PDA

View Full Version : "Mizzou just lost their third straight. To a mid-major. At home."

jAZ
11-24-2004, 07:31 PM
http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=22927

Mizzou just lost their third straight. To a mid-major. At home.

Quin Snyder is the worst coach in America. Period.

ROFL

DJay23
11-24-2004, 07:35 PM
It brings a tear to my eye. A tear of joy. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like I will tomorrow night after stuffing 10 pounds of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pie into my stomach.

Skip Towne
11-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Well, damn. This ruins the season for me as well as Mizzou. Even I won't kick somebody when they're down.

tk13
11-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Since when did Houston become a "mid-major"?

jAZ
11-24-2004, 07:56 PM
If you prefer, we can refer to them as merely a shitty basketball team.

alanm
11-24-2004, 07:58 PM
There's no shame in getting blown out by Creighton last night either. Creighton could very well be a Sweet 16 team this spring.:thumb:

Skip Towne
11-24-2004, 08:02 PM
What defines a "mid-major?".

tk13
11-24-2004, 08:03 PM
If you prefer, we can refer to them as merely a shitty basketball team.
It's okay, I realize the fans of the elite schools have a "NY Yankees" mentality toward college basketball, that's not a huge deal I guess... but even I was a little surprised that someone would call C-USA a 'mid-major' conference...

alanm
11-24-2004, 08:04 PM
What defines a "mid-major?".Pretty much any school that isn't in a major conference. Creighton for example plays in the Missouri Valley Conference.

ROYC75
11-24-2004, 08:05 PM
MU is just sandbagging it .

gblowfish
11-24-2004, 08:08 PM
I was there last night against Creighton. Mizzou was pathetic. Shot about 40% from the field, about 65% from the line, and were like 4 for 14 from 3 point land. McKinney: Zero points and 3 fouls. Gardner: ZIp for 5 from 3 point land. Kleiza couldn't find his ass with either hand, bricked like half a dozen shots from 3 feet or less. They were clueless. Bottom line: If you can't put the rock in the hole, you lose. This month has probably been the hardest month EVER to be a Tiger fan across the board in every conceivable way.

Have your laughs now, KU. What goes around comes around.

jAZ
11-24-2004, 08:08 PM
It's okay, I realize the fans of the elite schools have a "NY Yankees" mentality toward college basketball, that's not a huge deal I guess... but even I was a little surprised that someone would call C-USA a 'mid-major' conference...
There was a time when C-USA was certainly a mid-major. It's not unexpected that someone would still refer to one of the perennial doormats of CUSA as a mid-major.

With some justification.

tk13
11-24-2004, 08:09 PM
What defines a "mid-major?".
I'd say $$, prestige obviously plays a part of it too. There are certain conferences that are just generally more highly thought of I guess. I wouldn't think of C-USA as one of those conferences, they got a ton of teams in the tournament.

tk13
11-24-2004, 08:10 PM
There was a time when C-USA was certainly a mid-major. It's not unexpected that someone would still refer to one of the perennial doormats of CUSA as a mid-major.

With some justification.
How is that? Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, DePaul, Marquette... those are some very storied programs.

Houston could finish 5th or 6th in their conference this year and be considering for making the NCAA tournament, I don't percieve that as being a "mid-major".

Skip Towne
11-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Pretty much any school that isn't in a major conference. Creighton for example plays in the Missouri Valley Conference.
What defines a "major conference"?

jAZ
11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
How is that? Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, DePaul, Marquette... those are some very storied programs.

Houston could finish 5th or 6th in their conference this year and be considering for making the NCAA tournament, I don't percieve that as being a "mid-major".
Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette are all moving the the Big East because CUSA is a mid-major conference.

alanm
11-24-2004, 08:18 PM
What defines a "major conference"?ACC, Big East, SEC, Big 12,10 , Pac 10 ect. Or $$$ Like tk13 mentioned.

jAZ
11-24-2004, 08:18 PM
What defines a "major conference"?
That's probably defined by $$, though I don't know what dollar figure to give you. It's like the color black... I can't tell you what it is, but we can basically agree what it is when we see it.

tk13
11-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette are all moving the the Big East because CUSA is a mid-major conference.
It probably will be. It isn't yet.

Skip Towne
11-24-2004, 08:21 PM
I was there last night against Creighton. Mizzou was pathetic. Shot about 40% from the field, about 65% from the line, and were like 4 for 14 from 3 point land. McKinney: Zero points and 3 fouls. Gardner: ZIp for 5 from 3 point land. Kleiza couldn't find his ass with either hand, bricked like half a dozen shots from 3 feet or less. They were clueless. Bottom line: If you can't put the rock in the hole, you lose. This month has probably been the hardest month EVER to be a Tiger fan across the board in every conceivable way.

