PDA

View Full Version : Where do you like to sit on a commercial airplane?

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Poll coming. I'm bored.

Donger
11-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Poll coming. I'm bored.

There better be a "on the wing" option.

ZepSinger
11-18-2004, 10:07 AM
There better be a "on the wing" option.

Wing for me too man. Most structurally sound part of the plane.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Yeah, but the wing is cold and windy, and there's not enough oxygen.

Cochise
11-18-2004, 10:10 AM
I dunno, never been on one.

Donger
11-18-2004, 10:11 AM
I dunno, never been on one.

Really? Dang.

I fly every week.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm a rear aisle kind of guy. I like to keep an eye on what's going on, plus I've heard that the odds of surviving are better if there's an "incident" since the tail section sometimes breaks off during a crash landing and thus separates from the fuel. Also, at the rear of the plane, I can be close to an emergency exit, and I usually don't have to fight the vagrants who try to put their stuff in my overhead bin.

KCTitus
11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Window or Aisle...screw that damned middle seat. I usually end up in the middle of the plane except for the 3 rare times I got free ups to first class.

bideau
11-18-2004, 10:13 AM
As long as I'm not near the window. I don't want to see how far I'm gonna fall when the tail breaks off (that scene was played too many times on "Lost").

Donger
11-18-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm a rear aisle kind of guy. I like to keep an eye on what's going on, plus I've heard that the odds of surviving are better if there's an "incident" since the tail section sometimes breaks off during a crash landing and thus separates from the fuel. Also, at the rear of the plane, I can be close to an emergency exit, and I usually don't have to fight the vagrants who try to put their stuff in my overhead bin.

Window seat near the front for me.

I usually nap when I'm flying, so I hate aisle seats, especially at the rear of the plane. Keep getting disturbed by the FAs, and all the damn people that can't hold their bladder for an hour and a half.

ZepSinger
11-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Yeah, but the wing is cold and windy, and there's not enough oxygen.

True. And it gives monsters a perch as well..

http://www.eonline.com/Celebs/Qa/Shatner/Images/4b.shat.jpg

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Window or Aisle...screw that damned middle seat. I usually end up in the middle of the plane except for the 3 rare times I got free ups to first class.

I don't particularly fly a lot, but I have never, ever, ever gotten an upgrade to first class. How have you managed to swing it three times? Is there a pattern in when it happened?

I was on a one-hour flight a couple of months ago, and they offered at the gate upgrades to first class for $29. I did it just for grins, but that was a pretty high hourly rate in retrospect.

cadmonkey
11-18-2004, 10:19 AM
I like the window away from a wing so I can see the country below. Or I like to sit on the pilot's lap!

KCTitus
11-18-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't particularly fly a lot, but I have never, ever, ever gotten an upgrade to first class. How have you managed to swing it three times? Is there a pattern in when it happened?

I was on a one-hour flight a couple of months ago, and they offered at the gate upgrades to first class for $29. I did it just for grins, but that was a pretty high hourly rate in retrospect.

The company I work for got free ups from one carrier, when I booked travel through the travel services group they would give me first class if it was available.

Typically I booked travel 1-2 days prior to the actual flight so I just got lucky.

Company policy changed that a few years ago, but now the company has it's own planes...which is even better because you can show up at the hangar 10 minutes before take off and not have the hassle of the airport.

el borracho
11-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Emergency aisle because it often has the most legroom.

nmt1
11-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Aisle seat. I like to sit in the front so I'm one of the first to de-plane but you usually get stuck checking your carry on because of all the morons who carried on baby seats, guitars, and the vast majority or their wardrobes and took up all the space in the overhead bins.
I've been upgraded to 1st class at the gate only once but I've been able to score upgrade coupons on at least 5 occasions. I flew 1st class from Philly to The Capitol of the South a few years back and had an entire beer before we took off, two more before we landed too. No charge for them either. That was sweet! This was all pre 9-11 though.
I really hate flying. It's like riding on a bus.

Patriot 21
11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
First class. You meet some interesting people there too. One time I sat beside Sam Donaldson between Dallas and Albuquerque, then took a puddle jumper from there to Roswell with him. Without a doubt the weirdest person I ever sat beside.

