PDA

View Full Version : Kirk staying at Iowa

Brock
11-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Contract extension. Just heard on the radio. Good news for Iowa fans I guess.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Good news for them, indeed.

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 12:05 PM
YEEHAW!!!!

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 12:07 PM
http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112304aaj.html

It's essentially a very lucrative 3-year deal...

Brock
11-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Base sal 1.2 million. Jeez. Good for him.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Including all the perks head coaches get.

shakesthecat
11-23-2004, 12:11 PM
:clap:

ptlyon
11-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Including all the perks head coaches get.

Free danishes in the cafeteria?

I want to be a head coach!

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:14 PM
I really think Iowa and K-State should develop a little non-con rivalry. 2 Hayden Frye disciples facing each other every year. Two small towns driven by college football, both with two great fanbases. That'd be awesome.

jspchief
11-23-2004, 12:25 PM
I think Kirk better hope Norm Parker sticks around too. I give him a lion's share of the credit on defense.

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I really think Iowa and K-State should develop a little non-con rivalry. 2 Hayden Frye disciples facing each other every year. Two small towns driven by college football, both with two great fanbases. That'd be awesome.

Iowa tried to develop a little border rivalry with Mizzou, but Mizzou couldn't stand the thought of an automatic loss on their schedule every year so they opted for playing Arkansas State at Arrowhead...

Phobia
11-23-2004, 12:31 PM

Right. Like K-State would put a powerhouse on their nonconsched.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Iowa tried to develop a little border rivalry with Mizzou, but Mizzou couldn't stand the thought of an automatic loss on their schedule every year so they opted for playing Arkansas State at Arrowhead...
Iowa would wax KSU this year, and most likely next year as well, but it would still be fun. I think it would be a great rivalry.

Last year it would have been good..
2002 would have been awesome, Ell Roberson vs Brad Banks, and 2 great defenses
2001..would have sucked.
2000 KSU and Iowa played in the Eddie Robinson classic, which IIRC was at Arrowhead.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Right. Like K-State would put a powerhouse on their nonconsched.
Thank god we didn't this year. Last year, I wouldn't call California a powerhouse, but they were no cupcake. 2001 & 2002, we handily beat USC. Is USC considered a powerhouse in your dreamworld? :)

BTW, Scoreboard.

Iowanian
11-23-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm glad.

He's got his work cut out for him with the young Oline, 4RBs coming back from Knee injuries, and replacing the D Front 4.

Iowanian
11-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Thank god we didn't this year. Last year, I wouldn't call California a powerhouse, but they were no cupcake. 2001 & 2002, we handily beat USC. Is USC considered a powerhouse in your dreamworld? :)

BTW, Scoreboard.

KSU got beat by Iowa State.............who was beaten by Iowa.

Scoreboard.

Phobia
11-23-2004, 12:37 PM
BTW, Scoreboard.

Bowl game.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:39 PM
KSU got beat by Iowa State.............who was beaten by Iowa.

Scoreboard.
Aha..transitive scoreboards DO not work!

If they did....

Iowa lost to Michigan, who lost to Ohio State, who lost to Northwestern, who lost to TCU, who lost to Cincinatti, who lost to ARMY!

Bada-bing...2-8 ARMY magically has scoreboard over Iowa now.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Bowl game.
That however, does work. Congrats.

Chief Henry
11-23-2004, 12:40 PM
YEEHAW!!!!

HOT DAM.........We're gonna FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FOR IOWAAAAAAAAAA

Phobia
11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
That however, does work. Congrats.

;)

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm glad.

He's got his work cut out for him with the young Oline, 4RBs coming back from Knee injuries, and replacing the D Front 4.

Actually, next season is going to be BIG...the success this season was an unexpected bonus. All of the injuries may turn out to be a huge blessing in disguise.

1) That "young o-line" was young THIS YEAR. Next year they will be very deep. Mike Elgin, who started at center most of the season as a sophomore, will be a Junior. Mike Jones, who started all season at guard, will be a junior. Todd Plagman, who saw quality minutes in at least 5 games this season, will be a RS SOPHOMORE. The youngest guys on the 2-deep will be sophomore's Seth Olsen and Clint Huntrods, both heralded recruits. Brian Ferentz, Lee Gray, David Walker, CJ Barkema, and Ben Cronin will all be seniors. I don't count Blake Larsen since he's pretty much a bust.

2) Yes, 4 RB's had knee injuries. Simmons will be back for the bowl game, let alone next season. Both he and Damian Sims got playing time they wouldn't have gotten had Jermelle not been injured. Albert Young has now missed 2 seasons due to injury, so I'm not counting on him. Marcus Schnoor will be back. The biggest bonus is that Drew Tate got an entire season of growth WITHOUT A RUNNING GAME. Any running game we get now is just going to make him that much better.

3) The defensive line. This is my biggest worry. But the guys coming up -- Bryan Mattison, Richard Kittrell, etc. have far more upside than any of the guys graduating (save Roth) did when they were recruited. I have faith they will develop. It won't hurt having those LB's behind them either.

So in a nutshell, this season was setup to be a year of preparation for a very young team. They WAY overachieved and won 9 games. It doesn't get any better than this...

yunghungwell
11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
I know a couple of K-State fans who I would love to be able to rub a Hawkeye win into.

I am glad that Kirk is staying a while longer. He does a lot for the school and the program IMO.

For that matter McCarney has done great things for Ia State. I like the coaching situation at both Iowa universities right now. Both teams are doing way better than anyone would have expected in the situations that they are in.

Most people thought that Iowa State would have a hard time winning five games all year long. Some thought that there was a possibility that they wouldn't even win 1 game.

Then there is Iowa. How many teams in the nation could loose, what is it, four running backs and still be at the top of their conference, let alone be at the top of the Big Ten.

Coogs
11-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Damn! I was hoping he would be coaching the Chiefs next season.

shaneo69
11-23-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm guessing this extension was brought on by overtures from Florida.

Iowanian
11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Or having a piece of the Big 10, and Jan1 bowl games 3 years running.

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm guessing this extension was brought on by overtures from Florida.

The rumors go much further than that...Cleveland is reportedly going to fire Butch Davis...

BTW, All Big 10 Team is out...

Ferentz wins Coach of the Year...

Drew Tate, 1st team coaches, 2nd team media

Roth, Greenway, 1st team coaches and media

Hodge, 1st team coaches, 2nd team media.

Babineaux, 2nd team coaches, 1st team media.

Solomon, 2nd team media