PDA

View Full Version : RUFUS DAWES: Kevin Kietzman and Jack Harry are journalists like William Shatner is a

Wile_E_Coyote
11-18-2004, 08:18 AM
DAWES: From The Mailbag

Nov 18, 2004, 2:27:03 AM by Media Watch by Rufus Dawes (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/media_watch/)

What a week and I don’t mean that in any good way. The Chiefs are mired in a losing streak, the NFL’s back in bed with the soulless entertainment industry, Priest Holmes may miss another game, and there’s rain in the forecast. Well, at least the holidays are soon upon us and Chiefs vs. Raiders, or good vs. evil as some fans see it, on Christmas day.

From the mailbag: You have plenty bad to say about journalists, but you claim you aren’t one. What are you?

RUFUS DAWES: Kevin Kietzman and Jack Harry are journalists like William Shatner is a singer. I’m what Jonathan Klein, former senior executive of 60 Minutes calls a blogger: ” a guy sitting in his living room in his pajamas.” I presume he would add with a computer on his lap, his window to the world. Pajamas, to my way of thinking, are optional.

But seriously, as well-established blogger Andrew Sullivan said of our growing profession: “Blogs depend on the journalistic resources of big media to do the bulk of reporting and analysis. (I do my own research, I may add.) What blogs do is provide the best scrutiny of big media imaginable – ratcheting up the standards of the professionals, adding new voices, new perspectives and new facts every minute. In an era of polarized debate, the truth has never been more available. Thank the guys in the pajamas.” ([i]Time, September 27, 2004)

From the mailbag: Knowing your past position on the NFL mixing it up with TV and music, I wondered what you thought about the introduction to this past week’s Monday Night Football game.

RUFUS DAWES: What did the league know and when did it know it? Haven’t the excuses or outrage from the NFL office in NY become just a bit lame? Last season ABC finished a distant fourth in the ratings, behind NBC, CBS, and even Fox, and some reports have the network losing $250 million a year. Monday Night Football is one of the network’s franchises and it’s not to hard to believe that desperate networks may take desperate measures to get noticed.

But the League’s continued outrage is more difficult to fathom. The people running the NFL walked out of the congressional hearing called to investigate the embarrassing halftime show at last year’s Super Bowl, conveniently dismissed the outrage they displayed before the legislators in front of C-Span audience, and climbed right back into bed with the purveyors of this crap. How else to explain another music extravaganza to kick off this season? How else to explain Monday Night Football’s skit where a seemingly nude actress, Nicollette Sheridan, jumps into the arms of Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens? How interesting that ABC’s problem attracting the 18-49 year old market is one the NFL shares, according to ratings released following last year’s Super Bowl. How convenient that the player the network chose to join them in this skit was Terrell Owens, whose propensity to say anything and to do anything has brought him league-wide attention. As to the league insistence it didn’t know? In the words of columnist John Smallwood: “Give me a break. The NFL claims ignorance, but this is a league that notices when a player’s socks don’t conform to uniform codes.”

From the mailbag: I know it’s been a disappointing season and that we had so much faith that this would be the one. But I still follow the team despite all the negativity. Am I a dunce or what?

RUFUS DAWES: The Chiefs 2004 season is unofficially in the book – a book that has yet to be published. I say unofficially because there are still seven weeks to go but as we size up seasons in this media-conscious world we are quick to characterize them before their official conclusion.

But barring an incredible turnaround of 2003 Patriots proportion or the complete collapse of the AFC West leaders, the Chiefs are looking at a setback from where they expected to be in 2004. From what we have seen, there will be no Seabiscuit-esque triumph when the regular season ends up in San Diego on January 2. Once again, the Super Bowl bug took us down.

As is their charge, the columnists on this site will take a detailed look at why they think the 2004 season turned out the way that it did, but that’s for down the road. For our purposes here, it makes more sense to look at our fan base – of which you and I are members.

Examination of the fan mentality has fallen under this columnist’s brush most recently in The Un-Royal We and a reading of it would go far to revealing how our little happy band can come back year after year when the team fails to produce. Team records acknowledge that the Chiefs sold an additional 3,500 season tickets from the previous year despite as much as a 15% increase in cost, a move that drew widespread media criticism from the usual places.

The Columbia Journalism Review recently ran an article about the worrisome gap between the media establishment and ordinary working Americans. The people who cover the team just never seem to get the appeal the team has with the local populace even in losing times. Maybe it’s because media can be so self-referential. They’re inclined to stand apart and, in some circles, look down their noses at those of us who diligently pay for our tickets and take our seats come what may. They seem affronted that we don’t defer to their wisdom that with a certain number of losses the season is over, and it has been over in their minds for a few weeks now, and for purposes of the post-season, it likely is.