Sat by Joe Gibbs once....a real gentleman. :thumb:

HolyHandgernade
11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Jump seat with the pilots.

-HH

Cochise
11-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Really? Dang.

I fly every week.

Nope... not afraid of planes or anything, my family just always drove everywhere.

I have been in a helicopter though, if that counts.

Donger
11-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Nope... not afraid of planes or anything, my family just always drove everywhere.

I have been in a helicopter though, if that counts.

You should try it. As much as I fly, I still enjoy being up there.

And, helicopters DON'T fly; they beat the air into submission!

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
First class. You meet some interesting people there too. One time I sat beside Sam Donaldson between Dallas and Albuquerque, then took a puddle jumper from there to Roswell with him. Without a doubt the weirdest person I ever sat beside.

Weird how? Muttering nuclear secrets weird, or defecating on the food cart weird?

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Depends. If I don't have any carryone luggage, I like to sit up by the front door... so I can get on and off quickly. Lack of hassle is my chief concern.

If I have a carryon, I generally sit in the first seat that has a open spot in the overhead bin above it (I usually fly Southwest... so you pick your seat when you get on).

On airlines where you pick you seat when buying your ticket, I generally go for an aisle seat.

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
I was upgraded to first class once. Was flying America West from Phoenix to Minneapolis. The flight was overbooked... and for awhile it looked like I wasn't even going to get on. Then, not only did I get a seat.. but, it was in first class. Whoo-hoo!

They ran out of JD during the flight and i had to switch whiskeys. One of the flights I've been on when I got to hear the question... "Are you driving when you land?"

Hell, man, the whiskey was free. Damn right I was getting as much as possible.

Phobia
11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
It appears as though John Madden has voted twice.

catfish307
11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
I usually sit on the can shi**ing my brains out. When I'm done with that I usually try to find a stewardess who will let me sit on her lap.

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
I find the responses about sitting where most structurally sound amusing. If I was that concerned about the plane falling apart/crashing/whatever, I just wouldn't fly.

If the plane's gonna go down, it's gonna go down. I can't control it. I'm not going to consistently choose a seat I might not normally otherwise just so that on the offchance there's a disaster, I'll have a slightly better chance of survival.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 10:57 AM
As your plane is corkscrewing toward a cornfield someday, your life will flash before your eyes, and you'll think, "Rain Man was right about sitting in the back."

StcChief
11-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Emergency row with 6 inches more leg room.

Donger
Depends. If I don't have any carryone luggage, I like to sit up by the front door... so I can get on and off quickly. Lack of hassle is my chief concern.

If I have a carryon, I generally sit in the first seat that has a open spot in the overhead bin above it (I usually fly Southwest... so you pick your seat when you get on).

On airlines where you pick you seat when buying your ticket, I generally go for an aisle seat.

I heard a rumor that Southwest is seriously contemplating assigning seats in the near future.

ENDelt260
As your plane is corkscrewing toward a cornfield someday

I'll find myself thinking, "Whoa... no more whiskey for me. The f*cking room is spinning."

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 11:01 AM
I heard a rumor that Southwest is seriously contemplating assigning seats in the near future.
That really wouldn't bother me. The non-assigned seats thing used to bother the hell out of me... but, I got over it. Southwest is just cheaper than all the other airlines most of the time. Not to mention, their hub is in Phoenix, so there's tons of flights going out of there. I could catch a flight to San Diego or Vegas on a spur of the moment for under a c-note... and they're leaving like every half hour.

Donger
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
That really wouldn't bother me. The non-assigned seats thing used to bother the hell out of me... but, I got over it. Southwest is just cheaper than all the other airlines most of the time. Not to mention, their hub is in Phoenix, so there's tons of flights going out of there. I could catch a flight to San Diego or Vegas on a spur of the moment for under a c-note... and they're leaving like every half hour.

I haven't flown Southwest since I left KC, but I never liked not having an assigned seat. Just another damn, unnecessary hassle. I used to fly them all the time, and lost count of how many times I got stuck in the middle seat because I didn't manage to get to the gate six hours before the damn flight left.

After all the BS after 9/11, I think I'd like it even less now.

ptlyon
11-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Or I like to sit on the pilot's lap!

