PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap...I hate people.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 08:45 AM
This is the tale of a mere female mortal, who likes to believe that a kind heart and resiliency can get her through anything. However, today, at 8:12am Central Standard Time, she discovered....it could not. At the risk of garnering ridicule, for which I am sure I risk every time I step within these great hallowed walls we call Chiefsplanet, I am going to tell you about my woes.

They start with a computer. Not just any computer, but one that I purchased in the land of all things evil. This evil is no more apparent than on one particular day of the year, the dreaded and heinous day after Thanksgiving. My 26 day new and quite frankly, ostentatious computer became possessed the day before Thanksgiving. After booting, it resets itself, and reboots. This interminable cycle goes uninterrupted and if one had nothing more to do with their day, they could be quite amused by waiting until infinity for this to stop.

Knowing that there are times when viruses, worms, and other vicious malware can creep into the system, like jelly, sticking a piece of dropped toast to the floor, I checked my Norton virus definitions. All were up to date. No known problems in that category. So, being under the 30 day return agreement with the castle of the land of all things evil, I thought that I would like to return my piece of infinitely rebooting crap and have the demonic staff who entertains employment there look at it. Knowing that today, of all days, more blockhead schmucks would be in their cars, racing to find the treasures they think they have to have, I also thought that hopefully few of those schmucks would actually be returning or repairing their electronic treasures.

After standing in line for 45 minutes, with 5 other schmucks, I realized, I may be the biggest schmuck of all. What was I thinking?? One of the evil servants reluctantly agreed to try to diagnose my ills. After connecting my computer to his important diagnostic thingy, low and behold, there appeared a welcome screen....then a login screen....then a desktop. Could it be true? Did my eyes deceive me? Was my computer booting without issue right before my very eyes? It was glorious and caustic all at the same time. This couldn't be. Shaking my head in disbelief, I asked the coy rogue why this was not happening at my own domicile? He asked about antivirus software, he asked about virus definitions. When both of my answers were returned with confidence, he shrugged and offered up a rebuttal that I'm sure was intended to deceive. He proclaimed the problem must be in my faulty surge protector. What is this? My surge protector?

Could this seemingly shy scoundrel, a mere boy of 20 at most, be correct? My surge protector? Logically, this made no sense. However, my mind was racing and it was difficult to concentrate over the hoards of people scrambling, shouting, and scuffling to grab the last copy of Grand Theft Auto in one corner, and the Aladdin DVD in another. Then, there was the sound torture of Jessica Simpson which wailed from some sort of medieval sound system that was meant to drown out all kindness and resilience from those that entered the dark castle. The dark knight stood there, staring, with steam pouring from his nostrils (ok, not really, but it sounded good) and I, the fair maiden, staring back at him, feeling desperate, afraid, and ironically, alone, in this vast dominion of shoppers.

I stuttered, stammered, and asked what I should do? This boy, looking at me as if to knock me over with his words states "Take it home, plug it into the wall, and if it works, you'll know you need a new surge protector". It was victory at its finest, but it would not be mine. It would be enjoyed by the blue and yellow wearing demonic knight who would gleefully enjoy his victory over good by shouting "I'll help whoever's next!" And just like that. I was brushed aside.

Still not knowing for sure why my new computer refuses to boot for me. Looking for answers, I turn to you....oh fair and righteous people of the Planet. Please help me in my time of need. I am certainly not going to get help from the evildoers in the land of all things evil.

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 08:50 AM
It is obviously not the PC itself, but rather something peripheral. What you are connecting to the PC at home that was not connected at Best Buy?

Oh, and was Jessica Simpson actually there, cuz I have this cool fantasy about you and her that I get about halfway through 3 times a week before my wife strikes the back of my head.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 08:54 AM
That machine doesn't like you.

RedNeckRaider
11-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Pound your fist on the side of it several times, push the power button on and off several times, if the does not work unplug it then plug it back in. If after all this it still does not work sit there and stare at it with a confused look of despair, and then take it to a repair shop. Works for me.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Ok, this is the thing. I had plugged a card reader, a printer, a keyboard (duh), and a mouse. Then, the cables for my digi camera and my i-link connector for the video cam were plugged in, but the camera and video cam were not plugged in the other end. I thought this might be the issue, so I unplugged these last two and still the pc was having trouble.

I started it in safe mode and even did a system restore which didn't solve any of my ills. This is just so damn frustrating.

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Pound your fist on the side of it several times, push the power button on and off several times, if the does not work unplug it then plug it back in. If after all this it still does not work sit there and stare at it with a confused look of despair, and then take it to a repair shop. Works for me.
I have found that placing a hanger with tinfoil on it around a metal contact on back helps get better reception.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 08:58 AM
I have found that placing a hanger with tinfoil on it around a metal contact on back helps get better reception.
ROFL

Jenny Gump
That machine doesn't like you.

In the word of my six year old: "Well...duh".

KCWolfman
Ok, this is the thing. I had plugged a card reader, a printer, a keyboard (duh), and a mouse. Then, the cables for my digi camera and my i-link connector for the video cam were plugged in, but the camera and video cam were not plugged in the other end. I thought this might be the issue, so I unplugged these last two and still the pc was having trouble.

I started it in safe mode and even did a system restore which didn't solve any of my ills. This is just so damn frustrating.
Have you tried a different keyboard? I know it sounds stupid, but that keyboard may have a stuck contact that is causing the issue. It is worth a cheap shot.

RedNeckRaider
11-26-2004, 08:59 AM
I have found that placing a hanger with tinfoil on it around a metal contact on back helps get better reception. That is why I hang out here I am always learnin cool stuff.

Skip Towne
Seriously, if you have a voltmeter, check your voltage at the outlet you are using. I once had a location on my video game route that only had 114 vac. Some of my games wouldn't work there. You should have 120 vac at the outlet. Or I could come over and check it for you. :p

Jenny Gump
Have you tried a different keyboard? I know it sounds stupid, but that keyboard may have a stuck contact that is causing the issue. It is worth a cheap shot.

Ok. I will try it. Any other ideas?

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 09:00 AM
That is why I hang out here I am always learnin cool stuff.
Hell, what are you talking about. I am going to pound my fist on my kid and press his buttons until he cleans up his room and takes out his garbage. I obviously have learned from you as well.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Seriously, if you have a voltmeter, check your voltage at the outlet you are using. I once had a location on my video game route that only had 114 vac. Some of my games wouldn't work there. You should have 120 vac at the outlet. Or I could come over and check it for you. :p

Ok. If you could come over that would be great. Take 65 Hwy north. Just keep going. Can't miss it.

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Ok. I will try it. Any other ideas?
Unplug EVERYTHING else except the mouse and a different keyboard. Then if it boots up add the printer and other peripherals one by one until the issue occurs again.

You might want to even initially try it without the mouse.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 09:02 AM

Well...seriously, I have been using this same spot for all of my computers in the past. This rebooting thing reminds me of that sasser worm (I think that was the name).

RedNeckRaider
Hell, what are you talking about. I am going to pound my fist on my kid and press his buttons until he cleans up his room and takes out his garbage. I obviously have learned from you as well.Great now not only is your kid going to hate me for being a Oakland fan he is going to hate me for giving you that advice :shake:

Jenny Gump
Unplug EVERYTHING else except the mouse and a different keyboard. Then if it boots up add the printer and other peripherals one by one until the issue occurs again.

You might want to even initially try it without the mouse.

Okie dokie. Rep to you.

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Great now not only is your kid going to hate me for being a Oakland fan he is going to hate me for giving you that advice :shake:
Naw, I am pretty sure he will harbor animosity towards me until he is caught by the police for his killing spree.

RedNeckRaider
11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Naw, I am pretty sure he will harbor animosity towards me until he is caught by the police for his killing spree. Is your kid a R-aider fan? :shake: had to use it before someone else did!

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Is your kid a R-aider fan? :shake: had to use it before someone else did!
Man, you are kicking yourself today.... I gotta rep you to give you back some self esteem.

RedNeckRaider
11-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Man, you are kicking yourself today.... I gotta rep you to give you back some self esteem.
ROFL

KCWolfman
Okie dokie. Rep to you.
I would rather have that story about you and Jessica Simpson.

unlurking
As Mr. Wolfman suggests, try a new keyboard.

Actually, I would unplug EVERYTHING, and boot with ONLY a keyboard plugged in. If it boots, slowly attach each item one at a time and make sure it gets recognized correctly.

I gotta say though, the only reason I am posting in this thread is because I LOVED the way you wrote it! I have always been very fond of "over-the-top eloquence". I'm just having my morning coffe and cigarette and this is the first thing I've read this morning. Very cool way to start the day.

Thanks

Skip Towne
Well...seriously, I have been using this same spot for all of my computers in the past. This rebooting thing reminds me of that sasser worm (I think that was the name).
Some of my games would tolerate the low voltage. But some wouldn't. Also, if you have a polarity checker, plug it in to see that hot and neutral aren't reversed. PS. I have one.

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Some of my games would tolerate the low voltage. But some wouldn't. Also, if you have a polarity checker, plug it in to see that hot and neutral aren't reversed. PS. I have one.
I wonder if her other electrical devices are working properly?

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Four or five volts don't make much difference to most electrical devices. But the PC board in those games operated on +5 volts with a .25v Plus or minus. They would do very screwey things if the voltage at the chips were not between 4.75 and 5.25.

RedNeckRaider
11-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Four or five volts don't make much difference to most electrical devices. But the PC board in those games operated on +5 volts with a .25v Plus or minus. They would do very screwey things if the voltage at the chips were not between 4.75 and 5.25. Uh...Skip I don't think that is what Wolf was talking about :)

unlurking
11-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Ask her to fire up her "teledildonics" device and give you the address. You can test remotely via:

http://www.sinulator.com/

Check out the control panel demo at the bottom! Funny as hell!

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Uh...Skip I don't think that is what Wolf was talking about :)
Ya think he meant the battery operated ones?

RedNeckRaider
11-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Ya think he meant the battery operated ones?
That is the way I took it but maybe it is because the thread starter kind of makes a guy think along those lines :hmmm:

KCWolfman
11-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Ask her to fire up her "teledildonics" device and give you the address. You can test remotely via:

http://www.sinulator.com/

Check out the control panel demo at the bottom! Funny as hell!
LMAO

Phobia
11-26-2004, 09:41 AM

Video cam? Video cam?!?! Why didn't you tell me that during adult chat? Quite frankly, my imagination sucks and you telling me about the vegetables in the vagina would have been much better had you simply switched on the damned video cam.

What are you doing in half an hour?

Calcountry
11-26-2004, 10:26 AM
As Mr. Wolfman suggests, try a new keyboard.

Actually, I would unplug EVERYTHING, and boot with ONLY a keyboard plugged in. If it boots, slowly attach each item one at a time and make sure it gets recognized correctly.

I gotta say though, the only reason I am posting in this thread is because I LOVED the way you wrote it! I have always been very fond of "over-the-top eloquence". I'm just having my morning coffe and cigarette and this is the first thing I've read this morning. Very cool way to start the day.

Thanks
I also enjoyed the read, but alas, the coffee pot was left on on Wednesday so it is boiled down. I am currently awaiting the replacement pot.

:banghead:

Rausch
11-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Ok. If you could come over that would be great. Take 65 Hwy north. Just keep going. Can't miss it.

Awwwww....

Michael Michigan
11-26-2004, 10:36 AM
I also enjoyed the read, but alas, the coffee pot was left on on Wednesday so it is boiled down. I am currently awaiting the replacement pot.

Other than demanding the "blue and yellow wearing demonic knight" exchange it for a different machine I would suggest an ad match and move your buying dollars to Circuit City.

Also--

I do concur that this is a very good read. Do you write for a living?

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Awwwww....
ROFL

Now shut up smart azz.

KC Dan
11-26-2004, 10:48 AM
I have had the same thing happen. It was my wireless mouse batteries. When replaced all was well again.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Video cam? Video cam?!?! Why didn't you tell me that during adult chat? Quite frankly, my imagination sucks and you telling me about the vegetables in the vagina would have been much better had you simply switched on the damned video cam.

Well, next time I'll know to have it ready to go in under 17 seconds....Mr. Speedy.

Rausch
11-26-2004, 10:53 AM
ROFL

Now shut up smart azz.

Oh, and here's (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/) a one step cure to your computer problems...

