PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Charger fans.

Chiefnj
11-24-2004, 09:30 PM
First, where the hell were you the past couple of years when the team sucked? I'm only half kidding.

The real question I'm wondering is with Brees being a free agent at the end of the year and Rivers on the bench, do you think that the Chargers essentially have a one year window for a Super Bowl run before you go through the rookie blues with Rivers and Brees leaves town?

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 09:33 PM
First, where the hell were you the past couple of years when the team sucked? I'm only half kidding.

The real question I'm wondering is with Brees being a free agent at the end of the year and Rivers on the bench, do you think that the Chargers essentially have a one year window for a Super Bowl run before you go through the rookie blues with Rivers and Brees leaves town?

Come on Chiefnj you know Marty is the coach. Do you really expect him to make the right decision on which QB to keep? ROFL

Chiefnj
11-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Come on Chiefnj you know Marty is the coach. Do you really expect him to make the right decision on which QB to keep? ROFL

I'm being serious. I don't for a second think it is Marty's decision to make. The team used a top 5 pick on Rivers and are paying him lots of money. They can't afford two starting QB's, so Brees is history.

Hydrae
11-24-2004, 09:36 PM

:LOL:

WebGem
11-24-2004, 10:03 PM
I know I didn't just see somebody say something about the Chargers and a Super Bowl run.

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm being serious. I don't for a second think it is Marty's decision to make. The team used a top 5 pick on Rivers and are paying him lots of money. They can't afford two starting QB's, so Brees is history.

Yeah but that was too good to pass up.

But I agree I can't see how they keep both. They might do it but it will cause problems. I am not sure what Brees salary is. I do think Marty will have some input but no way is the final decision his. I am sure he would like to keep both.

sparkky
11-24-2004, 10:55 PM
As I understand it, Brees is a unrestricted free agent. I can't see him "willingly" resigning to back up the kid, or have the kid breathing down his neck after alll he's been thru in SD.
To keep him, SD would have to use the franchise tag which is what, the average salary of the top 5 paid qbs in the league?
Looks like a tough spot to me. Maybe franchise and try to make someone trade for him? If someone calls their bluff and says "fine, franchise him and keep him", what do they do??
SD is about screwed, seems to me they have to let him walk.
SD homers, what ya think??

Brando
11-24-2004, 10:58 PM
As I understand it, Brees is a unrestricted free agent. I can't see him "willingly" resigning to back up the kid, or have the kid breathing down his neck after alll he's been thru in SD.
To keep him, SD would have to use the franchise tag which is what, the average salary of the top 5 paid qbs in the league?
Looks like a tough spot to me. Maybe franchise and try to make someone trade for him? If someone calls their bluff and says "fine, franchise him and keep him", what do they do??
SD is about screwed, seems to me they have to let him walk.
SD homers, what ya think??

What are the chances of us throwing Todd Collins and some of our defensive dead weight at them for Brees? Nothing against Trent but I don't see him keeping this up forever.

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 11:05 PM
What are the chances of us throwing Todd Collins and some of our defensive dead weight at them for Brees? Nothing against Trent but I don't see him keeping this up forever.

Personally I am not sold on Brees yet. I would like to see if he is going to maintain this upward trend in performance.

Brando
11-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Personally I am not sold on Brees yet. I would like to see if he is going to maintain this upward trend in performance.
I'm not totally sold on him either, but I shiver at the thought of Trent going down and the Maytag repairman having to lead us for any prolonged period of time.

Phobia
11-24-2004, 11:10 PM
You'll be sold on Brees after Sunday. If Brian Griese looks like Joe Montana against these bums, Drew Brees will walk on water.

RxKbolt
11-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Long answer: The Chargers have over 20 million in cap space for next year so they technically could keep both Brees and Rivers, but that would mean they have only 12 million (franchise Brees) for free agent and rookie signings
(with two number one picks). It is a debate among Charger fans what they should do and to be honest who knows what AJ (Chargers GM) will decide to do. I do not think they will let him walk for free unless they have no other choice. Thier is a high risk the Chargers could get burned. If they keep Brees and get rid of Rivers and Brees ends up regressing and Rivers becomes a pro bowler then thier screwed. If they keep Rivers and get rid of Brees and Rivers ends up being a bust then thier screwed. They may ended up signing both of them for the next year to give them more time to make the right choice.