So... cad... do you like gladiator movies?

Patriot 21
11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
defecating on the food cart weird?

Yeah that kind of weird......actually he was just all paranoid acting, like someone was looking at him. ROFL He sat there and made these little squeaking noises with his voice all during both flights.

He was just a very strange individual.

ck_IN
11-18-2004, 11:12 AM
You didn't explicitly mention my favourite. I always try to get the aisle seat in the emergancy exit. That provides the most room. Also if I were inclined it would give me the first chance to get off the plane should something happen. The person sitting next to the window would lose time opening the door. I could squeeze right by him. If I were so inclined. :p

Phobia
11-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Kevin's poll skills are on the decline.

cadmonkey
11-18-2004, 11:32 AM
As your plane is corkscrewing toward a cornfield someday, your life will flash before your eyes, and you'll think, "Rain Man was right about sitting in the back."

Right, cuz the back of the plane won't slam into the ground as hard a s the front.

Braincase
11-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I spent 6 years flying everywhere, and I'll do whatever it takes to get an upgrade.

ptlyon
11-18-2004, 11:40 AM
I spent 6 years flying everywhere, and I'll do whatever it takes to get an upgrade.

Whatever it takes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by cadmonkey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROFL

Braincase
11-18-2004, 11:42 AM
They ran out of JD during the flight

I did a double-take when I read that the first time... like they ran somebody off the flight. ROFL

Braincase
11-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Whatever it takes?

Originally Posted by cadmonkey

ROFL

I have my limits... but with the current influx of female pilots, there may be that option in the future. Might be safer for her if she sits on my lap though.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 11:49 AM

You're right. I'm outta material. The well's dry. I think I might have to move to some other BB where everyone hasn't heard my stories and voted on my polls a hundred times already.

Donger
11-18-2004, 11:49 AM
I have my limits... but with the current influx of female pilots, there may be that option in the future. Might be safer for her if she sits on my lap though.

I had a really rough flight last week. Bumpy as hell most of the way; bad enough that a bunch of folks let out a few good screams/yelps.

It was just as bad on approach, and I figured that it was going to be a really rough landing. To my surprise, the pilot absolutely kissed the runway.

I grabbed my stuff and walked towards the front of the plane (like you do), and there stood one of the pilots. As I passed him, I said, "Fantastic landing." He just smiled and gestured out the door, and said, "Wasn't me. She landed the plane." And there stood one of the best-looking women I've ever seen.

ptlyon
11-18-2004, 11:51 AM
I had a really rough flight last week. Bumpy as hell most of the way; bad enough that a bunch of folks let out a few good screams/yelps.

It was just as bad on approach, and I figured that it was going to be a really rough landing. To my surprise, the pilot absolutely kissed the runway.

I grabbed my stuff and walked towards the front of the plane (like you do), and there stood one of the pilots. As I passed him, I said, "Fantastic landing." He just smiled and gestured out the door, and said, "Wasn't me. She landed the plane." And there stood one of the best-looking women I've ever seen.

Damn. We've got hot chick pilots flying into Sioux City?

I've got to spend more time at the airport bar...

Phobia
11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
And there stood one of the best-looking women I've ever seen.

You didn't ask for a tour of her cockpit?

Assuming I had recently washed my legs, that would have been the first thing out of my mouth.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Right, cuz the back of the plane won't slam into the ground as hard a s the front.

I've given this a lot of thought. I think that when the front of the plane hits, it'll cause a huge explosion, pushing a force upwards. This will partially counterbalance the momentum of the back of the plane going upwards. I figure that if I jump at exactly the right time, I can balance between those two forces and walk away unharmed.

Donger
11-18-2004, 11:56 AM
You didn't ask for a tour of her cockpit?

ROFL

Hey, someone had to say it!

No. In all honesty, I was floored. Enough so that I was speechless. I just gave her a smile, undoubtedly a goofy one. She really was stunning. Add to that the fact that she flies aircraft for a living (and that she didn't kill me) = Goofy Donger.