Rausch
11-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Well, next time I'll know to have it ready to go in under 17 seconds....Mr. Speedy.

Tread lightly...she is a master of emasculating language and one liners...

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Oh, and here's (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/) a one step cure to your computer problems...

Point taken.

Brad 1
Me 0

Rausch
11-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Point taken.

Brad 1
Me 0

Do I get to cash these points in for free beer or what? :)

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Do I get to cash these points in for free beer or what? :)

Actually, I know this guy in Jeff City who will give you free beer...you can find him at....oh wait...nevermind.

Sure. I'll start you a punchcard.

Phobia
11-26-2004, 11:02 AM

To be honest, I had some pics up on my end, too.

Hope you have a fabulous holiday despite your 'puter troubles.

Is your 'puter shutting down normally or is it shutting off completely? I think clarification on that issue would simplify the troubleshooting. Unless the surge supressor suggestion fixed it and my reading comprehension requires a tuneup.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 11:03 AM
OK, I'm in Sedalia, what now?

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:08 AM
OK, I'm in Sedalia, what now?
You're doing fine. Just keep going.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 11:11 AM
You're doing fine. Just keep going.
OK. Will you be standing out by the mailbox? While you are waiting, read my "Can you type" thread.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:12 AM
To be honest, I had some pics up on my end, too.

Hope you have a fabulous holiday despite your 'puter troubles.

Is your 'puter shutting down normally or is it shutting off completely? I think clarification on that issue would simplify the troubleshooting. Unless the surge supressor suggestion fixed it and my reading comprehension requires a tuneup.

Not sure I know what you mean, but here's what happens:

I push the power button, pc boots, get to the XP user login welcome screen and before I can click anything the pc beeps and the screen goes blank, and you can hear the tower booting all over again.

Then it cycles through this whole scenario again, and again, and again, and again, and again, etc.

Like I said, I started it in safe mode and did a system restore. After the restore, the pc stayed booted for about 20 minutes that time, then went through this whole thing again.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:13 AM
OK. Will you be standing out by the mailbox? While you are waiting, read my "Can you type" thread.

Oh I read it alright.

Rausch
11-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Like I said, I started it in safe mode and did a system restore. After the restore, the pc stayed booted for about 20 minutes that time, then went through this whole thing again.

ROFL

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:14 AM
ROFL

What gives?

KC Dan
11-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Not sure I know what you mean, but here's what happens:

I push the power button, pc boots, get to the XP user login welcome screen and before I can click anything the pc beeps and the screen goes blank, and you can hear the tower booting all over again.

Then it cycles through this whole scenario again, and again, and again, and again, and again, etc.

Do you have any wireless periphreals connected? Mouse, keyboard, camera? If so, change their batteries. I stated earliler in the thread that that is exactly what my computer does when the wireless batteries die, boot-reboot-reboot...

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Do you have any wireless periphreals connected? Mouse, keyboard, camera? If so, change their batteries. I stated earliler in the thread that that is exactly what my computer does when the wireless batteries die, boot-reboot-reboot...

Nothing wireless. Thanks for the input though.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:18 AM

I wonder though if it has anything to do with having my video cam or my digital camera plugged in? Although I unplugged those things and it still did it.

Phobia
11-26-2004, 11:25 AM
So, removing the surge supressor changed nothing?

Sounds pretty hokey. Are you comfortable opening the case? You might have something loose inside. A computer will exhibit this behavior if you have a board or memory stick loose.

Mr. Kotter
11-26-2004, 11:26 AM
I wonder though if it has anything to do with having my video cam or my digital camera plugged in? Although I unplugged those things and it still did it.

We DO hope you do get THOSE working...as long us you give us the url... :p

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 11:27 AM

Sounds pretty hokey. Are you comfortable opening the case? You might have something loose inside. A computer will exhibit this behavior if you have a board or memory stick loose.
Then why did it work at Best Buy?

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:31 AM

I'm at work, so I haven't tried the whole "plug it into the wall" idea yet. I am very comfortable with opening the case, but if I DO that, then the kingdom of all things evil will void my warranty etc.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:32 AM

Good point. This is so frustrating. You could tell the dude at BB didn't really know what to tell me. I think I just blew his mind by not being there to buy something.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 11:33 AM
We DO hope you do get THOSE working...as long us you give us the url... :p

THIS? This is what you have to offer to help me? Bah.

Mr. Kotter
11-26-2004, 11:45 AM
THIS? This is what you have to offer to help me? Bah.

Sorry. I'm no computer experter though; I'll check it over when I get the chance here....and get back too ya. After I take care of a couple of things. :thumb:

Phobia
11-26-2004, 12:23 PM

She changed a dozen variables at best buy. One of them is causing her problem. Given the unexplained frequency of the problem, I'd lean towards a loose component inside the case. While troubleshooting it at BB, the tech may have placed the box in such a way that the issue was temporarily solved by gravity.

I dunno for certain. If I were there, I could troubleshoot it effectively.

Mr. Kotter
11-26-2004, 12:40 PM
My amateur advice would be, if it worked there, Jenny....replicate, as best you can, the conditions there. Unhook all your peripherals, and then reboot; if it doesn't reboot, as Phil suggested, you're probably gonna need to remove the cover, and look around for loose connections or at the least check to see that all the connections are secure. If you take the cover all, make sure you are grounded so you don't fry any of the electronics with static electricity.

If it reboots without all the peripherals, then reattach them one at a time; rebooting after each installation. As long as it boots, go on to the next. By the process of elimination, you might be able to figure out which one is giving you the problem.

Of course, I am strictly a trial-and-error amateur; I have had not offical "training" other than tinkering on my own. So proceed at your own risk.

Best wishes and good luck.

:thumb:

(Be sure to give us/me that URL if this works; I'd think a free annual membership would be in line, don't you? :p If you must, PM it to me to keep these other scoundrels from bargin' in....I assure complete confidentiality, and no copy and pastes here to the planet.... :) )

JK, about the url Jenny.....hope your Thanksgiving Day dilemma is soon solved. :thumb:

Scorp
11-26-2004, 12:40 PM
While I am no computer genius.....I have built a number of systems for myself.

One thing that comes to mind is a heat issue. Check the fan that sits over your chipset on your motherboard. First make sure the fan is running and second make sure your heat sink is firmly attached to the chipset. If the heatsink is not seated firmly, your chipset could be overheating causing the reboots.

That is the first thing that comes to mind...........more to follow later.

Helmet
11-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Did you check the event log if there is some information there? I assume you have Windows XP.. just press the WIN Button + r , type in eventvwr and hit the Enter button. See if you can find any information in the application or system log. If you find any, post them.
Make a Right-Click on "My Computer" and klick on "Properties" . then go to "Advanced" and then to "Start up and Recovery" , click on "Settings" .
Look at System Failure..if "Automatically restart" is checked, uncheck it. Thus you should be able to read the bluescreen if there is one before the frequent restarts. If there is one, write down the information. Usually only the message at the beginning is important. Write that down and post it. If "Small (or Complete or Kernel) memory dump" is already checked under "Write debugging information" , you can find that debugfile in your systemroot , usually C:\Windows in either the folder Minidump, or in C:\Windows by the name MEMORY.DMP. If you find those files, compress them and send them to me by mail. I will analyze them and see if there is any useful info in it.
Maybe we could circle in the problem by this.

Phobia
11-26-2004, 12:48 PM
The last two posts are quality.

Nice job Scorp' & Helmet.

Phobia
11-26-2004, 12:50 PM
In addition, dump c:\my documents\my pictures\nude\*.* to a zip file and email it to me. I'll analyze the contents and report back to you free of charge.

XXXshogunXXX
11-26-2004, 12:52 PM
what do you want him to do, if it booted by itself there, then it's probably something fcked up at your house...like a surge protector? he told you to bypass it and see if that works, but, you dont know anything about computers, and decide to grow a brain, think it's something else and refuse to take his advice. I worked at tech support...so I know how it feels. People are asking for help, but when they receive it, they offer their own suggestions and opinons.....but theyre still asking for help? Dont ask for help if you dont need it. You cant expect him to boot that sht 5 times waiting for something to crash...obvisouly..other people wre in line, and...he already gave you a suggestion. Did you take his advice and try it?

Phobia
11-26-2004, 12:59 PM
what do you want him to do, if it booted by itself there, then it's probably something fcked up at your house...like a surge protector? he told you to bypass it and see if that works, but, you dont know anything about computers, and decide to grow a brain, think it's something else and refuse to take his advice. I worked at tech support...so I know how it feels. People are asking for help, but when they receive it, they offer their own suggestions and opinons.....but theyre still asking for help? Dont ask for help if you dont need it. You cant expect him to boot that sht 5 times waiting for something to crash...obvisouly..other people wre in line, and...he already gave you a suggestion. Did you take his advice and try it?

I think you need help with the old reading comprehension as well. Or.... maybe it's me. Nevermind. It's probably me.

XXXshogunXXX
11-26-2004, 01:28 PM
yeah..its you.. I mightve sounded harsh..sorry gump....I always wanted to tell the person on the ohter line what i really felt..but couldnt becaues of the job etc... anyways..just try his suggestion..it wouldnt hurt.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Load it up and take it to your neighbor's house (or your mother's) and see if it boots up there. If it does, CHECK YOUR ELECTRICITY (like I told you 4 pages ago)

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 02:01 PM

Maybe you should try reading the thread. I was being facitious about the tech and even called myself a schmuck.

No, I haven't tried his suggestion yet (again, already covered in the meat of the thread) as I am at work right now. This happened before I came into work, and I live ~20-25 miles from work. So no, I didn't refuse to take his advice. On the other hand, I called my boyfriend after visiting the store, and he said it sounded like a joke of a remedy. He knows more about computers than I do....but that's not saying much considering, as you put it, I "don't know anything about computers".

So, as I try to grow my brain, I'm baffled that you, being the epitomy of computer wizardry, haven't offered up any suggestions yourself. I wasn't knocking the tech. In fact, you have to capture three gold cauldrons to obtain the title of "dark knight". So why don't you crawl out from under your Star Trek bedsheets and go find a sense of humor?

Thanks for contributing.

go bowe
11-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Maybe you should try reading the thread. I was being facitious about the tech and even called myself a schmuck.

No, I haven't tried his suggestion yet (again, already covered in the meat of the thread) as I am at work right now. This happened before I came into work, and I live ~20-25 miles from work. So no, I didn't refuse to take his advice. On the other hand, I called my boyfriend after visiting the store, and he said it sounded like a joke of a remedy. He knows more about computers than I do....but that's not saying much considering, as you put it, I "don't know anything about computers".

So, as I try to grow my brain, I'm baffled that you, being the epitomy of computer wizardry, haven't offered up any suggestions yourself. I wasn't knocking the tech. In fact, you have to capture three gold cauldrons to obtain the title of "dark knight". So why don't you crawl out from under your Star Trek bedsheets and go find a sense of humor?

Thanks for contributing.gee, for a second there i thought you were talking to gochiefs... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 02:07 PM
While I am no computer genius.....I have built a number of systems for myself.

One thing that comes to mind is a heat issue. Check the fan that sits over your chipset on your motherboard. First make sure the fan is running and second make sure your heat sink is firmly attached to the chipset. If the heatsink is not seated firmly, your chipset could be overheating causing the reboots.

That is the first thing that comes to mind...........more to follow later.

rep to you...thanks

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Did you check the event log if there is some information there? I assume you have Windows XP.. just press the WIN Button + r , type in eventvwr and hit the Enter button. See if you can find any information in the application or system log. If you find any, post them.
Make a Right-Click on "My Computer" and klick on "Properties" . then go to "Advanced" and then to "Start up and Recovery" , click on "Settings" .
Look at System Failure..if "Automatically restart" is checked, uncheck it. Thus you should be able to read the bluescreen if there is one before the frequent restarts. If there is one, write down the information. Usually only the message at the beginning is important. Write that down and post it. If "Small (or Complete or Kernel) memory dump" is already checked under "Write debugging information" , you can find that debugfile in your systemroot , usually C:\Windows in either the folder Minidump, or in C:\Windows by the name MEMORY.DMP. If you find those files, compress them and send them to me by mail. I will analyze them and see if there is any useful info in it.
Maybe we could circle in the problem by this.

