PDA

View Full Version : top 25 draft picks for next year

the Talking Can
11-18-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm bored and I just googled this, wondering who might be available if we have a top 10 pick....I hope to god we don't take another DL in the first 2 rounds, but I don't know squat about any of these people....or maybe we will win 7 straight ROFL

link (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/mock2005.html)

2005 NFL Draft Prospects
By: Robert Davis | Updated: 11/04/2004

1. Miami - Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami
-Since there will be trades on the real draft day, this pick may seem unlikely. Of all the guys at the top of the draft though, he may fit the biggest need for the Dolphins come draft time. I do not believe they will give up on A.J. Feeley after investing this years 2nd round pick on him, they have a solid group of receivers, and there is no offensive lineman worth this high a pick. Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison can be had through a trade, and Miami will get a very good pick for one of them. In order to keep their defense at a high level, they would need a quality corner to replace the traded veteran. With the pick(s) they get for one of their corners, along with what they get for Ricky Williams, they will address their woeful offense. The most realistic scenario for Miami if they are picking #1 would be a trade down.

2. San Francisco - Matt Leinart, QB, USC
-Defense is definitely the area they have to address, but a QB like Leinart is something San Francisco has needed for some time. Even though they have bigger needs, I can’t see the 49ers passing on Leinart, who reminds me a lot of Tom Brady. Like Miami, a trade down might be the best option for the 49ers.

3. Carolina - Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
-Carolina has really dropped off this year after their Super Bowl run last year, but injuries have a lot to do with that. With no offensive lineman worth this pick, I think they go with Derrick Johnson. He is an awesome playmaker at LB, and would really help upgrade their back 7 on defense.

4. Oakland - Mike Williams, WR, USC
-The Raiders really need help on offense, and Williams may be the best offensive talent in the draft. Oakland has gone with a youth movement at WR, but neither Ronald Curry nor Doug Gabriel are #1 targets. Al Davis loves USC players, and with no RB worth this high a pick, Mike Williams makes the most sense.

5. Tampa Bay - Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
-Tampa needs an upgrade on offense, and it starts with the offensive line. Brown has the ability to play either tackle spot, and is the best tackle available, even if it is a bit high for him.

6. Arizona - Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas
-Arizona needs a lot of help, and a big body in the middle of the DLine is right at the top. Wright will keep teams from running up the middle, as he is a major force up the middle.

7. Dallas(via Buf) - Antajj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
-Dallas gets this pick from Buffalo in an awesome draft day trade last season. A big body in the middle of their defensive line might be the biggest need for the Boys, and Hawthorne may be the best DT in the draft.

8. Chicago - Alex Barron, OT, Florida St.
-Chicago needs to address the OLine to help protect Grossman, and open up holes for Thomas Jones. Chicago has some talent on offense, they just need time and holes to execute. Barron could really help them improve their offensive output.

9. Washington - Matthias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
-Washington needs help on the perimeter with their pass rush, and Kiwanuka has the ability to be a big time playmaker at the position. With his athleticism and frame, he could be a pro bowler within a couple years.

10. Cincinnati - Ahmad Brooks, LB, Virginia
-Cincy has put together a nice collection of talent on offense, now it’s time to make the defense come together. Brooks has every physical attribute you want in a LB, and with the right coach, he should fully maximize his potential. He has the versatility to play inside or outside, so Cincinnati can figure out the best alignment later. In only two years he has become a top notch prospect, and could be a major difference maker.

11. Tennessee - Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
-Tennessee has a decent receiving core, but Edwards can take it to the next level. A trio of receivers that has Derrick Mason, Tyrone Calico and Braylon Edwards is extremely dangerous. Edwards’ presence will clear up more room for Brown to run, and help spread the field to make McNair even more dangerous.

12. New Orleans - Corey Webster, CB, LSU
-NO traded for Mike McKenzie but they could still use an upgrade at the corner spot, and the selection of local boy Webster makes for a nice fit. Webster has the ability to be a big time playmaker, and should help upgrade the Saints defense from the get go.

13. Kansas City - Marcus Spears, DL, LSU
-Kansas City’s offense is explosive, but their defense is really lacking. Spears is the best defensive player on the board at the moment, and his all around ability is a nice start to stabilizing the KC defense.

