PDA

View Full Version : KFFL: Gonzo

Wile_E_Coyote
11-27-2004, 01:33 PM
<A name=202774>Chiefs | Fast Fact: Tony Gonzalez - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:25:50 -0800Jerry Magee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) TE Tony Gonzalez (http://www.kffl.com/player/1001/nfl) is just 18 receptions shy of surpassing former San Diego Chargers (http://www.kffl.com/team/31/nfl) and Hall of Fame TE Kellen Winslow for total career catches. In eight seasons with the Chiefs, Gonzalez has 523 receptions while Winslow has 541 receptions through nine seasons.

shaneo69
11-27-2004, 01:37 PM
I used to like Winslow when he was playing. But I think he's been a complete jackass since his career ended.

FloridaChief
11-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I used to like Winslow when he was playing. But I think he's been a complete jackass since his career ended.

Father and son stand as two of the biggest assholes in NFL history....F*ck them both...

Deberg_1990
11-27-2004, 01:40 PM

He raised a "Tru Soldja"

Wile_E_Coyote
11-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Kansas City's star set stage for Chargers'

By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER November 27, 2004 XXX

KANSAS CITY, Mo. It was Kellen Winslow who redefined the tight end position, giving it a shape and dimension that before him it had not possessed.

Enter Tony Gonzalez. He is doing the same things Winslow did when he was with the Chargers, only faster.

In his eighth season with the Kansas City Chiefs, Gonzalez is pressing toward equaling what Winslow did in nine seasons. With just 18 more receptions, Gonzalez can surpass Winslow's career total of 541.

Gonzalez's career is further defined by these figures: No active tight end has more receptions (524), receiving yards (6,380) or touchdown catches (52) than the former Cal athlete from Huntington Beach.

"He definitely is setting the standard for tight ends," Chargers tight end Antonio Gates said of Gonzalez, like Gates a former basketball player.

Maybe they ought to just let Gonzalez and Gates get together some place where there is a hoop and settle tomorrow's Chiefs-Chargers encounter with a little game of "HORSE." At Cal, Gonzalez was a member of a team that went to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Tournament. Gates served a Kent State team that did a bit better, gaining the Elite Eight.

Football, however, is their game now. They are establishing that going up for a rebound when the lane is clogged and three other guys have their elbows in your face is useful preparation for anybody interested in lining up at tight end in the NFL.

"They play well in the air," Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said of Gonzalez and Gates, "and they're used to having their bodies jostled."

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer made the point that playing tight end comes down to a player knowing how to create space between himself and a defender. "And you do that with your body mass and jumping ability," he said.

Tight ends generally have a good deal of body mass.

To Gonzalez, agility is the quality that can transform former basketball players into effective tight ends.

"You're going to find a guy who is the power forward type, around 6-4 or 6-5, an athletic type," he said. "We're not tall enough for the NBA; we're kind of 'tweeners.' So the best thing I wouldn't say the next-best thing is to go out there and play football."

Gonzalez cited Gates and Kellen Winslow Jr., who had what would have been his rookie season with the Cleveland Browns eliminated by a preseason injury. "I think Kellen Jr. would make a good power forward," Gonzalez said.

Tight ends don't trace their origins to mythology, but they might. Insofar as they must block like a tackle and go downfield like a wide receiver, they are like a Pegasus, half horse, half winged creature. Gonzalez, it should be noted, is aware of how the position has evolved.

"Some people say, 'Why do you think tight ends are leading the league in catches?'" he said. "They talk about the 5-yard chuck rule, which really means nothing. You saw that on Monday night."

He was referring to a play late in the second period of the game against New England. Quarterback Trent Green sought to reach Gonzalez, who was impeded by two Patriots, perhaps improperly. The pass was intercepted.

Vermeil seethes when discussing how rival defenses handle Gonzalez.

"They don't call holding or pass interference when Tony is involved," he said. "He always gets held, chucked or tackled. Twice, we've had Tony called for pushing off, and both calls were ridiculous."

To Gonzalez, tight ends are becoming more prominent not because of any rules changes but because better athletes are aligning at the position. "Guys are coming in who can make plays," he said.

Before the Chiefs invested their ranking draft selection in 1997 in Gonzalez, Carl Peterson wanted to be assured the tight end he so admired wouldn't prefer to pursue a future in the NBA. Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt holds an 11 percent ownership interest in the Chicago Bulls. Peterson, the president, general manager and CEO of the Kansas City club, said he placed a call to Jerry Krause, then GM of the Bulls.

"Carl, he's a terrific basketball player," Peterson said he was advised. "But he should make his living catching the oval-shaped ball instead of the round-shaped ball."

Which he is.

BIG_DADDY

I agree I hope JR's career is a short one and we never have to listen to these assholes again.

Braincase
He raised a "Tru Soldja"

Destined for fame, fortune and injured reserve.

Sure-Oz
11-27-2004, 02:12 PM
I hope Gonzo has a huge day tommorow so some of those SD pricks can shutup about Gates. Knowing our D Gates will probably have a bigger day.

Ari Chi3fs
11-27-2004, 03:08 PM
i didnt know that Lamar owned part of the Bulls... I wonder for how long...