I appreciate your thoughtful post. I really do. As soon as I can keep my computer from rebooting by itself, maybe I will try this. Rep.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Now I'm in Des Moines. Is it much farther?

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Now I'm in Des Moines. Is it much farther?

When the customs officer asks if you have anything to declare, you've gone too far.

Helmet
11-26-2004, 03:14 PM
I appreciate your thoughtful post. I really do. As soon as I can keep my computer from rebooting by itself, maybe I will try this. Rep.

just trying to help :) you said you were able to boot it into safe mode. Can you always boot it into safe mode or does it do the reboots also? Anyway, if you can get it into safe mode, you can take the steps I posted earlier.
The heat thing scorp' is a very real possibilty. After you checked the chipset cooler, also check the CPU cooler and maybe do a finger test on the memory stick (but discharge yourself before like SDChiefsfan said). If it seems to be too hot, try to place it in the slot which is away the farthest from the CPU cooler. Had that on a system once.. placed the RAM module two slots to the right and the problems disappeared (same symptoms as your's).
Problems with the power supply unit and also with the surge protector, or the combination of both, could lead to those problems... in fact, it could be almost everything.

@Phobia @ analyzing ROFL

dirk digler
11-26-2004, 03:38 PM
I am somewhat a computer "expert" since that is my real job. What unlurking suggested is your best bet.

Since you can boot into safe mode my bet would that it could be a corrupt device driver since safe mode only loads the basic drivers it needs to run; ie keyboard, mouse and basic video drivers.

Try what unlurking suggested first and honestly I can't imagine a bad surge protector making your computer reboot but I have had stranger things happen.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 03:52 PM
I am somewhat a computer "expert" since that is my real job. What unlurking suggested is your best bet.

Since you can boot into safe mode my bet would that it could be a corrupt device driver since safe mode only loads the basic drivers it needs to run; ie keyboard, mouse and basic video drivers.

Try what unlurking suggested first and honestly I can't imagine a bad surge protector making your computer reboot but I have had stranger things happen.
Would that explain why it works at Best Buy but not at her house? I can't get past that fact.

FloridaChief
11-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Looking for answers, I turn to you....oh fair and righteous people of the Planet.

First, go back to using your goddamned thesaurus as a doorstop. I was 45 minutes into the thread-starter before I realized there was no masturbatory payoff-material forthcoming...

:cuss:

dirk digler
11-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Would that explain why it works at Best Buy but not at her house? I can't get past that fact.

Probably since she didn't take every device she had there. She probably just took her tower and they hooked up their own keyboard, mice and monitor.

You know Jenny, this is what I would try if I where you. I just thought of this so if you are comfortable doing it then try it.

Start by doing what unlurking suggested and then try this below. I assume you are using XP.

Start up Windows in safe mode, go to run, type in msconfig and go to the Startup tab. Hit the Disable all button and hit OK and you will be asked to reboot your PC. Say yes and reboot and see if it loads Windows. If it does go one by one in the startup tab until you find the problem. That means check one box reboot your PC and keep doing that until you have checked all of the boxes or until you find what keeps rebooting your PC.

Also by doing this you can find programs that automatically start up when Windows does so you can limit that and that ultimately speeds up your boot/load time.

LiL stumppy
11-26-2004, 06:04 PM
:cuss:

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Well...here I am. At home. Obviously booted up. Plugged into the wall. Mmmmm, this sure is some yummy crow.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Well...here I am. At home. Obviously booted up. Plugged into the wall. Mmmmm, this sure is some yummy crow.
No crow necessary. It had all the techies running crazy too. I'll bet that suppressor is causing a voltage drop that many computers won't tolerate. I wouldn't use it on anything that has an electric motor either. It can cause them to burn up.

Bob Dole
11-26-2004, 07:26 PM
You know what I have always loved about people who work in Tech Support? They always fancy themselves as some sort of demi-god who sees the rest of the world as retarded...

You think it might be because the rest of the world is retarded?

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 07:34 PM
No crow necessary. It had all the techies running crazy too. I'll bet that suppressor is causing a voltage drop that many computers won't tolerate. I wouldn't use it on anything that has an electric motor either. It can cause them to burn up.

Thanks for the advice. Good thing I am fully stocked with C batteries.

BTW, how is Winnipeg this time of year?

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Yeah, about that. I ran out of gas in Minnesota and had to sell my van for gas money.

dirk digler
11-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Damn I was wrong. :banghead:

Well at least you got if fixed. :thumb:

unlurking
11-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Damn I was wrong. :banghead:

Well at least you got if fixed. :thumb:
ahh, who cares.

Just keep posting, that sig pic is nice!

;)

Nzoner
11-26-2004, 08:05 PM

I just read this entire thread to make sure it wasn't all Joe's fault again.

Good to hear your puter problems are all better as mine are getting worse and believe me from reading this thread you know more than I do,looks like I'm calling a home service tech on Monday.:mad:

Bob Dole
11-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, about that. I ran out of gas in Minnesota and had to sell my van for gas money.

So you're now just sleeping on the ground down by the river?

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah, for now. But I'm sure Jenny is on her way to get me.

Jenny Gump
11-26-2004, 08:20 PM

ROFL I heard that sizzle all the way from Texarkana.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Something else that would happen to me with that game route. The store would call and say the game wasn't working. I'd go to look at it and sure enough it wasn't. So I'd bring it back to the shop and it would start working. Then I'd take it back to the store and it would continue to work. This happened several times over a ten year period. I finally concluded it just wanted to go for a ride on the truck.

dirk digler
11-26-2004, 09:12 PM
I just read this entire thread to make sure it wasn't all Joe's fault again.

Good to hear your puter problems are all better as mine are getting worse and believe me from reading this thread you know more than I do,looks like I'm calling a home service tech on Monday.:mad:

What is the matter with yours maybe I could be of some assistance.

Bob Dole
11-26-2004, 09:15 PM
What is the matter with yours maybe I could be of some assistance.

Bob Dole would like to point out that your post should have read as follows:

What is the matter with yours? Maybe I could be of some assistance, retard.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Bob Dole would like to point out that your post should have read as follows:

What is the matter with yours? Maybe I could be of some assistance, retard.
You have about as much tact as a rattlesnake.

Bob Dole
11-26-2004, 09:23 PM
You have about as much tact as a rattlesnake.

It's a gift...

OldTownChief
11-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Without reading the whole thread, I would suggest you try a new surge protector (if your using one)

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Without reading the whole thread, I would suggest you try a new surge protector (if your using one)
Well, damn, we could have avoided 7 pages of aborted ideas if we would have just consulted you first. However, the reason we didn't is because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and we decided to explore the more intelligent responses first. Our bad.

OldTownChief
11-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Well, damn, we could have avoided 7 pages of aborted ideas if we would have just consulted you first. However, the reason we didn't is because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and we decided to explore the more intelligent responses first. Our bad.

Thanks professor. But pointing out spelling and grammatical errors is usually the sign of a very weak mind. :p But I'm sure your knew that.

XXXshogunXXX
11-27-2004, 12:07 AM
You know what I have always loved about people who work in Tech Support? They always fancy themselves as some sort of demi-god who sees the rest of the world as retarded......and most of the time in their personal life they are the most backward, a$$-wiping, sewer-sniffing, rejects who couldn't sniff a life worth living.

They usually make the assumption that everyone hasn't tried the most simple of steps, when what they really need is to listen to what the customer is saying. :mad: :cuss:

Sorry, i've always wanted to say that to the Tech Support Person on the other end of the line....

mmaddog

no...you can never trust or underestimate the stupidity of the caller. This is a good example. The problem was given, But the person on the other end did not like the solution..and what happened? he was right. I had clalers call in all the time offering their own suggestions and worthless opinions...why? Ive dealt with the product hundreds of hours more than the person on the other end..but they try to grow brains and want their own specific solution that sounds nice to them...why do they even ask for help if they dont want it.

Jennygump went on a rant about the tech guy..saying he just blew her off... I was almost 100% sure that wouldve fixed the problem, her case was totally based on hardware. So...who was wrong in this case? Him or Her? you didnt have to slander the guy..he knew what he was talkikng about. Her computer doesnt boot at home, but boots at bestbuy......is there a box that needs to be checked that says "boot at home, not at Bestbuy". Did you want him to search an hour for it, or have him give you the real solution. Booting into safe mode wont fix a hardware issue. which is why I said.. take his advice.

Skip Towne
11-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks professor. But pointing out spelling and grammatical errors is usually the sign of a very weak mind. :p But I'm sure your knew that.
Knew what?

XXXshogunXXX
11-27-2004, 09:16 AM
You are the perfect example of what I am talking about.....you're the kind of guy who would slander someone because you think you know more than the other person....

Look at what you just typed.....you sound so damn arrogant and all-knowing. You're probably the kind of guy who could be helpful, but just because you've some additional knowledge you decide that it's your job to act like the rest of humanity is ignorant. Tech support is a CUSTOMER SERVICE function.....not a customer dis-service opportunity. I've seen Tech Support persons who may be a whiz with machinery, but can barely dress, ties their shoes, or god forbid can barely drive an automobile without doing property damage......and sure as hell can't balance a checkbook, maintain good credit, or even run a business successfully. Right now I am doing consulting work for a gentleman who runs a business that provides Tech Support on small appliances....he's a great engineer, but can't figure out numbers to save his soul. Do I act like he is an idiot? Hell no.....it's just that he has better focus on some things more than others.

Jenny went on her rant because, she, like the rest of us who look to Tech Support for additional assistance, get in person what you are displaying behind a keyboard...it's so much fun to go into a place like BB or CC and ask one of the "all-knowing" techies and have them give you the attitude...you know, like the character that Jimmy Fallon played on Saturday Night Live.....rather than listen to me explain the steps I have already then tell me what to do next, they completely ignore me and explain that I should take the steps I have already taken.

You know where I have gotten most of my assistance? Here!!! I steadfastly refuse to ask for help from Tech Support anymore because they try to make you feel like a moron.....a little patience is what many Techies could use.....I know I have to practice it in my profession.

mmaddog

first...tech support isnt customer service, it's tech support. They dont have to be nice to anyone, especially idiots. Tehyre not gonna hold youre hand and make you feel good..they just want to fix your problem and move on. Almost all tech support services are free, but people feel they are obligated to fix every single problem of theres. 2nd...We dont know everything, but most likely know more than you. If you ask for support, then take our advice, otherwise, dont call in at all. This thread was a good example of that...just take the advice. If the advice was taken the first time, then the poster wouldnt need to post her frustations and anger online.

Dont generalize every single tech support person as being a geeky mtherfcker who cant tie their shoes, there are few who fit that mold.

unlurking
11-27-2004, 09:33 AM
first...tech support isnt customer service, it's tech support. They dont have to be nice to anyone, especially idiots. Tehyre not gonna hold youre hand and make you feel good..they just want to fix your problem and move on. Almost all tech support services are free, but people feel they are obligated to fix every single problem of theres. 2nd...We dont know everything, but most likely know more than you. If you ask for support, then take our advice, otherwise, dont call in at all. This thread was a good example of that...just take the advice. If the advice was taken the first time, then the poster wouldnt need to post her frustations and anger online.

Dont generalize every single tech support person as being a geeky mtherfcker who cant tie their shoes, there are few who fit that mold.
Having started out as a PC-Tech, I can understand your complaints against your CUSTOMERS. They are often times rude, retarded, a pain in the ass, beligerent, condescending, stupid, etc.

But again, having been there / done that, you are 100% TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY WRONG about tech support not being customer service.

Tech-support is the whopper-flopper of the IT world. It's a good job to break into the industry or as a kid, but anyone with ambition, intelligence, CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS, and a work ethic can and should move beyond it. The people that don't, well, they're the ones that give the SERVICE INDUSTRY a bad name.

Skip Towne
11-27-2004, 09:36 AM

You have no business dealing with people. You should be put in a room with no windows waaay in the back of the building. You should be allowed to deal only with inanimate objects.

Helmet
11-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Having started out as a PC-Tech, I can understand your complaints against your CUSTOMERS. They are often times rude, retarded, a pain in the ass, beligerent, condescending, stupid, etc.

But again, having been there / done that, you are 100% TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY WRONG about tech support not being customer service.

Tech-support is the whopper-flopper of the IT world. It's a good job to break into the industry or as a kid, but anyone with ambition, intelligence, CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS, and a work ethic can and should move beyond it. The people that don't, well, they're the ones that give the SERVICE INDUSTRY a bad name.

You stole my post :thumb:

Phobia
11-27-2004, 09:54 AM

Holy shit, dude. You're screwed. You've been talking to longtime tech support techies too much. You seem jaded and bitter. I'm sorry that you've needed to post your frustrations and anger online. I think my wife talked to you at gateway a month ago. You told her that the hard drive in our PC was bad. I told you that you were on crack. Guess who was right? Have you ever wondered why your jobs are being outsourced?

Most industries have dumbed down tech support so significantly that any monkey that can follow a flow chart and answer a phone qualifies for that $9 an hour position. Unfortunately, they don't have an original thought on their own and if you've already tried the first 7 steps in their troubleshooting chart, they're destined to repeat them because they couldn't possibly figure out how to bypass portions of their chart. But, these are the tech support people I appreciate. I'd so much rather talk to you than Habib.

OldTownChief
11-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Most industries have dumbed down tech support so significantly that any monkey that can follow a flow chart and answer a phone qualifies for that $9 an hour position. Unfortunately, they don't have an original thought on their own and if you've already tried the first 7 steps in their troubleshooting chart, they're destined to repeat them because they couldn't possibly figure out how to bypass portions of their chart. But, these are the tech support people I appreciate. I'd so much rather talk to you than Habib.

:clap: Man you got that right.

bringbackmarty
11-27-2004, 10:16 AM
what kinda puter is it? I don't want to buy one, and I'm shopping this week 4 1. Thx. Also you should grab that pimply pencil neck scoundrel by the ear next time he tells you some rank shit like a surge protector, and thrash him.

Helmet
11-27-2004, 10:19 AM
what kinda puter is it? I don't want to buy one, and I'm shopping this week 4 1. Thx. Also you should grab that pimply pencil neck scoundrel by the ear next time he tells you some rank shit like a surge protector, and thrash him.

It actually was the cause of the problem ROFL

XXXshogunXXX
11-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Man you're making this easy.......

First, please learn to spell. If you are so much more intelligent than everyone else, then your spelling skills wouldn't be so horrific.

Second, Tech Support IS Customer Service everywhere but your world, and Lord knows what planet you are on, but it sure isn't Mother Earth.

Third, I don't know where you work but I can tell you that Tech Support is almost never free.

Fourth, your attitude that you "most likely" know more than people who call shows that you need a change in careers REAL FAST!!!

All you have done thus far is to prove my point.....most Tech Support people are arrogant and rude.

mmaddog

I cant spell? those were typos you fag. Youre calling me a geek and at the same time correcting my spelling...

Tech support and customer service are not the same....that is your opinion, keep it.

Tech support where I worked at was free. That is something you shouldnt complain about. I called tech support the first days of AOL, etc, and It was free. You have to be pretty stupid (you)to pay for that sht.

"All you have done thus far is to prove my point.....most Tech Support people are arrogant and rude"

Read this entire thread..it proves my point that people would rather be counterproductive and complain. Who was right in this situation? The poster was angry about the support she received and claimed the tech brushed her off....But it turns out he really helped her provided the correct answer to the problem. thats why I was mad...And did it work? yes. Arrogant and rude...no, just fckin sick of idiots like you.

Phobia
11-27-2004, 05:48 PM
The poster was angry about the support she received and claimed the tech brushed her off....But it turns out he really helped her provided the correct answer to the problem. thats why I was mad...And did it work? yes. Arrogant and rude...no, just fckin sick of idiots like you.

Dude, she wasn't angry? Now who is being "counterproductive" and complaining?

You really have a reading comprehension problem. Oh - and an attitude problem. Tech support isn't free. If you have a perception that it is free then perhaps that's your built in excuse to suck. If I were your customer support manager, you would have an attitude adjustment or seeking a paycheck elsewhere.

RedNeckRaider
11-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Dude, she wasn't angry? Now who is being "counterproductive" and complaining?

You really have a reading comprehension problem. Oh - and an attitude problem. Tech support isn't free. If you have a perception that it is free then perhaps that's your built in excuse to suck. If I were your customer support manager, you would have an attitude adjustment or seeking a paycheck elsewhere.
This shotgun against two power posters :shake: this is going to get real ugly I am going to make some popcorn sit back and enjoy this :).......shotgun just run man just run!

unlurking
11-27-2004, 06:21 PM
I cant spell? those were typos you fag. Youre calling me a geek and at the same time correcting my spelling...

Tech support and customer service are not the same....that is your opinion, keep it.

Tech support where I worked at was free. That is something you shouldnt complain about. I called tech support the first days of AOL, etc, and It was free. You have to be pretty stupid (you)to pay for that sht.

"All you have done thus far is to prove my point.....most Tech Support people are arrogant and rude"

Read this entire thread..it proves my point that people would rather be counterproductive and complain. Who was right in this situation? The poster was angry about the support she received and claimed the tech brushed her off....But it turns out he really helped her provided the correct answer to the problem. thats why I was mad...And did it work? yes. Arrogant and rude...no, just fckin sick of idiots like you.
AOL is not the early days, but anyway...

AOL provided tech support for their customers because if they didn't, they wouldn't have many. Especially in those "early days" when Internet capable PCs were just hitting the home market and the AOL target market didn't know the difference between a PC and a CPU. Sure, they probably called it free, but every knowledgable person will have to agree that the cost to hire, train, and pay those tech support people was built in to the monthly premiums they charged. If it were actually "free", then they would have been losing money.

As far as PC warranties and tech support goes, that first year is built in to the price of the PC. After that, they charge a fee. Tech support is part of the extended warranty option.

And lastly, please re-read her original post. It describes the feeling MOST non-technical people have when dealing with technical support. That feeling is fostered by ONE THING. The typical tech-support "guru" who talks above his CUSTOMER'S head and doesn't take the time to at least try and explain things in "lay terms" and then treats his CUSTOMER with disdain because they are inferior to his vast knowledge.

I've been building my own PCs for almost a decade now, have worked with and dealt with the type of people who service the industry.

IMO, tech support staff are quickly becoming the next "used car salesman" in terms of derogatory stereotype. More often than not, they both leave the CUSTOMER confused and feeling derided.

XXXshogunXXX
11-27-2004, 06:22 PM
This shotgun against two power posters :shake: this is going to get real ugly I am going to make some popcorn sit back and enjoy this :).......shotgun just run man just run!

heh..nah man..gotta fight the power.

anyways..she wasn't angry? ok..maybe she wasn't angry?, sounded angry to me. Annoyed and frustrated? here's a little quote "I am certainly not going to get help from the evildoers in the land of all things evil"

"If I were your customer support manager, you would have an attitude adjustment or seeking a paycheck elsewhere"

far from that...Received 2 raises in the year I was there, Had a 7 minute Handle time, 2nd fastest in the company. Why? I didnt listen to idiots describing their problem, I wasn't customer service, but I wasn't rude either. When I asked their problem, theyd go on a 7 minute story about how they some how fcked their shit up, I dont need to hear that. If it doesnt work, that's all I need to hear. Id interrupt them and fix their problem. Theres the difference between customer service and tech support. Like the Guy at bestbuy did.."try bypassing the surge protector and connect to the wall, good day". Did it work or not? Problem solved, tech support worked.

Tech support people aren't rude and arrogant (most), why would they have to be. The only time they sound arrogant is when people dont follow directions and offer their own worthless opinions. I had no problems with callers who did what I told them to do, and they didnt have a problem with their stuff suddenly working. It's the morons that decide they are smarter than the person on the other line, showing signs of rude and arrogance, "thats not going to work!, Ive already done that" etc etc. Again...Why call in and ask for help if you're not going to take the advice given? Next time your Dr tells you to take some medicine..tell him, "I dont think that's going to work"..we'll see if he keeps a straight face and answers in a non-arrogant tone.

tech support is free, I dont know who the fck youve been calling. Dell is Free, Dlink's is free, Netgear is free for a month, AOL is free, etc etc.

unlurking
11-27-2004, 06:29 PM
tech support is free, I dont know who the fck youve been calling. Dell is Free, Dlink's is free, Netgear is free for a month, AOL is free, etc etc.

If you really believe that, than you honestly have no clue about operating costs and how they are paid for.

THEY ARE BUILT IN TO THE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!

:shake:

RedNeckRaider
11-27-2004, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=XXXshogunXXX]heh..nah man..gotta fight the power.

QUOTE]I was just teasing sort of :) both them boys can sling some smack! I saw your post count and thought it was a mismatch. By all means jump in! I am a total idiot when it comes to putes and have got help here on the Planet in the past and there are some pretty sharp people that hang out here.

Phobia
11-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Dude, take an economics course sometime. You indicate that you received 2 raises. If it was free, a 20% raise from free is still free. I sure hope all your bills are free, too.

You asked: "Why call in and ask for help if you're not going to take the advice given?"

Because most replacement warranties require you to beat your head against the wall with 1 of 3 types of people:
1. Arrogant and impatient - much like yourself.
2. Morons who are even incapable of following a 20 step flow chart to determine in the PC has power.
3. Would you like to buy slurpee tech support (FWIW, this kind of tech support is the devil. That kind is what I call "almost free" tech support. The moment I hear a non English speaker on the other line, I start cursing them out in every language until one sticks.

I wouldn't ever call tech support for anything if I had any kind of other alternative. I don't know where these people get their "call solve" rates because I don't think I've ever had a problem solved by tech support. These MFers either don't enter tickets for me or they close my tickets claiming to have solved my problem. I've had this issue with Gateway (twice) and Sprint. Both times I called Gateway, I diagnosed the problem for them and they still failed to solve my problems EVEN THOUGH I TOLD THEM WHAT WAS BROKEN. How in the hell does that happen?

With Sprint, I had to call 2-3 times a week for 3 months before they conceded that their service in KC sucks and they let me out of my contract, but not before they tried to haggle me into paying a reduced early termination fee. **** that. Your shit doesn't work, why the **** should I pay you another nickel? You should be paying ME for the ****ing Treo 600 I spent $600 on less than a year ago.

XXXshogunXXX
11-27-2004, 06:39 PM
AOL is not the early days, but anyway...

AOL provided tech support for their customers because if they didn't, they wouldn't have many. Especially in those "early days" when Internet capable PCs were just hitting the home market and the AOL target market didn't know the difference between a PC and a CPU. Sure, they probably called it free, but every knowledgable person will have to agree that the cost to hire, train, and pay those tech support people was built in to the monthly premiums they charged. If it were actually "free", then they would have been losing money.

As far as PC warranties and tech support goes, that first year is built in to the price of the PC. After that, they charge a fee. Tech support is part of the extended warranty option.

And lastly, please re-read her original post. It describes the feeling MOST non-technical people have when dealing with technical support. That feeling is fostered by ONE THING. The typical tech-support "guru" who talks above his CUSTOMER'S head and doesn't take the time to at least try and explain things in "lay terms" and then treats his CUSTOMER with disdain because they are inferior to his vast knowledge.

I've been building my own PCs for almost a decade now, have worked with and dealt with the type of people who service the industry.

IMO, tech support staff are quickly becoming the next "used car salesman" in terms of derogatory stereotype. More often than not, they both leave the CUSTOMER confused and feeling derided.

the 3rd paragraph sounds about right ...tech support and customer service are different..they dont need to do the customer service thing and buddy with the customer. As long as they get it working, then its ok. They have quotas and talk times to meet, customer service is not required.

I still felt the guy didn't brush her off, the solution was correct..so..thats it. He oculdve tried to explain why, but in those situations, the person would say.."huh"..and it wouldve developed into a long explanation waisting time and effort. I used to call tech support for AOL, and Compaq, and I never had a problem. I never questioned them, or ridiculed them, it's the people that do that we see these types of situations.

ENDelt260
11-27-2004, 06:42 PM
the 3rd paragraph sounds about right ...tech support and customer service are different..they dont need to do the customer service thing and buddy with the customer. As long as they get it working, then its ok. They have quotas and talk times to meet, customer service is not required.

Wow. Just... wow.

XXXshogunXXX
11-27-2004, 06:55 PM
that still means tech support is free. Priced into the product? like you guys really meant that. What do you call tech support that has a per minute fee? It's either free or it's not.

other person: why do I have to take an economics class..I said i received a raise because I was good. People who have their jobs threatened dont receive raises. Im glad your not my boss..id fckin be out of there by choice.