Still, you’re not an idiot if you continue to follow the Chiefs even when they’re not winning, and you’re not an idiot for reading or listening to media who seem perpetually dismayed or always critical. You have your feelings and they have their jobs to do. As we have learned, many times never the twain shall meet.

From the mailbag: The Kansas City Star said that the team “dropped the ball” by not keeping Joe Horn. After his performance this past weekend, I cringe knowing how he could have helped this team.

RUFUS DAWES: Horn is a victim of changing football philosophies. If Vermeil had been here and not Gunther Cunningham, it’s possible he would have retained him or sought to – Horn, as a free agent you must remember, has a choice too. Vermeil’s offense prefers quick, smaller receivers who can separate from defenders. Cunningham, if you recall, wanted taller, more physical receivers such as Sylvester Morris. This is what can happen when you’re always changing coaches.

From the mailbag: By any observation, Trent Green is having a marvelous season. But do you feel a little concerned that after years of struggling to find a quarterback that we should find one only to let his performances be wasted with this year’s overall performance. You said so in your column (A Question of Strategy (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/11/16/dawes_a_question_of_strategy/))

RUFUS DAWES: That’s an interesting question and one that has crossed more than a few minds. Fellow columnist Bob Gretz takes an interesting look at Green’s Growth (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/11/12/gretz_greens_growth/) and comes up with some impressive numbers. On the surface, Green’s age might be a problem but he’s played relatively little over his career. His health appears good and he is stronger than before, or so he and Dick Vermeil say he is. Quarterback is an issue with every team right now because teams always have to be looking. Perhaps only Pittsburgh with their rookie sensation and Indy with Peyton Manning can rest easy for the meantime.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

BigRedChief
11-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Rufus is nothing more than King Carls venue of attacking the media over negative Chief articles. As a Chiefs fan and season ticket holder I sure wish he would take the high road and quit this chit.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Rufus is nothing more than King Carls venue of attacking the media over negative Chief articles. As a Chiefs fan and season ticket holder I sure wish he would take the high road and quit this chit.

doesn't mean he is wrong on KK and JH :)

vckcchiefs04
11-18-2004, 09:58 AM
King Carl has his hand up Dawes' back just like he does Bob Gretz. This is nothing but crap from the mouth of a moron. Kietzman and Harry are good........ if you don't think so it's obvious your one of few who listen to Whitlock in this city. He needs to stick to the newspaper and the foot in mouth twins Maas and Grunhard need to get into football with the Chiefs somehow and stay off the radio because they are awful, more Grunny than Maas, Maas is pretty good on the game broadcasts.

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Kietzman and Harry are good........ if you don't think so it's obvious your one of few who listen to Whitlock in this city.

ROFL The response to this should be good.

jcroft
11-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Dawes is a blogger like Joson Kottke and Meg Hourihan are NFL running backs.

KCTitus
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM

Actually, it makes very little sense...I see KK, JH and JW all of the same stripe.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-18-2004, 11:28 AM
"This is nothing but crap from the mouth of a moron. Kietzman and Harry are good........"

change the period to a coma

"This is nothing but crap from the mouth of a moron, Kietzman and Harry are good........ "

ROFL

morphius
11-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Yeah, saying Keitzman and Harry are good when compared to Whitlock, is like comparing while dung pile over another, its obviously a lose lose situation.

Mr. Laz
11-18-2004, 11:35 AM
the NFL’s back in bed with the soulless entertainment industry

and yet another hypocritical,right wing,retard, piece of crap that's attached to the chiefs organization shows his fangs.

Carl
Dick
Rufus/Bob Moore

The Bad Guy
11-18-2004, 11:41 AM
The Chiefs are a sad, sad organization.

They are a big fish in a little pond and they think they can attack any media that disagrees with the way the organization or team is ran.

I'd love to see Bob Moore and his napoleon complex survive as a PR spinmaster in New York, Philly, or LA.

gblowfish
11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Rufus is a major tool. And anyone who would use a pen name on the internet is lame.
Sincerely,
George Blowfish

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Rufus is a major tool. And anyone who would use a pen name on the internet is lame.
Sincerely,
George Blowfish
You mean that's not your real name?

My world is crumbling around me.

Spicy McHaggis
11-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Jack Harry just pisses the royal f-bomb outta me. That guy is a complete imposter as a journalist.

Sig Kauffman
11-18-2004, 01:04 PM
maybe if the Chiefs played better, they wouldn't need to worry about what the media thinks of them.

ROYC75
11-18-2004, 01:14 PM
You mean that's not your real name?

My world is crumbling around me.

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Rufus Dawes is a moron....and so is whoever writes that column.

The organization takes us for a fool too; but puttin' that crap on their site.... :shake: