PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Hall's fumble keys Chiefs' latest loss

tk13
11-29-2004, 02:10 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10291466.htm

IT'S OUT OF HAND

Hall's fumbled return keys Chiefs' latest loss

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

As if transported by some magical time machine, the Chiefs found themselves back in their dream season of 2003 on Sunday. Dante Hall, one of their yesteryear heroes, at long last had nothing in front of him but the Arrowhead Stadium grass.

The trip back in time lasted all of about 10 seconds before a sudden jerk back to reality. Hall, tantalizingly close to his first touchdown of the season, lost the ball deep in San Diego territory on the second half's opening kickoff without being touched.

The play was the difference not only between past and present, but also in the Chiefs' 34-31 loss that dropped them to a mind-boggling 3-8. Had Hall held on to score, the Chiefs would have expanded their lead to 10 points and, perhaps, had the momentum and breathing room they needed.

“If he scores there … I know this place,” said Chargers linebacker Donnie Edwards, who played six seasons for the Chiefs. “Everybody would have erupted and they could have overwhelmed us then. Instead we end up with the ball, and I had a good feeling we were going to win then.”

Of course, Edwards was right. Hall scored later on a 96-yard kickoff return, but the Chiefs weren't good enough to overcome his fumble and the division-leading Chargers.

The play certainly was a familiar one for the Chiefs this season. Hall's fumble, at the San Diego 15-yard line, was the Chiefs' ninth turnover inside the opponent's 20 and sixth in their four-game losing streak.

“Think how many times we've been five yards from scoring, 10 yards from scoring and the ball gets knocked out,” Hall said. “It's unexplainable. It's almost scary. I feel like there's a ghost out there or something.”

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil felt much the same way.

“To see Dante take that kickoff all the way back and then fumble the darn thing … it's just one of those years,” Vermeil said.

Right before the fumble, the Chiefs started to think their string of rotten luck had finally ended. Hall busted into the open field, and there were no penalty flags around as he headed for the end zone.

“I was already celebrating,” said the Chiefs' Fred Jones, who plays on the kickoff return team. “Once he passed me, I knew he was going to the house.”

Only this time, Hall, who scored five touchdowns on kick returns last season, didn't make it to the house. He was chased hotly by San Diego's Kassim Osgood, but Osgood never laid a hand on him.

Hall shifted the ball from one arm to the other at the Chargers' 15, and it popped out. After a scramble, Jerrell Pippens recovered for San Diego.

“It should have been six,” Hall said. “It shouldn't have happened regardless of whether the guy was coming or I got tired or I got hit.

“It's inexcusable, holding that ball like that. If we get that return, we go up by 10 and it's a totally different ballgame. We're calling the game differently on offense and differently on defense.

“A bad play by me. No excuses at all. It just came out. Why it came out or how it came out … I can't remember that ever happening to me. For whatever reason, it just came out.”

Hall's kick return for a touchdown, in the fourth quarter, gave the Chiefs a 31-24 lead. But those seven points weren't enough to hold off the Chargers for 10 more minutes until the end of the game. The margin would have been 14 if Hall had hung on one quarter earlier.

“Because of the field position we would have been in, it would have been a good way to start off the second half,” quarterback Trent Green said. “It would have been a big momentum change.”

As things turned out, it was. Dante Hall was again, at long last, the X-factor. He just wasn't the X-factor the way he was last season.

Hall gamely answered questions and took the blame afterward, but he clearly was longing for a different time.

“For a while, it did seem like last season,” Jones said. “We're not down on Dante, by any means. I don't think anybody really said anything to him. I know I like to be alone in my misery. But he knows we've got his back.”

Rain Man
11-29-2004, 09:55 AM
I was bummed about this. Really.

Logical
11-29-2004, 09:59 AM
To blame the loss on this is just stupid. Our 500 yard defense gets the blame. Only the blessing of two missed field goals kept us in this game.

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Only the blessing of two missed field goals kept us in this game.Exactly. Those misses and Halls fumble is a push. If you count all of thoes missed points by both teams, we still lose by 2...

KCTitus
11-29-2004, 10:03 AM
It has been uncanny how KC has fumbled inside the 5-10 yard line going in to score.

Im starting to believe the 'snake bit' stuff...