"3. Would you like to buy slurpee tech support (FWIW, this kind of tech support is the devil. That kind is what I call "almost free" tech support. The moment I hear a non English speaker on the other line, I start cursing them out in every language until one sticks"

We had a few indian techs in our dept. They were alwyas nice and helpful to the callers..but...they had alot ofrude and arrogant asshole callers. once they heard their indian voice, theyd act like a jackass in the entire call. that shit isnt needed.

This one call that I got..the guy said.."man, i'm glad I got you..everyone I talked to before was Indian". I said, I'm Indian (im not). that fcker never called back again.

oh well...each situation is different, and I dont know what happened in yours. Ive been on both sides of tech support before, So I know how each end feels.
There is no such thing as a flow chart....we were trained on the phone, then thrown to the wolves. Alot of the job was determining the problem and thinking quick...It had a very high turnover rate.

unlurking
11-27-2004, 06:58 PM
I still felt the guy didn't brush her off, the solution was correct..so..thats it. He oculdve tried to explain why, but in those situations, the person would say.."huh"..and it wouldve developed into a long explanation waisting time and effort. I used to call tech support for AOL, and Compaq, and I never had a problem. I never questioned them, or ridiculed them, it's the people that do that we see these types of situations.

And he may not have brushed her off. She as much admitted that she felt dumb for going in on a day when the vendor was slammed anyway. She mentioned that she was already frustrated after a 45 minute wait in line. Holding a PC, I'd have been livid, but she admitted freely that she should have chosen another day.

She also never mentioned being rude to the support guy in any way, and she didn't say that he was rude either, just "brusque" which is understandable considering the line of people he was dealing with.

Please re-read her post, and enjoy the "context" in which it was written. The over-exaggeration, the metaphors, the fantasy references, the imagery. It was an event as perceived by one individual (based I'm sure off past experience as well) with artistic license being taken.

This could EASILY have been written about ANY experience any one of us would have had encountering any service professional. Hell, replace tech guy with auto guy and you have my typical feelings when I bring in my car and tell them the vehicle vibrates at certain speeds. Conditions of electronic and mechanical failure can be very tempermental and difficult to duplicate.

I'm glad you never had issues with technical support, most people have. I don't call my crappy ISP for help. I call them to tell them their crappy service is down again.

At this point, I don't call anyone for support any more unless it is to open a ticket with level three support.

Phobia
11-27-2004, 07:05 PM
We had a few indian techs in our dept. They were alwyas nice and helpful to the callers..but...they had alot ofrude and arrogant asshole callers. once they heard their indian voice, theyd act like a jackass in the entire call. that shit isnt needed.

This one call that I got..the guy said.."man, i'm glad I got you..everyone I talked to before was Indian". I said, I'm Indian (im not). that fcker never called back again.

Who said anything about Indians? I'm talking about people who can't speak English. I don't have a problem with a heavy accent as long as I can understand WTF they're saying to me.

unlurking
11-27-2004, 07:08 PM
As far as foreign accent individuals performing phone support, it is a valid complaint. Especially if the called is routed internationally and the quality is that of about 5 or 6k. Even compression rates over digital connections to 7 or 8k can make people with thick accents very difficult to comprehend.

If I can't understand what the individual is saying, I'll ask for someone else, whether it's an Indian accent or a southern drawl.

As far as "free" tech support, you cannot really be serious can you?!?! You don't believe that the retail cost of a product is bumped based on operational / administrative costs of the company?!?!

Skip Towne
11-27-2004, 07:12 PM
With Directv, if I get a English as a second language type, I hang up and call right back. You'll never get the same one twice.

Michael Michigan
11-27-2004, 07:39 PM
blah

blah,blah

blah,blah,blah

blah,blah,blah,blah

blah,blah,blah,blah,blah

What you've just said....is [some] of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response[s] was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought.

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having [read] it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Phobia
11-27-2004, 07:50 PM
other person: why do I have to take an economics class..I said i received a raise because I was good. People who have their jobs threatened dont receive raises. Im glad your not my boss..id fckin be out of there by choice.

You should take one because you're extremely ignorant. If I were your boss, you wouldn't have this shitty attitude. We'd have a great time. I'd be a joy to work for and you wouldn't be miserable going to the office ; talking to the lowely, retarded non-customers. You would also have a better understanding of your function in my company.

chiefs4me
11-27-2004, 08:04 PM
You should take one because you're extremely ignorant. If I were your boss, you wouldn't have this shitty attitude. We'd have a great time. I'd be a joy to work for and you wouldn't be miserable going to the office ; talking to the lowely, retarded non-customers. You would also have a better understanding of your function in my company.

Somehow I just can't see it,,,;)

Skip Towne
11-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Somehow I just can't see it,,,;)
That's because you are a contrarian. You may need your own smiley.

milkman
11-28-2004, 07:56 AM
I have nothing to add, since I am computer illiterate, and you have discovered the problem.

I just want to complement your writing.
My mind usually goes numb when people start talking about computer problems, or computers in any way, but your post was entertaining and enjoyable reading, and resulted in my reading the entire thread, something that I never do in posts with this type of subject matter.

milkman
11-28-2004, 08:06 AM
"thats not going to work!, Ive already done that" etc etc. Again...Why call in and ask for help if you're not going to take the advice given? Next time your Dr tells you to take some medicine..tell him, "I dont think that's going to work"..we'll see if he keeps a straight face and answers in a non-arrogant tone.

You've already answered the question posed "Why call in and ask for help if you're not going to take the advise given?".

If they've already tried it, why would they need to take that advice?
This just says to me that you don't really give a shit , and that you just want to get the customer off the line.

And I've found that doctors do listen to your concerns if you discuss them with them and will discuss the reasons they have precribed treatments and medications.

The reason most 'morons' talk, and offer opinions isn't because they think they are smarter than you are.
It's because they want to have a better understanding of what they are dealing with.

And you've clearly shown here that, while you have a better understanding of computers, most of your callers are smarter than you are.

Over-Head
11-28-2004, 08:46 AM
My oh MYYYYYYYYY, can I relate to this post.
My decrepit piece of technological scrap starts it’s day with a message telling me “something or another” in my windows ain’t working right.
I’ve tried posting here, done the MSN updates, but alas NO ONE can tell me what this error message actually means. :hmmm:
Then …Every time I clean up the cookies, temp internet files I get to have multitudes of fun trying to get AOL back up, as it never fails to send me a “Error message” which requires me to wait while it loads “files” I need to open AOL, then shut down my puter.
HERE COMES THE CYCLE, I reboot, wait, try to start AOL, get the message, let “it” re-insert the files, shut it down, SCREAM obscenities at the now blank screen, :banghead: and do the same thing all over again! :cuss:
After about attempt 4, I holler “Doll (my nick name for the better half),,,come fix this fuggen thing before I put my foot through it!” :mad:
To which I go do what ever while she calmly fixes it with one mighty stroke of the mouse.
I also get randome Error message 32’s, which shut everything down dead,,,,,generally right in the middle of a Highdescent battle. :(
Or a lock up of Word , which forces me to use notebook.
All in all COMPUTERS HATE ME ……almost as much as Chiefs fans :deevee:

PastorMikH
11-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Don't know if you have gotten this fixed yet or not Jenny, but it sounds they installed female memory chips. It is fairly easy to fix, go to staples or best buy and get the male version of the memory chips.

RedNeckRaider
11-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Don't know if you have gotten this fixed yet or not Jenny, but it sounds they installed female memory chips. It is fairly easy to fix, go to staples or best buy and get the male version of the memory chips.
Get to work! :)

Phobia
11-28-2004, 09:36 AM
My decrepit piece of technological scrap starts it’s day with a message telling me “something or another” in my windows ain’t working right.
I’ve tried posting here, done the MSN updates, but alas NO ONE can tell me what this error message actually means. :hmmm:
Then …Every time I clean up the cookies, temp internet files I get to have multitudes of fun trying to get AOL back up, as it never fails to send me a “Error message” which requires me to wait while it loads “files” I need to open AOL, then shut down my puter.
HERE COMES THE CYCLE, I reboot, wait, try to start AOL, get the message, let “it” re-insert the files, shut it down, SCREAM obscenities at the now blank screen, :banghead: and do the same thing all over again! :cuss:
After about attempt 4, I holler “Doll (my nick name for the better half),,,come fix this fuggen thing before I put my foot through it!” :mad:
To which I go do what ever while she calmly fixes it with one mighty stroke of the mouse.
I also get randome Error message 32’s, which shut everything down dead,,,,,generally right in the middle of a Highdescent battle. :(

The reason you've not gotten an answer regarding your problem is because nobody on this board has any experience with AOL. We're all smarter than that.

Skip Towne
11-28-2004, 09:44 AM
A basic rule for operating any device is "You must be smarter than the machine". In technical circles they say the problem is between the chair and the keyboard. Or it is a one D ten T problem. I believe this applies to your case.

Mosbonian
11-28-2004, 09:55 AM
..... Or it is a one D ten T problem. I believe this applies to your case.

You stole that from me...I want royalties.

mmaddog

Jenny Gump
11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey shogun....listen, I think I need to clear up something.

The post was supposed to be a small glimpse into the way my mind works. I'm a little quirky and I just find situations like this one to be fascinating. If you read carefully, I was making fun of everyone, including myself. I never said the guy brushed me off. I was never rude to him. I have class.

Shogun, let's look at this a different way. I happen to be a registered nurse, and let's imagine that you are having a lot of pain in your nether regions. You come to the hospital, and the doctor comes in to examine you. He orders some tests. Then he comes in to give you the results of your test. This is what he says:

"Mr. Shogun...the result of the exam reveals that what you are experiencing is not a result of true gynecomastia, but rather excessive caloric consumption. Also, the penile erythema you are experiencing is most likely a result of manipulatory excess which has lead to a severe exantham. Just apply this cream twice a day and avoid palpation of the area until the exantham has subsided. Meanwhile, we ask that you put your pants back on, as the appearance of your genitals is causing our female staff to pandiculate excessively."

Sorry you took this post so personally. I think a customer service training is in your future.

unlurking
11-28-2004, 10:26 AM
"Mr. Shogun...the result of the exam reveals that what you are experiencing is not a result of true gynecomastia, but rather excessive caloric consumption. Also, the penile erythema you are experiencing is most likely a result of manipulatory excess which has lead to a severe exantham. Just apply this cream twice a day and avoid palpation of the area until the exantham has subsided. Meanwhile, we ask that you put your pants back on, as the appearance of your genitals is causing our female staff to pandiculate excessively."

ROFL!!!!

JimNasium
11-28-2004, 10:28 AM

The post was supposed to be a small glimpse into the way my mind works. I'm a little quirky and I just find situations like this one to be fascinating. If you read carefully, I was making fun of everyone, including myself. I never said the guy brushed me off. I was never rude to him. I have class.

Shogun, let's look at this a different way. I happen to be a registered nurse, and let's imagine that you are having a lot of pain in your nether regions. You come to the hospital, and the doctor comes in to examine you. He orders some tests. Then he comes in to give you the results of your test. This is what he says:

Sorry you took this post so personally. I think a customer service training is in your future.
ROFL

Skip Towne
11-28-2004, 10:39 AM
You stole that from me...I want royalties.

mmaddog
Did a squirrel eat your brains?

Over-Head
11-28-2004, 11:59 AM

Damn...Brains, Beauty, adn a sassy attitude..I LOVE IT!! ROFL

dirk digler
11-28-2004, 12:46 PM

ROFL ROFL

You can be my nurse anytime. ROFL

Jenny Gump
11-28-2004, 05:45 PM

Interpretation....you have big-mac induced manboobs, and you jerk off too much. Your peter is so boring that it actually makes the nurses yawn excessively.

XXXshogunXXX
11-28-2004, 07:55 PM

ok mrs gump...but it sounded like you were putting down the person that helped you. Look at the title of the thread..."holy crap I hate people" I dont care who trys to spin this, the word "hate" was directed to the tech. You thought he brushed you off, but he didn't, and actually helped you.

For the people who cried.."but we tried that". Heres an example.