Have your laughs now, KU. What goes around comes around. Yeah, but it comes around a hell of a lot more on some teams than it does others.

jAZ
11-24-2004, 08:27 PM
It probably will be. It isn't yet.
Honestly, if it isn't, why are they leaving? It's ceratinly been borderline mid-major ever since it's inception. It's will definately fall into that catagory in the next year or so.

Keep in mind, that "mid-major" simply suggests that it's not a "major" conference.

When not all of your schools have a football program, you can't claim to be a "major" conference, IMO.

Skip Towne
11-24-2004, 08:27 PM
ACC, Big East, SEC, Big 12,10 , Pac 10 ect. Or $$$ Like tk13 mentioned.
So nothing really defines it? I mean $$$ is kinda vague. Also, what would you call SWMS at Springfield? It would seem to me that there are very few Div.1 programs they can compete with, at least in football.

jAZ
11-24-2004, 08:38 PM
So nothing really defines it? I mean $$$ is kinda vague. Also, what would you call SWMS at Springfield? It would seem to me that there are very few Div.1 programs they can compete with, at least in football.
No, nothing really defines it as far as I know.

BTW, the sky is blue.

duncan_idaho
11-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Technical note: this game was played at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City. Not exactly a home game, though there probably was a large contingent of Mizzou fans there.

As for the Tigers... I think it's going to be a long season. And it's starting to look like the best option is planting Kevin Young's stone-handed rear on the bench and playing Conley or Brown at the 4. Unless Horton gets things going quickly (sitting out six months with that blood clot thing appears to have thrown him off his game, surprise, surprise) and they start making some shots, they're going to be horrible.

But you know what? I'll still be in the student section of (dare I hope) Norm Stewart Arena, cheering my guts out and supporting my (crappy) team.

Brando
11-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Keep fvcking doubting Tom Penders!

Raiderhader
11-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the world of KSu. Wether iot be basketball or foottball.

ChiefsCountry
11-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Here is how I consider Mid-Major/Major Conferences:
Major:
6 "BCS" Conferences
ACC
Big East
Big Ten
Big 12
Pac 10
SEC
Plus Mountain West and Conference USA
Then you have High Mid-Major
Atlantic 10
WAC
Missouri Valley
MAC
(These are the only leagues that normally get at least two bids in the NCAA tournament)
Every thing else is mid-major.

tk13
11-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Here is how I consider Mid-Major/Major Conferences:
Major:
6 "BCS" Conferences
ACC
Big East
Big Ten
Big 12
Pac 10
SEC
Plus Mountain West and Conference USA
Then you have High Mid-Major
Atlantic 10
WAC
Missouri Valley
(These are the only leagues that normally get at least two bids in the NCAA tournament)
Every thing else is mid-major.
Ahhh, no Mid-American... boooo on your list. :)

ChiefsCountry
11-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Ahhh, no Mid-American... boooo on your list. :)
Its fixed, I knew I was missing one.

tk13
11-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Its fixed, I knew I was missing one.
It's ok, I'm just razzing you. Dick Vitale always does call it the most underrated conference in America... they don't always get more than 1 team in but sometimes they should. A couple years ago I think three should've gotten in over a couple teams like Utah and NC-Charlotte didn't have good records and got bounced hard in the 1st round... but that's the way it goes. The biggie is that the MAC is Division I for football though unlike some of those other "mid-majors" (A-10, Mo. Valley)... some people have projected 4 to 6 different teams getting bowl bids for the conference too which would be a pretty big step forward.

Brando
11-24-2004, 10:29 PM
It's ok, I'm just razzing you. Dick Vitale always does call it the most underrated conference in America... they don't always get more than 1 team in but sometimes they should. A couple years ago I think three should've gotten in over a couple teams like Utah and NC-Charlotte didn't have good records and got bounced hard in the 1st round... but that's the way it goes. The biggie is that the MAC is Division I for football though unlike some of those other "mid-majors" (A-10, Mo. Valley)... some people have projected 4 to 6 different teams getting bowl bids for the conference too which would be a pretty big step forward.

C'mon man..Dukie V is nothing but a blow hard. The MAC is definitely a solid conference though.

ChiefsCountry
11-24-2004, 10:30 PM

MAC football still has along way to go, the West Division champ got blown out by KU. ROFL I know my Tigers did too, but still its KU not exactly a powerhouse.

