PDA

View Full Version : Nothing has changed, our division is weak

Tuckdaddy
11-29-2004, 10:39 AM
as I've ever seen it. No matter who wins the division, as it stands now, the winner will have to play 3 on the road to get to the SB. Denver did it with John but probably can't do it with Plummer. We know Marty's has played solid this year but 3 road playoffs games? Not a chance in hell they even get two wins.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Actually Daddy T whoever wins the AFC West gets a home game in the playoffs.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 11:44 AM
This is kinda lame... SD and DEN are better than a vast majority of the teams in the NFL right now. I don't think either is playing like a team that can win it all, but who knows what will happen when the playoffs start. It's all about matchups and where you play.

If DEN can pull off the divisional title and get a game in DEN... then there's no telling what happens. Same for the Chargers. If either had to start off on the road, then that's another question.

The division as a whole is not dominating, but SD and DEN are better than 22 other teams. They're not quite as good as 4-6 teams that qualify as "elite" teams, but they're both in the top 10.

jspchief
11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
I honestly can't come up with a reason to doubt the Chargers other than "they're the Chargers".

Offensively, they're very similar to KC. Good RB, good TE, solid QB, mediocre WRs. They aren't as prolific at scoring, but they're getting there. the team is loaded with young talent due to years of sucking. It only makes sense that some of this talent will eventually develop, and the team will be good as a result. The defense isn't great, but they're solid.

I guess the fact that they haven't played many quality opponents factors in, but I'm starting to think the Bolts might be more "for real" than I originally gave them credit for.

The Broncos on the other hand, do not strike me as play-off caliber. Any game that Jake Plummer is playing in is wide open IMO. They just seem like a team that can lose to anyone, and are lucky to win when they do.

Hitman37
11-29-2004, 05:25 PM
I honestly can't come up with a reason to doubt the Chargers other than "they're the Chargers".

LOL literally! I couldn't help but laugh at this because I can understand your point of view me being a Charger fan since about 1979. Anyway, I hope you guys are right. Besides the Bronco game I am really looking forward to how we stand up against Indy @ Indy. That will be a true test, and if we can pull off a win @ home this weekend and @ Indy, I think that's when people will believe we are a real contender with wins against KC @ KC, Denver, & Indy @ Indy. Until then, I'm sure it'll be the same old "they're the Chargers". ROFL

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 05:36 PM

Offensively, they're very similar to KC. Good RB, good TE, solid QB, mediocre WRs. They aren't as prolific at scoring, but they're getting there. the team is loaded with young talent due to years of sucking. It only makes sense that some of this talent will eventually develop, and the team will be good as a result. The defense isn't great, but they're solid.

I guess the fact that they haven't played many quality opponents factors in, but I'm starting to think the Bolts might be more "for real" than I originally gave them credit for.

The Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons) *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons) on the other hand, do not strike me as play-off caliber. Any game that Jake Plummer is playing in is wide open IMO. They just seem like a team that can lose to anyone, and are lucky to win when they do.

I don't think you're giving either team enough credit, but that's fine. It appears that you think DEN is lucky to have won even 1 game this season. That is silly. There are strong players on both sides of the ball, DEN has a very nice team. Same for SD.

jspchief
11-29-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't think you're giving either team enough credit, but that's fine. It appears that you think DEN is lucky to have won even 1 game this season. That is silly. There are strong players on both sides of the ball, DEN has a very nice team. Same for SD.

??? I'm actually giving the Chargers quite a bit of credit.

And I certainly don't think DEN has won every game game due to luck. I do know that you've been forced to win games in spite of your QB, and should count yourself lucky to have gotten out of some them with a win. You've won some games where your team has played like sh*t. Obviously, you're going to think differently because you are a fan of that team. Denver just doesn't do anything that is "scary". They run the ball very well, but I don't expect that to be enough when facing some of the higher scoring offenses that you'll face in the play-offs. Just my opinion.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't see anyone beating the Pats or Steelers besides each other...

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 06:47 PM
??? I'm actually giving the Chargers quite a bit of credit.

And I certainly don't think DEN has won every game game due to luck. I do know that you've been forced to win games in spite of your QB, and should count yourself lucky to have gotten out of some them with a win. You've won some games where your team has played like sh*t. Obviously, you're going to think differently because you are a fan of that team. Denver just doesn't do anything that is "scary". They run the ball very well, but I don't expect that to be enough when facing some of the higher scoring offenses that you'll face in the play-offs. Just my opinion.

I have no issues admitting that they have won games in spite of Plummer and he has been the reason they have won games as well. I agree that offenisvely they are not scary like Indy and defensivley, they are not scary like the Ravens. Overall, they are a very nice team.

|Zach|
11-29-2004, 06:58 PM
I have been of the mindset that nobody from the AFC West will do anything of signifigance in the offseason. I have thought this since Atlanta beat Denver in their own house the way they did. Denver is just to inconsistant. They do not get it done week in and week out. I am still disgusted that the Jags game counts as a W for them.

I think the Chargers are very good but won't quite have enough to go deep in the playoffs.

Next year though....watch out for the freakin Chargers.

Actully watch out for the AFC West I bet every single one of the teams improves a great deal.

Taco John
11-29-2004, 07:07 PM
This is kinda lame... SD and DEN are better than a vast majority of the teams in the NFL right now. I don't think either is playing like a team that can win it all, but who knows what will happen when the playoffs start. It's all about matchups and where you play.

It's a common tactic by fans of losing teams... Since their team isn't on top, "the division is weak." Let the records be damned. We don't have the records that New England and Pittsburgh have, but I haven't seen a compelling case that makes any other division so much better than ours.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 07:08 PM
It's a common tactic by fans of losing teams... Since their team isn't on top, "the division is weak." Let the records be damned. We don't have the records that New England and Pittsburgh have, but I haven't seen a compelling case that makes any other division so much better than ours.

And I'd argue our division is tougher than 3 of the 4 in the NFC...

Taco John
11-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Obviously, you're going to think differently because you are a fan of that team.

More like because we actually watch the games...

Anyone who says that we win despite Plummer simply has no clue what they are talking about.

|Zach|
11-29-2004, 07:10 PM
I don't think it is a case of being bad as much it seems like both these teams seem as though they will pan out like last year's Chiefs...

They won't have what is needed to get it done in the playoffs but the records will be solid if not great.

TEX
11-29-2004, 07:16 PM
I have been of the mindset that nobody from the AFC West will do anything of signifigance in the offseason. I have thought this since Atlanta beat Denver in their own house the way they did. Denver is just to inconsistant. They do not get it done week in and week out. I am still disgusted that the Jags game counts as a W for them.

I think the Chargers are very good but won't quite have enough to go deep in the playoffs.

Next year though....watch out for the freakin Chargers.

Actully watch out for the AFC West I bet every single one of the teams improves a great deal.

Do you mean that the DONX beat the Jags? Or are you saying you're disgusted in how the Jags beat us? Because, I believe the Broncos lost to the Jags when "Barry" fumbled...

TEX
11-29-2004, 07:18 PM

Um...do division records against common opponents mean anything to ya? :hmmm:

|Zach|
11-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Do you mean that the DONX beat the Jags? Or are you saying you're disgusted in how the Jags beat us? Because, I believe the Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons) lost to the Jags when "Barry" fumbled...
No they beat them bc a BS penalty put them out of FG range.