I guess it's kind of sexist of me, not that I really give a sh*t.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 11:57 AM

A couple of months ago, I was going out to California, and the woman in front of me was just a crybaby. The plane was hitting some really rough turbulence while we were still pretty low, and she was wailing "Oh god, oh god, oh god," pretty loudly. It was all I could do to keep from leaning forward and saying something like, "I'm a pilot. This plane's about to go down."

ENDelt260
Shoulda gave her a swat on the butt and said, "Good job, toots."

Otter
I've given this a lot of thought. I think that when the front of the plane hits, it'll cause a huge explosion, pushing a force upwards. This will partially counterbalance the momentum of the back of the plane going upwards. I figure that if I jump at exactly the right time, I can balance between those two forces and walk away unharmed.
Or get to lay on top of the other corpses while waiting for the jet fuel to finally burn to a major organ.

Donger
11-18-2004, 11:58 AM

When I was a youngster, I thought that if I were in an elevator that was falling, I could just jump went it the ground floor, and all would be well.

Damn those cartoons.

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 11:58 AM
A couple of months ago, I was going out to California, and the woman in front of me was just a crybaby. The plane was hitting some really rough turbulence while we were still pretty low, and she was wailing "Oh god, oh god, oh god," pretty loudly. It was all I could do to keep from leaning forward and saying something like, "I'm a pilot. This plane's about to go down."
ROFL

That would've been awesome.

Braincase
11-18-2004, 12:00 PM
ROFL

Hey, someone had to say it!

No. In all honesty, I was floored. Enough so that I was speechless. I just gave her a smile, undoubtedly a goofy one. She really was stunning. Add to that the fact that she flies aircraft for a living (and that she didn't kill me) = Goofy Donger.

I guess it's kind of sexist of me, not that I really give a sh*t.

You can always tel the diff between an Air Force pilot and a Navy pilot - those swabbies love their slam-the-runway carrier landings.

Donger
11-18-2004, 12:02 PM

ROFL

A couple of years ago, I was on a pond hopper flight from Shreveport to DFW. I was sitting next to a kid, probably 16 or so, who looked really nervous. I started talking to him and sure enough, it was his first flight, and he was scared sh*tless.

Well, it was a really bumpy ride. I look over at the kid and say, "This isn't normal. Something's wrong."

He promptly vomited all over the seat in front of him.

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 12:03 PM
ROFL

A couple of years ago, I was on a pond hopper flight from Shreveport to DFW. I was sitting next to a kid, probably 16 or so, who looked really nervous. I started talking to him and sure enough, it was his first flight, and he was scared sh*tless.

Well, it was a really bumpy ride. I look over at the kid and say, "This isn't normal. Something's wrong."

ROFL That ain't right. Poor kid.

"Hey man... hey man... if one of these engines goes out, how far will the other one take us?"

"All the way to the scene of the crash."

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 12:04 PM
"All the way to the scene of the crash."

Which is handy... cuz that's where we're headed.

ENDelt260
Which is handy... cuz that's where we're headed.
I bet we beat the paramedics there by a half-hour.

ENDelt260
I bet we beat the paramedics there by a half-hour.
We are haulin' ass!

BIG_DADDY
11-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Where's the first class option?

Donger
11-18-2004, 12:09 PM
For those of you that get nervous when you fly...

When are you most nervous?

Takeoff, cruising or landing?

Donger
11-18-2004, 12:11 PM
We are haulin' ass!

ROFL

I actually felt badly for the kid. He was really embarassed.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 12:13 PM

ROFL

While I wouldn't say that I get nervous on flights, the takeoff is statistically far more dangerous than the other segments. I'm therefore most "interested" during takeoffs, but even at that I don't really worry about it.

Donger
11-18-2004, 12:17 PM
ROFL

While I wouldn't say that I get nervous on flights, the takeoff is statistically far more dangerous than the other segments. I'm therefore most "interested" during takeoffs, but even at that I don't really worry about it.

Actually, that's wrong. Landings are FAR more dangerous.

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 12:18 PM
For those two or three folks on here that don't know... I stole that bit from Ron White.

https://secure.wbhst.com/tatersalad2com/images/drunk-cd-lg.jpg (http://www.tatersalad.com)

Donger
11-18-2004, 12:26 PM
For those two or three folks on here that don't know... I stole that bit from Ron White.

https://secure.wbhst.com/tatersalad2com/images/drunk-cd-lg.jpg (http://www.tatersalad.com)

Never heard of him.

