PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Bailey/Portis Trade - after 11 weeks

Mile High Mania
11-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Ok, now I am not posting this for any other reasons than to try and find semi-objective thoughts now that we are 11 weeks (10 games) into the season.

Let me say a few things - yes, the "plan" was for Griffin and possibly Bell to be the RB that rocked in the offense this year. Droughns stepping up was a mixture of luck and planning. I say this b/c they had the guy on the roster for a reason - they liked him and gave him a chance when Q went down. Luck b/c he was not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd option when the season began to be the next 1,000 yard back.

So, now that we have 10 games to review the trade. Do you think that DEN made the right move in trading Portis for Bailey and a draft pick that became Bell.

Through 10 games - DEN is 6th overall and top 10 in just about every major defensive category. Offensively, DEN is 5th overall and 6th in rushing while being 7th in passing. So, top 10 in just about every category on both sides of the ball.

Through 6 starts - Reuben has 844 yards rushing and 4.9 yards per carry. Against the Raiders, he could top 1,000 yards in his 7th start - putting him right up there with the great seasons from Davis, Anderson and Portis.

Bailey has been shakey at times (ie - Atlanta and Cincy), but overall he is doing his job pretty well. I still expect better.

But, overall ... how do you rate the trade now?

NewChief
11-23-2004, 04:05 PM
I rate it high, just for the fact that you got rid of Portis. That dude's a dick. When I lived out in Colorado, I thought he was going to be pretty cool. Seemed flashy and flamboyant at first. Sort of a character. As time went on, though, it was obvious that he's a locker room cancer and primadonna.

On top of that, you're rushing game is still grinding on and Champ certainly hasn't hurt the defense any. All in all, it was a ballsy, good move, imo.

Brock
11-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Droughns is a solid running back, but Portis was high octane explosive. You're going to miss that at some point.

Mile High Mania
11-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Droughns is a solid running back, but Portis was high octane explosive. You're going to miss that at some point.

Yeah - I hear what you're saying. That 51 yard TD on the first play at NO was nice, but I haven't seen that Portis quickness. I'd also like to see more rushing TDs ... well, he is my fantasy RB. :p

I can't argue with the production though and the lack of rushing TDs has been answered by Plummer having a great season, it's been great to see Lelie step up. Finally! He cannot be considered a bust.

tk13
11-23-2004, 04:25 PM
One team's 7-3, the other is 3-7....

Mile High Mania
11-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Yeah - the Skins suck, but even with issues at QB and a bad Oline, Portis is having a decent season.

928 yards / 3.9 average / 2 TDs

The average and TDs are obviously well below his days in DEN, but his supporting cast sucks. He should still top 1,300 yards.

Brock
11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
One team's 7-3, the other is 3-7....

I'd say they probably would both have the same records with no trade. So I'm not sure who the "winner" is.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Denver blows. Semi-objective enough for you?

:p

tk13
11-23-2004, 04:32 PM
I'd say they probably would both have the same records with no trade. So I'm not sure who the "winner" is.
I wouldn't disagree, but I can imagine who's happier with the trade. In reality both teams got what they needed...

SoCalRaider
11-23-2004, 04:39 PM
From the Redskins perspective, this was a great trade. They give up their best CB, and are rewarded with a franchise RB and the #2 defense in the NFL. Looked good initially and still looks good 11 weeks later.

From the http://www.raiderforum.net/images/smiles/3.gif perspective, this wasn't a bad trade either (but far from a great trade). They at least were able to get something in return for a franchise RB that wanted out... the question is could they have gotten more because http://www.raiderforum.net/images/smiles/3.gif fans are realizing what RAIDER fans have known for years: CB is the most over-rated position in the NFL. Any offense can game plan against a great CB by simply by avoiding him... the same can't be said for a great LB, great DE, or a great DT.

Count Zarth
11-23-2004, 04:52 PM
It's been an amazing trade for the Donks. Shanahan's system is just great. I doubted him before the year but I will never doubt him after this when it comes to RBs. Hell he did pretty good with Lelie this year and getting rid of Sharpe too.

Ultra Peanut
11-23-2004, 04:57 PM
928 yards / 3.9 average / 2 TDsYikes. 3.9 YPC and 2 TDs?

Cochise
11-23-2004, 05:07 PM
To me it looks like Portis wasn't just a product of Denver's offense. The Skins' line is much worse, but he's still been fairly productive, even if not getting into the end zone. Washington doesn't really have a passing game to speak of, either.

It looks like a wash to me, no pun intended. Denver got the benefits of getting rid of an ego that was too big for the stadium and bringing in a rare player, but gave up a rare player too.

Guess it hasn't hurt them, they're one game better than this time last year.

el borracho
11-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Certainly the Donks can't complain about the trade... things have gone about as well as one could have hoped.

By the way, what is the deal with Bell, anyway?

Logical
11-23-2004, 05:12 PM
I thought the trade was a good idea for creating a playoff winning team. I still think that but the playoffs are not here yet.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2004, 10:23 PM
when the trade first happened i thought it was a ballzy trade with a high probability to success. I also like quentin griffin so i thought this would help.

impressed by the guts it took to make the trade.

now....

still looks pretty good even though quentin griffin hasnt (so far)

trade grade from the donkey side of things: B+

ROYC75
11-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Oh now you don't Brad, nooooo way I'm going to chime in on this and give Taco some more BB material to pin up . :shake:

Denver* sucks :thumb: ROFL

That was for Taco...... but to a pretty cool guy that I poke some fun with, it seems to of worked out OK for you guys..... Shhhhhhhh, don't tell Taco I said this , OK !

crossbow
11-24-2004, 08:10 AM
I rate it very high. Shutdown corners are much more difficult to come by then tailbacks. There is a high octane tailback or two in every draft and they can be taken at middle draft slots of the early rounds. ALL of the great corners are gone after the first ten picks.

Derrick Blaylock is a good example of how you can get a speedy scat back even in the 5th round. No way could you get an all-pro corner in that or even the third rounds.

Taco John
11-24-2004, 08:28 AM
By the way, what is the deal with Bell, anyway?

He's a rookie on a deep roster....