Short answer: Who the hell knows. I don't even think the chargers know what to do.

Brando
11-24-2004, 11:16 PM
You'll be sold on Brees after Sunday. If Brian Griese looks like Joe Montana against these bums, Drew Brees will walk on water.
That reminds me of this joke.
Jesus and St. Peter are sick of playing all the golf courses in Heaven so they come down to play Pebble Beach.
St. Peter steps up the 11th tee which dog legs right with water on the left. He hits a 5 iron and lays up.
Jesus steps up and pulls out his driver. St. Peter questions him, "Are you not afraid of hitting into the water my lord?" Christ responds,"If Tiger Woods can hit a driver off of this tee so can Jesus Christ."
Splash his drive finds the drink.
He walks out on the ocean to retrieve his ball.
Once again Jesus addresses the ball with his driver. Again Peter questions him, "Lord shouldn't you lay up?" Again he replies, "If Tiger Woods can hit a driver off of this tee so can Jesus Christ."
Splash..he hits the water again. He again goes out to retrieve his ball.
About this time a player from the foursome behing Jesus and Peter comes up to Peter and says, "Who's that guy think he is? Jesus Christ?" To which St. Peter responds, "Nope, he thinks that he is Tiger Woods."

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 11:19 PM

That won't sell me on Brees but I will likely blow a gasket and partake in the bitch fest on the planet that will only fuel the rage irritating me further. I will then return to work on monday and face the fugging bandwagon Charger fans at work. I should return to normal about friday. And then repeat the cycle again starting on the following sunday.
:cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :mad:

jchargerfan
11-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Hello Chief fans,

Brees does want to stay in SD, and has said so on many occasions this year, although he knows that it's virtually impossible in financial terms. SD will probably franchise him, and look to trade, especially if we get at least one playoff game win. If we franchise him, and there are no takers, then we are truly up #%&$! creek. I wish him well, unless he goes to a team within the division...

Most of the latest decisions by Charger's FO (McCardell, Oben, Olivea, Keading, etc. and getting rid of Boston and Wiley) have turned out great, so most fans will be satisfied to leave the decision on Brees to the FO, (not that anyone else could make the decision for them) either way.

Good luck to you on Sunday, as in I hope none of your players get hurt, but I'll definitely be rooting against you. We haven't beat any really strong teams yet this year, but I think if we can beat you in KC (which almost never happens, regardless of how good the Bolts are doing, or how bad KC is doing), it'll finally convince doubters that we're a team to reckon with this year.

Phobia
11-24-2004, 11:43 PM
We haven't beat any really strong teams yet this year, but I think if we can beat you in KC (which almost never happens, regardless of how good the Bolts are doing, or how bad KC is doing), it'll finally convince doubters that we're a team to reckon with this year.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the classy post. However.... beating KC will only convince Dick Vermeil that he was screwed by the refs. There is no honor in beating KC. Our team will likely roll over and beat themselves.

Brando
11-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Welcome aboard and thanks for the classy post. However.... beating KC will only convince Dick Vermeil that he was screwed by the refs. There is no honor in beating KC. Our team will likely roll over and beat themselves.
I don't know if he'll blame the refs after this one. I think he's due for a good cry.

Phobia
11-24-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't know if he'll blame the refs after this one. I think he's due for a good cry.

Nah - he won't cry unless we win. We know that we'll only win if Trent Green isn't forced to throw up a prayer with time ticking down - cuz he'll sit back there for 8 seconds and bite it.

The Bad Guy
11-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Drew Brees WILL NOT sign a contract extension in SD, I don't care how much PR spin he puts in any interview.

The guy would be stupid to go back with Rivers and his fat contract there.

Brees has elevated his play to the point he's going to get very graciously rewarded by some team in FA. If he goes back to SD, he risks the possibility that Rivers takes over if he struggles.

And if he struggles, his value is nothing again, which is why I can't see him playing out a franchise tag in SD.

Yeah, the Bolts will probably franchise him to get something - and they will.

But Brees signing there is about as far fetched as it gets given the Rivers' contract.

