PDA

View Full Version : Q&A Trent 11/26

nascher
11-26-2004, 07:56 PM
A number of guys on the defensive side were just recently re-signed to contracts. So the off-season is going to present a number of issues in terms of what direction the organization decides to head and what direction the coaching staff decides to head in terms of the salary cap and a lot of that will be answered in the next six weeks. If guys look at it any differently they’d be fooling themselves.”

hmm maybe some big money Guys get the Axe

Holliday, Woods etc.

royr17
11-26-2004, 08:22 PM
WTF is this about, they come out and say it already personally and if this sure the hell doesnt look like a Q & A with Trent to me ... I know one thing though in the draft if these 2 players are still on the board they better draft OLB Derrick Johnson of Texans and S Michael Huff of Texas in the 1st 2 rounds.

FloridaChief
11-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Link, muthaf*cka...

Coach
11-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Q&A QB Trent Green
Nov 26, 2004, 4:25:18 PM

Q: Without knowing all the details, can you put your finger on what has turned things around for Chargers QB Drew Brees?

GREEN: “I think there’s a couple things. The more you’re in this system – he’s been in this system for a couple years – I think the more you’re in it, the more comfortable you get with the terminology. They’ve also improved personnel-wise; their offensive line’s playing better, giving him more time. (TE Antonio) Gates has stepped up and obviously given them a target they didn’t have a year ago. Wide receivers are playing well; Keenan McCardell came in and stepped in and done a critical role. And you always have (RB LaDainian) Tomlinson to fall back on. I just think everybody around him getting better from a personnel standpoint and just his comfort zone from being in the offense longer. I think all that has helped. I think once they made the draft-day trade for (QB) Phillip Rivers, he took the approach of ‘Hey, I’ve got nothing to lose. I can either play my way out of this league or I’m going to make the most of it and have an opportunity to start for this team or another team.’ It’s obvious which direction he’s taken. He’s playing very well and I think with that confidence, he continues to grow. Obviously it gives confidence to the players around him in the huddle. It gives (offensive coordinator) Cam Cameron the confidence to call plays that put him in position to help the team and he continues to make plays for them. It’s just an overall growing experience and he’s done a tremendous job.”

Q: You spent two years with Cam Cameron in Washington; how similar are these two offenses?

GREEN: “It’s been a pretty smooth transition for (former Chiefs TE) Billy Baber. Everything’s pretty much the same.”

Q: Can T Chris Bober fill in for John Welbourn who is now out for the year?

GREEN: “It would be a lot bigger issue if Chris hadn’t been rotating in this season, if he hadn’t been getting the playing time and the reps that he has up until this point. I think the biggest thing from his standpoint is having to play the entire game whereas he and John rotated in previous weeks. It’s a big loss, losing John, he’s been battling injuries really all season. I think Chris has gotten a lot of work because of the rotation they had, that it will be pretty smooth for him.”

Q: Will it be better on that side (right tackle) with a guy with two healthy knees?

GREEN: “I don’t know. They both bring different things they do better. They each can do different things well. John obviously has the reputation and the presence of a big overpowering guy and Chris may (be better) in terms of moving around a little bit better and in terms of his feet, and that may have to do with his knees. But they both do things well. I don’t know if that changes what we do from a play-calling standpoint.”

Q: Is there still something to keep playing for?

GREEN: “There’s all kinds of things to play for now. Number one’s your job. Early in the year, you’re continually playing for your job but you’re trying to make the playoffs and win and build up in terms of the team’s concerns. Right now, when things are going bad the way they are, people are looking – and I’ve been asked this several times now both by people around football and away from football, ‘What do you guys play for?’ Hopefully guys are playing for their livelihood. If we continue to struggle the way we have over the next six games, there’s no choice in the off-season: something’s going to happen. So if guys want to be here. Some of the young guys and even the old guys for that matter, if guys want to continue playing in the NFL, they like their jobs and like doing what they do, they have to show because is the time of year, this is the tough time of year when you’re looking for motivation to get out there and do it. But you prove a lot about yourself from a character standpoint and what you are as a person when you’re playing through adversity and through tough times. I think that will only help individual players and help teams as we grow and move on through this season and into next season is how guys respond and how they finish up the year.”

