PDA

View Full Version : Any idea about how much it might cost to finish a basement?

Fat Elvis
11-26-2004, 04:15 PM
The wife and I are thinking about finishing the basement in the new home. We have about 1500 square feet to finish. It would be two bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom and our theater room. Anyone have any idea how much that might cost before we start taking bids?

Thanks

Fat E

Braincase
11-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Does your employer know about your plans to extensively use Italian Marble and custom wood trim from old growth forests? :)

Phobia
11-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Generally $55 a square foot. Depending on what you want, I do it for around $45. But, the bathroom is going to skew the cost upwards some, depending on how nice you want it. Exponentially more if it isn't already stubbed in.

Fat Elvis
11-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Does your employer know about your plans to extensively use Italian Marble and custom wood trim from old growth forests? :)

They are cool with that; I just have to hide the gold faucets....

Phobia
11-26-2004, 04:28 PM
I just ran our last basement project through the calculator and we're closer to $30 per sq ft on this one. I guess it depends on what you want done and what the substrate looks like.

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey, FE, aren't you the guy who was on here a couple months ago fretting about being able to afford that house? What the hell happened? Did you win the lottery?

Fat Elvis
11-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Hey, FE, aren't you the guy who was on here a couple months ago fretting about being able to afford that house? What the hell happened? Did you win the lottery?

I'm still fretting. i just figure if we are going to have to finish the basement anyway, it will prolly cost more the longer I wait. Might as well take all my poison at once.

Fat Elvis
11-26-2004, 04:38 PM
I just ran our last basement project through the calculator and we're closer to $30 per sq ft on this one. I guess it depends on what you want done and what the substrate looks like.

What did that entail, if I might ask?

Braincase
11-26-2004, 04:57 PM

The bidet. Make sure he gets a bidet. After this season, we're all going to need a good cleansing.

cdcox
11-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Lamar saved $6M when he finished in the basement.

Phobia
11-26-2004, 08:08 PM

A great room, wet bar with cabinets, 1 bedroom & closet, and a bathroom conversion from 1/2 bath to full. Roughly 1000 sqft in a walkout basement, which is why it was cheaper. Two other factors which saved that customer money were that they didn't want any soundproofing between the 1st level and basement, and they allowed us to carpet right over the concrete instead of taking on the expense of a subfloor. They got a pretty attractive price, IMO. If you find somebody to bid it by the time and materials, you can find a decent price, too. If it were my basement, I would try to avoid somebody who quoted you based on the actual square footage.

memyselfI
11-26-2004, 08:11 PM
The wife and I are thinking about finishing the basement in the new home. We have about 1500 square feet to finish. It would be two bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom and our theater room. Anyone have any idea how much that might cost before we start taking bids?

Thanks

Fat E

hopefully you will be taking bids with the idea of doing as much as you can yourself. Assuming you know what you are doing, that will be the only way to really save money. If you don't, leave it to the pros. Ka-ching.

Being married to a contractor rocks...that is when they actually have the time to do the job. You know the old saying 'the vet's dog has fleas...'

unlurking
11-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Just hire Phobia, then you both can send a finder's fee to the Planet and hopefully we can get some of the missing festures back!

:)

Bob Dole
11-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Just hire Phobia, then you both can send a finder's fee to the Planet and hopefully we can get some of the missing festures back!

:)

Bob Dole is pretty happy that the festures are missing.

Fat Elvis
11-26-2004, 08:26 PM
A great room, wet bar with cabinets, 1 bedroom & closet, and a bathroom conversion from 1/2 bath to full. Roughly 1000 sqft in a walkout basement, which is why it was cheaper. Two other factors which saved that customer money were that they didn't want any soundproofing between the 1st level and basement, and they allowed us to carpet right over the concrete instead of taking on the expense of a subfloor. They got a pretty attractive price, IMO. If you find somebody to bid it by the time and materials, you can find a decent price, too. If it were my basement, I would try to avoid somebody who quoted you based on the actual square footage.

We hav ethe rough in plumbing for the bath. We are looking to finish two bedrooms with closets, and finish off the theater room. We'd like a riser in the the theater room and have the wiring ready for the speakers.

unlurking
11-26-2004, 08:29 PM
LOL

oops

Guess I should have hired a better contractor to make my posts! That's what I get taking the basement priced bid with no references.

;)

dtebbe
11-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Being married to a contractor rocks...that is when they actually have the time to do the job. You know the old saying 'the vet's dog has fleas...'

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My mom was married to this loser that was the best carpender in the county. Built all the high $$$ houses for all the rich folks. Meanwhile we lived in a 1960's 12x60 trailer. No kidding. Sure makes me appreciate what I have now... that's for sure. Best of all the trailer was parked behind the liquor store we owned, so everyone knew exactly what kind of $hithole we lived in.

DT

ENDelt260
11-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Owning a liquor store and living in a trailer. Sounds like the American Dream to me!

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Owning a liquor store and living in a trailer. Sounds like the American Dream to me!
These damn kids today don't know when they have it made. :p