Msmith
11-25-2004, 05:47 AM
It also depends on how Brees plays the rest of the games. If he takes the Chargers (cough, cough)deep into the playoff or SB, there will be tremendous pressure for the SD to sign him (then trade him afterward?) in a multiyears contract.

The ideal situation is that he regresses into his 2003 old form which some Riverfans are hoping, then SD just lets him walk at the year end. But I don't see this happening.

No one knows how to answer this situation correctly. It is all in Drew's hands.

milkman
11-25-2004, 06:34 AM
I've heard on SD sportstalk radio that to franchise Brees the hit will be about 9 mil.
They've discussed the possibility of of tagging him and trading him, but that would be taking the chance that teams won't wait it out to see how it plays out.

I think what Brees has shown is that he can be a good QB in this league if you give him an O-Line that can protect him.
He doesn't make good decisions when under pressure.
He doesn't have a strong arm.

When given time, he can beat you, so he doesn't have to be put on a leash like a Trent Dilfer.

He's a solid NFL QB, but I don't believe he's worth 9 mil.

Count Zarth
11-25-2004, 06:39 AM
I think what Brees has shown is that he can be a good QB in this league if you give him an O-Line that can protect him.
He doesn't make good decisions when under pressure.
He doesn't have a strong arm.

I dunno. I watched the Raider game and he made a huge play under pressure to seal the victory.

I haven't watched many Charger games this year so I can't say for sure....

milkman
11-25-2004, 06:52 AM
I dunno. I watched the Raider game and he made a huge play under pressure to seal the victory.

I haven't watched many Charger games this year so I can't say for sure....

Yeah, he will make a play on occassion, but that's exception.

sparkky
11-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Bolt fans,,,,,,,,
wouldn't the cap hit be killer if you kept Brees and traded Rivers??

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Yeah, he will make a play on occassion, but that's exception.

you obisously havent been watching the chargers play at all, not that i really expect you to being a chiefs fan, but lets not spout off things we dont know about.

I have everygame on my server if you wanna watch and see im not talking out of my butt.

Name Att Comp Yds Comp% Yds/Comp Sack Int TD
Drew B. 276 178 2080 64.5 11.7 10 3 19

now i know those arent God like numbers, but i dont think its" on Occassion" either I know last yr was pretty horrible as well but it wasnt all Drew B's Fault either, you guys should understand well what happens to the Qb when you have a good oline protecting you you have the best oline in football, have for yrs.

its really cool to beable to talk football instead of running bs like some fans do thanks for being great football fans

peace spit

ohhh wait

Happy Thanks giving to the Heartland I grew up there Tg is special in the midwest enjoy.

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Bolt fans,,,,,,,,
wouldn't the cap hit be killer if you kept Brees and traded Rivers??

if we traded Rivers (which aint gonna happen) yes it would kill our cap
his signing bonus would be accelerated and we would be done.
we have the cap space to possibly either franchise brees or tag and trade, I personally dont like the tag and trade deal as it could burn us badly.

its a very interesting situation one im kinda happy we have its not every yr we have good season and then have to pick between two promising young qb's I mean honestly what do you do, if it was up to me I would desperatly(sp) try and sign and trade Drew. dont get me wrong I like the guy alot, but I also know that we have a guy sittin on the sidelines with potential to be even better than brees( who knows if he will live up to that expectation)

here's my question to you.

What would You do?

peace spit

milkman
11-25-2004, 09:55 AM
you obisously havent been watching the chargers play at all, not that i really expect you to being a chiefs fan, but lets not spout off things we dont know about.

I have everygame on my server if you wanna watch and see im not talking out of my butt.

Name Att Comp Yds Comp% Yds/Comp Sack Int TD
Drew B. 276 178 2080 64.5 11.7 10 3 19

now i know those arent God like numbers, but i dont think its" on Occassion" either I know last yr was pretty horrible as well but it wasnt all Drew B's Fault either, you guys should understand well what happens to the Qb when you have a good oline protecting you you have the best oline in football, have for yrs.

its really cool to beable to talk football instead of running bs like some fans do thanks for being great football fans

peace spit

ohhh wait

Happy Thanks giving to the Heartland I grew up there Tg is special in the midwest enjoy.

If you read my post, you'd know I was talking about his play when under pressure.