Tech: Let me check your connections.
Caller: (in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) no, I dont want to, that's not the problem.
Tech: Ok, we'll move on.
After 20 minutes, no progress.
Tech: Check the WAN light, is it on.
Caller: it's not on.
Tech: Is hte modem plugged into the WAN port.
Caller: No it's not, should it be.
Tech: Yes it should be you idiot, thats what I wanted to check at the very beginning.

dsafdsafjljkfdjlajfl;fdal thats what happens when people think theyve done everything. Tech support has to start from the very beginning to make sure everything is correct..but people decide to grow brains and end up fcking sht up. It's not the stupid people I have problems with, they listen, take directions and end up helping themselves. It's the cocky wannabe techs on the other line who think they know everything, theyre calling in for help, but do not want to receive it.

Alot of you who thought tech's are arrogant, try being on the phones and dealing with yourselves. You guys sound exactly the type of caller who says to the tech.."ive done, that" "that wont work" "im smarter than you but im still asking for help". seriously, if you think tech's are arrogant, you must've provoked some kind spark in them with one of those above quotes. If you listen and follow what they tell you do, you won't hear a tone of arrogance.

i could care less if you guys think I did a poor job when I worked at tech support. I was one of the top techs, and never had a complaint. And to you acting supervisors, you werent my boss, so stfu. If you ever ended up being a boss at tech support, you'd know what each tech goes through and wouldnt mind the the attitude towards the callers. Our own boss reffered to the callers as idiots. It goes with the territory with phone centers. What's more important in the call...solving the problem? or acting nice while not resolving the original issue? it's tech support...not btch service.

Saulbadguy
11-28-2004, 07:59 PM
cliff notes anyone? im too lazy to read the entire thread.

Mosbonian
11-28-2004, 08:36 PM
...Heres an example.
Caller: (in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) no, I dont want to, that's not the problem.
Tech: Yes it should be you idiot, thats what I wanted to check at the very beginning..

Who are you kidding...it went more like this:

Tech: (in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) Let me check your connections.
Caller: Ok, but I don't believe that's the problem.
Tech: (once again in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) Let's check it anyway.....
After 20 minutes, no progress because the Tech Support person can't figure it out anymore than the consumer can...
Tech: Well, you need to take your machine to the nearest service center. I've gone thru all the steps that are part of the normal progression.
Caller: You mean you can't help me?
Tech: (in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) Sorry I can't.
Frustrated caller hangs up......

Off line:
Tech: You guys should have heard this idiot.....

...dsafdsafjljkfdjlajfl;fdal thats what happens when people think theyve done everything. Tech support has to start from the very beginning to make sure everything is correct..but people decide to grow brains and end up fcking sht up. It's not the stupid people I have problems with, they listen, take directions and end up helping themselves. It's the cocky wannabe techs on the other line who think they know everything, theyre calling in for help, but do not want to receive it. .

Most usually the people who are "wannabe techs" know better than to call Tech Support, because they know they either end up with an arrogant a$$hole like you or someone who is just reading from a script.

...Alot of you who thought tech's are arrogant, try being on the phones and dealing with yourselves. You guys sound exactly the type of caller who says to the tech.."ive done, that" "that wont work" "im smarter than you but im still asking for help". seriously, if you think tech's are arrogant, you must've provoked some kind spark in them with one of those above quotes. If you listen and follow what they tell you do, you won't hear a tone of arrogance..

Let me help you here.....In my many years of business experience, I've had every type of customer (internal and external, a concept you probably don't understand) on my phone. Customer Service and Tech Support have been a part of my responsibility on many occasions, and I can say with complete assurance, that you would never last long in a reputable Tech Support Department. And also, you've never come close to having to deal with angry or upset customers until you have to do Collection work.

...i could care less if you guys think I did a poor job when I worked at tech support. I was one of the top techs, and never had a complaint. And to you acting supervisors, you werent my boss, so stfu. If you ever ended up being a boss at tech support, you'd know what each tech goes through and wouldnt mind the the attitude towards the callers. Our own boss reffered to the callers as idiots. It goes with the territory with phone centers. What's more important in the call...solving the problem? or acting nice while not resolving the original issue? it's tech support...not btch service.

The above is nothing more than a reflection of your attitude to the world. And it gives a perfect example why your attitude is as it is....your "boss" was your teacher and "children" (meaning Team Member) live what they learn. As stated before, I have been a Manager in both Customer Service and Tech Support, and I can tell you that what is important in "servicing" the customer is solving their problem if it is within the capabilities of my department while maintaining a positive attitude with the customer.

You have no earthly idea how to work with the public.....for the good of the working public I hope you find a job that never let's you interact with anyone.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-28-2004, 08:40 PM
cliff notes anyone? im too lazy to read the entire thread.

Believe me Saul...you don't want us to torture you with the details.

Suffice it to say that "shogun" thinks it's OK to act arrogant and obnoxious when dealing with the public as part of a Tech Support function.

mmaddog

unlurking
11-28-2004, 08:45 PM
People like you are the reason people don't like calling tech support. People like you are the reason tech support gets such a bad name.

All I can say is, thank God I DO know more than tech support.

:shake:

unlurking
11-28-2004, 08:47 PM

Suffice it to say that "shogun" thinks it's OK to act arrogant and obnoxious when dealing with the public as part of a Tech Support function.

mmaddog
Don't forget, tech support is FREE so all callers should be on their knees groveling when they call.

Mosbonian
11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Don't forget, tech support is FREE so all callers should be on their knees groveling when they call.

Thanks for reminding me.....:thumb:

mmaddog

Rausch
11-28-2004, 08:53 PM
You have no earthly idea how to work with the public.....for the good of the working public I hope you find a job that never let's you interact with anyone.

mmaddog

Jenny Gump
11-29-2004, 08:59 AM

mmaddog

I think the main point though, is that the fair maiden survived the land of all things evil. She also bought a new surge protector...from the land of all things selling for less.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Something else that would happen to me with that game route. The store would call and say the game wasn't working. I'd go to look at it and sure enough it wasn't. So I'd bring it back to the shop and it would start working. Then I'd take it back to the store and it would continue to work. This happened several times over a ten year period. I finally concluded it just wanted to go for a ride on the truck.
Why do I get an image of a videogame hanging its contact points out the window and panting?

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 09:08 AM

Tech support receives a paycheck.
Person needing tech support pays money for product.

The person paying the money is correct even if they aren't correct. If you don't want to deal with paying customers who are arrogant, work with bovine scooping poo.

Don't you find it ironic that you are bitching about people generalizing tech support when you are generalizing those who need tech support? Perhaps people wouldn't be arrogant idiotic bastards if tech support were also used for design and production for the masses instead of for schmoes who think "There are 10 kinds of people when it comes to binary, those who understand it and those who don't" are cool bumperstickers.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 09:18 AM
ok mrs gump...but it sounded like you were putting down the person that helped you. Look at the title of the thread..."holy crap I hate people" I dont care who trys to spin this, the word "hate" was directed to the tech. You thought he brushed you off, but he didn't, and actually helped you.

For the people who cried.."but we tried that". Heres an example.

Tech: Yes it should be you idiot, thats what I wanted to check at the very beginning.

So you want to make people feel uncomfortable by lying about your heritage and you don't mind calling them an idiot if they don't listen to your instructions. Do you mind when the favor is returned and the moronic tech support obviously didn't listen to your question and is simply reading from a script?

Caller: The modem is not working. I have power-cycled twice and there is no response.
Tech Support: That's great. Now can you logon to your PC?
Caller: Yes
Tech Support: That's great. Now can you click on the Explorer icon?
Caller: Yes
Tech Support: That's great. What do you get?
Caller: A screen telling me it can't connect.
Tech Support: Okay, we are going to try to power cycle the modem.
Caller: Moron, I told you I already tried that.
Tech: That's great, let's try it again. Did it work?
Caller: No, I told you that we already tried that.
Tech: That's great. So let's try this instead......

Nothing more fun that punching 39 buttons on your phone, listening through 21 prompts, and waiting on hold for 49 minutes for someone to read from a script and only listen for the buzz words in your sentences.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 09:19 AM
I think the main point though, is that the fair maiden survived the land of all things evil. She also bought a new surge protector...from the land of all things selling for less.
I hope it was for a rating of voltage and amperage superior to your output

KCTitus
11-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Interesting read...having been in the Tech support business for nearly a decade now, I can understand the source of shogun's frustration.

Maybe this does happen in other industries, but Ive never personally witnessed a person who requested service on an appliance argue with the repair person on what was wrong or how it needed to be fixed.

Some people do take for granted the "support" as some sort of right, without bothering to learn even the most basic PC knowledge like the location of the power button.

In this world, we operate other machines and are required to have a decent level of knowledge to use them. TV's and their remotes require a bit of knowledge, Cars require knowledge and a license. Kitchen appliances require a basic understanding.

But with PC's, people buy them and turn them on and have either no desire or feel it's not a responsibility to understand the machine.

Yes, tech-support people do become jaded when the vast majority of operators have absolutely zero knowledge of the machine they are operating.

shakesthecat
11-29-2004, 09:49 AM
But with PC's, people buy them and turn them on and have either no desire or feel it's not a responsibility to understand the machine.

I always laugh/cringe whenever I see the AOL commercial where the woman drags her baby in to the AOL board room, and wants anti-virus, spam prevention, parental controls, blah, blah, blah....

"without having to do ANYTHING"

Otter
11-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Perhaps people wouldn't be arrogant idiotic bastards if tech support were also used for design and production for the masses instead of for schmoes who think "There are 10 kinds of people when it comes to binary, those who understand it and those who don't" are cool bumperstickers.

While I would never put one on my bumper, that particular saying doesn't designate "asshole". It's an inside joke for techies.

If it were easy and practical to design operating systems and applications to work with OS's easy for everyone it would have been done by now.

Trust me on that one.

Just like everyone shouldn't operate heavy machinery not everyone is suited to understand "computers". It's alot easier to avoid operating heavy machinery however.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Interesting read...having been in the Tech support business for nearly a decade now, I can understand the source of shogun's frustration.

Maybe this does happen in other industries, but Ive never personally witnessed a person who requested service on an appliance argue with the repair person on what was wrong or how it needed to be fixed.

Some people do take for granted the "support" as some sort of right, without bothering to learn even the most basic PC knowledge like the location of the power button.

In this world, we operate other machines and are required to have a decent level of knowledge to use them. TV's and their remotes require a bit of knowledge, Cars require knowledge and a license. Kitchen appliances require a basic understanding.

Yes, tech-support people do become jaded when the vast majority of operators have absolutely zero knowledge of the machine they are operating.

Greg - It is a simple rule for all of business, what once was convenience is now a right. Our convenience of tech and customer support has become a right (like it or not). Therefore, the industry should bend to the consumer, especially since the consumer is paying anyway. And honestly, intelligence or knowledge of product is not a requirement. If it were, a basic test should be required before the product is purchased - blame the company for selling to idiots, not idiots for buying.

And to be perfectly honest, I am jaded myself with most tech support. I can figure through almost any issue on my own if I am supplied the correct data, however, on those rare occurrences when I need assistance, I am treated like an idiot and the tech service merely listens for Key words (or buzz words if you prefer) and simply reads a script.

For example: I bought a product for my boss on my night job. The software required an emailed passcode to operate. I simply complete the registration and the passcode is mailed to me. Unfortunately, the device that registers the software must be connected to the internet. This PC will never be connected as it is not required. There is no modem or ethernet card attached to the device.

So I call PCDJ to explain my issue.
Tech: Connect the device to the internet and I can use it immediately.

Me: I explain the device will never be connected.

Tech: Connect it for just a minute, that's all I have to do.

Me: Again, I cannot connect the device.

Tech: just look for a "hole" on the back of your PC that looks like you can plug a phone in it.

Me: There is no ethernet card or modem on the device.

Tech: You do know there is a difference in the size of the plugs for the ethernet card and a phone modem. you probably have one of them.

Me: Listen, I said I don't have an ethernet card or a modem. The product does not state I HAVE to be internet connected to have the software operate. Simply give me the code over the phone.

Tech: Do you have a USB port? If you do, you can plug in a wireless device or hook up to a router.

Me: One more time - The PC will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be connected to the internet. Can the software be activated through other means?

Tech: Sure it can, You just tell me the codes over the phone that appear when you start the product and I can email the registration code to you.

Me: Why didn't you say that to begin with?

Tech: I am required to handle all issues in a certain order.

