedly failed at nearly every aspect of his job. Vermeil has failed miserably at preparing this team, and managing it during gametime. Saunders has failed at keeping the offense effective for 4 quarters in a row. Gunther has failed at teaching his players the basics of defense including things like tackling and sticking to your assigment. Then you have our defensive players that have glaring mistakes week in and week out.

So what happens to all these guys when they screw up? Nothing. We get empty words from Peterson. We gets hugs, tears, and excuses from Vermeil. And we get the same players on the field after weeks of watching them trip on their dicks.

KCJohnny
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
As long as they sell tix, Mr. Hunt will be happy, trophy or no trophy. Want accountability? Look into the Army.

ptlyon
11-18-2004, 12:27 PM
"How do you write women so well?"

"I take the Chiefs, and remove all reason and accountability."

The Bad Guy
11-18-2004, 12:27 PM
I love this.."Who could they have signed that would of made a difference" garbage.

Well, lets see. Your defense brought back the same clowns that sucked and they still suck.

Bring in any aggressive player that can tackle or get after the quarterback and it would of been a massive improvement.

This "there was noone out there" line is old and tiresome. The Redskins lost Champ Bailey and Lavar Arrington for most of the season but the additions of Springs, Washington and Cornelius Griffin have made their defense 2nd overall.

Teams can get better in free agency, the Chiefs just like to use an excuse when it comes to it.

Sig Kauffman
11-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Mr. Hunt already has his trophy...even if it was from back when Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison were still alive. It just so happens some of us weren't around to see the Chiefs win it.

go bowe
11-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Mr. Hunt already has his trophy...even if it was from back when Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison were still alive. It just so happens some of us weren't around to see the Chiefs win it.well, those of us who were around would still like to see another sb win in our lifetimes...

but it's beginning to look like it might not happen during king carl's reign... :( :( :(

The Bad Guy
11-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Yeah, they're 3-6 because their D sucks, while their O is all-world. :rolleyes:

Don't expect Gretz to have much perspective.

But Vermeil told Troy Vincent, a 5 time pro bowler I believe, that he would have to compete with Dexter McCleon and Bartee for a job.

This coaching mentality on defense is the reason that this team is the laughing stock of the NFL. Why does an NFL Pro Bowler have to compete with a nickel back that has never even had a career INT?

It's insulting.

Vermeil and these jackasses have had the same problems for 3 years but they never address the areas that stink. Corner, Linebacker and defensive end. The same 3 positions that stunk when he arrived.

Instead of fixing the problem, Vermeil just found stopgap players to try to do the job and it hasn't worked. It's like a serial killer putting fabreeze all over a dead body. Temporarily, you can likely mask the odor, but eventually it will stink so bad you can't handle it.

KCJohnny
11-18-2004, 12:32 PM
I
Teams can get better in free agency, the Chiefs just like to use an excuse when it comes to it.

Yes, we all know it was caused by Marty or Gunther...(yawn) Or was it 4 years ago when Peterson paid $19 mil of his salary cap to players not even on the team? :hmmm:

Baby Lee
11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
What the organization needs is some freaking accountability.
When I hear CP is 'taking responsiblity' for this season, why do I get the mental image of Janet Reno taking responsibility for Waco?

Iowanian
11-18-2004, 01:43 PM
"I'm Carl Peterson and I take responsibility for our 12th straight season without a playoff victory........see you next year, suckers."

..."and good news Chief fans....Next season, Parking is Only going up to $28"

OldTownChief
11-18-2004, 01:44 PM

ROFL I thought I might have had that spelling wrong.