PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Chocolate

BigMeatballDave
11-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Is chocolate really lethal to dogs or is this another urban legend?

My son's mom believes this to be true. I don't know. I do know that I've seen some dogs eat it with no ill effects...

Phobia
11-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Chocolate is bad for dogs. That is not an urban legend. What quantity is lethal? I have no idea.

Miles
11-27-2004, 10:06 PM

My son's mom believes this to be true. I don't know. I do know that I've seen some dogs eat it with no ill effects...

Im not sure how bad it is for them but i do know its lethal to your carpet.

Phobia
11-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Actually, I do have some idea. A little won't hurt, it takes a whole lot to be lethal. But, you're not supposed to let them aquire a taste for it because if they get into a large stash, they'll eat it until they're dead.

BigMeatballDave
11-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Im not sure how bad it is for them but i do know its lethal to your carpet.
ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Chocolate made for human consumption can cause death in dogs. Dogs are sensitive to a class of chemicals called methylxanthines. Caffeine and theobtomine are members of that family. Dogs simply cannot metabolise and excrete methylxanthines as efficiently as humans. The half life of those compounds in the human body is in the order of 2 to 3 hours, in the dog it is more like 18 hours.

In a dog the compounds are taken up by the liver and transmitted via the bile into the intestine. They are then converted back into the original methylxanthines for another circuit through the animal. This repeats itself a number of times and instead of getting rid of the substances the dog keeps repoisoning itself-

There are many formulations of chocolate with varying amounts of caffeine and theobromine. The lethal dose of sweet milk chocolate for a dog is 2 oz per kilogram of bodyweight. For a 5 kilogram dog this would be about 280 grams. A lethal dose of milk chocolate for a 25 kilogram would be about 1.4 kilograms.

Dark chocolate is at least 10 times as lethal. A 25 kilograms dog could die from the methylxanthines in 5 ounces.

Symptoms include vomiting, hyperactivity, restlessness, hypersensitivity to touch ( a dog will jump when touched very rapid heartbeat and rapid breathing rate. A loss of control of leg muscles, muscle tremor seizures, general weakness, coma and finally death follow.

BigMeatballDave
11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Actually, I do have some idea. A little won't hurt, it takes a whole lot to be lethal. But, you're not supposed to let them aquire a taste for it because if they get into a large stash, they'll eat it until they're dead.Some women are like this too...

Coach
11-27-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm eating chocolate chip cookies. Gave quite a few to my dog. He seems normal.

BigMeatballDave
11-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Maybe its just certain breeds that have allergies to it. Anyway, I don't plan on feeding to my dog, I was just wondering...

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm eating chocolate chip cookies. Gave quite a few to my dog. He seems normal.

NOT a good idea.

jynni
11-27-2004, 10:26 PM
We had a 70lb Dalmatian that ate half a chocolate cake and sixty chocolate chip cookies (at different times). He never suffered any ill effects, however, this dogs also ate rocks.

But as UserName said it all depends on the amount of "pure" chocolate to body weight of the dog.

Carob is a good chocolate stand in for dogs. I think the Three Dog Bakery makes carob chip cookies and stuff.

Coach
11-27-2004, 10:29 PM
We had a 70lb Dalmatian that ate half a chocolate cake and sixty chocolate chip cookies (at different times). He never suffered any ill effects, however, this dogs also ate rocks.

But as UserName said it all depends on the amount of "pure" chocolate to body weight of the dog.

Carob is a good chocolate stand in for dogs. I think the Three Dog Bakery makes carob chip cookies and stuff.

http://www.chiefzhuddle.com/html/emoticons/yeahthat.gif

Skip Towne
11-27-2004, 11:26 PM
I would advise anyone reading this thread to disregard anything posted by Username. He is the village idiot and can not be taken seriously.

Jenson71
11-27-2004, 11:33 PM
We feed our dog chocolate a lot, for him being just a small cocker. My mom gives him a lot...of course she's wanted him dead ever since we got him.

The Pedestrian
11-27-2004, 11:47 PM
You guys really need to look at snopes more often....

Chocolate's toxicity to animals is directly related to three factors: the type of chocolate, the size of the animal, and the amount of chocolate ingested. Unsweetened baking chocolate presents the greatest danger to pets because it contains the highest amount of theobromine, approximately 390-450 mg. per ounce. White chocolate contains the least. As a general rule of thumb, one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight can be lethal for dogs and cats. (Milk chocolate contains approximately 44-66 mg of theobromine per ounce.)