R&GHomer
11-18-2004, 12:28 PM
It's all about getting on and off the plane as quickly as possible. Aisle seat up front is preferred, but a window seat is ok. I absolutely hate it when I get stuck in the middle.

Skip Towne
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
They should just take all those middle seats out. Nobody wants them.

Donger
11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
They should just take all those middle seats out. Nobody wants them.

One of the reasons that I love regional jets. No middle seats.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Actually, that's wrong. Landings are FAR more dangerous.

Heh-heh. I guess that's true if you count every time the plane comes down as a landing.

Donger
11-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Heh-heh. I guess that's true if you count every time the plane comes down as a landing.

No, seriously. Something like 60% of all airline accidents occur during the landing process. The other 35% during takeoff (5% while cruising).

It's inevitable. On takeoff, the planes at max power. On landing, just a few knots above stall speed. One good, sudden gust of tailwind, and the plane will stall. Stalling's bad a few hundred feet off the ground. Also, bird ingestion on takeoff is bad, but during landing, extremely bad.

Count Zarth
11-18-2004, 05:12 PM
I've been on roughly 25 planes in my lifetime and sat in coach everytime. Usually in a window seat or the aisle window seat.

I really didn't see anything wrong with it.

I haven't been on a plane in quite some time, however. I guess the last time was when I was 12 or 13.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 05:19 PM
No, seriously. Something like 60% of all airline accidents occur during the landing process. The other 35% during takeoff (5% while cruising).

It's inevitable. On takeoff, the planes at max power. On landing, just a few knots above stall speed. One good, sudden gust of tailwind, and the plane will stall. Stalling's bad a few hundred feet off the ground. Also, bird ingestion on takeoff is bad, but during landing, extremely bad.

Hmm. I'm not sure I agree. Taking off, you have a lot of fuel and weight, your engines are usually running high, and you're moving away from a good landing area. Also, if there was a maintenance screwup, bad things will happen sooner rather than later.

When you're landing, you're on a glide path anyway, you're lighter, and you've got excess power you can call upon.

Donger
11-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree. Taking off, you have a lot of fuel and weight, your engines are usually running high, and you're moving away from a good landing area. Also, if there was a maintenance screwup, bad things will happen sooner rather than later.

When you're landing, you're on a glide path anyway, you're lighter, and you've got excess power you can call upon.

Welp, the stats disagree.

Jenson71
11-18-2004, 05:21 PM
I went on a plane when I was 8. I was comfortable. I'm flying to Europe this spring though, and I bet I'll be like that 16 year old Donger freaked out.

John_Wayne
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
I like to sit by the window. One time, during a lightening storm, I looked out the window and saw Big Daddy sitting on the wing tearing apart the jet engine!!

Donger
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
I went on a plane when I was 8. I was comfortable. I'm flying to Europe this spring though, and I bet I'll be like that 16 year old Donger freaked out.

You should be freaked out. Europe's a sh*thole.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 05:33 PM

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/database.htm

Knock yourself out.

I'm headed out the door, so I just browsed at the 2003 crashes, and of the 22 that were (more or less) clearly identified as occurring near takeoff or landing, 14 occurred during takeoff. There are a few more beyond the 22 that could possibly be considered "landing" but they were more things like hitting a mountain during the descent, which I didn't really consider to be the landing segment.

I didn't look at the likelihood of survival within crashes, which would be another interesting twist.

Actually, more crashes seemed to occur during the mid-air portion of the flight, surprisingly, but if you look at risk per flight minute, of course that segment's going to be way longer than landing or takeoff.

Donger
11-18-2004, 05:37 PM
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/database.htm

Knock yourself out.

I'm headed out the door, so I just browsed at the 2003 crashes, and of the 22 that were (more or less) clearly identified as occurring near takeoff or landing, 14 occurred during takeoff. There are a few more beyond the 22 that could possibly be considered "landing" but they were more things like hitting a mountain during the descent, which I didn't really consider to be the landing segment.