Me: If that is the case, can't you guys simply set up a flow chart in your FAQS section and eliminate some of your payroll?

Tech: Laughing. I guess we never thought of it like that.

I give him the info and enter the data he gives me to get to registration. The screen displays "Your registration codes have been sent to you for immediate activation. Please enter the codes here". I go to retrieve the email and nada. I look 10 minutes later and still nothing. Finally, after 15 minutes, there is still no code. I call back

Me: I never received my registration code.

Tech: How long has it been?

Me: 20 minutes (5 on hold).

Tech: Wow, that must seem like a real long time in today's world.

Me: No, it doesn't. However, either you have screwed up, or whomever wrote the software did. The screen says "your registration codes have been sent to you for IMMEDIATE activation". Does the word IMMEDIATE mean something other than "right now" that I am not aware?

Tech: I guess it is misleading. It can take up to half an hour. Instead of you waiting, I will read your code to you now.

Me: Why didn't you do that the first time I called?

Tech: It isn't procedure.

That, Gregg, is insulting, demeaning, and moronic all from the same Tech. It is no wonder the average consumer gets pissed. If your company is offering the moon in exchange for cash, either deliver the moon, or expect unhappy customers. We see people on TV order their PCs and start them right up. John Doe, his wife Jane, and their 2.5 kids operate the machinery with no issues whatsoever. If Average John Doe can, then so can I. That is what your company implies and what they are expected to deliver. Blame the guy that signs your paychecks, not the person with the PC issue.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 11:52 AM
While I would never put one on my bumper, that particular saying doesn't designate "asshole". It's an inside joke for techies.

If it were easy and practical to design operating systems and applications to work with OS's easy for everyone it would have been done by now.

Trust me on that one.

Just like everyone shouldn't operate heavy machinery not everyone is suited to understand "computers". It's alot easier to avoid operating heavy machinery however.
Again, blame the manufacturers of the PCs, not the clientele.

Before I can buy a rig, I have to own a CDL to operate it. The PC companies are the ones marketing ease and simplicity without testing the clientele prior to purchase.

KCTitus
11-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Russ: Im not excusing the actions of anyone, but I can understand the source of shoguns frustrations.

Even in your example, you were being difficult about the solution, besides, I cannot follow how you would receive an email if your machine was not connected to the internet to begin with.

If registration is done via the Internet, then you have to register it on a computer that is connected to the internet. Seems pretty simple to me.

It's this kind of attitude that frustrates IT people to no end. The solution is obvious, but for some reason the end user insists on square pegging a round hole.

Otter
11-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Again, blame the manufacturers of the PCs, not the clientele.

Before I can buy a rig, I have to own a CDL to operate it. The PC companies are the ones marketing ease and simplicity without testing the clientele prior to purchase.
I agree with you 100%.

My first three years out of college I did tech support and by the begining of the second year I was ready to quit and go back to bartending. It's an absolute nightmare in most companies.

The people promising the consumer "the moon" and setting up the procedures you mentioned are directors and managers that never have to deal with Joe the forktruck driver who doesn't know the difference between a floppy drive and a hard drive.

Tech support is a model of the same setup you (I believe it was you anyway) had to go through when your credit card was charged by Dell for a for a product you never ordered.

Money goes up top and shit rolls downhill, it's an evil of bureaucracy.

You think it's bad now, wait 5 years down the road when its all been outsourced to India. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Russ: Im not excusing the actions of anyone, but I can understand the source of shoguns frustrations.

Even in your example, you were being difficult about the solution, besides, I cannot follow how you would receive an email if your machine was not connected to the internet to begin with.

If registration is done via the Internet, then you have to register it on a computer that is connected to the internet. Seems pretty simple to me.

It's this kind of attitude that frustrates IT people to no end. The solution is obvious, but for some reason the end user insists on square pegging a round hole.
Gregg - Nowhere on the product packaging or on their internet sales site does it state *internet service required for activation*. The device evidently is supposed to send a code to them describing certain aspects of the machine (stuff that shows on the DirectX diagnostics). Since the device was not connected, it could not send the info. Again, not my problem as it was not advertised as such when I purchased it.

And honestly, I don't see how I was "being difficult". It took no less than 3 times (and probably more, if I remember correctly) to explain to the guy that there was no card to support internet connections. He honestly just didn't care and didn't listen. He had his script and that was what he was going to read come hell or high water.

KCTitus
11-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Gregg - Nowhere on the product packaging or on their internet sales site does it state *internet service required for activation*. The device evidently is supposed to send a code to them describing certain aspects of the machine (stuff that shows on the DirectX diagnostics). Since the device was not connected, it could not send the info. Again, not my problem as it was not advertised as such when I purchased it.

And honestly, I don't see how I was "being difficult". It took no less than 3 times (and probably more, if I remember correctly) to explain to the guy that there was no card to support internet connections. He honestly just didn't care and didn't listen. He had his script and that was what he was going to read come hell or high water.

Im not going to pick nits over your specific problem. As a person in the business, Im not going to regale you with the 90% of the time a solution is proffered and the end user is either unable to understand or unable to perform said solution.

If the person Im speaking to does not understand, "reboot the machine", Im not going to get very far unless I do it for them.

My guess is you're missing my point...we all understand how to start a car, is it too much to ask people to understand how to start a computer?

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Im not going to pick nits over your specific problem. As a person in the business, Im not going to regale you with the 90% of the time a solution is proffered and the end user is either unable to understand or unable to perform said solution.

If the person Im speaking to does not understand, "reboot the machine", Im not going to get very far unless I do it for them.

My guess is you're missing my point...we all understand how to start a car, is it too much to ask people to understand how to start a computer?
Nope, you are correct. And honestly, I don't doubt that a high percentage is easily resolved due to simple failure to follow the ease of instructions already provided. However, that does not mean ALL calls are to be instantly considered to be morons who don't know how "to boot a machine".

If the tech support person I am speaking with doesn't understand "I don't have a modem or ethernet card connected to the machine", I am not going to get very far with him either.

Simply put, listen to my problem and not until I am done speaking do not ascertain I am an idiot who can't reboot. Don't grab your pre-written script to read to me as I am explaining the issue. If I don't sound like I know what I am talking about, rattle away. If I sound like I have knowledge of my issue, then address the issue, not the predesigned "customer service for dummies" placards you have stored by your monitor.

Morons exist on BOTH sides of the phone calls for tech support. If they didn't, they wouldn't be outsourced so easily.

KCTitus
11-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Nope, you are correct. And honestly, I don't doubt that a high percentage is easily resolved due to simple failure to follow the ease of instructions already provided. However, that does not mean ALL calls are to be instantly considered to be morons who don't know how "to boot a machine".

I didnt say that all were, but I did say that I understood the source of the frustration because the overwhelming majority of the problems are not the result of the machine but the result of the operator--PBCAK we call it.

As for your situation, I think I see the problem, you called the tech support line when you should have called the sales office to activate your software. Again, square peg the round hole.

This reminds me of a time that someone called our desk asking for jumper cables because their car wouldnt start--WTF you say--well thats the mindset I live with that people have become so dependent upon fixing stuff, they call us for off the wall nonsense. I suggested calling a tow truck--in my best tech support voice.

RedNeckRaider
11-29-2004, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=KCTitus]I didnt say that all were, but I did say that I understood the source of the frustration because the overwhelming majority of the problems are not the result of the machine but the result of the operator--PBCAK we call it.QUOTE] Never going to let me live down that phone call are you :shake:

Raiderhader
11-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Can we all just agree that both consumer and tech support are at fault, and that Best Buy is evil and their employees stupid?

Jenny Gump
11-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Can we all just agree that both consumer and tech support are at fault, and that Best Buy is evil and their employees stupid?

Don't you dare kill my thread. I can kick to the head....just thought you should know.

Raiderhader
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Don't you dare kill my thread.

It doesn't have to be killed, we can always talk about the Worst Buy angle. Here is something you might find amusing - www.bestbuysux.org

I can kick to the head....just thought you should know.

Limber, I like that.

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Don't you dare kill my thread. I can kick to the head....just thought you should know.
But, can you put your ankles behind your ears?

KC Dan
11-29-2004, 01:29 PM
A more vital piece of information cannot be requested. :thumb:

ptlyon
11-29-2004, 01:31 PM
A more vital piece of information cannot be requested. :thumb:

Nuh uh. Swallowing is more vital.

Swanman
11-29-2004, 01:32 PM

This thread is worthless without live streaming video.

Jenny Gump
11-29-2004, 01:32 PM

Ummm....actually I can.

NTTAWWT

Swanman
11-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Ummm....actually I can.

NTTAWWT

You may note a sharp decline in posts from male members of the Chiefsplanet population while they tend to some important business for the next 4-5 minutes.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Ummm....actually I can.

NTTAWWT

Perhaps your should apply?

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=atom_652&mature=accept

Jenny Gump
11-29-2004, 01:38 PM

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=atom_652&mature=accept

I'm going to assume this link is not work-friendly?

Jenny Gump
11-29-2004, 01:40 PM
It doesn't have to be killed, we can always talk about the Worst Buy angle. Here is something you might find amusing - www.bestbuysux.org (http://www.bestbuysux.org)

This is a great site! I think I see shogun mentioned here:

On Monday, I looked up the Best Buy corporate web site and get a number for the corporate headquarters in MN. I called the number and end up with a guy who totally stonewalled me. The guy won't give me his last name, won't tell me the name of the person he works for, won't transfer me to another soul. AND, the guy can't/won't help me! He would not give me the name and phone number of the general manger of the store or the store's district manager information. He did not take any information from me on the particulars. The only thing I got him to do was make a phone connection to someone in the store, again, the number was a big secret. You cannot call the HQ of this company and talk to anyone in authority.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm going to assume this link is not work-friendly?

Eh, skip it. I haven't seen the video.

It was a link to a Bikini Bandits movie...

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Ummm....actually I can.

NTTAWWT
Awesome.

Why would there be anything wrong with it? Everything is so right about that.

Raiderhader
11-29-2004, 01:47 PM
This is a great site! I think I see shogun mentioned here:

Yeah, it's a great site. All of the employees talk about it and laugh in secret. Infact, if you want to see some real horror stories, forget the customer experiences and go to the employee section. I saw some bad stuff in regards to employees in my time serving the evil empire, but there are things on that site that just blow me away (though very believable).

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 01:58 PM
As for your situation, I think I see the problem, you called the tech support line when you should have called the sales office to activate your software. Again, square peg the round hole.

Actually, sales connected me to tech support, and tech support handles all registration passcode issues. Believe me, I followed protocol and read all FAQs and data before even placing the call. I realize the situation is rare that a PC is no longer connected to the 'net, but it is stupid for a company to assume that all PCs are, and even less intelligent that the company is not prepared for my situation regarding the passcode.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 02:00 PM

Something oddly appealing and soothing about a site linked to gyromart.com

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Sometimes its fun to rip in to the occasional customer.

XXXshogunXXX
11-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Who are you kidding...it went more like this:

Tech: (in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) Let me check your connections.
Caller: Ok, but I don't believe that's the problem.
Tech: (once again in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) Let's check it anyway.....
After 20 minutes, no progress because the Tech Support person can't figure it out anymore than the consumer can...
Tech: Well, you need to take your machine to the nearest service center. I've gone thru all the steps that are part of the normal progression.
Caller: You mean you can't help me?
Tech: (in a pissy, arrogant asshole tone) Sorry I can't.
Frustrated caller hangs up......

Off line:
Tech: You guys should have heard this idiot.....

Most usually the people who are "wannabe techs" know better than to call Tech Support, because they know they either end up with an arrogant a$$hole like you or someone who is just reading from a script.

Let me help you here.....In my many years of business experience, I've had every type of customer (internal and external, a concept you probably don't understand) on my phone. Customer Service and Tech Support have been a part of my responsibility on many occasions, and I can say with complete assurance, that you would never last long in a reputable Tech Support Department. And also, you've never come close to having to deal with angry or upset customers until you have to do Collection work.

