11-23-2004, 12:12 AM
You have two choices to choose from.

A) 2003 Chiefs explosive offense = horrendous defense

or

B) 1995 Chiefs MartyBall offense = dominating D

Which one do you perfer?

chiefshead33
11-23-2004, 12:14 AM
A great defense beats a great offense 9/10 times. Give me Martyball with the killer D. We put fear into offenses' hearts with DT, Smith, Hasty, etc. Now those days seem like a distant memory. :deevee:

Miles
11-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Definitly the dominating D. It can beat any team in the league while a dominate O is much less dependable.

tk13
11-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Defense, 100% of the time. Those playoff failures during the Marty years are just mind-boggling to me because of it, that defense was so good....

Demonpenz
11-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Tampa Bay and the Ravens both won Super Bowls with Dominating D

Manila-Chief
11-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Neither! coz you have to have at least a little O to win. Martyball proved that to us.

But, to answer.... Defense! Like in most sports a GREAT DEFNESE shuts down offense. A great D can get lucky and return a fumble/interception for a T.D. much better than a great O with a sorry D can stop the other team.

Look at how many ordinary O just ran over our D. You can't expect your O to be prefection. I mean ... for them to score a TD each time they touch the ball. There will be misses and puts ... or interceptions... So, we are exhibit A!!!!

Phobia
11-23-2004, 01:20 AM
I don't think I can vote in this poll.

I can tolerate the Chiefs losing games. Really, I can. Don't tell my wife I said that or she'd call me a liar. Seriously, I can handle a loss. The shit that pisses me off is watching 10 guys trying to stop a QB sneak on 3rd and 1 and it works. The pile stops short of the first down marker. Then #25 comes into the picture and stands there. Then the pile inches forward another 6 inches to gain the first down. That's just one example of not playing hard. I don't know how many examples I saw tonight - Easy was standing around during a Hall return. He had made his 1 block and stood there while Hall fought to evade a defender Easy could have easily blocked. Don't get me started on missed tackles and dropped passes. That's the shit I can't handle. I can watch the Chiefs get beaten by a better team. No problem. I can't stand watching the Chiefs give games away. Nope. That shit drives me crazy!

Claynus
11-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Baltimore Ravens folks.

Besides, I believe if you have one or two very good-to-great players on offense you can create a gameplan to be at least average on offense. *cough* 2001 Patriots *cough*

tk13
11-23-2004, 01:27 AM

I can tolerate the Chiefs losing games. Really, I can. Don't tell my wife I said that or she'd call me a liar. Seriously, I can handle a loss. The shit that pisses me off is watching 10 guys trying to stop a QB sneak on 3rd and 1 and it works. The pile stops short of the first down marker. Then #25 comes into the picture and stands there. Then the pile inches forward another 6 inches to gain the first down. That's just one example of not playing hard. I don't know how many examples I saw tonight - Easy was standing around during a Hall return. He had made his 1 block and stood there while Hall fought to evade a defender Easy could have easily blocked. Don't get me started on missed tackles and dropped passes. That's the shit I can't handle. I can watch the Chiefs get beaten by a better team. No problem. I can't stand watching the Chiefs give games away. Nope. That shit drives me crazy!
I remember that play by Easy you were talking about.. that was probably the most frustrating thing I saw all night just at first glance. Not that it would've sprung Dante for a TD, but I think it would've helped him have a better return, then who knows. I don't know if Easy just quit or if he honestly just couldn't see the guy out of the corner of his helmet, either way it's not a good thing...

el borracho
11-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Why can't I have both? Philasmellphia is currently #3 in offensive points/ game and #2 in points allowed/ game.

Claynus
11-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Why can't I have both? Philasmellphia is currently #3 in offensive points/ game and #2 in points allowed/ game.

Come on man. The Chiefs could never be that good a team. ROFL

Claynus
11-23-2004, 01:32 AM
I remember that play by Easy you were talking about.. that was probably the most frustrating thing I saw all night just at first glance. Not that it would've sprung Dante for a TD, but I think it would've helped him have a better return, then who knows. I don't know if Easy just quit or if he honestly just couldn't see the guy out of the corner of his helmet, either way it's not a good thing...

I saw that too. I think Easy just couldn't hold his block long enough.

Speaking of special teams, they were pretty good tonight, apart from Cheek's shank.

2bikemike
11-23-2004, 01:45 AM

You mean tackles like this.

Claynus
11-23-2004, 01:46 AM
You mean tackles like this.

"Outta my way, bitch." :shake:

Kraut
11-23-2004, 04:40 AM
The D all the way!!

David.
11-23-2004, 04:46 AM
having both sure would be nice.

MichaelH
11-23-2004, 05:03 AM
The arguements can be made, but the stats don't lie. I think it was discussed by the ESPN gurus last night. The question was, "who is a better QB, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?" The correct answer was Tom Brady, but only because he has two Super Bowl rings. And why is that? It's because the Patriots defense allows the offense to win. Manning can throw for 5 TD's and 500 yards, but still lose. Can you imagine what Brady could do with those stats?

My personal feeling is defense wins games but a good offense makes them more exciting. I vote for a BALANCED attack, a top ten offense and a top ten defense. That will win games.

Coach
11-23-2004, 07:05 AM
The arguements can be made, but the stats don't lie. I think it was discussed by the ESPN gurus last night. The question was, "who is a better QB, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?" The correct answer was Tom Brady, but only because he has two Super Bowl rings. And why is that? It's because the Patriots defense allows the offense to win. Manning can throw for 5 TD's and 500 yards, but still lose. Can you imagine what Brady could do with those stats?

My personal feeling is defense wins games but a good offense makes them more exciting. I vote for a BALANCED attack, a top ten offense and a top ten defense. That will win games.

I'm with you there man, but unfortunately, we haven't had BOTH, a top ten offense, and a top ten defense, if ever.

The reason why I posted this poll is, I just wondered how many of us CP members are more into offense or defense. You see, when I think of Kansas City Chiefs, defense comes to my mind at first. The late 60's to the early 70's were a excellent example of that. The 90's was another excellent example.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the offense we have right now, but I'd rather have a dominating defense over a high-flying offense any day. I love a defense that has some attitude, f**k you up and don't give a rat's ass.

KCJohnny
11-23-2004, 07:41 AM
The 1995 Chiefs offense wasn't a scoring machine but it was by NO means a bad offense! Led the NFL in rushing. Its a mischaracterization to say it was a weak O. This (2004) IS a weak D....

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 07:54 AM
The 1995 Chiefs offense wasn't a scoring machine but it was by NO means a bad offense! Led the NFL in rushing. Its a mischaracterization to say it was a weak O. This (2004) IS a weak D....

What did they win? Oh, that's right. One-and-done.

jAZ
11-23-2004, 07:55 AM
A great defense beats a great offense 9/10 times. Give me Martyball with the killer D. We put fear into offenses' hearts with DT, Smith, Hasty, etc. Now those days seem like a distant memory. :deevee:
You might want to mention that to the Ravens.

htismaqe
I'm with you there man, but unfortunately, we haven't had BOTH, a top ten offense, and a top ten defense, if ever.

Oh contraire...

We had both several times during the Stram years.

KCJohnny
What did they win? Oh, that's right. One-and-done.

Exactly. Just like the '03 Chiefs. :thumb:

Coach
11-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Oh contraire...

We had both several times during the Stram years.

Well I wouldn't know. I wasn't alive back then. :p

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Exactly. Just like the '03 Chiefs. :thumb:

Who freaking cares? They BOTH suck.

better than bad ≠ good