You'd know that I said that he's a good NFL QB, when he is given protection.

You'd know that I said he makes bad decisions when under pressure.

There are, and have been QBs that make plays when they have defenders chasing them, or getting in their face.

Drew Brees isn't one of them.
But I also know that there aren't a lot of those types.

All I am saying is that Brees isn't a 9 mil dollar QB.

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 10:01 AM
I agree he's not a 9 million dollar qb,
but realisticly he has done just fine this season under some pressure ( sure he's made a few mistakes but who hasnt under pressure?)

last yr well thats a differrent story

sparkky
11-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Spit,,,,,,,,,,
You guys have a nice problem! But it's a shame Brees isn't under contract so you could at least trade him and get something.
I just don't see a way you can keep him or get too much for him.
I think he's somewhere else next year for little or nothing.

milkman
11-25-2004, 10:15 AM
I agree he's not a 9 million dollar qb,
but realisticly he has done just fine this season under some pressure ( sure he's made a few mistakes but who hasnt under pressure?)

last yr well thats a differrent story

See, we agree.

Tom Brady doesn't make many mistakes under pressure.
Joe Montana was calm and cool.
Elway ( :cuss: )

There's others.
But, I admit they aren't very common.

BTW, just so you know, the Chiefs play most of their games in the A.M. (out here in Cal.), and the Chargers most in the P.M., so I've watched most of the Charger games for the last 2 years.

I'm rooting for Marty to win a few games, so that he can become the HC with the most victories to never have appeared in a league (not to be confused with conference) championship game.

He only needs about 30 more career victories to catch up to Chuck Knox, who has 198 career wins without a championship appearence.

I want to be able to call Marty the "winningest loser of all time".

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 10:24 AM
See, we agree.

Tom Brady doesn't make many mistakes under pressure.
Joe Montana was calm and cool.
Elway ( :cuss: )

There's others.
But, I admit they aren't very common.

BTW, just so you know, the Chiefs play most of their games in the A.M. (out here in Cal.), and the Chargers most in the P.M., so I've watched most of the Charger games for the last 2 years.

I'm rooting for Marty to win a few games, so that he can become the HC with the most victories to never have appeared in a league (not to be confused with conference) championship game.

He only needs about 30 more career victories to catch up to Chuck Knox, who has 198 career wins without a championship appearence.

I want to be able to call Marty the "winningest loser of all time".

Agreed Tom Brady is the Man you just dont see him get flustard

as for marty being the winningest coach to never win anything LOL thats funny stuffI know I hated him while he was your guys's coach and i hated him after his first two yrs here Im not sold on him yet.

( i do have to give him credit for changing up his style " I NEVER thought that would happen)

Sparkky

yea in all honestly we probably dont get squart for him Unless we win the Sb, and I just dont think we have a realistic shot at winning it, hell im not so sure we even get in the playoffs Unless we outright win the division, looking at the standings right now "we are on the Outside Looking In"

Spit

milkman
11-25-2004, 10:28 AM
I think you have real shot at winning the division.

I don't have the schedule in front of me, but I think you have winnable games through the rest of the season, and I believe your next game with the Donkeys is in your house.

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 10:39 AM
I think you have real shot at winning the division.

I don't have the schedule in front of me, but I think you have winnable games through the rest of the season, and I believe your next game with the Donkeys is in your house.

ok the remaining schedule

Sunday, 11/28 @ Kansas City Chiefs *A place we havent won in YRS*
should be close and we squeak by in late 4th qtr how i do not know.

Sunday, 12/5 Denver Broncos at our house were we have been stomping on people badly (prediction we win by a TD)

Sunday, 12/12 Tampa Bay Buccaneers I honestly think we can win but bucs have a tough D agian at home we should beat them by a td or more

Sunday, 12/19 @ Cleveland Browns Win, i just dont think the browns can cover gates and mccardell

Sunday, 12/26 @ Indianapolis Colts we lose this one unless we get lucky and pic off P manning a few times

Sunday, 1/2 Kansas City Chiefs *The spoiler Game* this could be a spoiler you guys come in to our house and knock us out of the division title and we miss the play off agian.