The above is nothing more than a reflection of your attitude to the world. And it gives a perfect example why your attitude is as it is....your "boss" was your teacher and "children" (meaning Team Member) live what they learn. As stated before, I have been a Manager in both Customer Service and Tech Support, and I can tell you that what is important in "servicing" the customer is solving their problem if it is within the capabilities of my department while maintaining a positive attitude with the customer.

mmaddog

haha...you're saying you worked at tech support...and are blaming tech support people for being arrogant...that would include you . I worked at tech support for a year, the turnaround is usually 3 months. wrong again dick. your false reanactment is bs...the person didnt have the modem plugged into the correct port, therefore it didnt work, once it was plugged it...it worked. How can you tell me I was wrong in that case, That was a true story. It worked once it was correct..but the caller just frustratingly hangs up? yeah right, this sounds like a personal incident.

It sounds like you were burned during a call. You're always mentioning tech support being arrogant. Let me guess, You called in for help, but after 15 minutes, the tech was furiously upset because you couldnt find the start key, didnt know how to reboot your computer, in a frustrated and angerful move, you hanged up the phone.

"Most usually the people who are "wannabe techs" know better than to call Tech Support, because they know they either end up with an arrogant a$$hole like you or someone who is just reading from a script"

Yes, that's true. People that know what they're doing, dont call in. The people that DONT know anything, like the "wannabe techs" (you) call in for help, they talk back to the techs, and end up being WRONG. We had network administrators call in all the time asking for help. They were the worst ones, had an attitude like htey knew better...but are still calling for help.

The person paying the money is correct even if they aren't correct. If you don't want to deal with paying customers who are arrogant, work with bovine scooping poo.

almost 100% of the time the customer is wrong. You cant have the mentality where the customer is always right working in this field. Thats why I said there's a difference between tech support and customer service. People are buying a $30 wireless card, and they think they own us. here's a little story. this btch got disconnected with my friend. She calls back and demands to speak to my friend again, but he's on lunch. We said he can have him call her back when he's done, or she can speak to a level 2 tech. .....not good enough for her.... She demanded to get him off lunch immediately and continue with the original call. So of course, we tell her we cannot do that, he's on lunch, please respect that. Then she threw a fit, and said she will be writing a letter to the company. My supervisor gladly gave her the address.

Heres another story.
Another btch calls in and has a wireless card that does not work. I check her OS, and she's running WIN98FE. The card specifically states that WIN98SE is required. She is furious, saying it will work, because the guy at Bestbuy told her it would, and now she's teling me I don't know what I'm talking about. She said it worked before, but I checked device manager, and it looked like it hadn't been installed. She is still convinced it would work, and there was nothing I could do. I got a supervisor, he spent another 10 minutes trying to convince the whore she's mistaken, and furiously hung up and said.."fine ill take it back!".

The Customer is not always right. The callers do not own us, we dont bend over like customer service. We offered tech support, that doesn't make us your slaves. I have a feeling when you walk into a resturant, if you dont get your way, you make a scene and put down the person serving you, request a supervisor, get their names, etc. Alot of piss eventually ends up in your soup. I just let stuff go, You have to be in the shoes of another person.

Yes we get paid for this, but we don't have to take this much bs, alot of you think it's right. I never called the caller's idiots or put them down over the phone. You guys made it sound like I was completely irrational or ignorant trying to make them feel stupid. I helped them out alot. Why would I need to sound arrogant during a call, I just want their equiptment to work, so I can get off the phone. It's just 30% of the time, I had alot of dumbfcks who thinks they know what they're doing, and they alwyas ended up being wrong. I still dont understand, they ask for help, but they dont like to receive it. Even when they eventually ended up being wrong, they still convinced themselves they were right.

If any of this sounded like you....you're the type of person who always ended up being served golden urine clamed chowder. karma..btches...

Logical
11-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Actually, sales connected me to tech support, and tech support handles all registration passcode issues. Believe me, I followed protocol and read all FAQs and data before even placing the call. I realize the situation is rare that a PC is no longer connected to the 'net, but it is stupid for a company to assume that all PCs are, and even less intelligent that the company is not prepared for my situation regarding the passcode.

Perhaps you should not have bought an e-machine.;)

KCTitus
11-30-2004, 06:02 AM
Titus.....

I understand his frustration, but not his response. Since you have been in T.S. for so long then you know that making the customer feel like an idiot is NOT the answer to the problem.

And I believe that's what I said...I understand the source of the frustration. Yes, making the customer feel like an idiot is not the answer, rather it is the biggest challenge.

How do you answer questions of 'how did you fix it?' or 'what was the problem?' when the answer is something like "I turned the computer on" and not make the customer feel like an idiot?

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 06:33 AM
What are the chances Shogun will be starting a "I got punched in the nose" thread one of these days?

Jenny Gump
11-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Sometimes its fun to rip in to the occasional customer.

Well duh. You should see how they talk about you when you're put under anesthesia.

Raiderhader
11-30-2004, 12:21 PM

Sound advice.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Yes, that's true. People that know what they're doing, dont call in. The people that DONT know anything, like the "wannabe techs" (you) call in for help, they talk back to the techs, and end up being WRONG. We had network administrators call in all the time asking for help. They were the worst ones, had an attitude like htey knew better...but are still calling for help.

Really? I would venture to state you are the classic case of exactly what is wrong with American tech support today. "If you are smart, you wouldn't be calling me" is not a healthy attitude to take toward your customers. I knew exactly what I was doing when I called the tech support department in my description. The morons who designed the product did not forsee all possibilities, and the techs who provide service for the company are morons who simply don't have the cognitive ability to act on their own. And the owner of the company should be damned glad I didn't get someone with your reasoning on the phone because several letters of complaint would follow along with demands to know the resolve of your situation. I would have definitely ended up with at least an apology from the general manager regarding such an attitude along with some perks for my problems.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:23 PM
LOL.

ENDelt260
11-30-2004, 12:58 PM
What are the chances Shogun will be starting a "I got punched in the nose" thread one of these days?
You really think he has the stones to be an arrogant dick to a person's face?

Raiderhader
11-30-2004, 01:02 PM
You really think he has the stones to be an arrogant dick to a person's face?

It does not necessarily take guts to do such a thing - stupidity can garner the same result.

go bowe
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
It does not necessarily take guts to do such a thing - stupidity can garner the same result.i'm totally sure you're not speaking from personal experience/self-awareness... :thumb:

Raiderhader
11-30-2004, 01:50 PM
i'm totally sure you're not speaking from personal experience/self-awareness... :thumb:

Who? Me? Naaaaw. :)

XXXshogunXXX
11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
You're making this too easy.....:rolleyes:

First go back and read what I typed....I Managed both CS and TS....and yes I blamed some of my Techies of being arrogant. And they usually didn't last long if they were......you're starting to sound like one of the guys I released...makes me wonder if you aren't the same guy.

Sorry Bubba.....I've been working with computers since you were nothing but a gleam in the eye of two love struck Raider fans making out in the back end of a Pacer Wagon. If I call Tech Support it is usually because there is a need to speak to a REAL expert, not a pretender like you.

Making a lot of ASSumptions here....most of the knowledge that I have gained is because I listen to those who are more capable at "hands on" stuff than I am. My job is a Manager, which doesn't always necessarily mean the guy most capable of fixing things, but making sure the Department runs correctly. Some are leaders, and some are followers.....you my friend fit in an altogether different category, the guy who is always the "a$$-end" of the team. One whose view will never change because all you get to see is the "my side of thing" POV.

Wrong, dead wrong. But that seems to be a common event for you.

1) You're never a slave if you are truly helping people, but you will never be able to comprehend that. You are destined to be a very bitter person drifting in and out of satisfaction with your job.

2) The above scenario sounds more like you than me.....you're the guy who wants to call people idiots, so I bet all that you posted is something that you've either done to the waiter, or as a cook in the back, you've done to a customer....

I worked waiting tables in high school and some in college, so I know what hassles that service personnel get. I respect good service when I get it, and reward thusly. I rarely call out the Manager because I know that he is probably busy having to deal with an a$$wipe like you that he has on his payroll. Most waiters/waitresses are diligent workers...and try to serve well...I rarely give one a hard time.

LOL....this last part is just you whining. Get over it....you've proven that in life you pretty much suck when it comes to work and servicing a customer (once again internal & external, grasped that concept yet?) without conflict.

BTW, your spelling still sucks.

mmaddog

youre an idiot. Its obvious you have trouble grasping the truth. You are very assured that i was a lousy tech, and I couldn't handle being on the job. But I was there for a year, exceeding the average turnaround rate. That makes your assumptions false. I could post my performance review and show my scores, word for word exactly what I got. Since you think you know me so much...and how I actually did on the job...I could post it.

Tell me what you would do in this situation.
"this btch gets disconnected with my friend. She calls back and demands to speak to my friend again, but he's on lunch. We said he can have him call her back when he's done, or she can speak to a level 2 tech. .....not good enough for her.... She demanded to get him off lunch immediately and continue with the original call. So of course, we tell her we cannot do that, he's on lunch"

This was not my call, I didn't even handle it. What would you do Mr rogers...it's your motto to bend over for the customer. Tell me how you would resolve this situation...and truly help your little angel.

Pants
11-30-2004, 10:19 PM
This thread is still alive?
:rolleyes:

XXXshogunXXX
12-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Second, my experience would teach me that if she got disconnected, she would be calling back pretty quickly, and I wouldn't head to lunch until she called back. Your mistake is leaving to go to lunch without solving the problem!!!! That shows a lack of training and desire to do the job correctly.
mmaddog

You are a complete fckin idiot. When a person is disocnnected by the call, they call back and talk to someone else. Our tech support was made up of 3 call centers in different cities. They refer to their case ID with the next tech support agent.. When the caller was disconnectd, you expected my friend to wait for her to call back and reach him again? Again, this is tech support, not bitch support. I have a hard time believing you worked at tech support. "hmmm....this person got disconnected, I'm not going to take my lunch, I'm just going to wait till she calls back, even though when she calls back, theres a 99% chance she'll talk to another agent, i'll just continue to wait". unbelievable... you take customer service to another level...you're the customer's bitch.

"maddogg's tech support policy. if a caller is disconnected, please do not take your lunch or go home until the caller calls back. The person may reach a different agent when calling back, but it is a possibility we have to live with".... does not compute, does not make sense, your employees mustve hated you.

Dartgod
12-01-2004, 04:50 AM
...you'd know what each tech goes through and wouldnt mind the the attitude towards the callers. Our own boss reffered to the callers as idiots. It goes with the territory with phone centers. What's more important in the call...solving the problem? or acting nice while not resolving the original issue? it's tech support...not btch service.

...almost 100% of the time the customer is wrong. You cant have the mentality where the customer is always right working in this field...

The Customer is not always right....
You and KCChiefsman should open a restaurant together.

KCWolfman
12-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Saul wouldn't go

XXXshogunXXX
12-01-2004, 09:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by XXXshogunXXX
"maddogg's tech support policy. if a caller is disconnected, please do not take your lunch or go home until the caller calls back. The person may reach a different agent when calling back, but it is a possibility we have to live with".... does not compute, does not make sense, your employees mustve hated you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again we get a visit to your Bizarro World.....the turnover in the Departments I manage is less that 1% and that includes promotions within and outside the company.....
mmaddog

You just quoted me on something and didnt mentioned what you had quoted. That makes no sense. You just completely avoided the quote, so I'll give you a chance to explain yourself again. The text is in bold.

maddogg's TECH SUPPORT POLICY. If a caller is disconnected, please do not take your lunch or go home until the caller calls back. The person may reach a different agent when calling back, but it is a possibility we have to live with

This is almost word for word what you said re: the solution, why did you completely avoid it. Explain your disconnect policy. I cannot imagine a call center running with that kind of rule.

I tell you what....when you've managed to last in a profession successfully for more than 28 years come see me. But I'm betting that by the time you reach my age you will have seen many jobs, been fired several times, and will be blaming the world for your situation

I know you think of yourself as a customer service god, but you have to get over yourself. Ive never been fired, so don't assume anything. I've already offered to post my review since you keep calling me the worst tech ever. OF course, your reponse will be.."even if you post your review..you know you wrote it yourself!". I can easily say you're lying about your profession as well, for all I know you could be a female dancer. See how easy that is?

Jenny Gump
12-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Are either of you ever going to shut up?

I think the horse is rotting.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Naw, they'd just get in arguments over who gets to be rude to the customers.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Not to mention it would put RNR in
a quandry over which one of them to punch in the mouth first.

go bowe
12-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Not to mention it would put RNR in
a quandry over which one of them to punch in the mouth first.you suppose we could sell tickets to that one? :shrug: