PDA

View Full Version : Owens apologizes for role in MNF skit

Donger
11-18-2004, 01:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/11/18/bc.fbn.owens.mnfapology.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Terrell Owens apologized Thursday to anyone offended by his role in a steamy segment with actress Nicollette Sheridan for the intro to Monday Night Football.

"I felt like it was clean, the organization felt like it was a clean skit and I think it just really got taken out of context with a lot of people and I apologize for that," Owens said. "Personally I didn't think it would have offended anyone and, if it did, I apologize."

ABC and the Eagles also apologized this week, with the team saying they wished the segment "hadn't aired."

The opening, which has generated complaints to ABC and the Federal Communications Commission, showed Sheridan wearing only a towel and provocatively asking Owens to skip the game for her as the two stood alone in a locker room. She drops the towel and jumps into Owens' arms.

Owens had no idea the intro would create such a backlash.

"I thought it was a fun skit and that was it," Owens said.

Owens, a flashy player known for his outrageous touchdown celebrations, seemed to believe the skit was generating controversy because of his participation, not because of simulated nudity.

"Anything I get involved with, I'm obviously a target," he said. "It happened."

Reaction has ranged from amusement to anger. Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy found it racially offensive; Owens is black and Sheridan is white.

Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb wasn't quite as vocal, saying he didn't find the segment offensive and believed people were overreacting. Michael Powell, chairman of the FCC, questioned ABC's judgment in airing the scene.

When asked if he was shocked the story was making the front page of newspapers around the country, Owens quipped, "I always make the front page."

KcMizzou
11-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Heh... All this fuss... :rolleyes:

Rain Man
11-18-2004, 01:14 PM
No apology is necessary.

KCJohnny
11-18-2004, 01:19 PM
That is not an apology.

Brock
11-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Of all the things Owens should apologize for, that isn't one of them.

Braincase
11-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I guess I missed the description of her nakedness... what did TO have to say about those funbags?

TEX
11-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I still can't believe the incident offended anyone.

Donger
11-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy found it racially offensive; Owens is black and Sheridan is white.

I just want to know why Dungy found it to be racially offensive.

ENDelt260
That is not an apology.
It was the perfect apology...

"I'm very sorry for those of you that couldn't laugh at the skit because of your own personal hangups rather than the fact that it just wasn't very funny."

ENDelt260
I just want to know why Dungy found it to be racially offensive.
Because he's an idiot.

Oh, I mean victim.

gblowfish
11-18-2004, 01:23 PM
They should have used Janet Jackson as the actress.
Now THAT would stir the S*%Tstorm!!

MichaelH
11-18-2004, 01:25 PM
What a sad state this country has become when something as stupid as that requires an apology. Next thing you know, all Bugs Bunny cartoons will be banned for offending someone. :cuss:

stevieray
11-18-2004, 01:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/11/18/bc.fbn.owens.mnfapology.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- "I always make the front page."

Like this isn't his goal.

I do not get the fascination with this guy.

Phobia
11-18-2004, 01:28 PM

I do not get the fascination with this guy.

Really? He's a great player and cameras love him. What's not to get?

Phobia
11-18-2004, 01:29 PM
I guess I missed the description of her nakedness... what did TO have to say about those funbags?

He said "Oooooh, where did you get those?"

ENDelt260
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM

I'm sure he said it with a smirk.

stevieray
11-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Really? He's a great player and cameras love him. What's not to get?

Because most of his BS has nothing to do with playing the game. I just don't relate.

Donger
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Reaction ranged from amusement to anger. Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy found it racially offensive.

"To me that's the first thing I thought of as an African-American," Dungy said Wednesday.

"I think it's stereotypical in looking at the players, and on the heels of the Kobe Bryant incident I think it's very insensitive. I don't think that they would have had Bill Parcells or Andy Reid or one of the owners involved in that," he added, a reference to the coaches in the game.

ABC's intro showed Sheridan wearing only a towel and provocatively asking Owens to skip the game for her as the two stood alone in a locker room. She drops the towel and jumps into Owens' arms. Owens is black and Sheridan is white.