( by the way i hope thats not the case im going to this game with my wife who is a chief fan)

the only way i see us winning the division is if you guys and the raiders can beat the broncos and we do as i predicted lol yea right were talking about the chargers lol

Spit

Hydrae
11-25-2004, 10:39 AM
I have to ask the stupid question that I should know the answer to. Would it be possible to put a transition tag on Brees? That would hold him in SD for next year to give Rivers more time to develop and give the FO time to move Brees somewhere else without a lot of the other issues noted in this thread.

Phobia
11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
if it was up to me I would desperatly(sp) try and sign and trade Drew.

I remember way back when signing and trading draftees was illegal. I don't know WTF happened with the Giant/Charger swap in April, but somebody must have looked the other way. Anybody care to shed some light on that deal?

I don't think you could reasonably sign and trade Brees. He's not going to sign for peanuts and the cap ramifications would be nasty.

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
im not sure about it i asked this question myelf at the charger forum, and know one seemed to know exactly

and all i here is franchise tag no one brings up the transitional tag at all i guess i should go to nflpa.org and read up on that Good question IMHO

Phobia
11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
I have to ask the stupid question that I should know the answer to. Would it be possible to put a transition tag on Brees? That would hold him in SD for next year to give Rivers more time to develop and give the FO time to move Brees somewhere else without a lot of the other issues noted in this thread.
Transition tag holds zero compensation. Brees isn't required to sign that tender and the Chargers would be left with nothing. Same situation with Tait last year.

milkman
11-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I remember way back when signing and trading draftees was illegal. I don't know WTF happened with the Giant/Charger swap in April, but somebody must have looked the other way. Anybody care to shed some light on that deal?

I don't think you could reasonably sign and trade Brees. He's not going to sign for peanuts and the cap ramifications would be nasty.

Haven't you learned yet that NFL rules are suspended for anyone with the name 'Manning'?

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Transition tag holds zero compensation. Brees isn't required to sign that tender and the Chargers would be left with nothing. Same situation with Tait last year.

ok some claification nfpla says exactly that no compensation.

actually we have a lotta cash to play with in the cap over 20 mil so in all honestly it could happen, and probably will drew has stated several times we would like to comeback who knows its a mess that im Enjoying at the moment Trust me I wont enjoy the situation this offseason

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Haven't you learned yet that NFL rules are suspended for anyone with the name 'Manning'?

LOL thats So Freaking Funny its Hilarious

shaneo69
11-25-2004, 11:34 AM
2004 Drew Brees = 2003 Jon Kitna

These guys are almost clones of themselves. Kitna apparently really did want to stay in Cincy and didn't mind going back to the bench after a great year. Maybe Brees will do the same. It's really not a bad way to make a living, being the 2nd string QB. Just ask Todd Collins.

RxKbolt
11-25-2004, 03:28 PM

Its because Manning and Rivers did not sign with either team yet. Their rights to be signed were traded so they were not singed and traded.

With slightly over 20 million in cap space next year they could do it, but the question is if they will. Some people have suggested to franchise Brees then have him negotiate a trade with a team he wants to go to then lifting the franchise tag so he can sign with the other team and the chargers recieve compensation. I do not think that is legal or that if the chargers can do that. I'm not sure but I do not think they can do that.

milkman
11-28-2004, 05:57 AM
2004 Drew Brees = 2003 Jon Kitna

These guys are almost clones of themselves. Kitna apparently really did want to stay in Cincy and didn't mind going back to the bench after a great year. Maybe Brees will do the same. It's really not a bad way to make a living, being the 2nd string QB. Just ask Todd Collins.

I don't think that Brees will be satisfied to be a benchwarmer.

I heard him doing interveiws on SD sports talk radio, and the guy is competitive.
He could've sulked about his situation when the Chargers drafted Rivers, but he didn't.
He told radio listeners that Rivers was going to have to win that job, that he wasn't just going to hand it over to him.

Brees' competitive fire will make him a pretty good QB in the NFL for years to come, I think.
That's just one of those intangibles that can't be measured.

He has it, Kitna doesn't.

Ari Chi3fs
11-28-2004, 08:37 AM
i bet sandy eggo wishes they had snagged Larry Fitzgerald instead of Rivers now...

Ari Chi3fs
11-28-2004, 08:38 AM
btw ... how much does Drew Bree's mole count against the salary cap?