PDA

View Full Version : New U2 Album: Any Fans?

nychief
11-25-2004, 06:01 PM
I have to say I really like it. Although, I must say, I am never disappointed, Save Pop... Any other fans out there?

patteeu
11-25-2004, 06:07 PM
I've only heard the iPod commercial song (Vertigo?) but I really like it. What's the rest of the album like?

nychief
11-25-2004, 06:12 PM
they are using the producer from their first couple of albums this album reflects that.... it sounds more like Boy or October.

jspchief
11-25-2004, 06:38 PM
I've never understood the U2 popularity. I can honestly say I don't like any of their songs, and that's saying alot considering how diversified and eclectic my tastes in music are.

unlurking
11-25-2004, 06:48 PM
I've never understood the U2 popularity. I can honestly say I don't like any of their songs, and that's saying alot considering how diversified and eclectic my tastes in music are.
Gotta agree with ya there.

To be honest, I'm not sure what it is that I really don't like about them. For some reason, I just don't.

DJay23
11-25-2004, 06:50 PM
A buddy of mine had it playing while we were lifting the other day. Can't say anything really stood out to me other than the iPod song. I wasn't paying close attention, but nothing just really jumped at me and made me say, "oh this is awesome."

The Joshua Tree is still my favorite.

ENDelt260
11-25-2004, 06:53 PM
F*ck U2.

And f*ck that goddammed iPod song. Just hearing the name U2 starts the godawful thing in my head again.

big nasty kcnut
11-25-2004, 06:55 PM
u2 alway brings the goods. I liked pop by the way discoteque was great. staring at the sun is also great.

jAZ
11-25-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of U2.

I've also only heard the iPod song, but I like it. And given the sound of that song, I'm suprised to hear that the whole album sounds more like their early stuff.

But that's pretty exciting to me.

I've been a fan of theirs since the early 80s, and when Joshua Tree came out, I thought they had totally sold out.

But as I've gotten older, I've re-learned to love U2 again. Even their "sell-out" stuff.

So to hear that their new stuff sounds more like their old is very cool!

:thumb:

unlurking
11-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Screw the iPod.

Gimme a REAL portable stereo!

;)

the Talking Can
11-25-2004, 07:06 PM
isn't Vertigo the same song as Elevation?

I like their older stuff, but they seem to run out of ideas...it happens...though I was never a big fan, their music always seemed too calculated to me

nychief
11-25-2004, 07:08 PM
u2 alway brings the goods. I liked pop by the way discoteque was great. staring at the sun is also great.

I like a lot of POP, I guess I just burned out with the album - for some reason I saw that tour 3 times.

nychief
11-25-2004, 07:09 PM
isn't Vertigo the same song as Elevation?

I like their older stuff, but they seem to run out of ideas...it happens...though I was never a big fan, their music always seemed too calculated to me

I understand your point, but you should give it a listen... pretty good. My favorite so far si "Love and peace or else" it kicks ass.

Ari Chi3fs
11-25-2004, 10:00 PM
UNO DOS TRES CATORCE Hello Hello Hola....

I think their concert U2 Elevation Tour DVD is unreal... the band has longevity... and are constantly changing shit up. Good band.

Spicy McHaggis
11-26-2004, 12:23 AM
UNO DOS TRES CATORCE Hello Hello Hola....

I think their concert U2 Elevation Tour DVD is unreal... the band has longevity... and are constantly changing shit up. Good band.

Does it bother anyone else that they say uno dos tres catorce? Because I know if a band had a hit and started it "One, two, three, FOURTEEN!" I would probably kick them in the groin. And the fact that its Spanish rather than Gaelic, I mean c'mon who is Bono trying to fool here?

tk13
11-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Does it bother anyone else that they say uno dos tres catorce? Because I know if a band had a hit and started it "One, two, three, FOURTEEN!" I would probably kick them in the groin. And the fact that its Spanish rather than Gaelic, I mean c'mon who is Bono trying to fool here?
ROFL Yes, it took me a couple listens and I was like "wha...?"

Jenson71
11-26-2004, 12:30 AM
The only thing I know about U2 is the album All That You Can't Leave Behind and the simple song - The Sweetest Thing. I like them, although I've never gotten really into their music.

KcMizzou
11-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Meh, they're ok I guess. I like a few of their older songs.

They're slightly less over-rated than Rush.

Taco John
11-26-2004, 01:32 AM
I think it's hilarious that their lead song is known as "the iPod Song."

ENDelt260
11-26-2004, 03:47 AM
I wanna buy you a beer.

ENDelt260
11-26-2004, 03:48 AM
Meh, they're ok I guess. I like a few of their older songs.