"If that's what we have to do to get ratings, I'd rather not get them," Dungy said. "I realize that ratings pays us in this league, but if that's what we have to do, I'm willing to take a pay cut."

KCTitus
11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
I have to agree with FDE...for the last 2 months, there has been a different TO story that ESPN has talked about nonstop.

Im frankly sick of hearing about the man.

tk13
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm not a huge Owens fan, but you have to give him credit because unlike most trash talkers he backs his mouth up 100%. Every week he's been in there playing hard and producing as well as or better than any WR in this league. Nobody can stop him and his team might be playing in Jacksonville in February... he's not going away.

Brock
11-18-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm not a huge Owens fan, but you have to give him credit because unlike most trash talkers he backs his mouth up 100%. Every week he's been in there playing hard and producing as well as or better than any WR in this league.

No kidding. Best receiver in the league bar none, and doesn't get in trouble off the field like Randy Moss.

stevieray
11-18-2004, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=tk13]I'm not a huge Owens fan, but you have to give him credit because unlike most trash talkers he backs his mouth up 100%. Every week he's been in there playing hard and producing as well as or better than any WR in this league. QUOTE]

The new five yard rule doesn't hurt either. To be honest, I think that rule sells out defenses and diminishes the accomplishments of qb's and wr's.

same with rb's...alot of the increase in yardage is due to hitting instead of tackling. Which goes right back to TO. too many players pandering to the camera, where every tackle or catch or run is worthy of some goofy ass dance. Almost on every play.

Phobia
11-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Because most of his BS has nothing to do with playing the game. I just don't relate.

This is how he sets himself apart from his peers. He's provides entertainment value in addition to his amazing athletic ability.

A large portion of the stuff we talk about at ChiefsPlanet has nothing to do with the game, but it's still one of the best football BB's on the internet. Why? Because there is an additional entertainment dynamic.

I always try to show my clients that I provide more than my competitors even if it has nothing to do with the job. Whether you realize it or not, you probably do the same.

Phobia
11-18-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm not a huge Owens fan, but you have to give him credit because unlike most trash talkers he backs his mouth up 100%. Every week he's been in there playing hard and producing as well as or better than any WR in this league. Nobody can stop him and his team might be playing in Jacksonville in February... he's not going away.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons I like him. I don't like trash talking that can't be backed up.

stevieray
11-18-2004, 02:04 PM
This is how he sets himself apart from his peers. He's provides entertainment value in addition to his amazing athletic ability.

A large portion of the stuff we talk about at ChiefsPlanet has nothing to do with the game, but it's still one of the best football BB's on the internet. Why? Because there is an additional entertainment dynamic.

I always try to show my clients that I provide more than my competitors even if it has nothing to do with the job. Whether you realize it or not, you probably do the same.

our opinions on what entertainment is differs.

I don't dispute his ability.

Braincase
11-18-2004, 02:12 PM
How long before FDE shows up at a game and pulls a Sharpie out of his sock?

R&GHomer
11-18-2004, 02:13 PM
I'll give TO his props for being one, "if not the best" WR in the league, but his antics are getting tiresome. I still havenít gotten over the touchdown celebration on the Cowboys star. I hate the cowpucks, but that was a jack ass thing to do. Autographing the football, and most his other antics; although irritating, donít bother me to much.

Phobia
11-18-2004, 02:20 PM
our opinions on what entertainment is differs.

I don't dispute his ability.

The only difference between you and TO is that you're paying $75 to get in the gate and he's being paid half a mill per game to entertain people like you.

ChiefFripp
11-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Was there any actual nudity ?

Phobia
11-18-2004, 02:23 PM
No.

Sure-Oz
11-18-2004, 02:25 PM
I would've agreed to the skit, i think its bs esp the racist angle wtf??

jspchief
11-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Apparently it's entertaining to some people. Not me. I think the guy is a jerk, and everything he does comes off that way. Maybe I'm just stuck in my biased opinion, but I don't think I'll ever be able to look at what he does (non-football) as entertaining.