Q: Is there a personal sense of pride on the line as well?

GREEN: “I think that’s an individual thing. Once again, I’ve said throughout the year, I’m not a big cheerleader guy. I try leading more by example and my preparation and how I prepare and try and carry it over to the field. I’ve tried to be a little more vocal this year than I have in the past. Hopefully guys understand the situation that they’re in and this time of year when things aren’t going well and guys get mixed up or continually look for excuses or those kinds of things – there really hasn’t been a lot of that. But as the season progresses you can really learn a lot about people and that pride factor kicks in as well.”

Q: Do guys want to hear that they’re playing for pride at this time?

GREEN: “No. Not when we’re sitting 9-1 at this point a year ago. The expectations that we had… You play for pride every week. I do. You don’t want to go out and make a fool out of yourself. You try and play to the best of your ability every week.”

Q: How is this different from the 2001 season?

GREEN: “It’s quite a bit different. In 2001 we were really trying to get everyone on the same page in terms of the program. Guys were just learning about Coach Vermeil and what he was all about, what his program was all about. Guys were trying to figure out the offense, the terminology. We were trying to figure (things) out from a personnel standpoint because from a personnel standpoint it was set up to run more like a West Coast offense and this isn’t a West Coast offense. So there were a lot of different things heading into 2001. So going into ‘02, you’re right, it was a building process. If you remember that year (2001) I think we won three of our last four games and there really was some good building blocks going into ‘02. This year being much different because we’re a veteran team. We’ve got nine guys over 30 years old. From a defensive standpoint we’ve got more young guys on that side of the ball but you have a new defensive scheme. A number of guys on the defensive side were just recently re-signed to contracts. So the off-season is going to present a number of issues in terms of what direction the organization decides to head and what direction the coaching staff decides to head in terms of the salary cap and a lot of that will be answered in the next six weeks. If guys look at it any differently they’d be fooling themselves.”

Q: Do you feel that changes have to be made to move forward next season?

GREEN: “Not necessarily. We were hit by some injuries that maybe didn’t initially look as big as (they were). I think in terms of special teams and in terms of depth, (WR) Marc Boerigter was a much bigger loss than people realized. And you say ‘How can you say that be? (Look at) the number of catches and those things.’ Him being on the field, defenses needed to know where he was because of what he had done the previous season: 20 catches and eight of those 20 were touchdowns. When he came on the field people had to take notice and know where he was. So that may either open up Tony (Gonzalez) or open up the outside receivers. That’s just one example. I think that’s the evolution of football and how the salary cap works, there are going to be changes. There were changes from a 13-3 team to now. I think coach said there were 15 new players on the 53 (man roster) and here we were 13-3. If there were that many changes coming off a division title and 13 wins, you know there’s going to be roughly that same number if not more.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/11/26/qa_qb_trent_green/

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 09:09 PM
What might have been about Brees: If he hadn't come out of it this season and some team like the Chiefs had picked him up as a backup, and then he started playing like he is now, the Marty detractors on this board would be saying "See, Marty ruined him and the ______coaches saved him."

the Talking Can
11-26-2004, 09:21 PM
"I’ve said throughout the year, I’m not a big cheerleader guy. I try leading more by example and my preparation and how I prepare and try and carry it over to the field. I’ve tried to be a little more vocal this year than I have in the past. Hopefully guys understand the situation that they’re in and this time of year when things aren’t going well and guys get mixed up or continually look for excuses or those kinds of things – there really hasn’t been a lot of that. But as the season progresses you can really learn a lot about people..."

he's being as diplomatic as possible, throughout the interview, while trying to say the obvious- guys aren't carrying their weight and they're going to get axed [we hope].....

chiefs4me
11-26-2004, 09:26 PM
I got a question for you trent baby,,,what the frig is up with all the frigging interceptions!!!