They're slightly less over-rated than Rush.
Funnily enough... they grate on me slightly less than Rush.

God, I hate Rush.

ENDelt260
11-26-2004, 03:49 AM
Funnily enough... they grate on me slightly less than Rush.

God, I hate Rush.
Of course... at least Rush doesn't have a band member named "The Edge"

What an asshole. Yes, I'm going to have the definite article in my name. F*ck you, prick.

Miles
11-26-2004, 03:55 AM

What an asshole. Yes, I'm going to have the definite article in my name. F*ck you, prick.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

I f#cking hate that song.

Miles
11-26-2004, 03:58 AM

Its up there with people refering to themselves in the 3rd person. Im not sure which I hate more though. Who the f#ck would start calling himself "the edge"

ENDelt260
11-26-2004, 03:59 AM
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

I f#cking hate that song.
You deserve a beer, too.

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 06:26 AM
Yeah, Laverne and Shirley deserve the same for starting with 5 instead of 1.

The CD is actually quite good. It goes back to their heavier stuff (if you consider U2 heavy). The lyrics are what make this album. Very nice and definitely one of their top 5 if not top 3 releases.

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 06:27 AM
Hell, Jet would still be a 75.00 a night garage band instead of a two hit wonder without their "iPod Song".

patteeu
11-26-2004, 07:42 AM

Thanks alot, now you've ruined the whole song for me!

patteeu
11-26-2004, 07:50 AM

Another song I like a lot is "the KMart Song" also known as That Great Love Sound by the Raveonettes. I never really noticed it in the KMart commercial until after a friend (who shares my appreciation of a band with a similar sound, The Jesus and Mary Chain) turned me on to it. I had to google to figure out what company was using it in their advertisement to make this post though, so it obviously wasn't as effective as "the iPod Song."

nychief
11-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Its up there with people refering to themselves in the 3rd person. Im not sure which I hate more though. Who the f#ck would start calling himself "the edge"

does anyone really know someone that refers to themselves in the 3rd person? Other than seinfeld or shakespear I can't recall....

ENDelt260
11-26-2004, 08:54 PM
does anyone really know someone that refers to themselves in the 3rd person? Other than seinfeld or shakespear I can't recall....
I can think of a certain poster on this board.

dtebbe
11-26-2004, 08:57 PM
I used to like them. But if there is one think I hate, it's a bunch of hippies from another country trying to play a part in American politics. They should stick to peeling potatos and drinking bad beer.

DT

ENDelt260
11-26-2004, 08:59 PM
drinking bad beer.

WTF? If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting, I predict a fistfight.

Brando
11-26-2004, 09:01 PM
I used to like them. But if there is one think I hate, it's a bunch of hippies from another country trying to play a part in American politics. They should stick to peeling potatos and drinking bad beer.

DT

Hold on a minute..I know Guiness ain't no Stroh's but c'mon. The bad beer remark was uncalled for.

nychief
11-26-2004, 09:01 PM

DT

hummmm. if your taste in beer is any indication, i will disregard the music musings.

Ari Chi3fs
11-26-2004, 09:10 PM
apparently dtebbe isnt "BRILLIANT!" when it comes to brew.

Straight, No Chaser
11-26-2004, 10:13 PM
When I saw these guys at the Uptown Theatre I kinda felt they were going to be around for awhile. That concert was phenomenal. Saw them again in '86 at Compton Terrace; worked my way to the front with a Nikon and two friends claiming to be from Rolling Stone --that was a hoot. Two years later they played 2 shows at Sun Devil Stadium for 5$ to stop scalping (sold out both). This band is still around and relevant while many, many others are forgotten or still playing the state fair circuit with nothing new to write about.

--->

nychief
11-26-2004, 10:15 PM
When I saw these guys at the Uptown Theatre I kinda felt they were going to be around for awhile. That concert was phenomenal. Saw them again in '86 at Compton Terrace; worked my way to the front with a Nikon and two friends claiming to be from Rolling Stone --that was a hoot. Two years later they played 2 shows at Sun Devil Stadium for 5$ to stop scalping (sold out both). This band is still around and relevant while many, many others are forgotten or still playing the state fair circuit with nothing new to write about.

--->
:thumb:

DJay23
11-26-2004, 10:30 PM
and drinking bad beer.

DT
Are you hard of drinking?

dtebbe
11-27-2004, 12:51 AM
hummmm. if your taste in beer is any indication, i will disregard the music musings.

I'm not much on bitters and stouts. About the only way I can drink Guiness is black & tan. I'm a big fan of Weiss beer, fell in love with it when I was in the service in Germany. I guess being that I was 19 when I was in Germany drinking beer swung my tastes that way.

DT