14. Cleveland - Elton Brown, OL, Virginia
-Cleveland always seems to need an upgrade at offensive line, and they get one here. Brown is a guard, but he has the feet to shift out to RT if the team has the need to. His versatility will be a plus come draft day, and he would be a great addition to the Browns.

15. Dallas - Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
-Dallas’ biggest need may not be a running back, but with Benson on the board, Dallas has to take the former Longhorn. He is a better runner than Julius Jones, and a safer bet to elevate the level of Dallas’ offense. He gives Dallas the running threat they have no had since the days of Emmitt, and he will be a big addition to that offense.

16. Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
-Green Bay gets Favre’s successor in a guy that is pretty similar to Favre. He may not be quite as big, or have the same arm strength, but Rodgers has that same attitude and leadership qualities that Favre has. Rodgers lack of size is what pushes him down this far, but GB is very happy. The future of Favre is uncertain, so it would be a smart move for Green Bay to grab the successor to Favre while Bret is still in town so he can learn some things. Rodgers would be a steal this late.

17. Seattle - David Pollack, DE, Georgia
-Seattle has a powerful offense, but they still need some help putting pressure on the QB. Wistrom and Pollack would be a great duo on the perimeter, and would put consistent pressure against opposing QB’s. Seattle has a talented, young secondary, and the addition of more pressure up front could really make a difference.

18. St. Louis - Mike Munoz, OT, Tennessee
-With Turley’s future in doubt, the Rams could use help at offensive tackle. As long as Munoz checks out alright, he’d be a great fit for the Rams. The more time Bulger has to get the ball to his talented weapons, the better the Rams become. Munoz may be the best OL in this draft if he checks out fine physically.

19. Houston - Thomas Davis, S, Georgia
-Houston has accumulated a solid foundation on offense, and its time to keep upgrading the defense. Davis would be the second straight DB they select in the first round, but they could really use it. Davis has the size of an LB, and will be a force against the run, but he has the athleticism to play in coverage.

20. Indianapolis - Cadillac Williams, RB, Auburn
-And the Colts do not miss a beat once Edge moves on after this season. Since the Colts can only keep one of Edge or Marvin, I believe they will keep Peyton’s favorite target, and move Edgerrin on. They need to upgrade their defense, but Indianapolis cannot afford to not address the RB situation if they let Edge move on.

21. Detroit - Shaun Cody, DE, USC
-After spending 7 consecutive first round picks on offense, Detroit finally looks tot he defensive side of the ball. With Robert Porcher retiring, they need help at end immediately. Cody can play in or out, but his ability outside fits better for Detroit.

22. Baltimore - Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
-Baltimore lucks out and gets a top notch WR spot in the last half of the first round. Clayton is a bit time playmaker, but with teams not needing to spend a high pick on a WR, and two bigger wideouts going ahead of him, Clayton could slide this far. He has the ability to step in and be a playmaker from the start, and Baltimore and Kyle Boller couldn’t be happier he’s still out there.

23. Denver - Donte Nicholson, S, Oklahoma
-Denver has been beaten deep quite a bit, so their deep patrol has to be addressed. Nicholson is arguably the top safety in the draft, and his athleticism and size should help stop some of those big plays from happening.

24. San Diego - Ben Wilkerson, C, LSU
-San Diego needs to address their OL, and Wilkerson is the best lineman left. San Diego’s offense is really emerging, and an upgrade on the line will help make them more consistent.

25. Jacksonville - Justin Tuck, DE, Notre Dame
-Jacksonville needs major help at the defensive end position, and Tuck may be the best available. He might be slightly undersized, but he is a major pass rush threat from the outside. He is arguably the best pass rusher in the draft, and would provide a much needed boost for Jacksonville’s pass rush.

the Talking Can
11-18-2004, 02:45 PM
here's a different take from GBN....is it the offseason yet?