I didn't look at the likelihood of survival within crashes, which would be another interesting twist.

Actually, more crashes seemed to occur during the mid-air portion of the flight, surprisingly, but if you look at risk per flight minute, of course that segment's going to be way longer than landing or takeoff.

Dang. That's some impressive data. Would be nice if they gave a summary.

Here's what I found, from Boeing:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/safety/pf/faq.html

Are some parts of a flight more at risk?

Some parts are riskier than others, although none are anywhere near as risky as many of the other things people do regularly (like drive a car).

Airplane travel consists of three phases:

* Takeoff and climb.
* Cruise.
* Descent, approach and landing.

Looking at accident rates for each phase, cruise is the safest part of flying. Only about 6 percent of all accidents occur during this phase. Approximately 35 percent of all accidents occur during takeoff and climb. Nearly 60 percent of accidents occur during descent, approach and landing.

Because so few accidents occur during cruise, long flights are not significantly riskier than short ones. If anything, a single, long, nonstop flight is safer than multiple short flights.

Jenson71
11-18-2004, 05:38 PM

How's Paris?

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Hmm. In fairness, it looks like 16 of the 25 crashes in 2002 that can be positively identified as occurring on takeoff or landing occurred during landing.

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 05:45 PM
How's Paris?
Filled with french.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Looking at accident rates for each phase, cruise is the safest part of flying. Only about 6 percent of all accidents occur during this phase. Approximately 35 percent of all accidents occur during takeoff and climb. Nearly 60 percent of accidents occur during descent, approach and landing.

Interesting. Maybe we're defining things differently. When I was stating that takeoffs were more risky, I wasn't counting emergency landings because something had blown out during the cruise as part of the landing phase. I was just considering a normal landing where things suddenly go wrong. So maybe I'm just thinking about it differently. I would agree that seems reasonable that you'd have more landing crashes if that's the case.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 05:46 PM
How's Paris?

Paris is the world's greatest city. No doubt about it.

Jenson71
11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Filled with french.

I've heard those rumors. So it really is true?

Jenson71
11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Paris is the world's greatest city. No doubt about it.

Cool. 2 days spent there.

Then Versailles, Normandy, Verdun, bunch of little battlefields...

Uncle Jesse
11-18-2004, 05:55 PM
I like to burst into the cockpit and squeeze in between the pilots

Funny how they always freak out when I do that

Donger
11-18-2004, 07:08 PM
How's Paris?

The Germans seemed to like it. Maybe you should ask them.

Donger
11-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Cool. 2 days spent there.

Then Versailles, Normandy, Verdun, bunch of little battlefields...

Good for you. If you like/appreciate history, you'll enjoy those. The French also seem to be less "French" in those areas as well.

Inspector
11-18-2004, 07:28 PM
"Where do you like to sit on a commercial airplane?"

Inside

CosmicPal
11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
I love flying!

Having a father who's now retired as an international pilot- I've had the awesome liberty of being able to fly often. When all the other Deadheads were driving around the country in VW busses, I was flying to anywhere USA- sometimes just for the hell of it.

One time I freaked out when (before my dad went international and was domestic), I was sitting by the window on the ramp as the captain (my dad) introduced the flight procedures over the intercom. He then said his name and then invited me up to the cockpit! I had no idea I was riding with my dad at the helm! It was the kewlest thing then. He let me push the plane out to the runway before I had to return to my seat- no way in hell was I going to be responsible for the take-off and the lives of 200 passengers. :D

Skip Towne
11-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Link? I would have said take off as well.

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Okay, I'm back. Coincidentally, I found myself talking to the pilot of a twin-engine plane at a business event tonight, and I asked him whether takeoff or landing is more dangerous. He said landing is more dangerous, so there. I'm right. And there's no reason for anyone to go back in this thread and find past quotes to bring up just to embarrass anyone.

(Looking furtively left and right.)

Donger
11-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Link? I would have said take off as well.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/safety/pf/faq.html

Donger
11-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Okay, I'm back. Coincidentally, I found myself talking to the pilot of a twin-engine plane at a business event tonight, and I asked him whether takeoff or landing is more dangerous. He said landing is more dangerous, so there. I'm right. And there's no reason for anyone to go back in this thread and find past quotes to bring up just to embarrass anyone.

