PDA

View Full Version : Well I guess we can look at the bright side...

DaWolf
11-29-2004, 05:14 AM
Next year everyone on offense save Blaylock is still under contract and will be back and healthy. Welbourne will have a year under his belt and his knee should be back. Offense should still score points, and we'll probably do everything possible this time around to upgrade the WR's since the pass dropping problem is still extremely evident as is the inability to move the ball in crunch time. Kris Wilson will be healthy and ready to apparently do what they expected from him this year. And as we can see from the rule changes, TE's are having a much bigger impact on the game now, so he could help out a lot teamed up with Gonzo, assuming he is everything the Chiefs claim he is. And Gonzo will get that surgery on his foot to fix the pain there and will be primed for another huge year, especially now with a rival TE in Gates in San Diego threatening his Pro Bowl spot.

The defense is bound to have plenty of new faces on it. Yes I think Gunther has taken a bad defense and made it worse through some poor coaching decisions and ego this offseason, but at least now he's had a firsthand look at what he has in front of him and like GRob before, can go into draft day and influence the type of defenders we draft, which will probably be the bigger and more physical type defenders than the smaller quicker ones GRob preferred.

The Chiefs, barring a case of this team becoming good again when it matters the least, will have a top 5-6 draft pick, which means the ability to draft an immediate impact player for your ballclub, not some project. We don't really need a QBOTF quite yet, as Green still probably has 2-3 more years in him. And we are set at RB. So that takes away two of the toughest positions to accurately evaluate in the draft. Unless Carl is an utter moron, and I don't think he is, we will draft someone who will start for us. Hopefully they make more of an impact than Ryan Sims, but if treated right we could get an impact player there. Add to that the fact that our 2nd rounder will be a very high 2nd rounder, and we theoretically should have a shot at two guys who can add a significant amount to this team next year.

We should have a next to last or last place schedule, and have I believe the NFC Least on the schedule. San Diego will have to start Phillip Rivers who has yet to play plus teams are less likely to take them lightly, the Donx will be the Donx and probably be good enough to hang around the divisional race all year but not good enough to do anything after that, and the Raiders have a bunch of crap they need to do to fix that team too, hopefully Turner will be back for another year.

Carl, the last time he had an inactive offseason that backfired on him following a 13-3 year (1996) followed it up with a busy offseason aimed at fixing what was wrong with the team, and we had 11 new starters on offense and defense in 1997 and went 13-3 again. So I expect once again a busy offseason. And in the NFL, it just takes one offseason to fix things.

If we can get a few playmakers on D, improve the recievers, and go into next year reducing the number of turnover we make, play smarter in the red zone, reduce mental mistakes and dumb penalties, and play fundamentally sound football which will reduce the amount of points we give up and increase the amount of points we score, we'll be right back where we expected to be this year before it all began. The trend is that teams who usually lose a bunch of close games one year find ways to win them the next year, and vice versa. It all comes down to coaching. This year, every decision that could go wrong has, and every bounce that could go against us has. Last year, the opposite.

So it can be done. We have been, if nothing else, fiscally responsible during the Vermeil era and our cap room should be fine in the upcoming year. Anything that needs to be done can be done by good bookkeeping. This season has been real disappointing and has pissed me and most of you off royally, but the good news is that the offseason will present a tremendous opportunity to the coaches and front office. They will have ample opportunity to make the right moves and get this thing back on track. It's been done before by other teams. Why not us? Yeah I know, I am dubious of this front office's ability to draft right and sign the right guys. But this ain't an election, there is no choice, those are the guys in charge, they have to get it done.

And if Carl and Dick can't get it done, well, if memory serves their contracts are both up after 2005...

elvomito
11-29-2004, 05:52 AM
good points.
what i'm afraid of is, CP and DV will place blame for offensive woes(the slow start) on the injuries to Wilson and Bo and decide it was a fluke and "keep their current players who they know."
Meanwhile, on the defensive side, they will determine that if the pass rush was better, our secondary would therefore be better, and keep the safeties and CBs, while adding two new starters to the d-line. maybe an LB too.
they will think that if wesley, woods, bartee, or warfield go to another team, they will end up bieng an impact player(like joe horn). and they'd probably be half right(but we can't take a chance like that right). but what are you supposed to do when you get ten or so guys with 10% loser in them each? you got problems.
what do you do to get a dominant defense, like baltimore? they did it in basically 2 years right?