Theobromine affects the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys, causing nausea and vomiting, restlessness, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and increased urination. Cardiac arrhythmia and seizures are symptoms of more advanced poisoning. Other than induced vomiting, vets have no treatment or antidote for theobromine poisoning. Death can occur in 12 to 24 hours.

This type of poisoning is uncommon because it is rare that a dog, even a small dog, will eat enough chocolate to cause anything more than an upset stomach. Yet it can happen, especially if the animal gets into baking chocolate or powdered cocoa, two forms of the sweet particularly loaded with theobromine.

tommykat
11-27-2004, 11:49 PM

It is lethal....like an M&M is not a biggie, but the candy bars or cookies are killers....

Taco John
11-28-2004, 12:26 AM
I would advise anyone reading this thread to disregard anything posted by Username. He is the village idiot and can not be taken seriously.

I'd advise anyone reading this thread to disregard anything posted by Skip Towne. He is the board dumbass and nothing he says can be taken seriously.

Feeding chocolate to your dog is definitely bad because of the amount of processing of poisons that their livers have to do. Too much chocolate, and their liver is overwhelmed.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htm

It's kind of ironic, really. Dogs and and buzzards are equipped to be able to eat carrion without a whole lot of trouble. But too much chocolate, and your dog comes up stiff...

Phobia
11-28-2004, 12:34 AM
You guys really need to look at snopes more often....

Why? That information has already been posted on this thread.

RedNFeisty
11-28-2004, 12:46 AM
I had a five pound terrier at one point, that little shit ate a whole box of chocolate covered cherries. Nothing happened at all, and that box was a hell of alot bigger then that dog. Like said before it depends on the chocolate, the dog and the amount.

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2004, 01:20 AM

I would advise you to change your depends.

Michael Michigan
11-28-2004, 01:32 AM
One of my dogs has eaten chocolate his whole life.

He's 15 and still going strong.

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2004, 01:35 AM

What do you mean by all his life?

Michael Michigan
11-28-2004, 01:39 AM
What do you mean by all his life?

Since he was a puppy.

All his life.

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Since he was a puppy.

All his life.

Right but what kind of chocolate and how much and how often?

ENDelt260
11-28-2004, 04:28 AM

He's the dog version of the 102 year old man that has smoked a pack a day since he was 13.

Bwana
11-28-2004, 09:00 AM
I asked my vet about this about a year ago. She said it depends on the kind of chocolate and the weight of the dog. She advised me to keep the dogs away from the stuff because it was like rolling the dice.

the Talking Can
11-28-2004, 09:15 AM
what about dogs and guns?

is that a lethal combination?

BigMeatballDave
11-28-2004, 09:58 AM

is that a lethal combination?Depends on the size of the dog and the caliber you are using...

Bwana
11-28-2004, 10:01 AM

is that a lethal combination?

The people that own the two mutts across the alley that won't stop barking 24/7 may be able to answer that for you in the near future.:)

BigMeatballDave
11-28-2004, 10:02 AM
So basically, as long as I don't top my dogs food off with M&Ms and chocolate syrup 2-3 times a day, he should be ok if he would happen to get a hold of a few chocolate chip cookies...he's a golden retriever, BTW...

Big Chief Homer
11-28-2004, 10:18 AM
my german shepard a few years back,got into a full box(50 count) of movie size baby ruths that my daughter was selling for a fundraiser.she ate the entire box.

when we returned home i rushed her to the animal hospital were they pumped her stomach and gave her some sort of fluids.she was fine after that,but she started to develop problems with her eyes and immune system about 1 year later.the vet said it COULD have been some sort of damage done earlier by the chocolate incident, since she was only 4 when she died.

Bwana
11-28-2004, 10:19 AM
So basically, as long as I don't top my dogs food off with M&Ms and chocolate syrup 2-3 times a day, he should be ok if he would happen to get a hold of a few chocolate chip cookies...he's a golden retriever, BTW...

I would say yes, but on the other hand, I wouldn't go out of my way to feed him the stuff.

Michael Michigan
11-28-2004, 11:11 AM
He's the dog version of the 102 year old man that has smoked a pack a day since he was 13.

He second hand smokes a couple of premium cigars a day as well.

Rain Man
11-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Chocolate aside, dogs should not be allowed to operate heavy machinery without supervision.

Braincase
11-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Moral of the story: Never let your bitch lick that sweet dark chocolate.