(Looking furtively left and right.)

I've no idea what you're talking about.

BTW, did you ask him why?

digi2fish
11-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Wing for me too man. Most structurally sound part of the plane.

Coolest avatar I've ever seen, Zep
rep is on the way.
:thumb:

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I've no idea what you're talking about.

BTW, did you ask him why?

He mentioned wind shears and weather, just like you - er, I (heh, heh) - did. He also said something interesting, which is that landings are less risky in smaller planes because they can power up instantly. In large jets, he said it can take you up to five seconds to get the power to do what you need to do in an emergency, which is a long time if you're headed toward a crash.

All of this was my learning experience of the day. I would've sworn that takeoff was usually more dangerous.

digi2fish
11-18-2004, 08:47 PM
window seats in front
it would be the quietest place on the plane

digi2fish
11-18-2004, 09:04 PM

I said, we Chiefs are losing all our mojo....
:deevee: :banghead:

cheeeefs
11-18-2004, 10:38 PM
damn, I was getting all excited at being able to side with Donger and add my input to prove Rain Man wro... right on the rare occasion that he is wro..ight. Then Rainman had to dash my hopes by proving himself right... yet again.

Miles
11-18-2004, 10:52 PM

How so? I spent a summer there in 03 and loved it for the most part. Plenty of badass cities and great party spots. However there are definitly some shithole areas depending on where you go.

Good for you. If you like/appreciate history, you'll enjoy those. The French also seem to be less "French" in those areas as well.

Yeah i noticed that too. Outside of Paris and especially Lyon, the French asshole thing wasnt that bad.

Miles
11-18-2004, 10:58 PM
The aisle seats towards the front are the way to go. Best legroom but you risk geting banged by the damn drink cart if you fall asleep.

The best seat on international flights (on the larger planes) is the asile seat in the center. That way you can stretch you legs out under the curtain and infring on the people flying in first class. Your feet will love hanging out in 1st class.

Saggysack
11-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Aisle seat, front of the plane, if I pay for the seat.

And if it is a free seat, I don't give a damn where it is. Just get me there in one piece.

Saggysack
11-18-2004, 11:29 PM
One of the reasons that I love regional jets. No middle seats.

Those damn CRJ's give me fits. Feels like I'm have to bend over going down the aisle because there isn't enough headroom. Never seem to be enough leg room and forget about going to the pissour. Might as well pee in your complimentary coke can. And WTF, can't they make a big enough overhead box for a decent sized carry-on?

Saggysack
11-18-2004, 11:32 PM

There are sh*tholes everywhere. East St. Louis and Oakland are 2 fine examples.

David.
11-19-2004, 12:30 AM
shit I effed up, I like window in the MIDDLE of the airplane, not middle seat

Fairplay
11-19-2004, 02:16 AM
I like the front asile seat, next would be front window seat.

Worst is towards the back middle seat.

Saggysack
11-19-2004, 02:49 AM
www.seatguru.com

Donger
11-19-2004, 08:04 AM
How so? I spent a summer there in 03 and loved it for the most part. Plenty of badass cities and great party spots. However there are definitly some shithole areas depending on where you go.

It's full of Europeans.

Donger
11-19-2004, 08:07 AM
He mentioned wind shears and weather, just like you - er, I (heh, heh) - did. He also said something interesting, which is that landings are less risky in smaller planes because they can power up instantly. In large jets, he said it can take you up to five seconds to get the power to do what you need to do in an emergency, which is a long time if you're headed toward a crash.

All of this was my learning experience of the day. I would've sworn that takeoff was usually more dangerous.

I really think that it's a matter of psychology. On takeoff, you're going from the normal to the abnormal. Opposite's true on landing.

Donger
11-19-2004, 08:10 AM
There are sh*tholes everywhere. East St. Louis and Oakland are 2 fine examples.

Yes, but they haven't been sh*tholes since the Middle Ages.

ENDelt260
11-19-2004, 08:48 AM
The aisle seats towards the front are the way to go. Best legroom but you risk geting banged by the damn drink cart if you fall asleep.

How do you think I know when to order a Crown & Coke?