ChiefFripp
11-29-2004, 05:57 AM
The Chiefs may lose but atleast their games are always entertaining and come down to the wire. What can I say, they lose in a grand fashion. As Long as we beat The Raiduhs twice and beat The Broncos, I'll be somewhat happy with The Chiefs, even if it is a wasted season.

htismaqe
11-29-2004, 06:12 AM
I'm extremely nervous about handing a top-five pick to Carl and Dick and saying "here ya go...have at it"

DaWolf
11-29-2004, 06:19 AM
good points.
what i'm afraid of is, CP and DV will place blame for offensive woes(the slow start) on the injuries to Wilson and Bo and decide it was a fluke and "keep their current players who they know."
Meanwhile, on the defensive side, they will determine that if the pass rush was better, our secondary would therefore be better, and keep the safeties and CBs, while adding two new starters to the d-line. maybe an LB too.
they will think that if wesley, woods, bartee, or warfield go to another team, they will end up bieng an impact player(like joe horn). and they'd probably be half right(but we can't take a chance like that right). but what are you supposed to do when you get ten or so guys with 10% loser in them each? you got problems.
what do you do to get a dominant defense, like baltimore? they did it in basically 2 years right?
I think Baltimore was a 2-3 year thing. They basically sucked for a while and drafted right, and got very right with Ray Lewis.

We need to do it in basically 1 year. So I don't expect anything close to a dominant D being put together. It is very possible to do what San Diego is doing, which is get a good run stopping D in place and while we'd allow teams to move the ball, we have to find good red zone defenders to keep them out. That means getting bigger and more physical.

And we just have to find a way to get turnovers. Gun's D just doesn't work if we don't get them. Some D's are able to get you 3 plays and a punt. Gun is more of a bend but don't break guy, who requires the big sack or the big turnover on drives. We got them last year because GRob's D was more of a "place your guy in the right place and they can make the play" type while Gun is a "sack em or hit em hard and get the bad throw or the fumble or the sack" type. We need to find those kinds of players. I have no idea whay we didn't try to do at least some of that this offseason because it is obvious these types of defenders are not the kind that work in that kind of a D.

I don't think it is a matter of having to sign an all pro at every position. We just need to bring in solid football players who can play smart and get to the ball and do the type of things this D needs to do, it doesn't matter if I've never heard of them. But the talent evaluators better find guys who can play and the coaches better coach them to their strength...

DaWolf
11-29-2004, 06:24 AM
I'm extremely nervous about handing a top-five pick to Carl and Dick and saying "here ya go...have at it"
Their track record doesn't fill me with confidence either. But all we can do is hope that they finally figure it out. Carl's either goint to have to earn his paycheck this offseason or he's gonna have to live with the fact that he's tarnished his dream coach's and dear friend's legacy...

Warrior5
11-29-2004, 08:59 AM
I'd like to personally thank you for such an articulate, optimistic analysis.

My gut tells me that the window closes after nest season.

All good points, and very do-able; it gives me some hope during this time of absolute suckdom.

the Talking Can
11-29-2004, 09:05 AM
you are high

ok, sorry, I'm still too bewildered to think about next year...I apreciate the optimism

I just can't get over the fact that our D has basically gotten worse every year for 4 years. No one in this franchise has my confidence regarding that.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 09:07 AM
We HAVE TO, let me repeat, HAVE TO have a difference maker on Defense. We don't have one player that can change the course of the game on D. No player that can step up and make a stop when we absolutely need one. No player that takes charge and rallies the D. For phucks sake, in 2005, let's do what we have to do to get THE guy.

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 09:09 AM
ALL D in the draft. CB, LB and DE should be top priority.

Add a vet WR via FA.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-29-2004, 09:10 AM
As Long as we beat The Raiduhs twice and beat The Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons), I'll be somewhat happy with The Chiefs, even if it is a wasted season.
Not to be a downer....but don't hold your breath...

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 09:14 AM
ALL D in the draft. CB, LB and DE should be top priority.

Add a vet WR via FA.

YES! :thumb:

Exactly what I'd like to see, along with a key Defensive FA.

wolfpack0735
11-29-2004, 09:15 AM
the offensive line has gone along time without any major injury for as old as they are. queen carl wont spend the money for a top dog receiver or teir one defensive players. he will get second, third tier players. he isnt smart enough to sign or draft people, and to make matters worse we probably wont have the cap money to get the right or enough new men make a differnce but he makes lamar money so hunt will put up with it. he might even reward us die hard fans by raising our ticket prices. :clap:

ROYC75
11-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Playmakers, we need a min.4 , 5 would be best on this D to go with what we have.

Question is, Can we find at least 4/5 playmakers in FA and or draft ? (Chances of developing one from within are slim)

DE
MLB
CB
SS

Crap, another strong PU @ DT couldn't hurt us one bit either.

Do we have the cap ? Will CP and Lamar pony up ?

IMHO, nope and nope with the dope and dope.

It is going to take Gun another 2 years of drafts and seasons to mold this tream where we once was, of course by then, our offense will already have been wasted .