Mo Valley football schools compete in the Gateway Conference in IAA, they could probally compete in IA football, but they like being the Big fish in the small pound.

tk13
11-24-2004, 10:32 PM
C'mon man..Dukie V is nothing but a blow hard. The MAC is definitely a solid conference though.
Ohhhhh! He's awesome baby! Super sensation sportscaster! Ohhhhh! Come on Brad Nessler! Come on now! Don't be dogging me!

Brando
11-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Ohhhhh! He's awesome baby! Super sensation sportscaster! Ohhhhh! Come on Brad Nessler! Come on now! Don't be dogging me!

Has anyone ever told you how much you resemble your namesake Dick? Errr I mean that you look like a little penis with a hat on?

tk13
11-24-2004, 10:39 PM
MAC football still has along way to go, the West Division champ got blown out by KU. ROFL I know my Tigers did too, but still its KU not exactly a powerhouse.

Mo Valley football schools compete in the Gateway Conference in IAA, they could probally compete in IA football, but they like being the Big fish in the small pound.
Oh I know they aren't going to step in and beat Oklahoma or anything.. but in terms of recognition it's better. Actually I'd say last year the conference was better than this year, if for nothing else than Roethlisberger was destroying everybody and leading the way. During the season last year Marshall beat K-State, Northern Illinois beat Alabama and Maryland, Miami annihilated Louisville in their bowl game, Bowling Green beat Northwestern... really this year absolutely sucked compared to last year, but the conference could get more bowl bids. I guess that's how it goes....

Brando
11-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Oh I know they aren't going to step in and beat Oklahoma or anything.. but in terms of recognition it's better. Actually I'd say last year the conference was better than this year, if for nothing else than Roethlisberger was destroying everybody and leading the way. During the season last year Marshall beat K-State, Northern Illinois beat Alabama and Maryland, Miami annihilated Louisville in their bowl game, Bowling Green beat Northwestern... really this year absolutely sucked compared to last year, but the conference could get more bowl bids. I guess that's how it goes....

If you want to see the MAC make a huge jump in football they should start up a rivalry with the new Big Least. I think it would actually make for some good competition.

alanm
11-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Just wanted to mention FWIW Creighton beat Ohio St. tonight 65-63 in OT to win the Guardian Classic. :thumb: Creighton is going to be tough to beat this year.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Houston's not a mid-major... they ****ing suck, but they're not a mid-major. Mid-majors don't have a long list of famous NBA players as alumni and strings of national championships and final fours. Houston's been in the NCAA tournament at least twenty-some odd times, IIRC, and Phi Slamma Jamma is still well known.

Mid-majors: Evansville, Cleveland State, Pepperdine, Centenary, Lamar
NOT mid-majors: Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Temple, St. Joe's, Xavier, New Mexico, BYU (but the Mormon Cougars do suck)

Mid-major conferences do not have teams in the top 10 in attendance every year (Louisville is behind Syracuse each year, Memphis is anywhere from #6 to #10, and New Mexico is generally right behind us). Mid-major conferences do not have schools that pay their coaches well in excess of $1,000,000 a year (F'rinstance, John Calipari makes $1.5 mil/yr at Memphis).

That's why I despise the BCS so much. People automatically assume you're a small fry in everything if you don't have the holy BCS tag attached. "Oh, Baylor? They're major. But if you're not in the BCS in football, you're not major in basketball." It's not like Louisville, Cincy, DePaul, Marquette, and USF (somehow, people forget about them... must be because they could barely muster $100,000 to grab some no-name coach when Greenberg -- who took them to a whopping two NIT appearances in his tenure -- bolted for Virginia Tech) will be stepping out of some obscure conference into the big time next year.

Now, there are some pretty big players on the court in mid-major conferences (Gonzaga, Creighton). Writing them off is also silly.

Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette are all moving the the Big East because CUSA is a mid-major conference.No, they're moving to the Big East because the Big East can offer more in terms of revenue sharing (not to mention the fact that it's going to be, at worst, the second-best basketball conference in the nation) and national prestige (having so many schools in the nation's media center can't hurt). Toss in the fact that C-USA has (had) so many different interests (football-only schools, non-football schools, streeetched geography), and it was an easy move.

Did Miami, BC, and VPI jump to the ACC because the Big East is a mid-major conference? Did the Big East select USF over Memphis because of USF's AMAZING basketball history?