First round
1 San Francisco *Matt Leinart QB Southern California
2 Miami *Aaron Rodgers QB California
3 Carolina Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
4 Tampa Bay Cedric Benson RB Texas
5 Tennessee *Ahmad Brooks LB Virginia
6 Washington *Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College
7 Dallas (from Buffalo) Antrel Rolle CB Miami
8 Oakland *Mike Williams WR Southern California
9 Kansas City Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
10 Dallas *Rodrique Wright DT Texas
11 Cleveland Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
12 Arizona Andrew Walter QB Arizona State
13 New Orleans Derrick Johnson LB Texas
14 Chicago Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
15 Houston Carnell Williams RB Auburn
16 Detroit *Thomas Davis FS Georgia
17 Cincinnati Corey Webster CB LSU
18 Seattle Elton Brown OG Virginia
19 St. Louis David Pollack DE Georgia
20 Green Bay Marcus Spears DE LSU

Ghostof
11-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Why are we 13th? We'll lose the reamining games, save Holmes til next year, and then go 16-0 and lose in the first round...which means we'll be making a post on here saying "Damn, well theres always next year, we'll sweep them in 2006!"

Amnorix
11-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Not that anyone here gives a rat's ass, but there's approximately a 0.00000001% chance the Patriots take an offensive guard in the 1st round. It's MORE than clear at this point what the Patriots general draft philosophy is, and it does NOT involve taking offensive linemen, especially interior linemen, high in the draft.

jspchief
11-18-2004, 02:52 PM
How depressing. Another D-lineman that won't pan out, or an over-rated DB. I'd much rather have Derrick Johnson over Marlin Jackson.

jcroft
11-18-2004, 02:53 PM
I thought we lost Marcus Spears to free agency -- or did we cut him? :)

cadmonkey
11-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Not that anyone here gives a rat's ass, but there's approximately a 0.00000001% chance the Patriots take an offensive guard in the 1st round. It's MORE than clear at this point what the Patriots general draft philosophy is, and it does NOT involve taking offensive linemen, especially interior linemen, high in the draft.

I'm sure we'll go defense (line probably as usual)

MOhillbilly
11-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I dont know why KC fans even bother looking at 1st round picks,cause they gotta know that carl will trade the first for some crappy player and a extra 2nd.

Count Alex's Wins
11-18-2004, 03:17 PM
The 49ers won't draft a QB. And the Cowboys won't draft a RB. This mock draft is stupid.

Isn't Spears a DT? Yeah, THAT'S going to happen.

shakesthecat
11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I dont know why KC fans even bother looking at 1st round picks,cause they gotta know that carl will trade the first for some crappy player and a extra 2nd.

Yeah, trading a 1st for Green is still haunting the Chiefs.

Demonpenz
11-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Matthias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College....Hmm 2 pass rush DE with him an allen would be nice, but i remember mike mamula sucked

MOhillbilly
11-18-2004, 03:28 PM

Calm down,lots of fans had reservations about green. I did until the browns game.
a blind hog finds a walnut.

el borracho
11-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Hmm. I read his statement as meaning we would trade down, get a crappy player, and an extra pick. I could be wrong.

suds79
11-18-2004, 03:34 PM
I just can't see any possible way we draft another DL in the 1st.

Our secondary is being exposed so bad, CB has got to be the way to go.

If not that, then surely LB

I would even say Safety is a bigger concern but for the most part, I don't believe in spending high draft picks on Safties.

ChiefsOne
11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Keep up playing like they have been and should be a top 5 pick!

ChiefsOne
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
MOhillbilly a blind hog finds a walnut.

I always heard that as an acorn!

Skip Towne
11-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Why worry about it? Carl will just piss it away.

philfree
11-18-2004, 04:27 PM
The only way we draft DL in the 1st round is if it's a stud DE. We've put alot of effort into improving our DTs the last 3 years and I just can't see going there again unless it's for a no-brainer Pro Bowl DT. Besides 2005 will be a year where we visit free agency to shore up the D. I predict that we'll draft an OT, WR, S or QBOTF with our first pick.

PhilFree :arrow:

Spicy McHaggis
11-18-2004, 04:56 PM
This mock is good for looking at some of the top players in the nation. A lot of these picks no sense at all though.

KCChiefsMan
11-18-2004, 05:03 PM
I see us drafting an OT, DT, or S