Big Chief Homer
11-26-2004, 10:37 PM
A number of guys on the defensive side were just recently re-signed to contracts.

please tell me hes talking about this past off season!?!?!?!?!?

I hope to god no one on that defense just recently got a new contract.

Deberg_1990
11-26-2004, 11:55 PM
I got a question for you trent baby,,,what the frig is up with all the frigging interceptions!!!

seriously! especially the red-zone INT's!! The one on Monday Night was a killer! If he would have just thrown the ball away and we took the three points, we would have been in much better position to win the game at the end of the game. I dont understand why Trent doesnt throw the ball away more often when is he under pressure or nothing is there??? I love him to death but he has had this problem every year he has been here.

CrazyHorse
11-27-2004, 06:29 AM

Not trying to sugar coat it too much. But I think that a lot of the picks havent been his fault. Some have, but a great deal have been tips, or Morton falling down, or Gonzo getting mauled in the end zone. He has fumbled a lot though.

Deberg_1990
11-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Not trying to sugar coat it too much. But I think that a lot of the picks havent been his fault. Some have, but a great deal have been tips, or Morton falling down, or Gonzo getting mauled in the end zone. He has fumbled a lot though.

Trents main problem, and this has been a problem thoughout his career, is his redzone INTs. That pisses me off to no end!! I dont understand why he cant just throw it away and take the 3 points when nothing is there?? I guess that the coaching philosphy of this offense though is to try and be agressive. But sometimes its just plain stupid. Dont want to dog on Trent too much but thats been his biggest problem in his 4 years here.

Calcountry
11-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Trents main problem, and this has been a problem thoughout his career, is his redzone INTs. That pisses me off to no end!! I dont understand why he cant just throw it away and take the 3 points when nothing is there?? I guess that the coaching philosphy of this offense though is to try and be agressive. But sometimes its just plain stupid. Dont want to dog on Trent too much but thats been his biggest problem in his 4 years here.
This sums up our whole season IMO. I actually was expecting an intercept on that drive, and I was not surprised.

The Texans was a win without the intercept.

The Bucs was a win without the fumble at the 5

The Saints was a win without the fumble after the long pass play and the Trent intercept later.

Who knows in the Pats game if they go in for the score there, but it is still a reach even if they score.

6-4 is a long way from 3-7.

I know, losers find excuses and woulda shoulda's, but that is all I have right now.

Deberg_1990
11-27-2004, 12:52 PM
This sums up our whole season IMO. I actually was expecting an intercept on that drive, and I was not surprised.

The Texans was a win without the intercept.

The Bucs was a win without the fumble at the 5

The Saints was a win without the fumble after the long pass play and the Trent intercept later.

Who knows in the Pats game if they go in for the score there, but it is still a reach even if they score.

6-4 is a long way from 3-7.

I know, losers find excuses and woulda shoulda's, but that is all I have right now.

Its just been a problem with Trent throwing INT's in the redzone for the past 4 years ive noticed. We all remember the infamous Seattle game in 2002.

AirForceChief
11-27-2004, 03:23 PM

...but the critical picks have been poor passes (even w/ the non called pass interference). Texans and Patriots endzone interceptions were both balls that should never have been thrown. You can't count on flags, especially when Gonzo is involved. He's a physical TE, so he gets no love from the zebras.

chiefs4me
11-27-2004, 04:55 PM
seriously! especially the red-zone INT's!! The one on Monday Night was a killer! If he would have just thrown the ball away and we took the three points, we would have been in much better position to win the game at the end of the game. I dont understand why Trent doesnt throw the ball away more often when is he under pressure or nothing is there??? I love him to death but he has had this problem every year he has been here.

Well you coulda spread some love my way,,,;)

alpha_omega
11-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Maybe he is simply trying too hard...what with the defense and all!