Memphis, UAB, UCF, and UTEP are the schools in the new C-USA that made the tournament last year. Memphis beat South Carolina before losing to Oklahoma State. UAB, well, most of you know what happened there. UCF made it in on the A-Sun autobid (they're very glad to be getting out of that, a true mid- or even low-major, conference) and gave Pitt all they could handle. UTEP got in as one of the last at-larges (note: mid-majors do NOT get at-large bids) and nearly knocked off #4 seed Maryland.

We'll see if the rest of the conference can keep up with and match Memphis, UAB, Tulsa (they're really spiraling downwards right now, though... not good timing), and UTEP (Penders at UH and Eustachy at Southern Miss should help), but while there's no doubt we took a huge hit, we're still not going to be competing in Bracketbusters just yet. Especially not Memphis... just ask our top 10 2005 recruiting class and the insanely stacked class of 2006 (you could seriously pull a top 5 class from the city of Memphis alone).

Brando
11-25-2004, 01:01 AM
Houston's not a mid-major... they ****ing suck, but they're not a mid-major. Mid-majors don't have a long list of famous NBA players as alumni and strings of national championships and final fours. Houston's been in the NCAA tournament at least twenty-some odd times, IIRC, and Phi Slamma Jamma is still well known.

Mid-majors: Evansville, Cleveland State, Pepperdine, Centenary, Lamar
NOT mid-majors: Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Temple, St. Joe's, Xavier, New Mexico, BYU (but the Mormon Cougars do suck)

Mid-major conferences do not have teams in the top 10 in attendance every year (Louisville is behind Syracuse each year, Memphis is anywhere from #6 to #10, and New Mexico is generally right behind us).

That's why I despise the BCS so much. People automatically assume you're a small fry in everything if you don't have the holy BCS tag attached. "Oh, Baylor? They're major. But if you're not in the BCS in football, you're not major in basketball." It's not like Louisville, Cincy, DePaul, Marquette, and USF (somehow, people forget about them... must be because they could barely muster $100,000 to grab some no-name coach when Greenberg -- who took them to a whopping two NIT appearances in his tenure -- bolted for Virginia Tech) will be stepping out of some obscure conference into the big time next year.

No, they're moving to the Big East because the Big East can offer more in terms of revenue sharing (not to mention the fact that it's going to be, at worst, the second-best basketball conference in the nation) and national prestige (having so many schools in the nation's media center can't hurt). Toss in the fact that C-USA has (had) so many different interests (football-only schools, non-football schools, streeetched geography), and it was an easy move.

Did Miami, BC, and VPI jump to the ACC because the Big East is a mid-major conference? Did the Big East select USF over Memphis because of USF's AMAZING basketball history?

Memphis, UAB, UCF, and UTEP are the schools in the new C-USA that made the tournament last year. Memphis beat South Carolina before losing to Oklahoma State. UAB, well, most of you know what happened there. UCF made it in on the A-Sun autobid (they're very glad to be getting out of that, a true mid- or even low-major, conference) and gave Pitt all they could handle. UTEP got in as one of the last at-larges (note: mid-majors do NOT get at-large bids) and nearly knocked off #4 seed Maryland.

We'll see if the rest of the conference can keep up with and match Memphis, UAB, Tulsa (they're really spiraling downwards right now, though... not good timing), and UTEP (Penders at UH and Eustachy at Southern Miss should help), but while there's no doubt we took a huge hit, we're still not going to be competing in Bracketbusters just yet. Especially not Memphis... just ask our top 10 2005 recruiting class and the insanely stacked class of 2006 (you could seriously pull a top 5 class from the city of Memphis alone).

I was really hoping that the Big East would have pursued Memphis instead of South Florida. Apparently the BE schools thought that playing S. Fla would help their football recruiting down there with the loss of Miami.

Sure-Oz
11-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Is there any potential stars on this MU team? Quinn and Pinkel need to go, quinn can recruit but he is a super shitty coach.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2004, 01:03 AM
I was really hoping that the Big East would have pursued Memphis instead of South Florida.You're not the only one...

It's not even being separated from UC and UL that pisses me off anymore, it's the INSULT of being stepped over in lieu of a school that has neither earned nor accomplished ANYTHING and offered nothing we couldn't offer aside from being the #4 fish, at best, in its own large pond (as opposed to our "#1 fish in a decent-sized pond").

Brando
11-25-2004, 01:05 AM
You're not the only one...

Never say never..Pitt might bolt to the Big 11/10 soon. Plus there's talk that the gAyCC may try to pluck another team.

Phobia
11-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Is it March already?

tk13
11-25-2004, 01:06 AM
ROFL I knew Psicosis would go off over this...