KC get's a good run, long pass--called back by penalty.
KC get's a defensive stop/sack--penalty to give the other team first down.
KC get's a good run/long pass and no penalties called--fumbled on the 5.

Turnovers have been the key to this seasons losses.

jcroft
11-29-2004, 10:05 AM
The Hall fumble didn't lose us this game. It sucked, but there are a lot of other things to point to before this as "keys" to the loss.

jspchief
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
It's just a snapshot of our team this year. Lack of execution. Lack of concentration. Lack of professionalism.

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm REALLY &$^%ing tired of seeing our wideouts drop balls. If I were their coach I would make them work an extra hour after each practice on the juggs machine. Any dropped balls in practice = $ fine.

They wouldn't like me as their coach.... no hugging.

Sure-Oz
11-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Atleast we know Dante still has it.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm REALLY &$^%ing tired of seeing our wideouts drop balls. If I were their coach I would make them work an extra hour after each practice on the juggs machine. Any dropped balls in practice = $ fine.

Wait a sec, GoatCheese told us last week that our WR's have stopped dropping passes. So, wtf are you talking about...
:rolleyes:

Agreed. Our WR's, when they get open, drop waaaaaaaay too many balls. It's a fn mistake that can't happen when you have a defense like our's/

jspchief
11-29-2004, 10:25 AM

They wouldn't like me as their coach.... no hugging.

Dropped passes. Missed tackles due to not wrapping up. This team is completely devoid of fundamentals. It's one thing to miss out on the spectacular plays, but these guys are blowing the routine ones. The coaches have a lot to answer for.

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 10:26 AM
IMO it's one of the reasons we can't come back in the 4th quarter. When the game is on the line and we need lots of yards in a short amount of time, our receivers cannot be counted on. All a D has to do is double or triple-team Gonzo.... our wideouts can typically be neutralized by single coverage.

jsp - damn straight. Lack of fundamentals is HUGE. Half of these guys appear to be completely lost. Horrible tackling, poor angles, out of position.... it's so bad it's almost comical.

jcroft
11-29-2004, 10:42 AM
IMO it's one of the reasons we can't come back in the 4th quarter. When the game is on the line and we need lots of yards in a short amount of time, our receivers cannot be counted on.

No question about this. Our WRs are key to the fact that we can't make a comeback. Still, I think we need to focus on defense in the offseason so that we can actually stop someone and not HAVE to make a comeback every week.

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Agreed. ALL D in the draft. Add a vet WR via FA.

Molitoth
This article is pure bullsh*t.

I thought Dante Hall showed the perfect example of how the rest of the players on the team should act.

He made a mistake, he went back out and fixed it. Which is what the rest of the team needs to go out and do.

BTW,

I was sitting at my desk when I heard the announcer say "Hall back for the return" so I had to turn my head and watch like I always do, but I felt something special about this return, I had a feeling he was finally going to break one. And he did, and I was crushed at the 5 yard line.

but!

Right before the next commercial break they had a closeup of Hall on the sidelines with the most pissed off / boggled face I had ever seen. And I told my friend, "Dont worry he will bust another one".... Which he did.

If Hall or Holmes makes a mistake, you can always count on them coming out the next play they have a chance and give it thier all, and correct that mistake. Which is something we cannot say for our defense who come out play after play and get beat down. But they do not care, because they know they arn't losing thier jobs.

jcroft
Agreed. ALL D in the draft. Add a vet WR via FA.

Sounds good to me.

jcroft
11-29-2004, 10:46 AM
If Hall or Holmes makes a mistake, you can always count on them coming out the next play they have a chance and give it thier all, and correct that mistake. Which is something we cannot say for our defense who come out play after play and get beat down. But they do not care, because they know they arn't losing thier jobs.

Yep. Dante definitely has a winners attitude. He's a team player and a serious competitior. Gotta love that about him...

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2004, 10:50 AM
It has been uncanny how KC has fumbled inside the 5-10 yard line going in to score.

Im starting to believe the 'snake bit' stuff...

KC get's a good run, long pass--called back by penalty.
KC get's a defensive stop/sack--penalty to give the other team first down.
KC get's a good run/long pass and no penalties called--fumbled on the 5.