He's egotistical. He'll walk all over anyone to serve his own needs. He just doesn't exhibit traits that I consider valuable when judging someone's character. I'd love to ignore his character and just enjot his athletic skills, but neither the media or TO will let me.

He's a guy that Karma hasn't caught up to yet. If what goes around truly does come around, he 's got a doozie coming around someday.

stevieray
11-18-2004, 03:02 PM
The only difference between you and TO is that you're paying $75 to get in the gate and he's being paid half a mill per game to entertain people like you.

No, what seperates us is his athletic ability, and that is what seperates him from his peers, not his "entertainment value".

Besides, there are ten other guys who contribute to his success.

I guess I'm just tiring of the individualism in "team" soprts.

I also beleive that is why even when PH and TG have success, they don't yearn for the spotlight, or do things to bring it upon them.

MOhillbilly
11-18-2004, 03:17 PM
its a non-issue.move on.

Demonpenz
11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I can't wait till the postseason to see if Ownes steps up his play or chokes. He has already made a historic catch for the 49ers. With the eagles getting to the playoffs he will have a chance to take his playing way above any other recievers in the game. An aspect that doens't get talked about too much about T.O. is blocking, I would have to rank him second behind hines ward in WR who can block. I think it's funny when i listen to NFL films and i hear "This guy was most know for his antics off the field rather than on it" I wonder if they will say "All of Ownes antics were on the field."

el borracho
11-18-2004, 03:27 PM
I didn't see the skit in question but, really, could it be any worse than the skit a year ago (a few years ago??) where one player held a camera over a bathroom stall where another player was sitting on the toilet?

Chiefs Pantalones
11-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Someone needs to slap Tony Dungy. Race has nothing to do with anything. It doesn't make sense as to why Tony would think any of this stuff is about race. WTF? Give me a break. When will black people stop pulling this crap?

P.S. I'm sorry about the slap Tony part, sense someone will say I wanted to slap him because he's black. Race card!! Race card!!! Cry me a river.

jspchief
11-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Someone needs to slap Tony Dungy. Race has nothing to do with anything. It doesn't make sense as to why Tony would think any of this stuff is about race. WTF? Give me a break. When will black people stop pulling this crap?

I agree that the race thing seems off base. Until I heard Jim Rome bring it up on Tuesday afternoon, it didn't even occur to me that it was inter-racial. Mixed couples have become so commonplace, it's not even a thought that comes into my head anymore.

Strange. Tony Dungy doesn't seem like the type to play the victim.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-18-2004, 04:28 PM
I agree that the race thing seems off base. Until I heard Jim Rome bring it up on Tuesday afternoon, it didn't even occur to me that it was inter-racial. Mixed couples have become so commonplace, it's not even a thought that comes into my head anymore.

Strange. Tony Dungy doesn't seem like the type to play the victim.

I forget about racism until someone all the sudden brings it up again for no dang reason. Tony is retarded.

KCChiefsMan
11-18-2004, 04:58 PM
the people who are offended by this are mostly old white men. They look at a white girl, hitting on a black guy. thats the bottom-line, these old-fashioned a-holes find that to be repulsive. If one of the white players on that team would have done that commercial it wouldn't have even made a single headline.

jspchief
11-18-2004, 05:06 PM
the people who are offended by this are mostly old white men. They look at a white girl, hitting on a black guy. thats the bottom-line, these old-fashioned a-holes find that to be repulsive. If one of the white players on that team would have done that commercial it wouldn't have even made a single headline.

I'm not sure I agree.

It sounds to me like the biggest complaint is in regards to parents getting ambushed by sexual overtones during programming that they consider family friendly. People tune into Monday Night Football expecting to see sports. In the past families could trust that it would be clean, acceptable programming for their children. While it may not have been overtly dirty or offensive, it certainly goes beyond what a parent expects their kids to be witnessing at that time slot on that night.