UCF never joined the MAC in basketball, I'd liked to have seen how they would've matched up. They're pretty arrogant though, their Univ. president got made fun of for saying at a press conference that he was excited to join the Midwestern Conference and their football coach talked some smack if I remember correctly, too bad they didn't do squat in football... :)

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2004, 01:07 AM
By the way, I nearly choked when I saw the score. Houston could be pretty good in a few years, but now? Just... no. Sort of like when Stanford got creamed by UTK, this was a sign to me that Mizzou must seriously suck.

Brando
11-25-2004, 01:09 AM
By the way, I nearly choked when I saw the score. Houston could be pretty good in a few years, but now? Just... no. Sort of like when Stanford got creamed by UTK, this was a sign to me that Mizzou must seriously suck.
I like Quinn and think that he's a good coach, but the state that this program is in just begs for a coaching change.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2004, 01:10 AM
ROFL I knew Psicosis would go off over this...

UCF never joined the MAC in basketball, I'd liked to have seen how they would've matched up. They're pretty arrogant though, their Univ. president got made fun of for saying at a press conference that he was excited to join the Midwestern Conference and their football coach talked some smack if I remember correctly, too bad they didn't do squat in football... :)Oh yeah... I remember that. Steve Orsini said something at their first MAC media days about how they liked being in the MAC, but expected to be in a BCS conference in a few years. Nice intro. ROFL

If God wiped all Florida directional schools' athletic departments off the map, I'd be fine with that.

Brando
11-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Oh yeah... I remember that. Steve Orsini said something at their first MAC media days about how they liked being in the MAC, but expected to be in a BCS conference in a few years. Nice intro. ROFL

If God wiped all Florida directional schools' athletic departments off the map, I'd be fine with that.

Shit..they should just make Florida a place to vacation and to move to before you die. Wait..they already did that. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2004, 01:14 AM
When not all of your schools have a football program, you can't claim to be a "major" conference, IMO.So the Big East (Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova... plus DePaul and Marquette in 2005) isn't a major conference?

Brando
11-25-2004, 01:16 AM
I guess that removes the Big 12 (Baylor), the ACC (Duke), and the SEC (Vandy) from being major conferences?

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2004, 01:19 AM
I guess that removes the Big 12 (Baylor), the ACC (Duke), and the SEC (Vandy) from being major conferences?I was going to throw Rutgers onto that list for the Big East. ROFL

Brando
11-25-2004, 01:22 AM
I was going to throw Rutgers onto that list for the Big East. ROFL
LOL..the sad thing is that Syracuse lost to them last year and to Temple this year. Actually you might want to throw Syracuse on that list. They have a men's gymnastics team in helmets and shoulderpads.

Ari Chi3fs
11-25-2004, 08:55 AM
MU is hungover from the offseason fiasco... however, with a new arena, you would think these guys would come to play...

Yeah, Ill try not to kick them while their down too much either... damn, you know this kind of ruins part of the fun of KU basketball...

Ari Chi3fs
11-25-2004, 08:57 AM
LOL..the sad thing is that Syracuse lost to them last year and to Temple this year. Actually you might want to throw Syracuse on that list. They have a men's gymnastics team in helmets and shoulderpads.

Bet that is hard to do the balance beam, the rings, and the floor exercise in that getup.

Skip Towne
11-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Is there any potential stars on this MU team? Quinn and Pinkel need to go, quinn can recruit but he is a super shitty coach.
I keep hearing this but exactly WHO has he recruited?

ragedogg69
11-25-2004, 12:39 PM
http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=22927

ROFL

That forum is still active? I stopped reading their after about 25 posts cuz there were so many idiots/fanboys. not to mention, if you make any critical comments about poor moderating or criticize the admin, you are viewed as the anti-christ. for now ill stick to my small selection of forums.

KC Kings
11-25-2004, 01:55 PM
This is why I supported the down town arena. Being a Royals/Chiefs/Mizzou fan was ok, but I didn't feel totally let down all the time. While the Royals aren't the post season the Chiefs are playing. While the Chiefs aren't in the post season, Mizzou is playing. But after Mizzou loses early in the NIT, there is a small void before the Royals start kicking me in the gut again. Sure, the NFL draft gives me some disappointment, but it wasn't quite enough of a let down.

Now that they are building the arena, it won't be long before we bring in either a NFL or NHL that can suck as bad as the rest of my teams, and fill the gap between college hoops and Opening Day at the K. I can't wait !!!

Thank you, may I have another?