Turnovers have been the key to this seasons losses.You're right. Did you see the stat the showed from last season? This years TO ratio is down to -7 compared to +18 from last season...

KCTitus
11-29-2004, 11:07 AM
You're right. Did you see the stat the showed from last season? This years TO ratio is down to -7 compared to +18 from last season...

yep...

cash1000
11-29-2004, 11:11 AM
This why I have no respect for the sports media these so-called experts don't know anymore than we do! The Chiefs lost because they gave up 34 points!

Gaz
11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Hall's fumble was a terrible psycological blow. He finally uncorked one and it looked like the Chiefs were back to 2003 form. Not only did he fumble, but he fumbled without anyone laying a finger on him. You could feel the energy sucked out of the Red & Gold faithful.

Still, the Offense had a chance [TWO chances, actually] to win the game and choked.

Just like they have in every loss.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wondering where the octane went.

ChiefsOne
11-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Teichers an idiot, you can't even come close to blaming Hall for loosing the game. If he would have scored we would have been up by ten, but that changes the whole dynamics of the game. Nothing else would have worked out the same way.

We might have went on to win, but the Chargers might have kicked it in the ass even more on our D and scored a bunch more.

One thing different and nothing after that is the same.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Teichers an idiot, you can't even come close to blaming Hall for loosing the game. If he would have scored we would have been up by ten, but that changes the whole dynamics of the game. Nothing else would have worked out the same way.

We might have went on to win, but the Chargers might have kicked it in the ass even more on our D and scored a bunch more.

One thing different and nothing after that is the same.

I'd say he atoned for the fumble with the 2nd return. However, it was an absolute drop kick to the solar plexus relative to momentum.

jspchief
11-29-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't blame it for the loss, but I still find it inexcusable to fumble in that manner. It just makes me sick to watch us f*ck up in such creative ways. There are a lot of guys whose heads aren't in the game.

Raiderhader
11-29-2004, 12:33 PM
I don't blame it for the loss, but I still find it inexcusable to fumble in that manner. It just makes me sick to watch us f*ck up in such creative ways. There are a lot of guys whose heads aren't in the game.

In recent weeks we have seen both Kennison and Morton get a ball knocked out of their hands from a defender behind them. I'm guessing that since Dante kept changing hands to keep the ball as far a way as possible from the defender that this was on his mind. At least he was thinking about protecting the ball. The net out come was the same, but it was nice to see that he had learned from other's mishaps. I do not mean this as a defense of him fumbling with out being touched, but all things taken into consideration, it is hard to find too much fault in the guy.

I felt like someone had just come up and kneed me in the groin when that ball popped out. I sat there completely numb and speechless for several minutes. I was just completely sick to my stomach. Infact, just thinking about it has me a little queasy right now.

go bowe
11-29-2004, 01:08 PM
In recent weeks we have seen both Kennison and Morton get a ball knocked out of their hands from a defender behind them. I'm guessing that since Dante kept changing hands to keep the ball as far a way as possible from the defender that this was on his mind. At least he was thinking about protecting the ball. The net out come was the same, but it was nice to see that he had learned from other's mishaps. I do not mean this as a defense of him fumbling with out being touched, but all things taken into consideration, it is hard to find too much fault in the guy.

I felt like someone had just come up and kneed me in the groin when that ball popped out. I sat there completely numb and speechless for several minutes. I was just completely sick to my stomach. Infact, just thinking about it has me a little queasy right now.too much beer?

but you may be right about dante trying too hard to protect the ball after the previous week's fumbles on the way to the goal line...

and everyone fumbles one time or another...

it's just that the chiefs lately have been finding the worst possible time to do it... :( :( :(

Raiderhader
11-29-2004, 01:15 PM
too much beer?

Heh, not this time. Though I thought about downing a bottle of something very hard after the fumble.

but you may be right about dante trying too hard to protect the ball after the previous week's fumbles on the way to the goal line...

and everyone fumbles one time or another...

it's just that the chiefs lately have been finding the worst possible time to do it... :( :( :(

The timing was bad, the fact that it happened with out him being touched was worse. He was gone, that was a touchdown, and the ball just pops out on its own. Just one of those freak things that happens from time to time (or all of the time in the case of the Chiefs this season).